Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

OldMemes posted:

For the whole "wreck the dam" thing, I guess there would be implications in doing that in the post game content before that was scrapped?

Mr. New Vegas, some named NPCs, random wastelanders and Secrutitrons all have unused dialogue for each of the four possible outcomes of the battle for the dam that's apparently in the game files.

Check this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Hey I'm having a problem with containers, anyone ever experienced this? In some indoor locations, when I try to open any container, it lags like a bitch and the audio loops for a few seconds. Trying to open the main menu also lags badly, even worse than interacting with containers. There's a buncha mods involved of course, I guess I can take it to the modding thread if nobody knows what's up.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Hey I'm having a problem with containers, anyone ever experienced this? In some indoor locations, when I try to open any container, it lags like a bitch and the audio loops for a few seconds. Trying to open the main menu also lags badly, even worse than interacting with containers. There's a buncha mods involved of course, I guess I can take it to the modding thread if nobody knows what's up.

How many hours do you have on your save?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Crimson Harvest posted:

Does this happen always, or after a certain ammount of time playing? If it's the latter try using the "pcb" console command when it happens.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

How many hours do you have on your save?

20-ish

Raygereio posted:

Does this happen always, or after a certain ammount of time playing? If it's the latter try using the "pcb" console command when it happens.

Only in some indoor cells. And only after maybe... well a long time playing. I tried out a mod that is supposed to purge cell buffers every 10 minutes but I don't think it works. Quitting and loading does. I kind of don't want to use the console so I can get the remaining achievements I have.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Supposedly, when your save file exceeds 10 megs, horrible horrible things happen memory-wise and the game becomes unstable. The Purge Cell Buffers console command (pcb) can sometimes alleviate this, by causing the game to "forget" areas that the player hasn't been to in a while.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

My save is only 5.9mb so IDK.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Supposedly, when your save file exceeds 10 megs, horrible horrible things happen memory-wise and the game becomes unstable. The Purge Cell Buffers console command (pcb) can sometimes alleviate this, by causing the game to "forget" areas that the player hasn't been to in a while.

I've had saves go beyond 10 mb without issue major crashing issues. What I've found that does help is to have as little as possible in your player inventory.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I noticed that one thing that would freeze my game almost every time was buying playing cards from merchants for caravan. Like, if I bought more than one at a time the system just poo poo itself. Crimson Caravan's merchant was especially bad about this.

To be fair though, this is on the PS3, so crashing the game isn't exactly a mean feat.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Buying bullet ingredients from the Gun Runners is the danger zone for me. As long as I don't buy too much at once it's OK at least.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

2house2fly posted:

Buying bullet ingredients from the Gun Runners is the danger zone for me. As long as I don't buy too much at once it's OK at least.
Gamebryo doesn't handle item values with less than 1 very well, and scripts that trigger unpacking components for each instance of the item fare even more poorly.

The items really should be sold in a few packs instead of dozens, and unpack in lots of hundreds.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Gamebryo doesn't handle item values with less than 1 very well, and scripts that trigger unpacking components for each instance of the item fare even more poorly.

The items really should be sold in a few packs instead of dozens, and unpack in lots of hundreds.

I dunno, I bought a shitload of lead and gunpowder in my first run, and I don't remember it being crashy. However, in my explosives run, the last part of it was pretty drat crash-happy and I didn't touch anything that had less of a value than 1.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
lead and gunpowder don't seem to be the issue, for some reason primers are a big goddamn deal though. If gun-runners ever says it has more than 1 pack of primers I never trust it - select one and pay for it and the others disappear with no crashing - try and buy all of them though and I crash to desktop.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Fast traveling in Big MT is a frequent cause of crashes for me. I've also got a weird glitch from installing the Mission Mojave mod, any character with dark or tanned skin is now whiter than Wonderbread. If I take the mod off, the game crashes when I highlight modded weapons. I'm near the end of the main quest so whatever.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Btw with the Hardcore achievement, if I accidentally open/enter anything in the console, do I just have to revert to an earlier save or does it blackmark my playthrough.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'm sure all you have to do is save and then quit, it only disables achievements for that play session.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Pretty sure opening the console at all stops you getting the hardcore achievement on that particular run, I've done several playthroughs with it enabled and never got the achievement.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

Fast traveling in Big MT is a frequent cause of crashes for me. I've also got a weird glitch from installing the Mission Mojave mod, any character with dark or tanned skin is now whiter than Wonderbread. If I take the mod off, the game crashes when I highlight modded weapons. I'm near the end of the main quest so whatever.

