Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Popehoist posted:

Bazett herself is quite capable of beating Saber however at the same time would likely lose to any of the Shikis who don't really posess any form of desperation attack to trigger Fragarach.
The first time she meets Saber Bazett is cut down almost immediately. Only by savescumming and with Avenger's help does she manage to make Saber use Excalibur. Bazett is pretty good at fighting though and, since she's a human, she wouldn't ignore their attacks thinking they aren't a threat, which reduces the usefulness of the Shikis' ability to kill anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Repeating this post in case anyone missed it in the page change.

jonjonaug posted:

We interrupt this incredibly spergy discussion to remind you that the first episode of Fate/Zero will be available in less than two hours.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Yea, I totally forgot that this was coming out today.

I thought I had more time to play Fate Stay/Night, but I guess I'll catch that after I watch this anime.

It's a prequel, so it shouldn't be a problem if I play Stay/Night after, should it?

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

Grashlok posted:

Yea, I totally forgot that this was coming out today.

I thought I had more time to play Fate Stay/Night, but I guess I'll catch that after I watch this anime.

It's a prequel, so it shouldn't be a problem if I play Stay/Night after, should it?

it has spoiler on heaven's feel arc.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Skwerl posted:

it has spoiler on heaven's feel arc.
It also spoils Fate (which was adapted into the anime series), since Saber's past and identity, the appearance and identity of a significant adversary as well as the consequences of the 4th Grail War and the nature of Grail are utilized as twists. You should be able to enjoy Fate/Zero but it does assume people have already read F/SN and thus spoils it quite a bit.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Episode 1 is up on Niconico now! http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1317450438

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

That was pretty good, even if it was really only setting up the pieces for the rest of the series. It's too bad the Nico stream is so low quality though, I wish I could watch this in HD. Also, make sure to disable to scrolling comments before you watch the video, I got a decent amount of stuff spoiled for me because I didn't know how at first. (Press the speech bubble next to the volume control)

Kariya is pretty cool, although I get the feeling he's going to die horribly somewhere down the line :(. I like Waver (what kind of a name is that) too, although that's mostly because I find it funny how unprepared he is.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Just finished the first episode. I think it was a good introduction to the 4th war for someone who has finished Fate/Stay Night VN, but it definitely spoils huge chunks of the VN. Seems like we're getting the usual ufotable quality in storytelling, but its hard to judge the animation when the web player is so lovely.

With such a strong introduction episode, I'm really excited for the whole series. I can't wait for a Holy Grail War without "anime moments", teenagers, or cooking scenes.

What was with the scene with Waver and his grandparents?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

brainwrinkle posted:

What was with the scene with Waver and his grandparents?

I may be totally off base, but I was under the impression they weren't really his grandparents, and just some shmucks he magicked into thinking were his grandparents for a place to stay in Fuyuki city.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cake Attack posted:

I may be totally off base, but I was under the impression they weren't really his grandparents, and just some shmucks he magicked into thinking were his grandparents for a place to stay in Fuyuki city.

This is correct.

I really like how well they did the worm scene.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I can't wait for some of the somewhat subtle details in this episode to be recalled later =)

A very very wordy episode. Somewhat off-putting even if it's necessary to set up the stage. The part where Kotomine's dad and Tokiomi were pacing around him was comically melodramatic even. Still, the episode gets me excited for the war to start up and the visuals are already hinting at what might come.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

edit: There's a 720p source coming later if you know where to look and that's all I'm allowed to say on that

But yeah no major complaints about it so far. Seems like we might actually be getting a GOOD Type Moon anime.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

I just finished it, and it was a great first episode. Out of all the new characters, I enjoyed Kariya the most. I can't wait to see how he and Berserker interact. Kotomine's voice actor is loving incredible; I loved the slight pauses in his voice when he was reading about Emiya. Their eventual meetings are going to be the highlight of the series.

The cherry on top for this episode was Gilgamesh's line in the preview: "You aren't worthy to gaze upon me" :allears:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I just finished watching the episode.

It is just as good as I had hoped. I was worried the most about how the anime would handle Kariya, but the way you can see things crawling under his skin is brilliant.

Is it next Saturday yet?

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Rodyle posted:

According to UTW:

So there's your 720p and higher source as many guessed.

But yeah no major complaints about it so far. Seems like we might actually be getting a GOOD Type Moon anime.

Thanks for the heads-up but as a reminder to you and others ITT it's bannable to discuss fansubs for any show with a legal distribution option.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That was good.

Was this first episode special, or will the rest of the show also be 47 minute episodes, anyone knows?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Even though it was a lot of :words:, I actually thought that was an enjoyable first episode. As someone with only a passing interest in F/SN, I only know the most basic poo poo about it and I'm genuinely glad they took basically an entire hour to explain what the hell was going on. I can't wait to see the fighting actually start.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
How many episodes is this set for? I thought it was 24 but seeing that the first episode was double-length makes me think 12.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Huh. To be honest, I don't think they have enough content to fill 25 1hr episodes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

WickedIcon posted:

How many episodes is this set for? I thought it was 24 but seeing that the first episode was double-length makes me think 12.

25 I think.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm pretty certain that only the first episode is double length. I've no idea if we'll get any more of those down the line.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

If I didn't already have some interest/background in this series, I think the first episode would have bored me to death. I still plan to stick with it for now.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

I was going to comment on how great the ED was, and how it was better than most OP's. Then I found out that was the OP they showed at the end. :downs:

Here it is is you want to see it in HD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjXJe_HgdMo

I love how everyone is striking these awesome, dramatic poses in typical action anime fashion. Everyone except Kariya, who looks like a strung out heroin addict. That's both funny and really, really depressing.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Marin Karin posted:

I was going to comment on how great the ED was, and how it was better than most OP's. Then I found out that was the OP they showed at the end. :downs:

Here it is is you want to see it in HD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjXJe_HgdMo

I love how everyone is striking these awesome, dramatic poses in typical action anime fashion. Everyone except Kariya, who looks like a strung out heroin addict. That's both funny and really, really depressing.

