Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

OldMemes posted:

Fallout 1 had a good balance - not too harsh that you felt under stress, but tight enough that you didn't want to waste time and keep pushing forward.

I can't remember the last time I managed to beat Fallout 1 without Necropolis mowed over by Supermutants.

In an organic playthrough without going out of your way to complete quests in locations you don't have any reason to be at, you have to double back the entire north-south length of the map 3 or 4 times which pushes against some of the time limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've never managed to save it either. Shame it's my favorite settlement in the game

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1h_fy9Ikzw

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Not quite sure what caused this new golden age or NV memes more then a decade after it came out, but I’m also not complaining.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I just found this randomizer mod and and it's hilarious. It randomly swaps equipment, enemy types and model sizes for all of the creatures and NPCs. So Sunny Smiles might be wearing legion armor, a random shop keeper has power armor and ED-E is a roboscorpion. Also a lot of people have skeleton bodies and normal heads.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70845
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OA8sdg-bg0

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Not quite sure what caused this new golden age or NV memes more then a decade after it came out, but I’m also not complaining.

I can almost guarantee it was sparked by the release of The Frontier, things were very quiet until then.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbLW4JP1LxA

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
:tviv: :lmao:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This is more of a Black Isle / Obsidian in general question than a New Vegas question but does anyone find it odd that the redhead companions tend to get a bad rap compared to the other party members? Annah, Mira and Cass seem to always rank pretty low among their respective parties when it comes to fan preference.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Cass just feels kind of underpowered when put up against the raging killbots that are Boone and Veronica (also she's harder to recruit than any companion besides Raul). I got nothing on Annah, I always kept her around because I didn't feel like making Nameless One a thief.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Mira was great, the only problem was you wanted to let her get deep in her original class so she would be a better blaster-Jedi. Flat out ignoring enemy mines.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is more of a Black Isle / Obsidian in general question than a New Vegas question but does anyone find it odd that the redhead companions tend to get a bad rap compared to the other party members? Annah, Mira and Cass seem to always rank pretty low among their respective parties when it comes to fan preference.

I thought people liked Cass? I did and I've only ever heard good things.

I also liked Mira a lot, though. I definitely don't hear much about her but when I played KOTOR 2 I felt she had the most powerful Force Sensitive Awakening scene. It changed a lot too depending on your alignment. Mira's VA was a great actress, could sell being either overwhelmed by all the pain or coldly declaring she'll never again be a victim.

Although if we're talking like gameplay power and ranking, I never noticed or cared. I just took whoever I liked.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I always take Cass because a foul-mouthed cowgirl buddy is too cool to turn down. Also, a pink plaid shirt is more stylish than any fashion item the other companions have, including Boone's hat and Rex's brain.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I think people like Cass, but the stock caravan shotgun isn't well-suited to most of the enemies you fight around the time you get her.

It's easily-remedied, but I wouldn't be surprised if people look at her, look at Boone, and just conclude, "She is mechanically bad," before booting her instead of changing her gear.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Mira was awesome. A male exile has Handmaiden and Visas fawning over him. And then Mira just immediately shuts any potential romance subplot down with "Eww, you're old". :allears:

I don't think Annah, Cass or Mira have a bad rap per se. It's not like for example KotOR2's Disciple who I think is pretty universally regarded as a wet noodle. To the point where I've seen new players get the advice to install a Handmaiden-for-female-Exile mod when playing as a female Exile.
I think these three are solid characters that are liked, but over the years have become overshadowed by other companions with more meme potential. I mean a thiefling is all fine and well, but there's this wise cracking, floating skull and a dude who is perpetually on loving fire.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 3, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like Cass, but sadly since her sidequest is so straightforward and almost every other companion demands that you drag them around to the distant corners of the map, desperately hoping that you'll hit the right triggers, I'll end up spending much less time with her.

I didn't actually realize she had red hair either, it's not very visible under her hat.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

It's time to shamefully admit that several hundred hours into playing New Vegas I've still never recruited Raul or... the nightkin one with the Leo alternate personality, I literally only went up to that settlement once ever and I'm drawing a blank. I think I recruited Cass on one playthrough. Mostly just didn't want human companions after I did their stories once but those two were either painful to get to trigger (Raul) or too easily forgotten (... yknow). Cass was, as was said, really straightforward and not much time spent with her. ED-E was just about always with me followed by Veronica I think though.

Was Raul's quest being so easily missed intentional?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cass is alright but her unique perk is kind of awful, and having to double back after hitting vegas to get her is kind of lame.

Their should've been a moderate skill check to convince the outpost leader to let her go look at the wreckage of her caravan herself.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Recruiting companions for perks or because they are the strongest feels wrong in 3D Fallouts, it's not like you need the help because the games are mechanically challenging. On the other hand Cass is the character most likely to chime in during the travel and IIRC has the most talking head dialogue.So I usually have her tag along and only recruit the others to bee-line their personal quests. Or have a mod tht allows me to have two human companions so I don't have to deal with that much choice.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SkyeAuroline posted:

It's time to shamefully admit that several hundred hours into playing New Vegas I've still never recruited Raul or... the nightkin one with the Leo alternate personality, I literally only went up to that settlement once ever and I'm drawing a blank. I think I recruited Cass on one playthrough. Mostly just didn't want human companions after I did their stories once but those two were either painful to get to trigger (Raul) or too easily forgotten (... yknow).
poor Lily :(

the irony of her being forgotten when she, herself, is about forgetting is palpable

