Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The more I think about it, Legate Lanius kind of reminds me of the archetype Conan barbarian character.

It's weird because I usually go Pro-NCR, but all their leaders are loving assholes. I mean I can really only stand Hsu and Hanlon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Lanius was sacrificially murdering the gently caress out of some slaves and NCR prisoners when I went to talk to him. It looked like some kind of religious thing for Mars. Maybe he's taking the whole Roman thing pretty seriously.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

The more I think about it, Legate Lanius kind of reminds me of the archetype Conan barbarian character.

One of Conan's big things is actually being anti-slavery. He's really more a symbol of personal autonomy than anything, and when he does have power it's shown as a burden placed on him rather than a privilege he takes. If he was in the game, he'd be the courier taking the independent path. "gently caress you, we're doing this my way".

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

i am tim! posted:

All of this sounds like a great idea, especially the Clint Eastwood poncho. I have the Signature Armor mod, I can't imagine why I didn't think to grab the Signature Weapon mod, though!

And yeah, I'm planning on using other weapons when situationally appropriate, like the Sniper Rifle. Now that I'm thinking about it, I might just skip the cowboy weapon part and use that .45 pistol everybody's raving about from Honest Hearts. I like that DLC anyway, plus a post apoc Cowboy would probably be using modern weapons anywho.

Also, it would seem That Gun is NOT effected by the Cowboy perk so screw it.

You don't necessarily NEED the sniper rifle. You can kill Corporal Sterling (I think, the old guy) at McCarran for his rifle, La Longue Carabine, which is a scoped cowboy repeater. Then later you can use a scoped trail carbine.

Actually, I find it funny thinking about it that two of the best guns in the game can be used for Cowboy. I find a brush gun with .45 SWC more fun than nearly anything else, save for making fuckers fly with a gauss gun.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Can you get that gun without killing Sterling?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

as opposed to That Gun, which he doesn't have.

Probably if you reverse pickpocket a weapon on him he likes better..

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
You don't need any mods for a cowboy playthrough. Each tier of guns has a decent option for you to use, including the very powerful brush gun. As a general rule, a pistol of a certain caliber is one "tier" lower than the rifle variant. A .357 pistol isn't great, but the .44 magnum and the cowboy repeater are about even. Then you can put a scope on the trail carbine or the hunting revolver (or Ranger Sequoia if you can get your hands on it) and go to town until you get the Brush Gun or Medicine stick, which is basically the brush gun but better in every way, especially the sights. It also features one of the highest effective DPSs, hitting harder than a sniper rifle (by a lot, with Cowboy) and firing faster. Hell, it hits almost as hard as an AMR (111 vs 128ish with all perks) and it does it very, very fast. And, SWC rounds are some of the best rounds available. The x3 condition damage doesn't mean poo poo when most weapons you pick up can repair your weapons.

Yeah, scoped weapons will be a bit weak, but you're a cowboy, son! Get your rear end in there.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
according to the wiki stealing ammunition will cause an non-player character to unequip their weapon, allowing even that to be stolen.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

i am tim! posted:

All of this sounds like a great idea, especially the Clint Eastwood poncho. I have the Signature Armor mod, I can't imagine why I didn't think to grab the Signature Weapon mod, though!

And yeah, I'm planning on using other weapons when situationally appropriate, like the Sniper Rifle. Now that I'm thinking about it, I might just skip the cowboy weapon part and use that .45 pistol everybody's raving about from Honest Hearts. I like that DLC anyway, plus a post apoc Cowboy would probably be using modern weapons anywho.

Also, it would seem That Gun is NOT effected by the Cowboy perk so screw it.

That Gun is certainly affected by said perk, and for sniping, you could just use the Medicine Stick.

Kharmakazy posted:

according to the wiki stealing ammunition will cause an non-player character to unequip their weapon, allowing even that to be stolen.

