Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Jerusalem posted:

Silly question, but in Old World Blues at the start, the Think Tank tells me I have to hurry because there isn't much time. While I've been looking around Big MT, they've spoken up a couple of times to remind me to get a move on. I assume this is for atmosphere purposes only and that there is NOT an invisible timer on getting an optimal result, right?

Edit: Spoiler tagged just in case.

They're full of poo poo. What they really mean is there isn't much time before they get super impatient and crabby and they'll have to float around in their little hover-jars full of impotent frustration at the lobotomite's insistence on searching every drat nook and cranny.

There's no timer is what I'm getting at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Jerusalem posted:

Silly question, but in Old World Blues at the start, the Think Tank tells me I have to hurry because there isn't much time. While I've been looking around Big MT, they've spoken up a couple of times to remind me to get a move on. I assume this is for atmosphere purposes only and that there is NOT an invisible timer on getting an optimal result, right?

Edit: Spoiler tagged just in case.

Nah, it's fine, take your time.
I took ages to resolve the main storyline and nothing indicated that I got a worse result because of that.

E;fb.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I would just like to take this opportunity to say that hidden timers in video games are the most ridiculous game mechanic ever thought up. Either you allow the player to move at their own pace and explore the game world you build for them or you stick a loving timer in the corner so they know that time is an integral part of the challenge.

/rant.

To stay on topic:

Does anyone play with no companions? I must admit that the thought has crossed my mind. More so for when I do a hard/hardcore run then with my current game. Alternatively, if you always play with companions, do you always use the same ones or rotate them?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I started whoring out a new character for the GRA cheevos and I'm p much running along, w/out companions*, blowing away any one I please and having a blast.

*Raul and ED-E are actually waiting where I found them for the perks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thanks for the responses, that's a relief. I'm having too much fun to want to rush through anything in Big MT.

With games like these I normally start off wanting to do it all myself and taking a companion along grumpily. Then I get used to them and stick with a set team and can't really imagine playing any other way. Then after awhile I realize I should probably go pick up the others and give them a run to at least see their story. Then I usually default back to my normal team, but look out for areas where it seems like it would be better to solo things. For example, I made a point of leaving my companions behind while I investigated Vault 34 solo - it just felt right to do it that way.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Dush posted:

They're full of poo poo. What they really mean is there isn't much time before they get super impatient and crabby and they'll have to float around in their little hover-jars full of impotent frustration at the lobotomite's insistence on searching every drat nook and cranny.

There's no timer is what I'm getting at

Let me put it this way: I entered the Big MT at level 17 (I think?), and managed to reach level 26 before even bothering to do the main quest. I've spent like 10-12 hour there. That's twice as long as most full-price games these days. If there was a timer, it's set years in the future.

(Anyway, I really really really should stop obsessively looting every container. They only contain something interesting like 0.01% of the time)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They've been waiting 200 years. They can wait a bit more while I look for all the chips.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
This is going to sound really stupid: But where the gently caress do I get a shovel? I've seen one a few times but it's one of those items you can't pick up, and I want to go graverobbing.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Ddraig posted:

This is going to sound really stupid: But where the gently caress do I get a shovel? I've seen one a few times but it's one of those items you can't pick up, and I want to go graverobbing.

You should be able to buy one in the Goodsprings store. Possibly other places as well.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Ddraig posted:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Shovel_(Fallout:_New_Vegas)

I had to go looking for one myself, once the shovel just disappeared from my inventory.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
There's quite a few lying around; there's one in Goodsprings where you fight the geckos.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Is there any reason at all for getting the Courier's Stash DLC?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ymgve posted:

Not really

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Man, Vault 34 was brutal. I had full compliment of ammo, rad-x and rad-aways and when i get to the armory at the ends my rad suit was completely broken, had a red RAD icon flashing down on my hud, barely able to carry myself and with a lead pipe on my hand because i threw everything else on that armored security officers (including mines and grenades). It was an awesome experience because i missed Vault 34 during my first playthrough.

Also i found out that, if you don't have a rebreather, one shot of Turbo combined with Buffout can help with your breath. Sadly, hardcore doesn't seem to care about consequences about swimming in full armor while being :catdrugs: as gently caress.

Whitey Snipes
Nov 30, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What mattered is that he heard.

Which mod is this? It looks much nicer than Fellout but there are a couple that simulate weather and I don't want to work my way through all of them.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Xik posted:

Does anyone play with no companions? I must admit that the thought has crossed my mind. More so for when I do a hard/hardcore run then with my current game. Alternatively, if you always play with companions, do you always use the same ones or rotate them?
Except for Tactics, I've never played a Fallout game with companions.
I think it's because when I first played Fallout 2, I didn't know companions were A Thing. I got it in my head that the Fallout series was about one wasteland savior doing all these things, and the endings always talk about him in the singular, or sorta vaguely allude to allies, so I never really warmed up to using companions in the other games.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
I'm way too much of an OCD pack-rat that I could afford playing without the extra ~400 pounds ED-E and another companion give me :negative:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I can't play these games without the Sprint Mod. I really can't believe I beat them so many times crawling across the wasteland at the default speed.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Is there any way to download the DLC data files from Steam without first having New Vegas installed?

