Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Mierenneuker posted:

Can I get a yay or nay on the episode with Danny Trejo? He's a fascinating guy but I'm not sure if he translates to a good guest, and I don't care much for the other guests.

Nay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed it ok. Trejo kinda takes it over in a, "I don't know what's going on and I feel like I have to be entertaining" kind of way, but being that he's Danny Trejo, everyone plays along.

Though I think I have bad taste in DLMs so take what I have to say with that in mind. As with any podcast I say give it a chance and if it annoys you bail without feeling bad.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

It's Danny Trejo, an awesome dude and legit action movie legend. Automatic listen. You know the next 4 episodes are going to be Graham Elwood and whoever he can find in Zanie's Nebraska or Punchline Indiana, right?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The gameplay is bottom of the barrel but it's one of the funnier episodes of late. Danny Trejo is gem, and listening to him have so much fun is a delight.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Trejo is cool okay.

https://twitter.com/BRANDONWARDELL/status/750549560297218049

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i listened to a new dlm for the first time in a long time thanks to pft and tommy middleditch. it was okay.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
New ep is from Traverse City Film Festival. Doesn't it feel like the last one was just a month or two ago?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Latest ep was so painfully awful I felt compelled to post. Sean Cullen is the most annoying guest in the history of the show and that's quite a feat.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I didn't even listen. There's a few guests I hate. Sean Cullen. Dustin Ybarra. That's really it as far as I remember.

Edit:VVV I don't know If I've heard one with her.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 5, 2016

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

The Ape of Naples posted:

Yeah, I didn't even listen. There's a few guests I hate. Sean Cullen. Dustin Ybarra. That's really it as far as I remember.

Ester Ku

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

JFC posted:

New ep is from Traverse City Film Festival. Doesn't it feel like the last one was just a month or two ago?

You are probably mixing it up with the Traverse City Comedy Festival which was in February.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I like Sean Cullen but I know I'm in the minority. I think Doug's reaction to him in the last episode was really lovely and is based on the fact that people hate him rather than him actually being a bad guest. Butttttttt, I guess that's kind of the same thing for Doug's purposes of having an audience that actually wants to tune in.

rest in peace Sean Cullen, may your angelic voice bring joy to the handfuls of people who can stand you

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

i am the bird posted:

based on the fact that people hate him

Not heard this episode, but this is news to me.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I wasn't gonna listen but Doug's intro at the beginning has me intrigued. Was Sean just super loud and obnoxious and/or drunk?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Doug got mad at him last show because he talked over people a couple of times and was loud and abrasive when people were yelling "full title!" during Last Man Stanton. That carried into this show where Sean acknowledged it at the beginning but Doug was a full on dick from the start, yelling at Sean the first time he talked 'out of turn' and then needling him the whole episode. Sean occasionally went off-topic to tell a story about a film that came up in conversation and Doug would cut him off. At some point, Sean decided to push back and kept putting his microphone down, asking for permission to speak, or sarcastically apologizing for 'interrupting.' At the end of the show, Sean passive-aggressively apologized and walked off stage. Doug jokingly asked aloud if he walked off because he was upset, acting like Sean was being a big baby about the whole thing. Sean then came back and thanked the crowd and feigned an apology. Then he tried to tell another story and Doug yelled at him again for interrupting when the show was supposed to be ending.

I don't really get it. I thought Doug overreacted. I don't think Sean was being rude in either episode but I guess the vibe could've been different live. In any event, it makes Sean look bad (deserved or otherwise) and Doug look as cranky as ever. I doubt Sean will be back anytime soon.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

i am the bird posted:

I doubt Sean will be back anytime soon.
I'm ok with this.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Doug seems to become an extremely cranky old man when he's not properly "medicated".

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Sean seems like a nice guy but yeah I loathe every episode he's in. He does take over the entire show and I don't find his singing or long-winded stories entertaining.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
I don't mind him at all, and I get very confused whenever he's on because the same exchange seems to happen multiple times.

Sean says something.
Doug tells him to shut the gently caress up, he's trying to wrap up/start a game/finish a game.
Sean apologizes.
Doug immediately asks him to sing the theme song from whatever.

It was especially noticeable in the last episode because Doug was SO MAD at a few points, but then kept asking Sean to sing poo poo.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Wahlberg episodes are the best

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Two things. First, my friend went to the Orlando show, and sat right behind the two girls Doug had kicked out. I couldn't really hear their responses on the podcast, but he said their response to his question, "Are you drunk?" was a slurred, "Are YOU drunk?" He also said they had been talking the whole show, and Doug had quietly motioned to them to be quiet several times before saying anything. Still, quite the angry Doug moment.

