Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Bloodbath posted:

Hey guys. So after frustration with the PS3 version I'm currently downloading NV Ultimate on Steam and really excited to play :) And use mods! I was just wondering if there is a recommended mod pack? I looked in the mod thread but that seems to be more for creating them, and there's an overwhelming list there.

I don't want to change the game too radically, but anything that can make it more immersive/deep would be great. I'd love to experience a more 'complete' Fallout experience (I don't really know what I mean by that but I hope it makes sense..)

I'm sorry as I'm sure this sort of question has been asked a thousand times, but as with Skyrim, I find all of this mod stuff very overhelming.

This is a divisive question but I think we can all agree to use jsawyer.esp, regardless of taste. I would also suggest a good house mod or two, I recommend Lombard Station, a goon made house. I wouldn't do without CASM either. CASM replaces the save system, as the default one is very buggy and over time can actually nuke your save entirely, which has actually happened to me before.

Definitely get NVAC (New Vegas Anti-Crash), it's something you can just install and forget about.

Those are the basics. If you want to get more involved with it I suggest reading this wonderful post by user SplitSoul. Basically every mod he posts about is awesome.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

closeted republican posted:

If there's one thing I've learned from my pistol-only run so far, it's that hollow point bullets not only expand, they expand to the point where they can cause someone to EXPLODE in one hit. :stare:

Granted, it's with Bloody Mess, but still.

Actually what politicians think about bullets.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just played through OWB again. I forgot how sad Mobius' talk is at the end when you ask him why he does what he does. He remembers being friends, but still had to stop them :(. I couldn't bring myself to kill them this time, Cazadors and all.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Feats of Strength posted:

RIP Caesar, He was the peoples princess x

I went in with my last character wearing Vera's dress on every single drug I had. I figured it'd be a challenge and a fun screw you to the guy.

Then I put a frag mine under his body for actual revenge.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is a divisive question but I think we can all agree to use jsawyer.esp, regardless of taste. I would also suggest a good house mod or two, I recommend Lombard Station, a goon made house. I wouldn't do without CASM either. CASM replaces the save system, as the default one is very buggy and over time can actually nuke your save entirely, which has actually happened to me before.

Definitely get NVAC (New Vegas Anti-Crash), it's something you can just install and forget about.

Those are the basics. If you want to get more involved with it I suggest reading this wonderful post by user SplitSoul. Basically every mod he posts about is awesome.

Awesome, thank you. I am currently downloading all of those mods! My New Vegas download still has another hour so I figured I'd get it all prepped.

Do I just drag and drop these into a folder or is there some sort of 'Curse' type thing where the addons are controlled?

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Feats of Strength posted:

RIP Caesar, He was the peoples princess x

Post your dead Caesar pix.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

(Yes, I got both relevant challenges)

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

itsjustdrew posted:

Seeing that picture really makes me want to play with a minigun or LMG and just play the whole game praying and spraying

It is worth doing once. I prefer LMG since with the mod for ammo, you will be putting round after round of AP into bad guys and never need to reload, and 5.56mm is available everywhere.

For an easy Minigun, just kill the Nightkin in Novac, and you are set. It needs repair though, but Old Lady Gibson is just down the road a short way.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Bloodbath posted:

Awesome, thank you. I am currently downloading all of those mods! My New Vegas download still has another hour so I figured I'd get it all prepped.

Do I just drag and drop these into a folder or is there some sort of 'Curse' type thing where the addons are controlled?

I use Fallout Mod Manager personally, I guess there's a few other programs you can use. Fallout Mod Manager crashes when I try to do certain things, but it's not a big deal to just start it up again.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Glad to see House-chat lives on. I agree with the one guy who mentioned that the 'House kills the Kings indiscriminately' ending is very dissonant with the rest of his plans; even if he was moving beyond the 'fuel the economy with a never-ending supply of tourists and other rubes' phase of his plan, he never seemed to take the NCR trying to kill him terribly personally. I mean, he even chastises you if you kill Caesar, because it makes him have to expend mental energy working out the ramifications. Same with the Primm ending; it's just weirdly petty. Even with all that he's still the best, though :)

Excelzior posted:

If you're not wearing Joshua Graham's armor at all times I don't even want to know you.

The trouble is that Graham's armor is just so ridiculously better than every other armor in the game, especially when you factor in the light armor perks (medium and heavy armors get nothing) and the fact that with Jury Rigging you'll never run out of things to repair it with (good luck finding a way to repair your power armor in literally any of the DLCs).

