Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I don't really mind him forcing the date, I think it makes it a much harder game since a person can't narrow it down by year and choose what's easiest for them. The consequence is you get less negative name betting, but it's not that big of a deal to me.

Also, Doug is a part of the community over at the A Special Thing forums and replies in both his ask/tell thread and the DLM thread. The "what did Pardo say" question was already asked, but not responded to yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Doug put this on twitter

Doug Benson posted:

The bleep in the latest DOUG LOVES MOVIES w/Jimmy Pardo, @SammLevine and @leonardmaltin was a joke. Lil Wolverine is quite the actor. #Maam

Hubcap Hal
Jun 20, 2003

I like the podcast, but I hate the scoring. Playing for two points can really screw over a contestant. It should be three points.

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis

Hubcap Hal posted:

I like the podcast, but I hate the scoring. Playing for two points can really screw over a contestant. It should be three points.

yeah it would be nice but the game can take loving forever as is

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I was surprised on how quick and funny Leonard Maltin was on the latest podcast.

also Samm 'The Ma'am' Levine AKA Lil Wolverine

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Hubcap Hal posted:

Yeah that would mean a single game could last at most seven rounds, while now it can go only to four. Although I do enjoy it when everybody gets a point.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
I agree about the point system, but then I remember the tournament of champions raised it to 5 points, and it took nearly two and a half hours of Len Maltin game.

Honestly I just wish the podcast would be longer, and not in front of CBB so it isn't time restricted every week. :(

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Two things could really improve the show, which is already great:

1) Do the "select a nametag" bit before the show, or edit it out. I'm sure it's fun live (audience engagement and all that), but on the recording it's dull and goes on too long. Plus, we can't see the nametags.

2) Do a practice round backstage with all the participants before the show. Five minutes, the same sample round, and let the experienced players explain what they're doing in the practice round. When every episode involves someone having to learn to play the game, it gets annoying. People pick up pretty quickly on build-a-title, though.

It doesn't need to be as slick and polished as a TV game show, and improv is obviously a major component of the podcast. But drat, it gets old hearing confused people not understand what they're doing.

Unrelated, but what does everyone think about the new Zero Names option? I think it should be reserved for highly skilled participants like Samm Levine and Edgar Wright, but it's a neat twist on the game, and something to freshen up the show a bit.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

benito posted:

2) Do a practice round backstage with all the participants before the show. Five minutes, the same sample round, and let the experienced players explain what they're doing in the practice round. When every episode involves someone having to learn to play the game, it gets annoying. People pick up pretty quickly on build-a-title, though.

Good, but I don't think all the guests arrive early enough for that to happen. Some of them literally arrive as they're being announced on stage, or after. Plus it severely cuts into Doug's smoking time.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

chazburgr posted:

Good, but I don't think all the guests arrive early enough for that to happen. Some of them literally arrive as they're being announced on stage, or after. Plus it severely cuts into Doug's smoking time.

Another option would be to do a practice round live and edit it out along with the nametags. An example of a show that does editing really well is Car Talk. People call in with questions during the week and then they call back to discuss the problem, making sure that the person knows make, model, and year, and is able to sit and talk. Extraneous crap is edited out, so every week you don't hear "Please turn down your radio" and "Longtime listener, first time caller" or "what do you mean you don't know what kind of car you're driving" or "no, we can't give you directions or come out to fix a flat".

DLM is more spontaneous, but I would suggest a good model is BBC's My Word or Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, which combine live games and spontaneous chatter but everyone knows what the hell is going on.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

benito posted:

Unrelated, but what does everyone think about the new Zero Names option? I think it should be reserved for highly skilled participants like Samm Levine and Edgar Wright, but it's a neat twist on the game, and something to freshen up the show a bit.

What is it? I didn't listen for a few weeks.

edit: Also, I think 'streamlining' the show isn't really what Doug's plans are, it's basically an opening act to CBB that gets recorded because 95% of it is enjoyable by just audio.