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Am I wrong in remembering that doing Lily’s quest doesn’t even require you to leave the area she’s in? I don’t think I ever really recruited her but was still able to have her go do the science stuff with the doctor and got the “she stayed on her medication” ending slide

It’s been a while since I played the game, and even longer since I had a meaningful interaction with Lily, so I’m probably remembering wrong

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I don't recruit companions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it's because the three I mentioned are pretty straightforward and dare I say "conventional" compared to their respective parties. They're not bad, and I like them well enough but they're overshadowed by the more out there companions. Are you going to connect more with the scottish tiefling thief or with the man who is literally on fire. The no nonsense punk bounty hunter or the foolish card shark hiding his past as a ruthless murderer. The drunken caravaneer with a mostly normal life or a suicidal sniper, hallucinating grandma mutant, 200 year old mechanic cowboy, or morally conflicted brotherhood and Enclave members?

They aren't bad, they're just don't stand out from the pack of other RPGs all that much. And they're all redheads, so maybe it's character design making up for being less "weird."

Of the three I'd rank Cass as my favourite, followed by Mira followed by Annah. Cass is the most normal of the bunch and that does set her apart in Vegas because she's generally had a simple life compared to the crazies you pick up. And she has good insights on the NCR I appreciate.

Mira unfortunately gets stuck with some annoying plot convenience elements right as she joins your party, with the whole segment where she gasses you and gets captured in the cantina feeling super contrived and undermining the game's presentation of her as a professional hunter. I also feel that her past as a child soldier in the Mando Wars should have been developed further and maybe given her some more interaction with Canderous or the camp on Dxun, considering how that war colours everything in the game.

Annah really just feels there to me. That's selling her short but she's mostly "the Rogue" of your party, which is kinda disappointing when you have burning man and floating Skull buddies.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 3, 2021

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sheen Sheen posted:

Am I wrong in remembering that doing Lily’s quest doesn’t even require you to leave the area she’s in? I don’t think I ever really recruited her but was still able to have her go do the science stuff with the doctor and got the “she stayed on her medication” ending slide

It’s been a while since I played the game, and even longer since I had a meaningful interaction with Lily, so I’m probably remembering wrong

Nah her personal quest is different from the stealth boy one. She's actually the biggest pain in the rear end to get to trigger, bugged to poo poo too.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Nah her personal quest is different from the stealth boy one. She's actually the biggest pain in the rear end to get to trigger, bugged to poo poo too.

I mean, you can trigger that companion quest without leaving town too. Rest a little, shoot her until she berserks, rest a little more.

The only reason it's so hard to trigger is that even at 1 charisma, Lily is too drat beefy to ever get hurt enough to berserk. Well, there's Deathclaws, which will skip straight past berserk, and instead make her dead.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I just use the console to get ED-E and Boone's perks then just take companions long enough to do their sidequests.

The Courier is a Lone Wolf *howl*

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Last time I played Boone bugged out during his quest and got stuck. Absolutely nothing would fix it so I just left him to stand forever outside that camp.

Too bad, before that we had a good time killing Caesar and every legionary on this side of the river.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

oh jay posted:

I mean, you can trigger that companion quest without leaving town too. Rest a little, shoot her until she berserks, rest a little more.

The only reason it's so hard to trigger is that even at 1 charisma, Lily is too drat beefy to ever get hurt enough to berserk. Well, there's Deathclaws, which will skip straight past berserk, and instead make her dead.

Oh I thought she needed some voice triggers too, that's not too bad then I guess.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In my current playthrough I can't recruit Cass because I completed There Stands The Grass, which means Dr. Hildern is now bugged and I can't deliver the invoice for Crimson Caravan.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Oh I thought she needed some voice triggers too, that's not too bad then I guess.

There might be a little more to it than that, but every run that I've remembered to shoot Lily in the face, I finish the quest soon afterwards.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

You have to overhear Lily taking her medicine, and talk to her whole dialogue tree, but you could do the whole thing by just sleeping in Jacobstown and letting Lily get dogpiled by some enemies once.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Chamale posted:

and letting Lily get dogpiled by some enemies once.
Pretty sure you can just shoot her yourself and it'll work.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I’ve played with Raul and Arcade in one playthrough but never Lily. I laughed at Arcade simply saying “Uhhhhh” if you aim a weapon at him

Could never get Goris to join in Fallout 2 which I was never able to figure out

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lily is also just kind of too large to have around, getting around her in a vault or a cave can be frustrating.

Keith Atherton posted:

I’ve played with Raul and Arcade in one playthrough but never Lily. I laughed at Arcade simply saying “Uhhhhh” if you aim a weapon at him

Could never get Goris to join in Fallout 2 which I was never able to figure out
poo poo I didn't know he was recruitable

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Lily is also just kind of too large to have around, getting around her in a vault or a cave can be frustrating.

poo poo I didn't know he was recruitable

You don't want Goris. Locking up the game for a second every time combat starts or ends gets really old really fast.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
More sapient deathclaws!! :rant:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Tubgoat posted:

More sapient deathclaws!! :rant:

For real though, I get that some folks hated the "talking animals" but that's honestly one of the most interesting concepts you could do with Fallout—having non-human societies rising up from the wastes with their own cultures, thought processes, and priorities compared to normal-rear end humans. There's a lot of potential for storytelling there!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rex and Dogmeat are better than Goris, even without the ability to talk!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What if they were snake people who wanted to gently caress you tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Gaius Marius posted:

What if they were snake people who wanted to gently caress you tho

alright now let's not say things we can't take back