Aesthetically though, I like the Boomers' outfit best; pretty sure I rocked the officer's hat you can get from them for the last twenty hours of one playthrough.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Vault 34 Security Armor is the best light armor in the base game, and it has a neat bonus in that its low value makes it incredibly cheap to repair. Armors added by the DLCs kind of make it irrelevant though, and of course getting it means wading into Vault 34 which is a barrier to low-level characters.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I like the Courier Duster's look, shame it comes so late.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

The trouble is that Graham's armor is just so ridiculously better than every other armor in the game

Plus Graham's got rad snakeskin boots. Sadly, you need to be pretty far to either extreme on the badass-dandy continuum to pull those off in real life.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
What do you have to do to get Ulysses in Caesar's tent? Beat Lonesome Road first?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cheston posted:

What do you have to do to get Ulysses in Caesar's tent? Beat Lonesome Road first?
Instal a mod that adds him as a companion. That or console magic.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

posh spaz posted:

Plus Graham's got rad snakeskin boots. Sadly, you need to be pretty far to either extreme on the badass-dandy continuum to pull those off in real life.

I've got plans to cosplay Joshua Graham, which is going to be an interesting feat. Wrapping mask, burn makeup, plenty of modified costume pieces, and getting my hands on a decent Colt Commander replica that I can heavily customize. It would be even better to keep A Light Shining In Darkness a firing gas blowback airsoft pistol that I can use during roleplay-heavy games like Wasteland.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

I've got plans to cosplay Joshua Graham, which is going to be an interesting feat. Wrapping mask, burn makeup, plenty of modified costume pieces, and getting my hands on a decent Colt Commander replica that I can heavily customize. It would be even better to keep A Light Shining In Darkness a firing gas blowback airsoft pistol that I can use during roleplay-heavy games like Wasteland.

Oh man, I'd like to see pictures of that. I'm not sure what Wasteland is. Is that like a LARP thing? I really know nothing about that stuff.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

posh spaz posted:

Oh man, I'd like to see pictures of that. I'm not sure what Wasteland is. Is that like a LARP thing? I really know nothing about that stuff.

Wasteland is pretty much the game that came out before Fallout and what it's based off of, a second one is coming out soonish. It's also a LARP thing I think.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Byzantine posted:

I like the Courier Duster's look, shame it comes so late.

I tried to increase Ulysses' Duster's DT with the Signature Armor mod, but since I had already hit max level, there weren't enough skill points going in to really customize it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mr E posted:

Wasteland is pretty much the game that came out before Fallout and what it's based off of, a second one is coming out soonish. It's also a LARP thing I think.

Wasteland is a Fallout-themed airsoft roleplay event run by Mindgame Productions every November in Ocala, Florida. It's much heavier on roleplaying, negotiating, and having fun than "playing properly", though it still follows all of the usual airsoft rules. It's basically the game where you get to relax, wear something weird, and go out shooting. People even make replica power armor that has its own unique rules for play (only the large center plate on the front and back can be shot for a kill, but the wearer has to fight in the open without hiding the plate). There's also a trade system, using bottle caps for money (with custom Nuka Cola caps representing 10 regular caps and acting as a collectible from the event) and having to "buy" your full auto weapons.

It's a very neat event for anyone who likes airsoft, LARP, and Fallout.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Wasteland is a Fallout-themed airsoft roleplay event run by Mindgame Productions every November in Ocala, Florida. It's much heavier on roleplaying, negotiating, and having fun than "playing properly", though it still follows all of the usual airsoft rules. It's basically the game where you get to relax, wear something weird, and go out shooting. People even make replica power armor that has its own unique rules for play (only the large center plate on the front and back can be shot for a kill, but the wearer has to fight in the open without hiding the plate). There's also a trade system, using bottle caps for money (with custom Nuka Cola caps representing 10 regular caps and acting as a collectible from the event) and having to "buy" your full auto weapons.

It's a very neat event for anyone who likes airsoft, LARP, and Fallout.

Well that seems pretty cool.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Post your dead Caesar pix.

:woof:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So what's the mod you want to use to get all the awesome cinematic screenshots?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

xthetenth posted:

(Yes, I got both relevant challenges)

Okay, gotta ask where that hair mod comes from, as I've been looking for a good simple no-bullshit ponytail for ages.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I can play the game for like 30 hours before even reaching Freeside. You are in a pretty late-game area.

Weird. I was just pursuing the main plot and ended up there. I negotiated a cease-fire between the NCR and the Khans, and one of them gave me Benny's lighter.

That may explain why I keep getting my poo poo pushed in by gangs of four Fiends armed with laser rifles, though. (Also, Caesar keeps sending ridiculously well-armed assassins after me, which isn't helping.)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

Okay, gotta ask where that hair mod comes from, as I've been looking for a good simple no-bullshit ponytail for ages.