I live in a rural area so I have a ridiculously low bandwidth limit due to the ISPs available to me. I was hoping to download the DLC at the office today, stick the files on my zip drive, and take them home. Unfortunately, Steam seems to insist on downloading & installing automatically (which requires New Vegas to be installed), and I don't want to risk being chewed-out by IT and/or my manager if I torrent the files. :ohdear:

I've already purchased Lonesome Road and Honest Hearts through Steam, but if I download them at home they'll eat up 1/5th of my monthly limit.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

SpaceMost posted:

Except for Tactics, I've never played a Fallout game with companions.
I think it's because when I first played Fallout 2, I didn't know companions were A Thing. I got it in my head that the Fallout series was about one wasteland savior doing all these things, and the endings always talk about him in the singular, or sorta vaguely allude to allies, so I never really warmed up to using companions in the other games.

I haven't played 1 & 2 (they are on my todo list) so I'm not sure if they had companion specific story content/quest but that is probably the only thing I would be concerned about missing if I went no companions.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Fallout 2 I got Marcus and Sulik simply to use them as pack mules, but in New Vegas I just recruited them all and sent them to the Lucky 38. Having them around feels too much like having the computer play the game for me.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

SpaceMost posted:

Is there any way to download the DLC data files from Steam without first having New Vegas installed?

I live in a rural area so I have a ridiculously low bandwidth limit due to the ISPs available to me. I was hoping to download the DLC at the office today, stick the files on my zip drive, and take them home. Unfortunately, Steam seems to insist on downloading & installing automatically (which requires New Vegas to be installed), and I don't want to risk being chewed-out by IT and/or my manager if I torrent the files. :ohdear:

I've already purchased Lonesome Road and Honest Hearts through Steam, but if I download them at home they'll eat up 1/5th of my monthly limit.

The only option is getting someone to zip up the DLC for you. It borders on :filez: but is the only solution.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I can't play the game without companions. It just feels incredibly depressing to wander around, alone. The problem is (or was) that they had infinite ammo and i solved it with a mod. I used to park Boone (even after Weaker Boone mod) because he pretty much alone killed everything in sight before i can fire a shot. Now he just have his machete and i'll hand him some 5.56 rounds if i am against something very powerful like Cazadors. It really adds some challenge and depth for me: "Ok Boone, here is our last clip, make it count."

Companions with ranged weapons burn ammo like there is no tomorrow. It took maybe 10 seconds for Cass to fire 70 odd rounds with a Lever Action Shotgun and those things took hours to collect/buy/craft. Even ED-E fires all its Energy Cells at some barkscorpion and acts as floating pack mule for the rest of the trip (though he is more conservative/efficient than, say, Boone).

I like rotating them out but Cass and Arcade are favorites, with Veronica in close second. Raul and Lily usually sit back and gather dust though.

Though i can't bear to send them to Lucky 38 because that place is creepy as gently caress. I always send them to their hometowns because i care about pixels and don't want them sitting in a dark and haunted ghost hotel alright :colbert:.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Xik posted:

I usually start with companions because I need/want the extra storage space, but then, usually around the time that I start getting involved in the main plot, I drop them. First, I really hate the dumb mechanic that forces me to either personally tell my followers to wait outside House's penthouse or Caesar's tent, and second, I hate that when the game does it automatically for me, it also doesn't automatically have them rejoin my party. Third, without any mods companions can't follow you to the DLC areas, and once you move into the Sink you can't bring companions there either (again, unless you're using mods). So really I find that they're more of a nuisance than anything, once you've progressed the game far enough. There's also the fact that things like Veronica's and Boone's quest triggers are really easy to miss or blow by or outright gently caress up, the fact that companions often make it difficult if not impossible to sneak, and the fact that most of the companion perks (Veronica, Cass, Arcade, Lily) aren't that great. Once I did all their quests and got the achievement for recruiting them all, I tend to only grab ED-E if I'm in need of storage space at the start of the game, or Raul if I'm getting tired of how quickly my weapons degrade from all the special ammo.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

SpaceMost posted:

Since it sounds like you already have downloaded the full game through steam and you just want to download the DLC you could do it this way:

1. Go to your Steam installation eg:
    code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam
  2. Copy over everything apart from the "steamapps" folder into a folder on your USB device. eg:
    code:
    E:\Steam
  3. Create an empty "steamapps" folder within that directory on your USB device
  4. Within the steamapps directory create an empty folder called "common"
  5. Then copy over the fallout new vegas folder from you Steam installation to the common folder on your USB device.
    So from here:
    code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas
    to
    code:
    E:\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas
  6. At your work run "Steam.exe" from your USB device and once you purchase the DLC it will update Fallout with the DLC files.
  7. Once you get home delete the "fallout new vegas" folder on your home machine and copy over the one from your USB device.

