Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Labored Wooting posted:

I didn't listen but please tell me he didn't win again.

I'm afraid he did, thanks in part to an unfortunate error by Weird Al. Ybarra is terrible. He reminds me of "Vic Garcia," except he's unfortunately real and not an Adomian character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
He won because Alec Guinness is inexplicably second billed in Lawrence of Arabia, when by all rights it should be O'Toole, Sharif, Quinn, and then MAYBE Guinness. Him being second billed is like Brando being second billed for Superman, a crime Len should have corrected.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I didn't mind him at first. He's sometimes an adorable idiot, especially when he's on panels with the more well-known comics. That grew old, though, and now he's just straight up annoying. The only redeeming part is that he doesn't typically speak unless he's addressed, so he doesn't railroad the show like other loud idiots.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Golbez posted:

He won because Alec Guinness is inexplicably second billed in Lawrence of Arabia, when by all rights it should be O'Toole, Sharif, Quinn, and then MAYBE Guinness. Him being second billed is like Brando being second billed for Superman, a crime Len should have corrected.

Brando and Hackman actually got billed before Reeve on the posters.:eng101: Movie billing is funny like that; it's whoever is best known and getting paid the most that gets top billing. But yeah, I agree - subsequent listings ought to be changed, when people like Omar Sharif have turned out to be stars in their own right.

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

Golbez posted:

Also kind of weird is that in that movie in the actual opening credits, Peter O'Toole is listed last in the credits because it's his first film and it's "Introducing Peter O'Toole". Would have been weird if Leonard had never got around to changing that one! But in that 42 movie, he still has the guy who played Jackie Robinson listed 8th, but it's very early on for that one!

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

In a recent ep, I thought Cameron Buchholtz was very annoying. I guess this must have been his first one and I think he either managed (or owned) the club that Doug was at, but Buchholtz tried to ingratiate himself way too much in that one. Even Samm Levine could barely get a word in edgewise!

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Doug randomly banging on the piano at Largo in recent episodes of GDWH make me laugh way harder than it should.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

My personal hell would be being stuck in a room with Matt Mira and Samm Levine.

Matt is slightly less insufferable than Samm, but he's really trying hard this episode.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

FitFortDanga posted:

My personal hell would be being stuck in a room with Matt Mira and Samm Levine.

Matt is slightly less insufferable than Samm, but he's really trying hard this episode.

Matt is way more insufferable than Samm. He can't go 5 seconds without being the center of attention.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

qbert posted:

Matt is way more insufferable than Samm. He can't go 5 seconds without being the center of attention.

"Don't worry about it." Matt is second worst behind Graham for attention seekers with nothing interesting to say. I'm not a fan of his anyway, though. He veers hard into 'spiteful/smug nerd' territory way too often. He's the antithesis to the reclamation of 'nerd' by the rest of the LA podcast crowd.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Is Matt Mira even a comedian? I thought he was just Chris Hardwick's personal Apple Store associate. Why is he even on these things?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

MY ABACUS! posted:

Is Matt Mira even a comedian? I thought he was just Chris Hardwick's personal Apple Store associate. Why is he even on these things?

Chris is like his beauty pageant mom who can't stop giving encouragement and positive reinforcement, giving Matt the false impression he has an ounce of funny inside him.

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

qbert posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. Mira is one of those guests that slipped past my radar. In earlier episodes, I didn't remember him being THIS annoying. I find it ironic that a guest will go off on an audience member for not knowing the rules, when 99.9% of the guests don't know the rules! I love Levine on the show, though. He's not nearly the attention-grabber that people think he is. And it's awesome listening to him reel off negative names.

davey_dave fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 26, 2014

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
I was really disappointed in the show. I know that the show can be hit or miss but I really expected more given that it was during Comic con and there should have been plenty of entertaining people and circumstances to make for some good comedy.

Annoying guests: I like Posehn but he's too laid back to carry a show on his own especially with the likes of Mira and Sam Levine. Levine was especially obnoxious but he made Matt Mira likable which is a pretty big feet. I don't know who the girl was but she didn't bring anything to the table.

Annoying crowd: I don't think you can hear it on the podcast but I got to sit next to two guys that wouldn't stop wooing and yelling random crap in addition to 'Aids!!!' It got old quick.