Pretty sure it's this one. No idea how it plays with other mods that add hair, I'm probably lucky all I wanted was that one hairstyle.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Weird. I was just pursuing the main plot and ended up there. I negotiated a cease-fire between the NCR and the Khans, and one of them gave me Benny's lighter.

That may explain why I keep getting my poo poo pushed in by gangs of four Fiends armed with laser rifles, though. (Also, Caesar keeps sending ridiculously well-armed assassins after me, which isn't helping.)

It's not really a late game area, but many of the areas around it can spawn fairly leveled enemies.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Wanderer posted:

To be honest, if you just follow the main quest and don't do sidequests and stuff, even if you follow the 'right' route, you'll reach New Vegas way before you're really equipped to take it on.

It's fun as heck to run to New Vegas still in your Vault clothes though, first thing.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

KittyEmpress posted:

It's fun as heck to run to New Vegas still in your Vault clothes though, first thing.

That's my favorite thing to do. Go straight to Honest Hearts to pick up the sweet gear within.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Reiterating that Vegas is perfectly doable at Level 2, and on my very first playthrough I literally just stealth-boyed past the quarry to get there. The Fiends might gently caress you up a bit but in Freeside and Vegas proper it's all just skill checks and talking to people, with no real combat beyond the weak chumps who try to fight you in the street with lead pipes and razor blades. I remember finishing G.I. Blues and gaining 2-3 levels at once.

The one area where the game fucks up a bit is by completely circumventing the part of the main quest where you trail Benny; even long after I'd killed him, the dialogue in Primm and Boulder City about looking for him stays completely unaltered.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

posh spaz posted:

That's my favorite thing to do. Go straight to Honest Hearts to pick up the sweet gear within.

Part of me prefers to run to Lonesome Road, since I can run in, grab some gear and then leave without having to finish it. I also like to imagine Ulysses going 'wait, where the gently caress are you going!?' after getting one little impotent rant at me.

But Honest Hearts has some of the best gear in the game.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

chitoryu12 posted:

So what's the mod you want to use to get all the awesome cinematic screenshots?

A mod that lets you turn on slow motion at will is handy, but for everything else I just use the following console commands

tfc 1 to free the camera and freeze everything in place. Use in third person view, so your character will appear.

tm to hide menu

fov to change the field of view as a makeshift zoom in/out

sucsm followed by a numerical value to slow down or speed up the free camera speed

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Wolfsheim posted:

Reiterating that Vegas is perfectly doable at Level 2, and on my very first playthrough I literally just stealth-boyed past the quarry to get there. The Fiends might gently caress you up a bit but in Freeside and Vegas proper it's all just skill checks and talking to people, with no real combat beyond the weak chumps who try to fight you in the street with lead pipes and razor blades. I remember finishing G.I. Blues and gaining 2-3 levels at once.

The one area where the game fucks up a bit is by completely circumventing the part of the main quest where you trail Benny; even long after I'd killed him, the dialogue in Primm and Boulder City about looking for him stays completely unaltered.
When I let him run off to Caesar the dialogue in Boulder City was the same but when I killed him it was gone. For Primm it stays the same no matter what though.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Don't mind me, just doin' a bit of pest control work in this here quarry.

Felt kinda bad killing the little baby deathclaws, though. I know they would have tried to rip my face off if given the chance, but still. For horrible man-eating mutant abominations, they were pretty cute and I kinda want one as a follower. :3:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I haven't played it, but it looks like there's a mod for that

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Oh my god yesss :neckbeard: Best sidekick. Now I just need a mod that lets me have Muggy from OWB as a companion and I'll have double best sidekicks.

fake edit: oh hell yes there is a mod for that too, sometimes I love Nexus.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

OH NO MAN posted:

Don't mind me, just doin' a bit of pest control work in this here quarry.

Felt kinda bad killing the little baby deathclaws, though. I know they would have tried to rip my face off if given the chance, but still. For horrible man-eating mutant abominations, they were pretty cute and I kinda want one as a follower. :3:

:jihad::hf::jihad:

An older screenshot before I got any mods beyond the AK and some other little things.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Wow, your character is Randy Savage.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Wanderer posted:

If you're sitting on a fair amount of Caps, the Gun Runner's Kiosk south of Freeside sells various types of Combat Armor. They can take a fair beating and are probably the best thing to grab before you get power armor or go tackle any of the DLC's for their armors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Mountain Lightning posted:

If you're sitting on a fair amount of Caps, the Gun Runner's Kiosk south of Freeside sells various types of Combat Armor. They can take a fair beating and are probably the best thing to grab before you get power armor or go tackle any of the DLC's for their armors.

Another thing you can do if you have some hollow point rounds is go to vault 34, which is north eastish I think from the NCR resort place. You can get the best vanilla light armor there.