Sounds like you need to run Archive Invalidation in FOMM. If you've already done it, then uncheck the box and recheck it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So I finally managed to beat the game on Hardcore and get the achievement! :dance:

Went with Yes Man since it was the quickest option, as I was getting burnt out on my current run and didn't feel like putting up with anyone's bullshit. It was amazingly satisfying to say no when asked to complete a quest and not be told "But thou must!" or just straight up murder an entire faction. I wiped out the BoS because gently caress those guys, helped the Boomers because B-29 Bombers rule, and chose to ignore everyone else, oh and I killed Caesar because gently caress the Legion. I didn't need extra help, as my Tri-Beam Laser Rifle cut through Legion and NCR alike, since I was using a high crit build. My run was kind of a rushed/fail run of sorts. Killed the Think Tank when diplomacy failed, the LAER cut through them like cheese paper. Lead the Tribals out of Zion, and I skipped Lonesome Road and Dead Money. Well, I finished Lonesome Road and used mods to skip Dead Money but had to revert to a save before them due to mod fuckery and decided, "gently caress it, I've got enough weapons and ammo to plow through the rest of the game. I don't feel like slogging through those two again." Also, I feel kinda bad about getting Chris Haversam to sabatoge the rockets just for the lulz, how was I supposed to know Novac would be irradiated?

Hardcore mode is annoying! It was fun in the beginning and was more "realistic," but it quickly got on my nerves. I had all the perks that increased carrying capacity and still had inventory management problems. I think the needs meters were bugged as well, since I never had to worry about food or sleep, water was the biggest annoyance to the point where I simply set Purified Water to a hotkey and pushed it when the message came up. Oh, and crippled limbs was a big pain the in rear end too, as if I didn't have to worry about ammo weight, now I've got to lug these heavy bags around. It later became a non-issue once I got the Adamantium Skeleton, but even with that I still had to lug the bags around just in case. I don't plan on touching Hardcore Mode anytime soon now that I completed my mission of getting the Achievement. What a great game New Vegas is though!

Have a Pre-Dam Battle screenshot!

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 18, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Starhawk64 posted:

Oh, and crippled limbs was a big pain the in rear end too, as if I didn't have to worry about ammo weight, now I've got to lug these heavy bags around. It later became a non-issue once I got the Adamantium Skeleton, but even with that I still had to lug the bags around just in case.
Hydra and healing poultices weigh nothing/next to nothing.

Hardcore is good for teaching you that food and water actually make for really good healing once you get your survival up.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Hydra and healing poultices weigh nothing/next to nothing.

Hardcore is good for teaching you that food and water actually make for really good healing once you get your survival up.

My character was snacking on Blood Sausages whenever healing was needed, I'm very aware of this. Them's Good Eating is a great perk.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I loved my Hardcore Cannibal run. I never needed any food, I had piles of corpses to snack on. Plus of course the end game was to munch on every power player in the Mojave.

House: Why are you doing this?

Me: I don't know but I bet you taste like beef jerky.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
On an energy weapons run in hardcore mode, both Pack Rat and Vigilant Recycler are drat near necessary. Microfusion cells are ridiculously heavy otherwise. It's worth it by how overpowered it is, though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Has anybody tried playing an explosives-heavy character in hardcore, seems like hauling all those darn rockets and whatnots would get really tiresome really fast, even more so than fusion cells.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

steinrokkan posted:

Has anybody tried playing an explosives-heavy character in hardcore, seems like hauling all those darn rockets and whatnots would get really tiresome really fast, even more so than fusion cells.

There's a bug with companions you can abuse - companions don't get encumbered (they just can't carry over their weight limit) but because ammo only has weight in hardcore mode it seems to be applied after you give the ammo to them. Of course then they're over their weight limit so you can't give them anything more until you get them under their weight limit, but you can carry essentially unlimited amounts of explosives this way as long as you take all the explosives back before giving them something else you want them to carry (like more explosives).

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I feel like a prize idiot because I've been noticing that bug but always just figured "wow, I gave them the exact right amount of ammo to not encumber them!"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I'm (for the moment at least) a software engineer, I spend a lot of my time characterising bugs. Don't feel stupid

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

I usually do that as a hybrid with melee in hardcore. Take Annabelle and use missles to soften up targets and Knock-Knock through the rest. But the big boom is saved for big nasties like Deathclaws and Legion hit squads.

I just started using increased wasteland spawns and am really enjoying how much more fighting is going on.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Something that's been bugging me about the Fallout Universe: Did America's culture really stagnate that much that no new music past the fifties was made? Not that there's anything wrong with 50s music, I just think it's kinda weird that there's basically no new material past 1959. Even if Pre-War America was culturally stuck in the 1950s there would still be new material and evolution of that particular style of music. Something like Caravan Palace maybe. I understand it's easier to license out old music rather than make new ones that fit the universe's style, but come on! Also, what about the rest of the world? Did the other countries stay stuck in the 50s culturally as well?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The original Fallouts had a 50's song as the theme music, and a "future of the 1950's" aesthetic. The "Nothing happened since the 1950's" thing was a Fallout 3 thing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

Something that's been bugging me about the Fallout Universe: Did America's culture really stagnate that much that no new music past the fifties was made?