I tried this with Old Lady Gibson and it seemed straight-up impossible. Like, I could steal the ammo, but even when she was asleep and I was wearing a stealth boy and no one else was in the room 30 consecutive tries yielded nothing.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 2, 2012

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Pope Guilty posted:

Yes. You'll need a decent sneak skill, and probably a stealth boy. First steal whatever ammo he has, then run into MaCarran airport, save and reload, and when you go back outside Sterling should have unequiped the gun.

You will likely have to save-scum this, I've been able to get Big Boomer from Gibson, and the Mysterious Magnum doing this, but Sterling seems tougher to steal from (I've only gotten his ammo).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

You can buy That Gun at Novac. :downsrim:

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

You can buy That Gun at Novac. :downsrim:

People actually buy it?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ravenfood posted:

As a general rule, a pistol of a certain caliber is one "tier" lower than the rifle variant.

Is there a chart somewhere that lists the weapons by tiers? After installing Project Nevada and WMX, there's just a ton of weapons that are similar yet different and it's tough to figure out which is better for what based on the data in the inventory menu.

Penis Ouija posted:

People actually buy it?

I buy everything he has and gamble the money back. :clint:

Wasse
Jan 16, 2010

Penis Ouija posted:

People actually buy it?

Why not? What else do you do with all those caps :)

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Wasse posted:

Why not? What else do you do with all those caps :)

Fill bathtubs with them of course.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

isndl posted:

I buy everything he has and gamble the money back. :clint:

People actually play caravan? I cannot figure that lovely game out, no matter how many times I go over the instructions. I just hit the blackjack tables instead.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
This got snowed under in a heated discussion on Vault 11 last page, is there a console command to reset the dialogue tree of a single npc instead of the whole game?

Wasse
Jan 16, 2010

Stroth posted:

I always figure with as easily as I can break into people's houses and steal stuff, one day someone will do that to me.

Thankfully hasn't happened yet!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Asehujiko posted:

This got snowed under in a heated discussion on Vault 11 last page, is there a console command to reset the dialogue tree of a single npc instead of the whole game?

You can reset a specific quest, that might do it.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

sitchelin posted:

People actually play caravan? I cannot figure that lovely game out, no matter how many times I go over the instructions. I just hit the blackjack tables instead.

It's definitely an unusual game, but it's completely learnable if you like card games enough to pick up a new one. One of the hardest things to figure out was that you have to put a new numbered card UNDER the stack, not next to the top card. After that, everything made sense. The next hurdle was remembering what each face card did.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

sitchelin posted:

Yeah, it took me forever to figure out also. I had to watch a Youtube to realize that you needed to use the up/down arrow keys to place further cards, but after that it was mostly intuitive aside from internalizing what the face cards did.

I wish it was a mouse-driven interface though, because scrolling through cards is tiresome. Building a deck is especially slow, particularly when it starts glitching out and you get the animations for the wrong cards. Not to mention the animations sometimes hitching when you're actually playing.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You can reset a specific quest, that might do it.

I have reset the quest(Boulder City Showdown) but Lt Monroe doesn't let me start it again because his dialogue doesn't reset with the quest.

I also tried spawning another copy of him but that one shares his dialogue flags, same with disable/enable and kill/resurrect.

I've narrowed down the problem to that guy's dialogue flags not resetting but the only command I found to change that resets the dialogue flags all over the world, breaking everything else.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

I have reset the quest(Boulder City Showdown) but Lt Monroe doesn't let me start it again because his dialogue doesn't reset with the quest.

I also tried spawning another copy of him but that one shares his dialogue flags, same with disable/enable and kill/resurrect.

I've narrowed down the problem to that guy's dialogue flags not resetting but the only command I found to change that resets the dialogue flags all over the world, breaking everything else.

The last NCR guy you have to kill for the Khan's to leave is Lt. Munroe :ssh:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

JawKnee posted:

The last NCR guy you have to kill for the Khan's to leave is Lt. Munroe :ssh:
I don't want the Khan outcome, hence why I was asking how to reset the quest when the game bugged and forced me in that direction :ssh:

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
I installed AWOP and all I've been doing is exploring the new areas. I didn't expect to spend hours upon hours in a sprawling network of underground sections that went on and on. Exploration was fun but I get the feeling that the drops from mobs are too bountiful. I just got to Novak along the main quest and I'm already breaking 150,000 caps and level 30.