Annoying venue: The house of blues San Diego is alright for loud rock bands but for intimate or spoken word shows it's horrible. Folding chairs are not comfy and the loudest hand dryers in the world are the loving worst. At least they used it to joke about the Churro machine which was arguably the funniest bit of the night.

Annoying length: It really lost steam during the Maltin game and everyone was happy to have it end.

That said, there were laughs to be had but not nearly enough to live up to my expectations.

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

Knucklebear posted:

Annoying guests: I like Posehn but he's too laid back to carry a show on his own especially with the likes of Mira and Sam Levine. Levine was especially obnoxious but he made Matt Mira likable which is a pretty big feet. I don't know who the girl was but she didn't bring anything to the table.

That said, there were laughs to be had but not nearly enough to live up to my expectations.

There was a point where it sounded like Levine and Mira were actually going to go at it. I think it was during the ABCDs game. Was that real, or were they just goofing? Levine sounded pretty angry.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

davey_dave posted:

There was a point where it sounded like Levine and Mira were actually going to go at it. I think it was during the ABCDs game. Was that real, or were they just goofing? Levine sounded pretty angry.

Mira was trying to get under Sam's skin for most of the show and he succeeded in getting him at least a little mad. It wasn't balls out i'm going to fight you but I think he was hurt and frustrated.

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

Knucklebear posted:

Mira was trying to get under Sam's skin for most of the show and he succeeded in getting him at least a little mad. It wasn't balls out i'm going to fight you but I think he was hurt and frustrated.

Yeah, Samm sounded pissed. I remember now, it was because Samm was having a side convo with the female guest and then Mira butted in. I think Mira's "comedy" rubbed both Samm and that audience member the wrong way.

davey_dave fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 27, 2014

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Does anyone else hate the Sean Cullen theme song bit? It annoys the poo poo out of me, and Doug encourages it every time he is on.

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo
Does anyone that posts in this thread actually like the podcast Doug Loves Movies this isn't a joke.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Dear Sergio posted:

Does anyone that posts in this thread actually like the podcast Doug Loves Movies this isn't a joke.

I like most of Doug Loves Movies. There are a handful of recurring guests that are terrible and make episodes bad, and Doug himself has some annoying habits, but the meat of the show is still pretty solid.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Dear Sergio posted:

I have to admit I'm liking it less these days. The recent Samm Levine/Matt Mira/Brian Posehn/Clare Krahmer episode was a real slog, with Matt Mira injecting his unfunny rear end in a top hat self into every moment, and a boring Last Man Stanton game with an actor who's already been done.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Dear Sergio posted:

It's probably safe to assume that anyone reading/posting itt likes DLM, likes Doug, and likes the games. The enjoyability of any given episode is totally determined by the guests though and he's been having a lot of annoying, (subjectively) unfunny -- at least in the context of DLM -- people on lately (I'm looking at you Elwood, Mira, and Ybarra). Hell, not even lately; Elwood's been making GBS threads up DLM for years. Give me an episode with "Werner Herzog", John Hamm, Ken Jennings, Maltin, or Edgar Wright and I'm stoked. Give me an episode with four people I've never heard of who don't know how to play the games and I'll listen to it and enjoy it as long as there are some funny bits. But yeah, bad guests can make the show pretty painful to sit through and sometimes, like recently, there are a run of (again, subjectively) bad guests who poo poo up the show.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

CygnusTM posted:

Does anyone else hate the Sean Cullen theme song bit? It annoys the poo poo out of me, and Doug encourages it every time he is on.

I skip ahead whenever it starts. It makes me cringe.

I love the games and I actually like Sam. He's a know it all who takes everything too seriously, but he's a great foil for funny people and he's always good for at least one incredible -5 pull.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I love DLM. Samm Levine is my favorite guest. TJ Miller is great, as long as I'm not listening to Doug's "most annoying guests" episode, which is just nonsense from start to finish. I like Graham Elwood. I like pretty much every game they play.

I'm the problem.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I love DLM. Samm Levine is my favorite guest. TJ Miller is great, as long as I'm not listening to Doug's "most annoying guests" episode, which is just nonsense from start to finish. I like Graham Elwood. I like pretty much every game they play.

I'm the problem.

