Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You better loving figure it out and share it with the rest of the world, then, Mortimer.

post load order? :shobon:

try putting that ini fix in every ini you can find, the falloutdefault.ini or whatever, fallout.ini, anything in the documents folder, hell even inis for other games, try putting it there

edit: I think I used fallout configurator for that stuff, I also fixed it with Mod Organizer's ini thing, I think those stuck. Maybe with a mod? I'm just guessing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

No, I did that. The problem is that the mouse and keyboard controls have a perceptible delay, including when I release a key. My guy will keep going forward for a second at random. VSync is disabled in FOMM.

Use the Stutter Remover and OneTweak.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34832/

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40706/

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

By the time you get to house you're already insanely powerful beyond the wildest imaginings of any man and have more gold pieces than even a duke or prince. His offer of One Thousand FutureCoins is laughable at best and disgusting at worst. For his crimes against the courier, he is hereby sentenced to death dinner.

House Jerky tastes better with age. :unsmigghh:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Starhawk64 posted:

I'd be careful with Fallout Character Overhaul, not only did it turn every NPC in my game whiter than Wonderbread, it didn't play nice with GRA weapons either.

This is a common symptom of not following the install instructions properly when a mod alters or adds races, though.

Don't know how it hosed with GRA, it's not supposed to touch that.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
You know, this quote is even more depressing in Fallout than in Metro...

quote:

And now we use cartridges for currency, how morbid is that? If you think about it, one bullet is somebody's life. A hundred grams of tea cost five lives. A sausage... a mere trifle, fifteen lives. A nice leather jacket? It's your lucky day, it's on sale. Not three hundred, but just two hundred and fifty human lives

In the Fallout Universe, you have to adjust for inflation since even the most petty thug can endure a single bullet, so it costs you three times as many human lives for what they sell.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Suppressive fire would cause a monetary crisis.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

gyrobot posted:

In the Fallout Universe, you have to adjust for inflation since even the most petty thug can endure a single bullet, so it costs you three times as many human lives for what they sell.

1/3 as many :ssh:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Wish the game would crash less often on transitions but oh well, I'll settle for that when I use an assload of mods.

Now I just need a big iron to blow loving Big Iron out of my skull again.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Big Iron is one of the best songs, though.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i have big iron memorized and I sing it to myself sometimes

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Big Iron is a good song. Johnny Guitar is the annoying one that plays all the loving time. :argh:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah gently caress Jimmy Guitar

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i like lonestar. :shobon:

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Big Iron is good. It's A Sin To Tell A Lie is the one I always have to change the station for.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Conelrad loves to play bomb bomb the hydrogen bomb and my craaazy satellite girl over and over which may be an improvement?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
This is why I you should always install The Secret Stash if you're playing on PC.

Then you can get Volare, Veni Vidi Vici and Oh My Papa stuck in your head, too. :shepface:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Roobanguy posted:

Lonestar and Jingle Jangle are the best of the ones that play on the radio in the base game.

Edit: Heartaches by the Number is really good too.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 30, 2014

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Roobanguy posted:

This and "Let's Ride Into the Sunset Together"

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
It's my main issue with both fallout 3 and NV that the songs are way too catchy. After months of not playing either, I'd still find myself humming one or two of the songs. Not that they're bad, but when it gets stuck in your head for days on end it's irritating.

itsjustdrew fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 1, 2014

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

itsjustdrew posted:

It's my main issue with both fallout 3 and NV that the songs are way too catchy. After months of not playing either, I'd still find myself humming one or two of the songs. Not that they're bad, but when it gets stuck in your head for days on end it's irritating.

I hadn't played either game for 3 years when I caught myself singing Big Iron. I feel like the only way to get one out of your head is to get another in there.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

Nasgate posted:

I hadn't played either game for 3 years when I caught myself singing Big Iron. I feel like the only way to get one out of your head is to get another in there.

I remember reading online once 'your brain is like a internet browser, sometimes you need to shut some tabs or it will crash' and someone else added 'I can never find the tab that's playing that same song over and over'.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I played way too much of both F3 and FNV too quickly so after about a week I just turned the ambient music completely off, never used the radio and would just throw something on Pandora or Netflix half the time. It made the times you would catch random snippets of a song or news broadcast on a nearby radio while bartering with shopkeeps or talking to the King that much more immersive.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

everything is inferior to anything goes, still

forever

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Butcher Pete is objectively the best song

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Ugh, Mondays...

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I haven't played with the radio for so long that it's one of the random 25 pieces of combat music that gets stuck in my head instead.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Dude "Butcher Pete" seriously is a catchy song.

It's actually surprising how much more dangerous the wasteland becomes when you shut ambient music off, because then there isn't any combat music to tell you that you are currently being approached by an enemy. The silence also lends a lonely, solemn feeling to the world.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's actually surprising how much more dangerous the wasteland becomes when you shut ambient music off, because then there isn't any combat music to tell you that you are currently being approached by an enemy. The silence also lends a lonely, solemn feeling to the world.