I also just like the spontaneity of the show; I've enough slick-production gigs and this stands out because of it.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 1, 2011

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

big business sloth posted:

What is it? I didn't listen for a few weeks.

edit: Also, I think 'streamlining' the show isn't really what Doug's plans are, it's basically an opening act to CBB that gets recorded because 95% of it is enjoyable by just audio.

I also just like the spontaneity of the show; I've enough slick-production gigs and this stands out because of it.

It's not a major complaint, just a minor annoyance. Repetition bugs me on podcasts, which is why I stopped listening to all the Smodcast podcasts (except for Mohr stories, because there's no Kevin Smith and it's some new content). DLM is nothing like any Smodcast production, no offense intended.

As for Zero Names, it was on the most recent podcast (I think there were three last week). A listener suggested Zero Names, in which Doug reads the full review (character names and all), and the bidding starts at zero. So the person can either name that movie, or bid negative four names, or whatever. It wasn't great on the first try, but with the really good players it could be awesome. With less experienced players, it's just an easy point for someone who declares name that movie.

It is a remarkably well balanced game, since it's possible to win by screwing over your competitors even if you don't know anything about movies.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I think the zero name category could be awesome with new players too, assuming they watch movies. I sort of wish negative names had the same rules it did on the beginning, if you know negative four people from a movie you should be able to name them in any order, not in some random order Len was picking. We've seen many times that Len's idea of top billed and the general public's could be vastly different.

No Ticket
Jul 20, 2007

RoryGilmore posted:

Also, Doug is a part of the community over at the A Special Thing forums and replies in both his ask/tell thread and the DLM thread. The "what did Pardo say" question was already asked, but not responded to yet.

I'm glad Doug finds the commenters on AVClub's Podmass as obnoxious as I do.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
I like the "zero names" category, except that it would mess with the Tournament of Champions requirements.

Edit: another rental car mini-episode, same format as last time.

Urk! fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 3, 2011

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Man Doug is just popping out these rental cars episodes, a third one just hit the store.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!
The best shithead will always be Elton John's baby

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Leonard Maltin's Balls is still my favorite, if only because of the way Tom Lennon says "mmmmmalt balls!" right at the end. Absolutely kills me.

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain

Davincie posted:

Man Doug is just popping out these rental cars episodes, a third one just hit the store.

A while ago he said he was going to try to get more free (and low effort) content and this pretty much fits the bill. Something extra to listen to and since it's more free stuff on top of free stuff I say keep them coming.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Huge fan of this show. Anytime my girlfriend and I have to visit our parents we always load up a couple episodes for a drive. PFT(obviously) Adam Scott, Edgar Wright, TJ Miller, Jimmy Pardo, Anthony Jeselnik and Scott Aukerman are the best guests.

I guess I'm the opposite of some people here, I usually have to force myself to listen to the studio episodes. I guess I just love the audience interaction, it makes it feel more energetic and less sterile. Doug's personality seems to suit it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

Huge fan of this show. Anytime my girlfriend and I have to visit our parents we always load up a couple episodes for a drive. PFT(obviously) Adam Scott, Edgar Wright, TJ Miller, Jimmy Pardo, Anthony Jeselnik and Scott Aukerman are the best guests.

I guess I'm the opposite of some people here, I usually have to force myself to listen to the studio episodes. I guess I just love the audience interaction, it makes it feel more energetic and less sterile. Doug's personality seems to suit it.
I think the studio episodes are weaker because of talent as much as the lack of crowd.

Though they do have the benefit being of people who know the rules and Doug is a fun player.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Just started listening to the one that dropped today and good lord, Doug is trashed.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Eltoasto posted:

Just started listening to the one that dropped today and good lord, Doug is trashed.

it...doesn't get any better. If I were going to skip an episode, today's would be the one to skip.

