Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Inkspot posted:

Reverse Maltin seems more suited to drunk comedians. Give them a movie, have them list everyone they can remember being in the movie. Simple. Geoff pulling eight Ghostbusters cast members was a near-perfect victory and a great example. Shame on Maltin for including Reginald VelJohnson.

Graham is fine, but he has a tendency to take over as co-host, and not in the fun way that Pete Holmes or TJ Miller pull off.

I miss Samm, ...

This is the first Graham episode I bothered to listen to in awhile, and that was just to hear Reverse Maltin. He doesn't whistle anymore apparently but he's still completely insufferable. And perhaps I'm reading into it too much, but his inability to name women in the Dark Knight Rises or pronounce Marion Cotillard's name despite being a "film nerd" makes me think he's also a sexist moron (which wouldn't be surprising given his completely loving hack comedy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

How long do you think he's going to try to keep up the Bane poo poo for? The rest of his life? Or do you think eventually he'll actually think "Ehhh, maybe it's time to retire it."

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I'm not rushing to Graham's defense or anything. He's disruptive at best, and anyone appearing on the podcast claiming to be a "film nerd", with a few exceptions, I assume is using the term as shorthand for "I've seen Ghostbusters more times than I probably should have", but he's not a complete black hole of comedy.

thexerox123 posted:

How long do you think he's going to try to keep up the Bane poo poo for? The rest of his life? Or do you think eventually he'll actually think "Ehhh, maybe it's time to retire it."

The Whistling Banes are on a Never Ending World Tour. I think he's in it for the long haul.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Whoever said Doug was slowly not doing shows at the UCB was right. He just tweeted tonight was the last Tuesday one ever.... well, free show, at least.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Inkspot posted:

I'm not rushing to Graham's defense or anything. He's disruptive at best, and anyone appearing on the podcast claiming to be a "film nerd", with a few exceptions, I assume is using the term as shorthand for "I've seen Ghostbusters more times than I probably should have", but he's not a complete black hole of comedy.

The Whistling Banes are on a Never Ending World Tour. I think he's in it for the long haul.

Comedy is subjective, or whatever, so I don't care much whether people think he's funny or not. Here's why the Batman thing really annoyed me, though:

1) his entire persona centers around the self-appointed 'film nerd' title (including a book and podcast with that moniker)
2) even if we accept that this is just a reference to him watching Ghostbusters a thousand times, the movie in question was from his favorite film series
3) and despite it being one of his favorite films, he couldn't name the two women leads in that movie and even started considering men he thought might not even be listed
4) and when he finally said Marion Cotillard, he said he didn't know how to pronounce her name despite her being a fairly prominent and critically-acclaimed actor (and a major part of one of his favorite loving movies)

Again, it's way too much thought given to Graham Elwood but holy gently caress.

edit:

vvv dude talks about movies for a living, though. You'd think he'd know how to pronounce the name of someone who won an Oscar. I will accept that he is just an idiot, though.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 14, 2015

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Naet posted:

Comedy is subjective, or whatever, so I don't care much whether people think he's funny or not. Here's why the Batman thing really annoyed me, though:

1) his entire persona centers around the self-appointed 'film nerd' title (including a book and podcast with that moniker)
2) even if we accept that this is just a reference to him watching Ghostbusters a thousand times, the movie in question was from his favorite film series
3) and despite it being one of his favorite films, he couldn't name the two women leads in that movie and even started considering men he thought might not even be listed
4) and when he finally said Marion Cotillard, he said he didn't know how to pronounce her name despite her being a fairly prominent and critically-acclaimed actor (and a major part of one of his favorite loving movies)

I agree it was strange he couldn't name certain people from the movie, especially Anne Hathaway, but I am also not 100% sure how to pronounce Marion Cotillard's name, especially when I'm not looking at it, and it's not like they said the name in the movie itself or anything.

But yeah, it was weird how brain dead he went over names from that movie, given how much he talks about it.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Naet posted:

edit:

vvv dude talks about movies for a living, though. You'd think he'd know how to pronounce the name of someone who won an Oscar. I will accept that he is just an idiot, though.

5) He's a grown man doing the voice of a not-particularly memorable character from a movie that, while a huge cultural event before its release, has pretty much faded out of our collection consciousness for being much worse than its predecessor. Also, Doug did it first which reminds me of little kids copying their friends who say a funny joke except he's in his 40s.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

haven't listened to dlm in a while, SO GLAD to find out that graham elwood is still doing the bane impression. great stuff.

but seriously folks, he's not doing the weekly show at ucb any more? that is legit shocking.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It does make sense that if hes going to start charging him moving venues makes a much more clean break. Its definitely a popular enough show that him charging $10 at Nerdmelt isn't crazy.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I don't think it's a money issue. With all the touring and podcast ads he does + him being a single man with no kids who still rents an apartment, I'm sure he's more than fine. Plus he's been doing paid Meltdown DLMs concurrently with the UCB ones for a while now. He probably just felt it was time to move on and give that spot to another show. Remember him bitching about the place consistently not "selling" out last year?