I got used to the sound of maracas being my first warning there's something hostile nearby.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So I'm going through another FO3/NV binge, but I figured I might as well get some of the first two games under my belt before I play NV again. Still, I'm not sure if I really feel like playing both, and I've been told that you can just play FO2 and have a better isometric experience. Does that sound about right to Fallout veterans?

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So I'm going through another FO3/NV binge, but I figured I might as well get some of the first two games under my belt before I play NV again. Still, I'm not sure if I really feel like playing both, and I've been told that you can just play FO2 and have a better isometric experience. Does that sound about right to Fallout veterans?

I'd go with the original over FO2, personally.

Fereydun posted:

everything is inferior to anything goes, still

forever

♫ Let's go sunning, beneath the skies of blue~ ♫

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Fallout 2 went way too far on the ~WACKY~ side of things for my taste. It's almost a Family Guy episode with all the lazy references.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Fallout 2 is wacky but also insanely epic. It's a huge game though, so I'd recommend Fallout 1, which is a bit more compact, as well as being more tonally consistent if you're into that sort of thing.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Fallout 1 I find is a more cohesive and tight experience. Fallout 2 is also good but it kinda veers into "LOL WACKY POP CULTURE REFERENCE TIME!" territory sometimes.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Fallout 1 and 2 are seriously two of the best games ever, you should play both.

Fixit for fallout 1 - http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthread.php?194562 basically lets you play in windowed mode and all kinds of other good stuff (fixes, etc) and can be used as a "unofficial patch". Also has optional fan content that I avoid wholeheartedly.

Also found this android app but haven't had the chance to use it yet - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eltechs.erpg&hl=en

Fallout 2 I'm using this mod to do the same thing for 1 (play in windowed mode mostly) - http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthread.php?202265-Fallout-2-Restoration-Project-2-3-3-(Unofficial-Expansion)

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Byzantine posted:

Fallout 2 went way too far on the ~WACKY~ side of things for my taste. It's almost a Family Guy episode with all the lazy references.

The writing is really bad at times. But that was a different time - AAA Game of the Year level games came out from really small companies. Fallout 2 was developed from 1997-1998 and had a tiny dev team.

Half-Life 1 was amazing in terms of the writing and attention to detail compared with the status quo at the time.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
FO2 is thematically closer to F:NV than FO1 is, I think.

That said, I got into FO2 first (was that in 1998?). I was 10 y/o back then and it came to be the most replayed game of my childhood, so there's that. Got into FO1 much later and... well, it was good and all but just felt so empty compared to FO2. It's also really short.

I guess I also prefer it when games don't take themselves too seriously.

Bottom line, play both FO1 and FO2, they are incredible games. You can use a speed-up tool: http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Sfall

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It's funny because, when I first played it, I wasn't really old enough to recognize a lot of the pop culture references being made in FO2. I knew that there were a lot of weird things going on in the game--a bespectacled radscorpion, "Tragic, the Garnering" cards, a Mike Tyson-style boxer, etc.--but it didn't seem as prevalent as it did in subsequent visits, probably because a lot of them went over my head or just seemed weird (rather than reference-weird).

Still, I've always liked the outlandishness of FO2. The belligerent ghoul bartender, Wooz, who screams at you as you play "Tragic" games and trade insults with him. "I won! gently caress you! You are dumb. I have crushed you." Or when you go searching for Woody the Ghoul in The Den, and discover that he's been trapped, painted up as a "Jan-u-wine Egyptian Mummy" and put on display by a local man calling himself the "Great Ananias". "Holy poo poo! That *is* Woody! Run Woody, run for it! Well, uh, gimp for it then! Go Woody go!" leaving Ananias to remark that he should have stuck with "mono-headed Brahmin".

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Also found this android app but haven't had the chance to use it yet - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eltechs.erpg&hl=en

This looks way cool! Hadn't heard of it. Gonna check it out on my nexus 7.

The fallout 2 resolution fixer has a config option to let you directly control your companions in combat. Highly recommended unless you like SMG fire in the back.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The problem with Fallout 1 is that the game doesn't really start to pick up until Junktown. That, and there's an obviously optimal good path to take every time. Being an rear end in a top hat gets you nowhere and will lock you out of quests with no benefit.

Fallout 2 has both the god-awful Temple of Trials and boring Klamath, but once you hit the Den you're golden. It's also a lot less goody-goody, and in some cases being a complete rear end in a top hat is the right move. New Reno alone is filled with opportunities for you to gently caress people over for personal gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Starhawk64 posted:

Fallout 1 I find is a more cohesive and tight experience. Fallout 2 is also good but it kinda veers into "LOL WACKY POP CULTURE REFERENCE TIME!" territory sometimes.

Wasn't this mostly relegated to random encounters? Some of that poo poo was bad but it's not like it was all shoved into the critical path like any Working Designs localization job from the 90s.