Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004
Shamu knows that i'm being sarcastic
Doug definitely has something going on with his eyes beyond the recent episode where he jokes about needing glasses. He mentions the issue in some older episodes and you can see it when looking at him, i don't know if it's a lazy eye or what but if he didn't have the perpetual stoner squint it would be much more noticeable.

Compared to a lot of stoners he may seem moody or type A or whatever but compared to most stand-up comedians he's an upstanding citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

Ummmm, the Nanjiani/Maron ep was really good.

Seriously, the spat between Kumail and Marc was great. I can understand that after awhile the extent of Bert's hysterics could be a little aggravating to some, but for me the premise he was laughing about was absolutely hilarious and his incapacitated howling didn't ruin a thing.

I'm also mostly unfamiliar with Bert Kreischer other than his previous DLM appearance and his episode of You Made it Weird. Speaking of You Made it Weird, if you're part of the group that found Bert at least tolerable if not full-on entertaining i can't recommend his YMIW episode enough. Pete and Bert feed off each others energy in a way that is beyond manic and absolutely hilarious. If Doug dares to have another "most difficult guest" episode with T.J., Pete and Jeff or some combination thereof he should bring Bert back as well. The theater may just explode.

Are people really that eager to get to the Leonard Maltin Game? is that actually some people's favorite part of this podcast? i listen to it for the comedians interacting with each other with the loose framework of a gameshow. complaining about the show for the elements that are just trappings of a show with comedians, i.e. they get drunk and/or insult each other, just seems weird.

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004
I love all of the episodes in the series of the "worst guests ever" competition and this was probably the best one yet. A contributing factor for me may have been that i am one of those for whom Jeff Garlin is their least favorite of the most annoying guests. I actually will go as far as to say that i can't stand Jeff Garlin and i think a lot of it comes from listening to him on podcasts. He's like the loud, obnoxious version of Samm Levine. He takes everything too seriously, thinks he knows more about everything than everybody else, has a weird pompous air of self importance, but then explodes with his goddamn banshee laugh at the drop of a hat. And his greatest comedic offering is the word "jism."

That said, T.J. was a goddamn gift from heaven in this episode.

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004

De Nomolos posted:

I'm the only person who likes him. Guess I won't see you at The Whistling Banes.

I can't stand Pete Holmes. Does he purposefully try to ruin every episode he's on? Is that his bit?

Here's Doug on Pete's tv show addressing the issue.

http://peteholmes.com/video/73709/doug-loves-movies-but-doesn-t-love-pete-

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

I love Pete but I wish I liked his podcast more. The 1 on 1 interview format killed it for me when I tried a few.

YMIW used to be my favorite podcast and i listened to every episode. in the past year or so i think the quality of the show has gone downhill dramatically. You can probably chalk it up to him devoting most of his energy toward his TV show since he's been talking about that for over a year now. I think you could probably draw a line in quality in the podcast that would be inversely proportional to his overall success.

I think as a starting point to seeing what is or was so great about YMIW you have to look at the first 50 or so episodes. I would recommend:
Emily Gordon #22
Kumail Nanjiani #1
Bill Burr #23
Greg Fitzsimmons #29
Kyle Kinane #30
Duncan Trussel #36
Shelby Fero #45
Tommy Johnagin #69
Kulap Vilaysack's #68 episodes as You Made It Weird in its prime.

there have been a ton of great episodes after that and even some of the more recent ones can still be occasionally great, but there was definitely a period where the show was on a roll where i thought that every episode was gold.

Yes, Pete won't stop talking, yes, you will have to get used to his laugh, yes, a million other things but if you stick with it it can have some of the most interesting stories, honest open moments of humanity, and laugh out loud hilarious moments i've ever heard in a podcast. I love Pete Holmes.

Greg Proops though. gently caress that guy.

Fieryspork fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 22, 2013

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Holy poo poo, I hate Jeff Garlin.

I agree wholeheartedly.

The most recent episode is one of the best examples of why Garlin is such a difficult, obnoxious guest without for a second pausing to be funny. One of the only annoying things he didn't check off of his awful list is saying the word "jism" and expecting it to be funny at face value. I am so, SO glad that they took some time after he left to talk poo poo about him, if only Doug would stop inviting him back.

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

Holy poo poo I usually like guests having fun, but that Jared guy has the worst piecing giggle and literally laughs at everything and blows all other audio away

oh man. you need to catch yourself up on Ron Funches. it might not be the best introduction to listen to him on a casual podcast. if you watch his stand-up or on @Midnight his giggle is an absolute delight. He's hilarious, radiates joy, and just might be your guardian angel.

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004
i thought Lorenza was cool but i thought Eli's stories about Peru were some of the most genuinely interesting things that have ever been said on DLM, when Doug kind of interjected to explain what was in the prize bag i was a little upset. I also loved how he would reference complex heady things to talk about stupid poo poo. He might be a DLM MVP.

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004
i stopped listening to the 12 guests episode less than half an hour in. eleven people i couldn't give less of a poo poo about and the one really funny person is the first to go? fuuuuuuck that. oddly enough i did know the mary-kate and ashley movie.

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004
It's $2 on Amazon. It is a goddamn train wreck. Bert is drunk from the beginning and is upset that Doug won't let him bring one hundred hamburgers onstage because the venue is a restaurant. Bert just gets more drunk and won't let Doug start the games and makes fun of people for liking Star Wars. Geoff and Doug pile on Bert for not knowing anything about movies and being obnoxious. Doug apparently yells at him in the hallway backstage. He eventually comes back out, talks with Doug, and the games start. That's basically the first half. Then he drinks more, he gets worse, he gets mean and eventually is booted and the other three finish the show off.

There's also a two hour podcast called Doug Loves Bert that is apparently them making up.

Fieryspork fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 14, 2016

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I usually like angry old man Doug but he went way too far in this episode. Bert was drunk and obnoxious, but he was also being funny. I mean, chastising your friend in front of hundreds of people over and over and over and over again to the point where his voice is cracking from being near-crying and where you can audibly hear a man broken down is excessive. I haven't listened to their make-up episode on Bert's podcast, but goddamn, Doug.

I agree. I mean, Bert flew himself out there just to be on the show. It's not like this is the first time he's ever been on DLM, even on a normal episode instead of what Doug calls a "gently caress around" episode with T.J. and Pete. He's been at least equally ridiculous on other episodes so I don't know what Doug was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004
Is there going to be a 12 guests of xmas this year or has the whole podcast fallen too far apart at the seams? I've listened to one episode this year because I knew it was going to be bad. How can this show go on?

• Locked thread