Also, which mod contains all the regular weapons but with the "M" suffix? Not sure after installing so many mods this time around, but drat do they inflate my income from vendoring.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

I've gone and broke something that I have no idea how to fix.

During the Boulder City Showdown, after I passed the speech check, I tried to squeeze out some extra xp by stealth killing all the unnamed NCR and Khan soldiers. Now talking to both faction leader only allows me to ask for misc info but nothing quest related and the log changed from "talk to the NCR guy about the deal" to "help the Khans kill everybody", which I can't, because they are already dead.

I've tried resurrecting everybody and then resetting the quest, which causes the NCR Lt to stop me from entering but none of the quest related dialogue is available again. Resetting dialogue flags seemed to work initially but then it turned out that it reset not only the guy I had selected but also everybody else I had ever talked to, which broke a whole lot more.

Is there a way to reset only the dialogue with one specific npc instead of everybody at once?

You're initial killing of NCR troopers (even if you've passed a speach check (with the Khan's or the Lt.?)) isn't really a bug, it overrides the quest and leaves you with only one solution - and rightfully so.

If you've been stealth killing the NCR then you won't lose NCR influence by also stealth killing Munroe, so why not do that?

This is assuming you have a save prior to resetting dialogue options. If not it sounds like you're right hosed, sorry.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

JawKnee posted:

Yes. You'll need a decent sneak skill, and probably a stealth boy. First steal whatever ammo he has, then run into MaCarran airport, save and reload, and when you go back outside Sterling should have unequiped the gun.

You will likely have to save-scum this, I've been able to get Big Boomer from Gibson, and the Mysterious Magnum doing this, but Sterling seems tougher to steal from (I've only gotten his ammo).
Its also possible to shoot (or punch) it off his hands. If you are fast enough to pick it up from the ground and don't do too much damage to him, he will forgive you for shooting him after you holster your weapon.

It takes a bit of trial and error to succeed on this, though.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

JawKnee posted:

You're initial killing of NCR troopers (even if you've passed a speach check (with the Khan's or the Lt.?)) isn't really a bug, it overrides the quest and leaves you with only one solution - and rightfully so.

If you've been stealth killing the NCR then you won't lose NCR influence by also stealth killing Munroe, so why not do that?

This is assuming you have a save prior to resetting dialogue options. If not it sounds like you're right hosed, sorry.
Again, none of this is relevant to my question, which was and still is:
How do I reset the dialogue flags of a single npc, without affecting the whole map?

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012

Haeleus posted:

I installed AWOP and all I've been doing is exploring the new areas. I didn't expect to spend hours upon hours in a sprawling network of underground sections that went on and on. Exploration was fun but I get the feeling that the drops from mobs are too bountiful. I just got to Novak along the main quest and I'm already breaking 150,000 caps and level 30.

Also, which mod contains all the regular weapons but with the "M" suffix? Not sure after installing so many mods this time around, but drat do they inflate my income from vendoring.

I think AWOP actually does that, if I remember correctly.

I felt that AWOP had a cool interconnected underground system going on, but for some reason I didn't really like it. Don't quite remember why.

AlternatePFG fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 2, 2012

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

isndl posted:

Is there a chart somewhere that lists the weapons by tiers?
Tiers are arbitrary designations of power and can be inferred by the skill requirement of the weapon.

Tier 1 = 0 (9mm Pistol, .357 Magnum Revolver, Varmint Rifle, Single Shotgun, Silenced .22 Pistol)
Tier 2 = 25 (9mm SMG, 10mm Pistol, Cowboy Repeater, Service Rifle, Caravan Shotgun)
Tier 3 = 50 (.44 Magnum Revolver, 10mm SMG, Lever-Action Shotgun, Silenced .22 SMG, Sawed-Off Shotgun, Hunting Rifle)
Tier 4 = 75 (Hunting Revolver, Trail Carbine, Hunting Shotgun, 12.7mm Pistol, Sniper Rifle)
Tier 5 = 100 (12.7mm SMG, Anti-Materiel Rifle, Marksman Carbine, Brush Gun, Minigun, Light Machine Gun, Riot Shotgun)

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Is there anyway you can display the snowglobes if you kill House? I always end up having them litter up my inventory and forget that I can't display them once hes dead.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

VaultAggie posted:

Is there anyway you can display the snowglobes if you kill House? I always end up having them litter up my inventory and forget that I can't display them once hes dead.

