Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think I used a Steam Community guide for that when I played it past year.

Edit, oh, new page. Might as well look it up then.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/22370/discussions/0/828937546147175081/

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

ShootaBoy posted:

I figure this is the place to ask if anyone has the ini edits for Fallout 3 that make it run on multicore machines?

The New Vegas Configator has options to add threading in for certain things as well as the usual bunch of graphical configuration stuff. You'd probably just have to google for manual INI edits though.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Been playing a bunch lately. I did one run where I ran straight to OWB at level 1; that was interesting.

Current run is a Live Off The Land run - using melee/explosives, and only using things I find, no buying stuff (though I make an exception for the implants). Caps are a lot less important and the early game gets quite nasty this way, it's pretty cool.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

theshim posted:

Been playing a bunch lately. I did one run where I ran straight to OWB at level 1; that was interesting.

Current run is a Live Off The Land run - using melee/explosives, and only using things I find, no buying stuff (though I make an exception for the implants). Caps are a lot less important and the early game gets quite nasty this way, it's pretty cool.

I always liked the idea of doing this during a survival run, just scrounging everything you find and living off of bloatfly sliders and wasteland tequilas, but even if you're scrounging you'll find more than enough stimpaks to stay healthy without bothering.

One thing that could've made survival more attractive is allowing it to break the caps, and getting 13 STR or 12 INT or something. As it is, any halfway optimized character won't benefit from the obscene bonuses it gives you because there's just not that much more to boost, nor a particularly incredible difference between having a stat at 8 or 10.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
When I do survival runs like that I usually make it so that it's perfectly okay to buy things...but selling anything at all is not allowed. It makes doings sidequests and such in the early game more important because taking caps off corpses and getting quest reward caps is pretty much the only way you're ever going to buy anything.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Zeron posted:

When I do survival runs like that I usually make it so that it's perfectly okay to buy things...but selling anything at all is not allowed. It makes doings sidequests and such in the early game more important because taking caps off corpses and getting quest reward caps is pretty much the only way you're ever going to buy anything.
Ooooooh, I like that idea. It preserves the scarcity that Live Off the Land runs lose after the first ten levels or so, doesn't lock you out of cool stuff (cough gun runners cough), and makes Fortune Finder an actually useful perk! I'm gonna give this a shot.

theshim fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 12, 2014

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
I know this isn't the modding thread, but I use a "Less Loot" mod that empties out almost all the first aid kits. It also makes it much harder to find ammo. Like you'll find 1-2 rounds in an ammo box, and maybe 5-7 on an NPC.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The only ammo I need are my fists. Unarmed runs are the best runs.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition is $6.79 on Steam until Tomorrow.

ActionHank
Nov 1, 2014

sitchelin posted:

The only ammo I need are my fists. Unarmed runs are the best runs.

this, 1000 times. there's nothing better than punching a deathclaw in the face

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I've not done a full unarmed run, but I'd imagine it'd be alot of fun with Bloody Mess. You punch people so hard that they EXPLODE. :black101:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I've played this game to the end 25-30 times and I've never done an unarmed run. I just envision chasing multiple enemies all over the place to finish an encounter. That's the way it was is FO 1&2, anyway.

I guess with ED-E and Boone they would help out with the ranged combat and you can concentrate on the punchin'.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Keith Atherton posted:

I've played this game to the end 25-30 times and I've never done an unarmed run. I just envision chasing multiple enemies all over the place to finish an encounter. That's the way it was is FO 1&2, anyway.

I guess with ED-E and Boone they would help out with the ranged combat and you can concentrate on the punchin'.

I made an unarmed run about halfway through. It never got old knocking people's heads right off their shoulders, but I did get tired of taking a few slugs while running into VATS range. I suppose I could have ran stealth, but... eh.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Forget stealth, Unarmed/Melee is all about stacking as much DT and drugs as possible and just letting the bullets bounce off you as you sprint to a guy and decapitate them and then move on to the next.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Zeron posted:

Forget stealth, Unarmed/Melee is all about stacking as much DT and drugs as possible and just letting the bullets bounce off you as you sprint to a guy and decapitate them and then move on to the next.

Unarmed/Melee is all about pairing it with Survival; having a fuckload of healing items on your body at all times and just wading through everything the enemy throws at you, taking it all in the face and not caring. Bonus points for using the perks that give you bonuses for light armor.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Well yeah, Survival and Logan's Run. The Survival perks that increase food healing duration or whatever also increase drug duration so if you stack all of them you end up with drugs that last like 15 minutes.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
A punchmaster death machine is pretty refreshing after my most recent one was a generic min-maxing guns Courier.