I really don't like that they went for this kind of peppy JPOP nonsense for Fate Zero. Fate Zero really just begs for either some booming orchestra pieces, or something more low key. Hell, even remixing This Illusion again would be fine.

Nifty animation though.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
Oh man that was good. I really liked the way they animated Kariya and the insects in him it gave me chills. The episode was long and very wordy, but I was glad they got an hour long special for it and got it all out of the way. It was all necessary but if we had to spend two weeks on it that would've been ridiculous.

It didn't answer one of my main questions though. How are they gonna handle Caster and Ryuunosuke. But since technically that character's intro isn't part of the novels' prologue it makes sense that he wasn't in this episode...

If anyone unfamiliar with the novels is curious about the missing 7th master don't worry... we'll get to that. :tinfoil:

Can't wait for next weekend.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

jonjonaug posted:

I'm pretty certain that only the first episode is double length. I've no idea if we'll get any more of those down the line.

http://cal.syoboi.jp/tid/2277 says no

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Katsudon posted:

If anyone unfamiliar with the novels is curious about the missing 7th master don't worry... we'll get to that. :tinfoil:

And it will be AMAZING. 2nd funniest team aside of Waver/Rider.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
With how that first episode went, I can't wait to see what's coming next. A Holy Grail war without high school bullshit, etc... I can't loving wait :allears:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Fenrir posted:

With how that first episode went, I can't wait to see what's coming next. A Holy Grail war without high school bullshit, etc... I can't loving wait :allears:
Well except that one kid who apparently ditched magician school to join in on the festivities.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

Well except that one kid who apparently ditched magician school to join in on the festivities.

Waver isn't so bad. His servant more than makes up for any of his shortcomings and their interactions provide some much needed levity.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.

Fenrir posted:

Yea, the feeling that comes from this series is much darker than the F/SN routes... I'm quite glad its got its own anime now, that and from ep 1, It definitely looks 10 times better than the f/sn anime (horrible imo). I'm expecting to see some pimp fight scenes soon (better than deen's movie).

In any case, Has anyone brought up carnival phantasm?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

The Holy Queef posted:

Yea, the feeling that comes from this series is much darker than the F/SN routes... I'm quite glad its got its own anime now, that and from ep 1, It definitely looks 10 times better than the f/sn anime (horrible imo). I'm expecting to see some pimp fight scenes soon (better than deen's movie).

Darker than Fate and Unlimited Blade Works anyway. Heaven's Feel is in its own class although I don't think quite as bad as Zero (which, being the prequel, is guaranteed toend in the crapshoot that leads to Fate Stay Night).

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Waver isn't so bad. His servant more than makes up for any of his shortcomings and their interactions provide some much needed levity.

He just seems like a generic shounen protagonist. Which means he is not at all ready for the clusterfuck that is about to go down.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

He just seems like a generic shounen protagonist. Which means he is not at all ready for the clusterfuck that is about to go down.
I don't think so. He isn't trying to pursue justice or protect those around him; he's merely a kid with too high an opinion of himself who's simply trying to get back at his teacher and who ended up biting more than he could chew.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

The Holy Queef posted:

In any case, Has anyone brought up carnival phantasm?

Not in this thread, but it had a short discussion in the Summer thread. I recently rewatched the whole thing and the first and last episode are hilarious. The show is at its best when it takes advantage of its characters and setting (holy grail game show; Rin trying to record a tv show) instead of just putting Type-Moon characters in generic comedy situations. I'm hoping the second season will maintain the quality the 4th episode had.

ChronoReverse posted:

Darker than Fate and Unlimited Blade Works anyway. Heaven's Feel is in its own class although I don't think quite as bad as Zero (which, being the prequel, is guaranteed toend in the crapshoot that leads to Fate Stay Night).

Haha, I've been looking forward to this show for a while and it wasn't until I started watching the episode that I realized no one is going to have a happy ending. It was kind of a depressing realization since all the characters are really likeable. Or in Tohsaka's case, really fabulous.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah, but the difference is him not being ready at all for the clusterfuck is the point of his character. And he's not some HERO OF JUSTICE or anything, he's just sorta arrogant and burned by his teacher.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I like Waver so far, if only because he seems like he could have an interesting character arc since doesn't seem to be portraying his naivety towards the Grail War as a good thing. Honestly I like all the characters so far, especially Katsuragi Kiritsugu, fighting mages with some form of conventional weaponry will make for some great action scenes.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 2, 2011

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Cake Attack posted:

I like Waver so far, if only because he seems like he could have an interesting character arc since doesn't seem to be portraying his naivety towards the Grail War as a good thing. Honestly I like all the characters so far, especially Katsuragi, fighting mages with some form of conventional weaponry will make for some great action scenes.

Katsuragi Keima would make for an interesting Rider :v: I say Rider because it makes his name punnier.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tarezax posted:

Katsuragi Keima would make for an interesting Rider :v: I say Rider because it makes his name punnier.

Haha my bad, I really should have checked to make sure that was right.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Its funny, Fate/Zero was really to the book, the only moments which I noticed cut content were The weaver part is fairly... I mean it explains what he is doing, but if you don't pay attention its sort of out of left field.

Also, joke theory, Fate/Zero another episode for post series OVA action?

Edit: Spoiler =/= bold

• Locked thread