Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Jason Mantzoukus as Plato is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

AESOP!!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Ochowie posted:

Deaf Authors
This would be a great podcast.

Ben Schwartz' episode is my favorite for one reason that everyone who has listened to it knows. I wish not to spoil, check it out.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

Jason Mantzoukus as Plato is the best.

That's the one I'm listening to and it's great.

cams posted:

This would be a great podcast.

Ben Schwartz' episode is my favorite for one reason that everyone who has listened to it knows. I wish not to spoil, check it out.

Ha! Deaf Authors would be interesting for sure. Is the Ben Schwartz one the Roald Dahl episode?

Ochowie fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 5, 2014

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Ochowie posted:

Ha! Deaf Authors would be interesting for sure. Is the Ben Schwartz one the Roald Dahl episode?

Yea, and another good one if you like James Adomian you should check out his, he does a really subtle Walt Whitman.

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

Paul F. Thompkins may be my favorite DLM guest.

He's definitely right up there for me. I think Jon Hamm is my favorite guest. PFT is probably #2. I just listened to the "Mark Wahlberg"/Chris Cubas/Tommy Johnagin. One of the best podcasts in a while! I just realized that "Wahlberg" is probably my #3 fave! LOL

davey_dave fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 8, 2014

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

davey_dave posted:

He's definitely right up there for me. I think Jon Hamm is my favorite guest. PFT is probably #2. I just listened to the "Mark Wahlberg"/Chris Cubas/Tommy Johnagin. One of the best podcasts in a while! I just realized that "Wahlberg" is probably my #3 fave! LOL

You're not alone. The reaction he got when Whalberg made a guest appearance on the recent NYC show sounded like Louis CK dropped in.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

You're not alone. The reaction he got when Whalberg made a guest appearance on the recent NYC show sounded like Louis CK dropped in.
I was listening to that ep earlier -- during that reaction, I thought the real Mark Wahlberg must have walked out.

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

WoG posted:

I was listening to that ep earlier -- during that reaction, I thought the real Mark Wahlberg must have walked out.

I totally thought the same thing! The irony is that real Mark Wahlberg probably wouldn't have garnered HALF of that applause! LOL

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

davey_dave posted:

I totally thought the same thing! The irony is that real Mark Wahlberg probably wouldn't have garnered HALF of that applause! LOL

Real Mark Wahlberg isn't as funny and doesn't know nearly enough about film.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
It's not just that certain schools showed "The Voyage of Mimi," it's that you're 20 years older than everyone on the stage.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

It's not just that certain schools showed "The Voyage of Mimi," it's that you're 20 years older than everyone on the stage.

To be fair, I'm only 25 now, and my class watched a tape of The Voyage of the Mimi in grade school... although I'm sure it was not nearly as common to see by then.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

The Modern Leper posted:

I'm pretty sure the VCR hadn't been invented yet when Doug was in 7th grade.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

To be fair, I'm only 25 now, and my class watched a tape of The Voyage of the Mimi in grade school... although I'm sure it was not nearly as common to see by then.

Similar age, same thing for me.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Im listening to a streaming local radio station right now and at the commercial break doug popped on! "Hey everybody, its me, Doug Benson from the hit podcast Doug Loves Movies! Ill be here woth Watch This Not That right after this message from your sponsor!" Then a commercial for walmart popped on and ill be damned if Doug wasnt back afterwards telling me to watch Gone Girl instead of Leave it Alone or something. Way to go Doug I guess?

"Im not being snarky, Im honestly excited that hes got some type of ad deal going on with streaming radio. It was just very surreal having my podcast life and morning show life intertwine. "

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Keystoned posted:

"Im not being snarky, Im honestly excited that hes got some type of ad deal going on with streaming radio. It was just very surreal having my podcast life and morning show life intertwine. "
"Are you quoting...yourself? :crossarms:" - Zsinjeh, 10/10/14, after reading Keystoned's post

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Zsinjeh posted:

"Are you quoting...yourself? :crossarms:" - Zsinjeh, 10/10/14, after reading Keystoned's post

I noticed that too and thought it'd be a great pull quote from an Onion article headlined "Local Man Flummoxed By Hearing Favorite Podcaster on Terrestrial Radio"

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

I was thinking the same thing. Overall a great episode. Is it just me or are the shows on the road way better than the ones at UCB? The road shows are usually longer while the UCB shows always feel really rushed to me. Can UCB really not give him a 90 minute slot instead of just 60 on a Tuesday afternoon?

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Zsinjeh posted:

No. I thought my post sounded a bit like I was complaining about Doug doing radio ads, or that he was selling out or something.

I wanted to make it clear that I was pointing out an odd moment I experienced rather than sounding bitchy. Sometimes thats hard to do over the internet.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I forgot to mention this but TJ Miller returned to You Made It Weird a couple months ago where they spent a huge chunk talking about the fallout from TJ's DLM comments about Michael Bay.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ochowie posted:

I was thinking the same thing. Overall a great episode. Is it just me or are the shows on the road way better than the ones at UCB? The road shows are usually longer while the UCB shows always feel really rushed to me. Can UCB really not give him a 90 minute slot instead of just 60 on a Tuesday afternoon?

