Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Naky posted:

Dusty from Medal of Honour does indeed have the look right down. You can get a face mask of him for FNV to wear as a mod, but the lips obviously don't animate and you won't find it on Nexus since it's a rip of commercial assets.

That's a real dude. Pictures of him were around the internet way before MoH.

Edit: Beaten like a rented mule.

Cousin Todd fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Kharmakazy posted:

That's a real dude. Pictures of him were around the internet way before MoH.

Yeah, I know it's a real dude :P Just wanted to point out where most people would have really seen him though - MoH.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

rope kid I was just kidding I don't have any money don't feel like you have to punish others for my poo poo post :ohdear:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Aw, bullshit, just when I've found New Vegas to be my favorite RPG of this generation...

^^^ And now I'm reading that the cancelled project was rope kid's! Fuuuuck. Hope you pull through, dude!

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 14, 2012

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Captain Walker posted:

rope kid I was just kidding I don't have any money don't feel like you have to punish others for my poo poo post :ohdear:

"Approximately 20-30 people from all disciplines, including one person who started yesterday, as well as one who started last week."

The classiest of moves.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

That bearded guy is everything I've ever wanted in a protagonist in a video game.

Go and play Alpha Protocol. :colbert:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Captain Walker posted:

Was this Sawyer's project? gently caress. Every other game cancelled.

It's hardly meaningful, but I wish you guys the best.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Playing Honest Hearts - I love how the Sorrows respond to Daniel's conversion attempts in exactly the same way as most historical religious mass conversions: by just incorporating it into their existing religion because it's not strictly incompatible.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

poptart_fairy posted:

Go and play Alpha Protocol. :colbert:

I did start it a while ago. I will keep playing it.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
edit: wrong thread.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Star Guarded posted:

Playing Honest Hearts - I love how the Sorrows respond to Daniel's conversion attempts in exactly the same way as most historical religious mass conversions: by just incorporating it into their existing religion because it's not strictly incompatible.
It was inspired by the syncretism of Catholicism and folk beliefs in Europe.

http://greencanticle.com/2008/09/05/st-guinefort-the-sorceress-the-dominican-inquisitor/

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

rope kid posted:

It was inspired by the syncretism of Catholicism and folk beliefs in Europe.

http://greencanticle.com/2008/09/05/st-guinefort-the-sorceress-the-dominican-inquisitor/

As much as I hate to bug you, but do you have any comments on the recent layoffs at Obsidian? There's a thread about it here.

Even if you're in "No comment" mode, some goons are wondering if you still have a job, or sending your CV to Brian Fargo to work on Wasteland 2.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 15, 2012

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I could play New Vegas style games for the rest of my life. You could even go Madden style and make yearly roster updates and I will give you my money. I hope things get better after this bit of news.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I am still at Obsidian.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

rope kid posted:

I am still at Obsidian.

god bless you. please still update your mod and keep making games as good as new vegas.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rope kid posted:

I am still at Obsidian.

Thank heavens. Sorry about your project getting cancelled, Jesus that must be like getting a knife through the heart.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Thank heavens. Sorry about your project getting cancelled, Jesus that must be like getting a knife through the heart.
It's happened five times already and each time it's happened his face has gotten permanently more frowny.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It's happened five times already and each time it's happened his face has gotten permanently more frowny.

Seriously, if you put some white face paint on him he'd look like a permanent Pierrot. Poor rope kid :smith:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
So anyone who doesn't loving hate Bethesda really, really should, because they are directly responsible for this mess

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I'm finally getting around to starting New Vegas after having owned it for several months (bought it as some sort of package deal with that piece of poo poo Brink :fuckoff:, hopefully NV redeems that purchase.) I picked up all the DLC along the way whenever I saw that it was on a Steam sale.

Should I play without the 4 expansion pack DLCs to begin with? I'm assuming that they will fill up my quest log as soon as I start the game just like Fallout 3 did and I'd prefer to not deal with that until I've worked my way through the main quest line. Or would that mean that I miss out on additional content that's added to the core game? (Not sure if those DLCs include extra weapons, perks, etc.)