Make sure to create backups of everything before you start messing with your Steam install if you have a limited cap in case poo poo goes wrong.

Some things to note:

Once you purchased the DLC I don't think you can use steam to launch the game unless it has acquired the DLC files so make sure you can get the content somehow once you buy it.

You should probably uninstall Steam from your work machine if you have installed it when you go to run it off your USB device, unless you specifically want to do the copying to and from your work machine like you did on your home machine.

If steam fails to run, the answer is always to delete the "ClientRegistry.blob" file.

Saiko Kila
Aug 8, 2009

These were supposed to be peaceful negotiations! We brought only nukes!

HUMANZ. SO GULLIBLE.

Kharmakazy posted:

My bad. I was working from memory. Haven't actually seen any remnants power armor in game yet. Hell... I have over 100 hours in and I've yet to find that drat alien crash.

In-game characters don't know better. I've found the remnant helmet in some random cave, and the brotherhood power armor on some dead paladin near the artillery range, and then recruited Veronica to use them (because apart from not having the training I'm a light armor type, and she was the only recruitable character I've found by then). Since then she visited the BoS bunker, NCR camps and exactly no one there had any issues with her suit. Which is kinda strange, given that about every drat faction does have issues with your clothing style.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I considered an AUDITORE CAPE type effect for the Remnants Armor but then realized that players would be sad.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 6, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

rope kid posted:

I considered a AUDITORE CAPE type effect for the Remnants Armor but then realized that players would be sad.

...from you omitting it because that sounds awesome :qq:

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Burning Mustache posted:

I'm way too much of an OCD pack-rat that I could afford playing without the extra ~400 pounds ED-E and another companion give me :negative:

This is how I started, but then I found out that if I start off letting myself be that much of a compulsive hoarder I'm gonna be hosed when someone steps on a stray grenade trap and leaves me stranded in the middle of nowhere with 250 extra pounds of precious, precious vendor trash.

ED-E's pretty generally handy to have around but yeah you're basically never successfully sneaking again.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 6, 2011

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

ymgve posted:

(Anyway, I really really really should stop obsessively looting every container. They only contain something interesting like 0.01% of the time)

That feeling when you go out of your way to check a container and inside you find the almighty ~* Finance Clipboard *~

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

My main problem is that I bring way too much ammo with me. Both my companions' inventories are filled with various calibers and about 75% of my weight is ammunition. Probably should stay away from ammo guzzlers like miniguns and assault rifles and stick with high damage per shot weapons like rifles instead. Even then though, rounds for the Anti-Material Rifle are like half a pound each.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I loot nothing but finance clipboards. Going to open me a big 4 wasteland accounting firm once Caesar's dealt with.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

rope kid posted:

I considered an AUDITORE CAPE type effect for the Remnants Armor but then realized that players would be sad.
Why do you think this would make me sad? Why?

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

brozozo posted:

Why do you think this would make me sad? Why?

Rope Kid's referring to the cape from AC2 that makes everybody hate you. Not actually putting a cape on the armor.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

ymgve posted:

Armored Vault 13 jumpsuit. :hellyeah:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dush posted:

Rope Kid's referring to the cape from AC2 that makes everybody hate you. Not actually putting a cape on the armor.

I know. I now really want an armor that makes everyone hate and fear me.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Is the chance to find a star cap when using a sunset sarsaparilla affected by luck?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Is it a bug that the woman in the New Vegas vault hotel wont accept the vault suit the doc gives you at the beginning of the game?

ymgve posted:

The only option is getting someone to zip up the DLC for you. It borders on :filez: but is the only solution.
Does it still count as :filez: if you're downloading/transferring content you've already paid for?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

...from you omitting it because that sounds awesome :qq:

From the Assassin's Creed 2 wiki:

"Description: While wearing this cape outside of Monteriggioni, you are automatically Notorious, and lowering your notoriety becomes impossible (though, heralds will not mention you in their announcements). When you remove the cape, your notoriety returns to its previous level."

:stare: Someone mod this in, stat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Xik posted:

I haven't played 1 & 2 (they are on my todo list) so I'm not sure if they had companion specific story content/quest but that is probably the only thing I would be concerned about missing if I went no companions.

Not really, no. Fallout 2 has some (usually unmarked) quests requiring certain companions, but they tend to be largely pointless, obscure, or both. You can find an old friend of Lenny's, help Cassidy file a grievance with the law (not a metaphor for violence), or take Marcus to a doctor. The closest to a New Vegas style companion quest is the one where you reconcile Vic with his estranged daughter, and I don't think Vic acknowledges the quest in any way (I ditched him for Cassidy at that point).