Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Sarah Silverman, Zach Galifinakis and Rory Scovel were the guests tonight at Doug Loves Movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Zach Galifinakis, Riki Lindholme, and Samm Levine are guests tonight as we speak. Some sweet swag too.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Man. Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost are hilarious. Just really funny dudes. A very fun episode and just really funny dudes. They had great prizes to give away too.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Sorry didn't mean to be vague. I work at UCB on tuesdays right now so I'm there every tuesday. This is one of the few times I was genuinely geeking out over the guest panel though.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
White House Brown

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
To clarify. I just said working since it would make more sense but basically if you ever go to the theater(s) in New York or LA you will have people working at the front of house. The box office etc. I'm actually just an intern. I'm not being paid. They have a rotating grip of people who work for free in exchange for free classes and as a side benefit you get to see a ton of good comedy for free. I've been interning on Tuesday nights for a couple months now. I can't do this indefinitely. They usually make you stop after about a year. It's fine. I really like it because i love comedy and its pretty simple. People can be really huge assholes though. Its usually management/agent people who are the worst but there are also just random weirdos and also oddly a lot of people in the neighborhood which includes businesses hates UCB. They basically blame it for any bad stuff or for blocking the sidewalk due to lines, ignoring the fact that without the theater on the block they would get so much less loving foot traffic.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Politicalrancor posted:

which businesses? the restaurant or the wine shop?

Franklin and Company, Burgeouis Pig, and La Poubelle all have relatively adversarial views of UCB as far as I can tell. THEY HATE when people are lined up in front of their places.

Also there is a contingent of local residents who come in occasionally to bitch about how the theater makes parking horrible for everyone in the neighborhood. Some guy came in the other night and started going off on us in the lobby saying, "You know if I was a business owner in this neighborhood I'd take care of the neighborhood. You guys make such a mess outside." Then he referred to broken bottle on the curb area and blamed us for that and why aren't we picking it up? And he kept saying how pissed he was at how "we don't care about the neighborhood." This ignores the fact that hipster douchebags hang out at The Oaks and La Poubelle all loving day. Like, literally, you'll have dude bros and random women hang out in front of those places and just smoke and drink wine for 8 or 9 hours. I've gone in at 4pm for my shift, left at 12:30 am and the same people will be there on a tuesday just sipping wine and smoking. They leave their cigarette butts everywhere but no, its the theater's fault that a bunch of fat comedy nerds are making a big ruckus. It's really ridiculous because the theater brings in so much loving residual business.

Trust me. If you ever go to the theater hang outside the place a while and play the game "Guess who's going to UCB and guess who's hanging out all night being cool." I'll give you a hint. It's the schlubby guy wearing a Less Than Jake tshirt and has a beard that is going to UCB and not being annoying.

As far as becoming an intern. You can't just walk in and ask. It's based on teacher recommendations if you've taken classes there or are active in the community (comedy/improv/stuff).

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The thing about it is, Harry Dean Stanton is old as gently caress. I mean, he looked 80 in Alien. The fact that he's actually only 87 now is kind of shocking to me. I loved when they brought up You Me and Dupree and he was just like "I don't remember that."

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I'm going to spoil poo poo for you all.

Jon Hamm, Nick Offerman, and Werner Herzog. It's magic.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Not to mention audiences just tend to thin out this time of year for a couple months until the holidays. People are back at work/school/other stuff. Shows just are lighter across the board this time of year until like December.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The really stupid part about Doug being pissed is, well, you're yelling at the people who are there rather than the people who stayed home.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Golbez posted:

How early do we need to show up to get into the show at UCB? Assuming, of course, that it's not mostly empty.

Unless people have an inkling that the guests are going to be big time ala Pegg, Frost, Wright showing up an hour to 45 minutes early is usually more than sufficient.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Its quite random when they sell out as Friday is often more of a 'we're going on a cheap fun date' crowd. If you're trying to get tickets for the 25th I wouldn't wait any later than next wednesday. Things sell out for no rhyme or reason so sometimes they go fast sometimes they go slow.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Werner Herzog was very very funny today.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

cams posted:

I don't like when he has on directors of really lovely movies.

I thought he took it all in stride. Didn't try to be too funny and Doug was giving him poo poo.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Doug is hosting intentionally the worst guests possible.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
If you're just listening to the podcast I can't see how you'd ever enjoy this but in person it was quite funny. Samm Levine visibly being so frustrated and knowing it wasn't just a gag was so good.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Looking forward to the big show tomorrow. Wonder who the guests will be?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Edgar Wright is in Los Angeles. I pray Edgar Wright will be there.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
No Paul f Tompkins. Evidently he was sick.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I don't have anything against Hardwick but watching that thing in person was kind of funny because Hardwick was trying so hard to mug for the audience a few times. When he first started doing that awful Levy impression Scott just rolled his eyes and it was hilarious.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The Bane impression is awful. I remember at the 12 days of Doug he was forcing it and the general look of disinterest on peoples faces was great.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I knew I should have gone to the live show.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Getting to the theater by 6:30 or so is hard if you live anywhere but Hollywood and or have a job somewhere else in the city. Traffic is truly awful that time of night.

Also, he complained about this last year too almost the same time of year. After Labor Day and before the holiday period crowds get a bit lighter in general.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Also yeah it was 100+ degrees. Who wants to go wait in a line for 30 minutes in the hot sun? Doug is weird.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Haha what is he complaining about now? He should know as much as everyone that December comedy crowds and this goes for improv, standup, or anything else are always sparse because people leave town or are busy.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

The Berzerker posted:

well I never!!!!

That's part of his complaining.

I PUT ON A FREE SHOW AND PEOPLE AREN'T HERE!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I'll say this. Parking is way worse at nerdist and its in an even more inconvenient part of Hollywood. So I can't wait for his rant about how small the audience is.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
It does make sense that if hes going to start charging him moving venues makes a much more clean break. Its definitely a popular enough show that him charging $10 at Nerdmelt isn't crazy.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I have not listened to an episode since it left UCB. It seems like the hard out 45-50 minute time frame probably helped keep the episode moving too.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I'll give it a listen. Always down for a good ep of Doug Loves Movies, though I too have kind of checked out. UCB seems to have been a breaking point. Is there some way to blame Cameron Esposito for this?

As it's been said before, Doug is just an old grumpy dude. He was getting pissed because it wasn't completely filled out at the theater. Even though asking people to come into Hollywood during rush hour and wait in line for an unannounced lineup. Plus he got notably grumpy about that around the Holidays and it's like, dude, lots of people leave town and the crowd for every show is lighter that time of year. It's just how it goes.

Although I totally get it, more power to him. If he could make some money off it I get that.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Trejo is cool okay.

https://twitter.com/BRANDONWARDELL/status/750549560297218049

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Thermos H Christ posted:

So, for those who have been, is Doug usually found hanging out and enjoying combustibles with fans before the shows, afterward, or both?

Neither?

I mean maybe if he's traveling and its not in LA yes.

But in Los Angeles he usually shows up within 15 minutes of the show and leaves pretty quickly after.

So Doug does getting Doug with High and has a new thing on JASH called High Court. And then he travels a lot to do Doug Loves Movies too?

• Locked thread