To be fair most, if not all of the on the road shows are paid and Doug fells the need to have more of a show for the audience.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Ochowie posted:

I don't know what kind of arrangement Doug has with UCB, and I can't speak for the theater manager, but as someone who's taken classes and performs there semi-regularly, Doug Loves Movies is a really atypical show for that theater, which mostly focuses on improv and sketch. I suppose they could extend Doug's slot by having him start a half hour earlier, but then it would probably be even harder for people to show up.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Ochowie posted:

His show already runs over 99% of the time into Put Your Hands Together, which then must either run over into the 11PM or have all the comics cut their sets short. DLM loses them money as it is by being a free show.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

His show already runs over 99% of the time into Put Your Hands Together, which then must either run over into the 11PM or have all the comics cut their sets short. DLM loses them money as it is by being a free show.

Interesting. For some reason I thought most of his LA shows were at 4:20. I guess that makes more sense then.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I forgot to mention this but TJ Miller returned to You Made It Weird a couple months ago where they spent a huge chunk talking about the fallout from TJ's DLM comments about Michael Bay.

What time is that around?

Ochowie fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 11, 2014

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Doug has said -- or at least said way back when he changed it from 30 minutes -- in the past that he prefers to keep the UCB shows around 45 minutes so that he leaves the audience wanting more. It's a classy old showbiz move, and I prefer him doing that to having him ramble like most other podcasters who seem like they overstay their welcome sometimes.

He also extends it beyond 45 to around 60 pretty regularly at UCB anyway, so it's not that big of a deal.

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

Ochowie posted:

I can understand giving longer time for road shows, since that isn't as frequent as UCB, and so it's kind of a treat for the road audience members to get Doug's show at 90 minutes to 2 hours. The UCB crowd sees Doug all the time, so 45 minutes is good enough.

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

I know that "Mark" was kind of joking on Joan Allen for Last Man Stanton, but I could totally name a bunch of movies she was in! LOL

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ochowie posted:

What time is that around?

Looking around Google, it looks like the August 29th episode is where he returns. I haven't listened to it yet, though, to confirm that they talk about Michael Bay.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
TJ Miller talking about Michael Bay on YMIW is at the very end, last 10-15 minutes. The rest is fairly entertaining, more discussion about Nietzsche than you might expect.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Hopefully this doesn't break some forum rule, but I have two tickets to the DLM taping on October 30 at Cobb's in San Francisco that I can't use. If anyone wants them, PM me your email address and I'll send them your way for free.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Scott Bakula Untold deserved a much louder laugh from that sleepy rear end audience.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
I'm surprised someone didn't go for the obvious "Bakula: Dead and Loving It."

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Either I'm burnt out and need to take a couple episodes off or this Gillian Jacobs/Pepitone/Laura Silverman/Cameron Esposito episode is boring as poo poo.

I think the only laugh it got from me was by referencing Gillian's continuing adventures on Comedy Bang Bang. I turned it off when they started Last Man Stanton with Walberg movies.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Did you hear Cameron Esposito is a lesbian. If you didn't, just wait 2 minutes and she'll tell you again.

Yeah, the last episode sucked.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Does Brian Redban even technically qualify as a comedian? In all his appearances on DLM (or even the Joe Rogan Experience, as far as I can tell) I've not heard him say anything even approaching a joke

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

JFC posted:

Did you hear Cameron Esposito is a lesbian. If you didn't, just wait 2 minutes and she'll tell you again.

I think it would've worked better with three guests, cause it could've come back to her enough to cross into absurdity (the "Simpsons rake" effect).

That being said, if I had to pick three guests, I probably would've kicked her off anyway. For some reason, the AV Club is really on her jock, so I'm pretty much over her already.

EDIT: That being said, I laughed at the DeGeneres, Page, Tegan, Sara power ranking.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Binowru posted:

Does Brian Redban even technically qualify as a comedian? In all his appearances on DLM (or even the Joe Rogan Experience, as far as I can tell) I've not heard him say anything even approaching a joke

I enjoyed him live, but that might have been a fluke.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

JFC posted:

I'd have to listen to it again, which I wouldn't mind doing the episode was fine, but I don't think she started going overboard with it until Eddie Pepitone said something about how he doesn't want people to talk about trans-gender issues. Maybe she was trying to stick it to him a little bit at that point and I can't really blame her there.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Jummy posted:

I'd have to listen to it again, which I wouldn't mind doing the episode was fine, but I don't think she started going overboard with it until Eddie Pepitone said something about how he doesn't want people to talk about trans-gender issues. Maybe she was trying to stick it to him a little bit at that point and I can't really blame her there.

No she started on it before that. I agree that it really wasn't that bad of an episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I'm not annoyed at her being a lesbian by the way, I just think it is hacky (or at least a crutch) to continually use it as a punchline.

"... because I'm gay!"
"... because I'm black!"
"... because I'm latino!"
"... because I'm fat!"
"... because I'm white!" (black audiences only)

It ranks down there with "bitches be shopping" or "my HPV" on the comedy ladder.

• Locked thread