Second, the new episode with Samm Levine has the return of an old favorite. The Leonard Maltin Game, proper.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
So, for those who have been, is Doug usually found hanging out and enjoying combustibles with fans before the shows, afterward, or both?

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004
Shamu knows that i'm being sarcastic
Is there going to be a 12 guests of xmas this year or has the whole podcast fallen too far apart at the seams? I've listened to one episode this year because I knew it was going to be bad. How can this show go on?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

He did two (LA + NY) but they're only available for purchase.

The quality of guests on the regular episodes has declined significantly so even I, someone who can listen to even the worst of DLM banter, have basically stopped listening. Not sure if I'm going to drop money on the christmas eps but I do have a long car ride coming up.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

The NYC ep was awful. Do not spend money on it. It checks off everything wrong with DLM lately. Lackluster lineup, donut throwing, no LMG and cranky Doug at his worst. First, he yells at the guests for picking up "extra" mics, then five minutes later, he gets on them for speaking without a mic. I like to support the show by buying these, but this will be the last NYC Xmas episode I buy. Hoping the LA episode is better like it was last year.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Thermos H Christ posted:

So, for those who have been, is Doug usually found hanging out and enjoying combustibles with fans before the shows, afterward, or both?

Neither?

I mean maybe if he's traveling and its not in LA yes.

But in Los Angeles he usually shows up within 15 minutes of the show and leaves pretty quickly after.

So Doug does getting Doug with High and has a new thing on JASH called High Court. And then he travels a lot to do Doug Loves Movies too?

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

CygnusTM posted:

The NYC ep was awful. Do not spend money on it. It checks off everything wrong with DLM lately. Lackluster lineup, donut throwing, no LMG and cranky Doug at his worst. First, he yells at the guests for picking up "extra" mics, then five minutes later, he gets on them for speaking without a mic. I like to support the show by buying these, but this will be the last NYC Xmas episode I buy. Hoping the LA episode is better like it was last year.

Interestingly, I thought the 2015 NYC guests episode was way better than the LA one. But 2016 definitely put things back to normal. It seemed like 80% of the NYC show was just getting through the introductions. LA version was much better, as expected.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

For those of you who stopped listening to DLM, Doug spent all of Nov/Dec doing a bit where he literally says nothing for 3-5 minutes in between saying "You can find this tour dates and other info..." and "...at douglovesmovies.com".

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

For those of you who stopped listening to DLM, Doug spent all of Nov/Dec doing a bit where he literally says nothing for 3-5 minutes in between saying "You can find this tour dates and other info..." and "...at douglovesmovies.com".

Thanks I'll continue to not listen

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I feel good about not listening to DLM anymore.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Is it really 3 to 5 minutes? That's a long rear end time

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Who are the LA 12 guests?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Evil Agita posted:

Is it really 3 to 5 minutes? That's a long rear end time

It is. And it's the thing that's finally getting me to consider not listening anymore. Donut throwing was bad enough. It's like he's trying to make the podcast unlistenable for some reason.

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Who are the LA 12 guests?

Leonard Maltin
Jon Hamm
Samm Levine
Noel Wells
Garfunkel and Oates
Rich Sommer
Brie Essring(?)
Sean Jordan
Amy Miller
Sean Sakime
Ramone Rivas II

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

thrawn527 posted:

It is. And it's the thing that's finally getting me to consider not listening anymore. Donut throwing was bad enough. It's like he's trying to make the podcast unlistenable for some reason.

He stopped doing it in the latest episodes

davey_dave
Jun 22, 2014

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I remember one bit where no one was saying anything and there was a bunch of random laughter, maybe for about 2 minutes or so. I will say I don't even miss the original Maltin game, although I wish he'd sometimes bring back the version where he allows people to say the actor names in the movie in any order. LMS is still a lot of fun, though. It is definitely my favorite game.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I've begun just skipping to 30 minutes in (the games always start roughly around there), and ending it when the game is over. 20 minutes of fun, instead of 80 minutes of drudge.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Golbez posted:

I've begun just skipping to 30 minutes in (the games always start roughly around there), and ending it when the game is over. 20 minutes of fun, instead of 80 minutes of drudge.

I tend to do a bit of the opposite. "Ugh, another game of LMS? Skip, skip, skip." I like the IMDB game, but I really miss the LMG.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
:siren: good guests for a change :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Saw Doug at Sketchfest for the 50 Shades interruption and it was really, really funny.

• Locked thread