Are there any mods that would be considered essential for a first playthrough? I played all the way through FO3 GOTY with no mods and found it perfectly enjoyable.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Parker Lewis posted:

I'm finally getting around to starting New Vegas after having owned it for several months (bought it as some sort of package deal with that piece of poo poo Brink :fuckoff:, hopefully NV redeems that purchase.) I picked up all the DLC along the way whenever I saw that it was on a Steam sale.

Should I play without the 4 expansion pack DLCs to begin with? I'm assuming that they will fill up my quest log as soon as I start the game just like Fallout 3 did and I'd prefer to not deal with that until I've worked my way through the main quest line. Or would that mean that I miss out on additional content that's added to the core game? (Not sure if those DLCs include extra weapons, perks, etc.)

Are there any mods that would be considered essential for a first playthrough? I played all the way through FO3 GOTY with no mods and found it perfectly enjoyable.

Play NV first, preferably at least twice. Install the add-ons and play those. They include sweet weapons, but nothing as broken as the FO3 stuff, and you should have Gun Runners's Arsenal/Courier's Stash anyway for your gun needs. THEN you can add mods.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Parker Lewis posted:

The DLCs will fill up the quest logs like you say, but they are designed to sort of run alongside the main story anyways (there are many references back and forth) There is in my opinion no reason to skip out on the DLCs on the first playthrough, they add quite a lot of depth to an already deep game.

There are no mods that I would consider essential on the first playthrough except interface mods. Most people use the Darkui (or whatever it's called), I use this one personally: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=34902
It just resizes the text and makes more dialogue options and such visible on the screen which means less scrolling.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Captain Walker posted:

So anyone who doesn't loving hate Bethesda really, really should, because they are directly responsible for this mess

Fallout 3, on the other hand, is sitting at a cool 91. There really is no justice in the world.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not only that, it used the terrible format of GFWL, couldn't even buy the DLC on my side.

Captain Walker posted:

Theyre going off a metacritic score?

Horse poo poo.

So the thousands of mods, modding community, positive reviews for DLCs, and the fact that every person in my steam friends list owns this game. None if it matters.

And they base it off a metacritic score.

So how do we get that useless grading system bumped up a point?

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Can't we just buy a reviewer like Eidos did?

Drake Lake
Aug 7, 2003

I'm a respected community leader! A shining pillar of moral strength!

Siljmonster posted:

I'm sure there's a time limit and such to reach that score.

This is all sorts of terrible news. I wonder if someone will bring this up at Chris Avellone's WonderCon panel (if it isn't canceled for whatever reason).

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Siljmonster posted:

Not only that, it used the terrible format of GFWL, couldn't even buy the DLC on my side.

Theyre going off a metacritic score?

Horse poo poo.

So the thousands of mods, modding community, positive reviews for DLCs, and the fact that every person in my steam friends list owns this game. None if it matters.

And they base it off a metacritic score.

One has to note that the game is widely owned, no doubt, more than a little bit thanks to the fact the retail price quickly cratered to $20; $10 on sale. One suspects that the publisher would much, much rather have sold those copies for $60/$50...

With a higher metacritic score they probably wouldn't have turned the game into a loss leader for the DLC.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I seem to recall Bethesda being fairly generous with price drops over time, and I imagine even Skyrim will be subject to one faster than most $60 games. Of course, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I remember reading that around a year ago...

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Captain Walker posted:

Obsidian not getting a bonus for a game released a year and a half ago caused this mess, not the fact that the article even says "layoffs that were said to be the result of a canceled next-gen project" or "Our tipster tells us that the North Carolina project was "desperately needed" for the studio's continued survival"?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gilg posted:

Obsidian not getting a bonus for a game released a year and a half ago caused this mess, not the fact that the article even says "layoffs that were said to be the result of a canceled next-gen project" or "Our tipster tells us that the North Carolina project was "desperately needed" for the studio's continued survival"?
Yeah, the contract for that pretty much ended and Obsidian wasn't operating on the assumption that they would actually get said bonus at the time of that contract. The hatred at Bethesda is quite misguided. It's a lovely bonus criteria, and it should have been related to sales, but it wasn't, and contracts with publishers very rarely grant royalties to low-medium sized developers.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 15, 2012

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It does bug me to find out that none of the money I paid for F:NV actually went to Obsidian though.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

Wow what a bunch of loving horseshit.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
It's not like this is really new for Obsidian. They're kind of a gun for hire in the industry. I imagine that a lot of their projects are there to give their people work and the hope that their success keeps them in work.