I agree with everything except liking Graham, and TJ is probably the funniest guest. I think Doug is a very good host and is still funny, even when he gets mad at the guests.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Yeah, I agree with everything except Graham. I even like Sean Cullen's songs, if only because Doug is so goddamned delighted by them.

This last episode was great, for instance. Good mix of guests, nonsense, and game-playing. I thought Al Madrigal would be funnier, I guess, but he fit into the concept well considering how weird and vocal the other three are.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
I used to love DLM and never skipped an ep but lately I find myself skipping episodes with guests that I don't like or listening for a bit but not getting through the whole thing.

I don't know if it's me getting bored of the format or if the actual quality has gone down. It seems like Doug isn't as hands on with his hosting as he's been in the past. It seemed like he would interject more and move the show along when the guests weren't pulling their weight. At the San Diego show I kept waiting for him to jump in and regulate or move things along especially with Mira but instead he just kept asking about the stretch sign which didn't help.

That said, I love TJ Miller episodes but hate Samm Levine, Matt Mira, and Graham Elwood (his standup is horribly unfunny live).

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

thrawn527 posted:

as long as I'm not listening to Doug's "most annoying guests" episode, which is just nonsense from start to finish.

How does it feel to have worst opinion

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ImPureAwesome posted:

How does it feel to have worst opinion

Yeah. The most annoying guests episodes are pretty amazing.
Also, I liked Matt Mira. He interjected a little too much but it didn't bother me. He was probably drunk or high. I found the episode entertaining. I'd listen to him on there again. There are far worse guests out there.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Also, some of the worst episodes of the podcast are the ones that mainly feature local morning radio personalities. I never make it all the way through those.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Forcing yourself to listen to the entirety of every episode of any guest-based podcast is a pretty reliable recipe for irritation, which I'm guessing is where a lot of the hate in this thread (and others in this forum) springs from.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GraPar posted:

Forcing yourself to listen to the entirety of every episode of any guest-based podcast is a pretty reliable recipe for irritation, which I'm guessing is where a lot of the hate in this thread (and others in this forum) springs from.

Yeah. There's always going to be guests who suck and who someone won't like. I tend to be fair to Doug and try to remember that he's in some town that might not have a lot of good potential guests to pick from.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Ape of Naples posted:

Yeah. The most annoying guests episodes are pretty amazing.
Also, I liked Matt Mira. He interjected a little too much but it didn't bother me. He was probably drunk or high. I found the episode entertaining. I'd listen to him on there again. There are far worse guests out there.

I'm a Mira fan too, although I tend to be pretty forgiving to him because I know he's still a relatively new comic. But having him on as a foil for Samm (who I love, don't get me wrong) makes him a winner in my book any day.

SevenThousandYears
Nov 6, 2010

Is that the kind of thing you are into, man.
Even the loudest and most annoying guests have their redeeming points, except for Dustin Ybarra. Behind TJ Miller's schtick there is real intelligence. Ybarra is just stupid, and aggressively so.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
I may have said this earlier but even if I did I'm just going to say it again, I hope Dustin Ybarra is on every episode forever. I want him and Ron Funches just being delighted the entire show.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SevenThousandYears posted:

Even the loudest and most annoying guests have their redeeming points, except for Dustin Ybarra. Behind TJ Miller's schtick there is real intelligence. Ybarra is just stupid, and aggressively so.

This is spot on.

I guess I may have missed some earlier TJ Miller episodes because I never find him annoying.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

I guess I may have missed some earlier TJ Miller episodes because I never find him annoying.

I think a lot of the people who dislike him are people who are very serious about the games... because if I remember correctly, TJ's good at getting Doug off track and running over in time.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

^^ this, to some extent. I think if you're familiar with TJ, his attempts to derail the show are hilarious. For comparison, I didn't like Pete Holmes the first time I heard him; then, I started listening to his podcast and now I enjoy him on DLM.

poo poo, I even like the Jeff Garlin episodes. There's something hilarious about him hating the show, hating the games, etc. and still showing up to be annoying.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I'd pay a hundo to listen to the phone call TJ Miller's agent made to his client after getting wind of his public airing of Michael Bay stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's not like he had the multiple Transformers movies deal that Mark Wahlberg has going on anyway.

• Locked thread