Too bad, I thought with the guest line-up this ep was going to be solid :(

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

icicle bob posted:

The best shithead will always be Elton John's baby

Casey Anthony's baby is a shithead. :ssh:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Weird, I tried to download the Maltin/Pardo/Levin episode and it downloaded the newest one instead. Anyone have this issue?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

plastered quack posted:

it...doesn't get any better. If I were going to skip an episode, today's would be the one to skip.

This man is correct.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

plastered quack posted:

Oh my god I couldn't agree more.

Should have been a 'lost' episode.

Mantic
Oct 25, 2007

-Atom- posted:

Oh my god I couldn't agree more.

Should have been a 'lost' episode.

Yeah, I got about 30 minutes in and just had to stop, Doug sounded super trashed in the beginning and it didn't get better, I think the guests were way unprepared for how wasted Doug was.

Mantic fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 7, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm halfway through and it's awful. Is there any point in listening to the LMG?

I almost went to this show.

Mantic
Oct 25, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm halfway through and it's awful. Is there any point in listening to the LMG?

I almost went to this show.

don't know and talk about dodging a bullet.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mantic posted:

don't know and talk about dodging a bullet.

I'm listening to the LMG now. I would've gotten The Wizard of Oz in negative one names :smug:

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I listened to it because I like Jeselnick and Jordan, but holy hell doug was mega faded.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!
He's usually so strict on the rules, but he couldn't really give a gently caress and it felt like an eternity before he actually introduced the guests. Bit of a disappointing episode but hey, it's not like I paid for it.

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY
Sure it was loose, but that gives the guests more room to riff. Irish Jay is pretty funny and Jeselnik carried it. It's not for everyone, but you probably didn't like the last one with Big Irish Jay, with "Do I have a drunken echo?" Personally the comedians who riff well are way more entertaining in this format than the ones who mainly do bits, like Aukerman or Galifinakis.

The structured episodes seem to miss more often, as they're more likely to be non-comedians or more there for the plugs like the movie and show cast ones (notable exception of Rooker)

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

It wasn't that bad, at least I didn't pay for it like the DC ep where everyone on stage was hammered. Jeselnik was amazing as always and made the episode bearable.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Haha you guys weren't kidding. He's super hosed up.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

FuriousGeorge posted:

Don't forget Edgar Wright. Everyone was astounded when he finally managed to get one wrong in a recent episode.

Let's not forget, it managed to get Country Bear Jamboree in zero names.

I say it, because no human could do that.

benito posted:

It almost feels like it should be a separate game entirely. Surely going negative on that would not be ineligible for the Tournament of Championships?

Riptor posted:

Weird, I tried to download the Maltin/Pardo/Levin episode and it downloaded the newest one instead. Anyone have this issue?

Yes. Try again. It was sad to skip the one where he's uberbaked trying to get to Len and... it's the same one. :(

Golbez fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 10, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

My opinion of the zero names category might improve if it's done more often but I'd much rather have more stuff like horrible clues for incredibly popular movies like The Wizard of Oz having 2 sequels.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

My opinion of the zero names category might improve if it's done more often but I'd much rather have more stuff like horrible clues for incredibly popular movies like The Wizard of Oz having 2 sequels.

That was an awful clue but as long as anyone didn't zero name it, it was incredibly easy to guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sambafish
Sep 24, 2008

If you havin' hull problems I feel bad for you son/
I got 99 problems, but a breach ain't one/

Binowru posted:

One of my favorite episodes of DLM: The conclusion of the first Tournament of Championships, with Paul F. Tompkins, Jimmy Pardo and Kate Micucci. The first half of the ep where they chat about movies is hilarious in itself, but the Len Maltin Game is nothing but pure ferocity. The winner got their winning point by naming a the movie with negative 4 names, and it manages to be both suspenseful and hilarious. Definitely find this one and listen to it.

This is my favorite DLM episode ever.

• Locked thread