It's still pretty impressive that he was able to put on 50 shows a year with three (usually) amazing guests for nearly a decade.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
In Doug Loves Minis, he said a few weeks ago that if there were any empty seats at his next free show at UCB, it would be his last, because he can't get these great stars to show up to a free show that people can't be arsed to attend. He then apologized to Baseball Jordan.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
So should we talk about Harland Williams's lazy, one-joke appearance on DLM or is it... too soon?

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I don't live in LA, but I'd be hard pressed to attend a show with a high chance of Graham Elwood regardless whether or not it's free..
Maybe if the guests were announced in advance, attendance would be a better metric. Then, he could quit booking guests who are loving intolerable.

MY ABACUS! fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 28, 2015

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The latest episode with Garlin is just pure insanity.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Berzerker posted:

The latest episode with Garlin is just pure insanity.

poo poo, Garlin again? He's the worst.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I have a bad opinion and that opinion is that Jeff Garlin is hilarious. Geoff and Jeff laughing at the college kid just destroyed me.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Jeff ruins the show (in the sense that he wrecks all of the games) but I love when he's on. Plus that college kid is good. He's endearing

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Ben Bailey.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Ben Bailey's on my list, too.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I haven't listened to the NYC episode yet, but I loved the London one despite not knowing who any of those people are. I almost didn't listen for that reason, but I'm glad I did. It was a good crew.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

UP AND ADAM posted:

Ben Bailey's on my list, too.

It's a 2h long ep and I'm wary - good list or bad list?

The last time I heard Ben Bailey he just seemed a daft but not disruptive presence...

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
He uses his powers as DLM Audience Cult Leader only for good.

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

thexerox123 posted:

When Graham and Doug were doing their Bane schtick way back when, I actually thought they were riffing that movie, but apparently Graham thinks The Dark Knight Rises is almost as great as The Dark Knight, neither of which holds a candle to Batman Begins, which Graham conveniently didn't know the tagline for! I thought he was a Nolan-ite to the bone.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I watched Chronic-con on Netflix last night. It was entertaining and Elwood-less.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Yeah I went in expecting a lot of Elwood and was pleasantly surprised. It's not a 5 star doc by any means but it's a fun thing to have in the background while HAF.

That co-owner of the SD comedy club though. Oh boy.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Yeah I went in expecting a lot of Elwood and was pleasantly surprised. It's not a 5 star doc by any means but it's a fun thing to have in the background while HAF.

That co-owner of the SD comedy club though. Oh boy.

The guy who dropped the bottle on purpose? WTF was that guys deal? I bet comedians get a lot of weird "lets meet the comedians" groups that they're forced to interact with, just watching that made me never want to be backstage anywhere, it seems insanely awkward.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

He didn't do it on purpose, he was just drunk out of his mind. Also a dork "HEYYYY IS THIS A BONG? IS THIS THE BONG YOU SMOKE WEED OUT OF?"

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Latest ep is great. Middleditch is the funniest loving person.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Ceramics posted:

Yeah this ep ruled, felt like an old-school Doug Loves Movies episode

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
A good episode. Thanks for the tip. I hadn't listened to the show in a while.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Ceramics posted:

thomas middleditch getting into a position of famousity that encourages him to do podcasts is the greatest thing to happen to podcasts since paul f tompkins decided to give characters a try

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

Naet posted:

edit:

Yeah, I was stunned he couldn't just run off names from pretty much the ONLY films he even bothers to talk about or bring up whenever he's on DLM! Maybe he thinks the actors ARE the characters! lol

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Max Landis is somehow even worse in real life than he is on twitter. Seems like the kind of guy who would reference memes in conversation. On the other hand, Jon Hamm continues to be his regular amazing self, casually joking about a marital woes-focused San Andreas weeks after his two decade relationship came to an end in the tabloids.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
He's no Jason Reitman.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Max Landis is somehow even worse in real life than he is on twitter. Seems like the kind of guy who would reference memes in conversation. On the other hand, Jon Hamm continues to be his regular amazing self, casually joking about a marital woes-focused San Andreas weeks after his two decade relationship came to an end in the tabloids.

The atmosphere in that episode got so hostile after Doug shouted at that guy in the crowd. It was great.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

You know, I haven't really understood the Max Landis hate until listening to this episode. But holy poo poo, do I get it now. He was awful.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I dunno, I expected him to be way worse. He at least showed some sense of self-restraint.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I didn't love him, but he had two or three decent jokes that the audience iced him on for no discernible reason.

Also, there is nothing more awkward than Doug getting mad at audience members, even if they are dumb. It generates Office-levels of discomfort.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Not Operator posted:

I didn't love him, but he had two or three decent jokes that the audience iced him on for no discernible reason.

Also, there is nothing more awkward than Doug getting mad at audience members, even if they are dumb. It generates Office-levels of discomfort.

He's tried really hard to turn that Amy Adams incident into a gag, but that was a moment where I legitimately thought, "Calm down you old stoner rear end in a top hat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Not Operator posted:

True, but you can hear in recent episodes what happens when he doesn't do it for a long time. His audiences have been intolerable since they've been encouraged to shout the opening line of the show and "AMY ADAMS!" and to throw donuts around, and Sarah Silverman finally called him on letting the crowds out of his iron grasp on a recent episode. Seems like he's started cracking down again since then, and I'm thankful for that. I'd rather have a few minutes of the show ruined then nearly all of it.

• Locked thread