Here's a quick rundown of my current Courier, "Murderpunch"
-10 Endurance
-100 Unarmed
-Logan's Loophole
-Bloody Mess

The Drugged Up Fist of the North Star of the Mojave.

RolandIsNotOkay
Jun 7, 2014

Gynovore posted:

I made an unarmed run about halfway through. It never got old knocking people's heads right off their shoulders, but I did get tired of taking a few slugs while running into VATS range. I suppose I could have ran stealth, but... eh.

I did an unarmed run from Doc's to the caesars legion ending. It's impossible and or stupid to do without making use of the stealth system (fake edit: okay sure drugs can circumvent this) but once you learn some moves from people like veronica etc and pick up some perks it becomes ridiculously fun to walk up behind someone and send their head skyrocketing whilst their friend doesn't even care that his partner is now a two part corpse. Fisting General Oliver across the room with one charged knucklesammich has to be my personal favourite moment but you'll make your own.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Keith Atherton posted:

:hfive: ED-E and Boone, pro-squad. Music starts blarin', everything's dead at draw distance.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
I checked the first page for a list of core/essential mods, but I didn't see anything. I was thinking about running the Jesawyer mod, but I was wondering about other stuff people recommend? Don't worry about the game being ruined, I've already beaten it on every path on the PS3, but it'd be cool to play it with the new balance mod, and maybe looking a little sharper in the textures and that sort of thing. I'm not really interested in new quests or companions or anything like that.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Nails posted:

I checked the first page for a list of core/essential mods, but I didn't see anything.
New Vegas modding thread

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Nails posted:

I checked the first page for a list of core/essential mods, but I didn't see anything. I was thinking about running the Jesawyer mod, but I was wondering about other stuff people recommend? Don't worry about the game being ruined, I've already beaten it on every path on the PS3, but it'd be cool to play it with the new balance mod, and maybe looking a little sharper in the textures and that sort of thing. I'm not really interested in new quests or companions or anything like that.

I can't recommend Jsawyer enough. In my opinion it is a straight up improvement on the game. What you want is Jsawyer, a UI mod of some kind, and if your computer can handle it there's a ton of replacement textures out there. Despite what people may tell you, there are no good quest mods and no good companion mods.

Personally I also recommend Project Nevada. The coolest feature it adds is Bullet Time. You can press a button that makes you go into slo-mo mode while still draining your AP. I ended up using it more than VATS. It also has a feature that lets you press one button to throw a grenade, as opposed to equipping it via a menu first. You can turn off almost everything in Project Nevada, but those little touches add tremendously to the game.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I keep hearing glowing recommendations about JSawyer, and I can recommend it on that alone. I personally don't use it because of the carry weight tweaks (I tend to use Energy Weapons and/or Explosives, and they already have heavy ammo), but it seems like everything else about it is great.

A lot of quest and companion mods are more to the individual user's taste, but one I will not recommend under any circumstance is A World of Pain. Sure, the idea is nice, a lot of incidental locations to explore and kill stuff, but AWOP is so absolutely bloated and unbalanced that it's just generally not worth even looking at. I also hear Beyond Boulder Dome is completely terrible.

Project Brazil might be worth checking out when it's completed.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Truth be told I always cheat to raise my carry weight even especially when I'm using difficulty mods. I decided that in the end I was going to powergame by fast traveling back to my house a thousand times which sounded like not a lot of fun at all, so I decided gently caress it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The problem I've had with Project Nevada is that if you're on a slower system, it will bog the game down pretty bad.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I probably should do that. I hate playing inventory management, especially with the awful Pipboy menu screen. I also want to be able to decorate my house with various heavy objects without making a million trips, which is usually what I end up doing. I can never have enough ECP for my Laser RCW (or Gatling Laser).

I know that carry weight is to prevent breaking the economy, but you can do that anyways by beating Dead Money.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Keith Atherton posted:

I'd say carry some grenades or throwing spears.

Throwing a spear so hard it decapitates a dude as he's running away will never get old on my melee character.

In other news, I really need to do a DLC for some armor. I've been on a Legion murdering kick with boone, and some weird interaction with the abandoned brotherhood facility where i clicked on the door but decided to not go in took away all my armor. So now i'm naked since i can't wear the legion armor I have.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

I totally forgot about that thread, thanks!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Nasgate posted:

In other news, I really need to do a DLC for some armor. I've been on a Legion murdering kick with boone, and some weird interaction with the abandoned brotherhood facility where i clicked on the door but decided to not go in took away all my armor. So now i'm naked since i can't wear the legion armor I have.

You could pop into Lonesome Road - there's some good armor available at the start - then come back and actually finish the DLC later

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Truth be told I always cheat to raise my carry weight even especially when I'm using difficulty mods. I decided that in the end I was going to powergame by fast traveling back to my house a thousand times which sounded like not a lot of fun at all, so I decided gently caress it.