Sad but true that their latest original IP endevour crashed and burned but from what I've read on the behind-the-scenes, they are partly to blame themselves for some of the bad decisions/management on the project. As a result, it likely killed a lot of the polish and bug testing time due to the extended development period to redo things and that showed in the review scores.

It's really too bad that it had to be yet another rope kid project that got burnt though. Any more and soon we'll be able to make a somber drinking game out of it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Naky posted:

As a result, it likely killed a lot of the polish and bug testing time due to the extended development period to redo things and that showed in the review scores.

Whilst I am something of an AP apologist, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that a game like AP that starts slowly and values replayability would review badly because reviewers tend not to have time to play the game, certainly not replay the game. You can see that coming through when people claimed that it had no reactivity (unlike Mass Effect 2!).

Also some of them were just frighteningly bad at it, if talk of "pistols are worthless" is anything to go by.

The game needed more work, although it's not like more time and less interference would necessarily have created the perfect game - I personally liked the RPG style weapons which were only put in at Sega's insistence, apparently.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Also some of them were just frighteningly bad at it, if talk of "pistols are worthless" is anything to go by.

!

AP pistol talk brings back a happy memory of fighting the bad-rear end old man mercenary who'd been built up as an incredibly deadly threat (the outdoor cafe conversation between the two of you was absolutely fantastic if you'd done your research) and just using the multi-shot ability to blast him multiple times in the head with my tranq-gun and put him out for the count, finishing the boss battle in a couple of seconds. It was fantastic, one of my pet peeves (and a reason I could never play SW:TOR) is Boss battles where you shoot 45 million laser beams into a guy's face till the last one makes him fall over.

Shifting back to New Vegas, this was something that irritated me about Old World Blues since I was so high level when I did the DLC. The DLC itself was a blast, the story was great, the characters hilarious, but there were just way too many guys who needed several clips from the Dog Chain Gun to put down. I'm pretty sure there was more metal inside them than flesh by the time I was done.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

To be fair the Dog Chain gun kind-of sucks. When it came to Old World Blues I ended up taking a non-melee character and power-levelling her through levels 11-23 with the Proton Inversal Axe, the Super-heated Saturnite Glove, and using the Sonic Emitter to cram down anything I couldn't get reliably close to.

Couple that with the Q-whatever Matter Modulator (special Plasma Rifle) I found shortly after completing OWB, and I was able to mow through just about anything. Barely touched the Doggie Chain gun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Inverted Proton Axe was fantastic against robots, but from memory didn't do much of anything against the released lobotomites. I used the Doggie gun against them for two very important reasons:

1. They attacked in large enough numbers it felt more appropriate than using A Light Shining In The Darkness

2. The doggy whined sadly if I put it away for a different weapon :ohdear:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's when I'd switch to the Saturnite Fist. What it lacked in the bonus against Lobomites it made up for in sheer speed; having the toaster super-heat it to add critical fire damage really made it "pop" too.

It's weird, I own like 6 dogs but I never felt bad putting the doggie gun away. Hell I didn't feel bad making all the Rexie clones and sending them to their death just because I could. That's weird.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
The dog gun sucks in OWB because ammo is sparse and the enemies are bullet spongey and more susceptible to literally everything else (energy weapons, melee, unarmed, hell even explosives).

But bring it back to the Mojave and give it and thousands of rounds of ammo (Dead Money is great for this) to your preferred companion, and goddrat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I stand by the nail gun as my weapon of choice. I go straight to owb at level 1, loot the first tower and leave with a poo poo ton of awesome gear.