Nope. Once he's dead, Jane becomes just another Securitron. I was sad to find that out too, but at least she died with her...lover.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

VaultAggie posted:

The underground hideout mod has a display stand for snowglobes, but I don't know if it removes them from your inventory

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
After thinking about the plot of Honest Hearts for a few days since beating it, I think I realize why it felt so underwhelming: there's no tension. In the beginning it's cool since the White Legs mount a successful ambush and seem an intimidating foe, and up until you reach the Dead Horse camp you're definitely curious and cautious about this part of the wastes. But once you meet Joshua himself and see the Dead Horses you wonder why the gently caress you're even here. The tension of the plot, the feel of what's at stake, depends entirely upon the threat of the White Legs, but they never feel like a threat. The whole dilemma is that they will destroy the Sorrows and the Dead Horses to get to the New Cannanites on Caesar's orders, but it never feels like they ever get close to reaching that goal, they never seem dangerous. Even without the Courier there it seems like Joshua and the Dead Horses could have exterminated them on their own without even getting the Sorrows involved, absolutely no reason is given as to why the Sorrows are needed to fight when, from everything we've seen, Joshua is an absolute beast and has trained the Dead Horses well enough to defeat the White Legs. Failing that they could easily enough protect them long enough to leave the valley, and then Caesar would kill the White Legs for failure anyway. The White Legs succeeding never even seems like a remote possibility.

And again, this is all just by the time you get there. And thus you're led to wonder, why am I even needed here? To gather a handful of supplies? Graham and Daniel could have done these things themself anytime. To fight the White Legs? Why the gently caress can't Joshua do that? And futhermore, if you're needed to fight them, why the hell is this the one time in the game where the solution to a large amount of enemies ISN'T just to send the Courier alone to kill them? During the main game there are tons of quests that are basically you vs. an army for the hell of it, yet at this point when it would be the best choice for allowing the Sorrows to stay both innocent and in their ancestral home, it isn't even an issue on the table? The only thing you actually do in this drat quest is collect poo poo, and then for some reason the entire decision of whether the Sorrows fight or evacuate hinges on you, some stranger who just showed up by pure coincidence. Compared to the power struggle of the Mojave or Elijah's forcing you into his heist essentially at gunpoint, it just feels like there's nothing at stake here and that you have no reason or need to even get involved.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

VaultAggie posted:

I grabbed some upgraded suit 38 mod that puts the display for them up in your room and has a robot you can give them to.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My personal modifications to the game have started by replacing the title music with Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada.
If I ever fall asleep after running NV, I hope that Blaise Bailey Finnigan will wake me from my (presumably drunken) slumber with his borrowed poetry.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Stroth posted:

How do you do that without going insane, when ever I try to do that I end up with a circle of stuff around me and only some of it in the bath.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

kingturnip posted:

My personal modifications to the game have started by replacing the title music with Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada.
If I ever fall asleep after running NV, I hope that Blaise Bailey Finnigan will wake me from my (presumably drunken) slumber with his borrowed poetry.
I often listened to Moya while writing on F:NV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vRrGCVlMHk

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'd been playing my current save for about 130 hours and thought I'd seen most of the game. Then I picked up the Explorer perk.

gently caress. Me. The map now has a sea of red markers. How did they manage to include so much content in just a year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

I'd been playing my current save for about 130 hours and thought I'd seen most of the game. Then I picked up the Explorer perk.

gently caress. Me. The map now has a sea of red markers. How did they manage to include so much content in just a year?

Going by that song rope kid just posted, they did a lot of drugs.