I'm kind of like this. I always found the wasteland a little too empty, so I crank up IWS and need the weight for ammo.

I've really come to like the Games Settings Tuner mod. I don't have much of a desire for most of what PN adds to the game, so the GST allows me to easily modify how a lot of the stats and other things work without either having to do the console or do some amalgam of different mods. I basically toss JSawyer on top for all it's in game changes and then modify the rest to how I feel like it should be.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
I like jsawyer's reduced carry weight, the newer Fallouts really become a grind for me when I'm purposely looting everything to drag back to a merchant. I'll load up on stuff I need for survival and leave anything else I find unless it's a better gun, better food etc. My last character I played with this in mind, making a low charisma, speech and barter but high survival gunslinger type. I can totally see how this would be a pain with Energy Weapons/Explosives characters, gun ammo is so light in comparison unless I'm using a Minigun or something.

Less inventory menus, more gunfights with the local savages :v:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Zeron posted:

Stacking DT and DR-boosting drugs is hilarious. You can easily hit 85 DR, 70 DT, and 630 HP, making you invincible to even a pack of Deathclaws. Even the most well-armed NPCs won't be able to put a dent in you.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Frankly posted:

I like jsawyer's reduced carry weight, the newer Fallouts really become a grind for me when I'm purposely looting everything to drag back to a merchant.

Whoa whoa, merchant? I'm hoarding most of it, at a certain point caps aren't really that helpful. So much hoarding. I only wish more homes let you display things easier.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I collect all sorts of useless knick knacks and interesting looking things.

I stuff it all in a container and never look at it again but damnit I know it's there. If I ever want to read that random note I found in some random building ever again it'll be there.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Frankly posted:

I like jsawyer's reduced carry weight, the newer Fallouts really become a grind for me when I'm purposely looting everything to drag back to a merchant. I'll load up on stuff I need for survival and leave anything else I find unless it's a better gun, better food etc. My last character I played with this in mind, making a low charisma, speech and barter but high survival gunslinger type. I can totally see how this would be a pain with Energy Weapons/Explosives characters, gun ammo is so light in comparison unless I'm using a Minigun or something.

Less inventory menus, more gunfights with the local savages :v:

My main problem in the vanilla game is all the poo poo in the "aid" section because I have high survival, but i never seem to have the poo poo i need for recipes. So I know I'll use it eventually, but I hate going back and forth to a home. I'm a wanderer.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Whoa whoa, merchant? I'm hoarding most of it, at a certain point caps aren't really that helpful. So much hoarding. I only wish more homes let you display things easier.

Of course, my bad! I never hoarded much in New Vegas, I did a bit in Skyrim though. I must of had at least the entire bottom floor of the initial starting house devoted to some sort of mixed Viking/Wizard/Cheese enthusiast's ball-pit of hoarded junk. When I tried the same in Fallout 3 stuff just phased through the floors or the game crashed and it wasn't the same :sigh:

Nasgate posted:

My main problem in the vanilla game is all the poo poo in the "aid" section because I have high survival, but i never seem to have the poo poo i need for recipes. So I know I'll use it eventually, but I hate going back and forth to a home. I'm a wanderer.

I will admit this has bothered the poo poo out of me, even with Salient Green from OWB. Next time I play I'm just going to have a post-it note of the most useful crafting recipes and ingredients next to my monitor. It's just a bit annoying trying to remember which stupid plant or whatever is either useless or used to make the useful stuff.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The best way to deal with that is to store Salient Green as soon as you make it and only take it out when you need to make some cooking ingredients or Battle Brew. It's only useful for crafting anyhow.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm thinking of doing a no bottlecaps run where I won't interact with any money mechanics (unless required to by a plot item, but I don't remember that happening very much in FNV). Normally I use guns and explosives with light armor and +crit chance everything. I'm pretty sure I'll use a melee weapon for this so that means heavy armor to cut down on stimpack useage since I won't be able to buy them in stores. I guess it also means picking Scrounger (which I usually never do) and of course Hand Loading (which I usually take anyway). I'm going to try to not take that one perk that heals you if you're carrying radiation around because then what's the point of the run.

No money includes Sierra Madre chips of course.

Any other tips?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Man sneaking around clearing out Nelson at night and sniping all the Legion dudes with Ratslayer and freeing the NCR captives without being detected is so drat satisfying. Plus no Legion reputation hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

closeted republican posted:

The best way to deal with that is to store Salient Green as soon as you make it and only take it out when you need to make some cooking ingredients or Battle Brew. It's only useful for crafting anyhow.
It's probably the best raw food item for healing and cures a decent amount of hunger.