Three Dog, at least, says that the music he plays is all he was able to find in playable condition.

I kind of assumed that the War erased the more modern types of music storage - LP records are immune to EMP.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

We have stuff being released on vinyl, new, as in probably this week, and I'm guessing a country that crawled up its own rear end culturally in such spectacular fashion would be more prone to falling back to old methods of music than we are.

Alternate explanations include Fallout-world's recording industries made real-world music companies look like kittens and it's only old stuff that didn't get eaten by its own DRM :magical: and the perennial favorite "1950s music is thematically appropriate and we're going to look like idiots within the game's sales lifetime if we try to guess what '50s-inspired music will look like in another 60 years".

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
The music thing doesn't bother me too much. When I was a teenager, the only stations that played music more than 10 years old were labelled "classic rock" or "oldies". In 1986, you had to go looking for it if you wanted to hear music from 1976. The other days NPR was doing a pledge drive so I listened to the "alternative rock" station and heard 3 songs from over 20 years ago in a row, and it wasn't labelled as a "flashback" or "90s block", it seemed to be part of their regular rotation. That would have been unheard of 20 years ago.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, the old games featured some Ink Spots and Bing Crosby I think on the intro screens, and all of the actual music in-game was from Mark Morgan. That only oldies carried on after the war is from FO3.

If I remember correctly, there were some original songs more fitting the wasteland, that are floating around the game files but didn't get put onto the radio because reasons and bugs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The original games didn't really have the 50s theme at all, there was a distinct taste of retro Americana present throughout them, but it was filtered through the more grungy 90s sensibilities that dominated the rest of the setting.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
There's diegetic music in FNV that's not from the 30s-50s. It's not stated if the cowboy songs from Mojave Music Radio is pre or post war. Then you have living musicians like the Lone Wanderer.

Aside, Goddamn is Caesar petty as gently caress. The man will order you killed if you bother him from his migraine nap. Dude has no sense of proportionality.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always felt that two major things contributed to the Fallout universe looking the way it did; failure to develop the transistor and rock and roll never catching on.

Transistor is obvious because there are tubes everywhere, and its mentioned that there are micro tubes in stuff like the pipboy and other small electronics. I know fallout 1 the intro for the Corvega says "All analog! No electronics!" which I think was that without the transistor, electronics were faulty and not very good.

Rock & Roll is the cultural side of things. Oh yea, people in the 60s and 70s still listened to Bing Crosby, Rat Pack and other stuff you hear in the fallout universe, but Rock created the idea of Youth Culture, which pretty much didn't exist in a meaningful way until the 50s. Not that teenagers didn't do anything in previous decades, but it was more emulating what adults did, rather than having their own unique culture. Maybe Elvis never appeared on Ed Sullivan, so he never made it big, and ended up as a novelty act in Vegas (that explains the Kings school of impersonation). I also think McCarthyism was a lot more successful than it was on the real world. The whole entertainment industry could have been decimated by blacklisting, and without more progressive and liberal entertainment, things pretty much never evolved out of a 50s sensibility. Also why TVs are actually fairly rare and still really basic, because it never really took off as major entertainment.

All this is pointless because the reason it looks like that is because that's how the Fallout world looks. Its like why does everyone in Star Wars wear kimonos and live in art deco buildings, because the people who designed it decided that's the look of it.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

twistedmentat posted:

Its like why does everyone in Star Wars prequels wear kimonos and live in art deco buildings, because the people who designed it decided that's the look of it.

And because the people who designed it were hacks lead by the lord of the hacks himself George Lucas?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Caufman posted:

There's diegetic music in FNV that's not from the 30s-50s. It's not stated if the cowboy songs from Mojave Music Radio is pre or post war. Then you have living musicians like the Lone Wanderer.

Aside, Goddamn is Caesar petty as gently caress. The man will order you killed if you bother him from his migraine nap. Dude has no sense of proportionality.

Hey man, I've had migraines before and if someone woke me up from a migraine nap and I had the means, heads would loving roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's a bug with companions you can abuse - companions don't get encumbered (they just can't carry over their weight limit) but because ammo only has weight in hardcore mode it seems to be applied after you give the ammo to them. Of course then they're over their weight limit so you can't give them anything more until you get them under their weight limit, but you can carry essentially unlimited amounts of explosives this way as long as you take all the explosives back before giving them something else you want them to carry (like more explosives).

player.modav carryweight 9999

If you are going to do all this roundabout bug abusing craziness just console in higher carryweight on yourself and ease your burdens.