Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Delsaber posted:

Wasn't this mostly relegated to random encounters? Some of that poo poo was bad but it's not like it was all shoved into the critical path like any Working Designs localization job from the 90s.

talking deathclaws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Talking deathclaws were the one out-there thing in FO2 I liked.

FO1 is a much more even game, but it's pretty shallow. I was shocked when I replayed it relatively recently at how fast I blew past Shady Sands and Junktown.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
The only problem I have with FO2 is how hard it is to go for a 'complete' playthrough. If you pretend not to know where places are until they're placed on your PipBoy (as you should; I mean, Enclave military base locker rush can only so be amusing once) you will still discover San Francisco after talking to a guy in Redding. Once there, you can pretty much steal/buy out power armors, gauss rifles etc. kinda blowing the incentive to explore further.

You pretty much have to pretend San Fran doesn't exist until you've done everything else.

On topic of FO1, what are people's impressions of the fixt patch? Is it more of a lolmod or do the additions make sense? I'm feeling adventurous but not adventurous enough for an Ian and Tandi threesome.

Kubla Khan fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 2, 2014

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

FIXT has some really good stuff (an option to tell your followers to move their asses, for one) and some bizarre poo poo (I've been told you can for example gently caress the bald Brotherhood chick for the Mutant tape and it actually plays a clip of, uh, sex noises). But it's your best bet, I think - nobody really bothered with modding F1 much.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Kubla Khan posted:

The only problem I have with FO2 is how hard it is to go for a 'complete' playthrough.
It's not very hard, actually. Combat Armor will last you through a lot of the game and the Enclave killzone is well within San Francisco, especially once you fix the random encounter rate which all but guarantees you will see them.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

M.Ciaster posted:

FIXT has some really good stuff (an option to tell your followers to move their asses, for one) and some bizarre poo poo (I've been told you can for example gently caress the bald Brotherhood chick for the Mutant tape and it actually plays a clip of, uh, sex noises). But it's your best bet, I think - nobody really bothered with modding F1 much.

To follow up, most of the extra BS content like the bald brotherhood chick are optional iirc

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It's not very hard, actually. Combat Armor will last you through a lot of the game and the Enclave killzone is well within San Francisco, especially once you fix the random encounter rate which all but guarantees you will see them.

Um, not sure you what you mean. What I was trying to say is that getting to San Francisco (the location of which you discover by the time you reach Redding) already makes you so powerful that there's nothing really left you for to do other than to climb the tanker and end the game. Does it really make sense to be solving New Reno turf disputes when you're strutting around with a set of Power Armor and a Gauss Rifle? The only workaround to this if you want to go for a 'complete' playthrough that doesn't feel like stomping on bugs is to pretend San Fran doesn't exist until you're done with everything else.

Of course, you can just rush to the military base to fit yourself out in Advanced Power Armor and top tier energy weapons within 10 minutes of starting the game. But IMO it's more fun to pretend that you don't know what you character wouldn't realistically know either and just roll with the main quest.

As for Combat Armor, it's endgame tier stuff that you're most likely to get from Sierra Army Depot which is already an endgame difficulty type of location. So that's fine.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Kubla Khan posted:

Um, not sure you what you mean.
If you use sfall to fix the encounter rate to happen every 1.5 map squares like in the original Fallout you have a >50% chance of encountering an Enclave kill squad within a 5 tile radius of San Fran which makes the prospect fairly risky, multiply that by 3 and you have a pretty interesting string of save/loads since you're shunted into a random encounter right after loading due to aforementioned fix. And one of the few ways to survive that is to come across Combat Armor, most likely retrieved from the Vault 13 quest or Vault 15, by which you probably likely have completed half of the game to do.

But by default you get almost no encounters on the way to San Fran.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 2, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Kubla Khan posted:

Um, not sure you what you mean. What I was trying to say is that getting to San Francisco (the location of which you discover by the time you reach Redding) already makes you so powerful that there's nothing really left you for to do other than to climb the tanker and end the game. Does it really make sense to be solving New Reno turf disputes when you're strutting around with a set of Power Armor and a Gauss Rifle? The only workaround to this if you want to go for a 'complete' playthrough that doesn't feel like stomping on bugs is to pretend San Fran doesn't exist until you're done with everything else.

Of course, you can just rush to the military base to fit yourself out in Advanced Power Armor and top tier energy weapons within 10 minutes of starting the game. But IMO it's more fun to pretend that you don't know what you character wouldn't realistically know either and just roll with the main quest.

As for Combat Armor, it's endgame tier stuff that you're most likely to get from Sierra Army Depot which is already an endgame difficulty type of location. So that's fine.

you can trivialize 99% of the content of FO2 using Psycho even if all you have is a set of Leather Armor. FO2 is not a hard game by any means.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Remember the golden rule of Fallout games: Always use drugs any chance you get.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

closeted republican posted:

Remember the golden rule of TCC forum: Always use drugs any chance you get.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gyshall posted:

To follow up, most of the extra BS content like the bald brotherhood chick are optional iirc

Bullshit bigomist bangs bald brotherhood bimbo

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I could never get into Fallout 1 because I'd get out of the vault and spend all my bullets killing radscorpions and die. Of course I was 8 last time I played it.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Playing through dead money, forgot to grab the assassin suit. Is there a chest of unique items when you get back to the bunker like the other DLCs or am I out of luck?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I could never get into Fallout 1 because I'd get out of the vault and spend all my bullets killing radscorpions and die. Of course I was 8 last time I played it.

In my case I always get owned by the time limit because I'm terrible at managing time limits in games. Same reason I can't seem to play Star Control 2 without the time mod.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Molybdenum posted:

Playing through dead money, forgot to grab the assassin suit. Is there a chest of unique items when you get back to the bunker like the other DLCs or am I out of luck?
No.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Molybdenum posted:

There isn't, but after you clear the Vault there'll be an opportunity to run through the Villa again to grab anything you may have missed.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Delsaber posted:

In my case I always get owned by the time limit because I'm terrible at managing time limits in games. Same reason I can't seem to play Star Control 2 without the time mod.

There isn't that much to do in fallout 1, if you actually hit the time limit I'm sorry, but you suck.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Molybdenum posted:

Console if you're already back in Vegas.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I've played through Dead Money at least ten times and I still have to consult a guide to find the Snowglobe. The Villa is so drat confusing, but there's no sense of accomplishment - I'm always like "gently caress. Thank god that's over" when I get to the Sierra Madre.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

I only recently started playing this, but is there any way to interrupt long reload animations, short of using a mod? I can't count how many times I've run out of ammo in my lever-action shotgun and had my guy decide to stand around eating bullets to the face while slowly reloading the entire clip instead of just switching to the goddamn backup pistol I'm mashing the hotkey for.

If this is addressed by mods, which ones do you guys recommend?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Dad Jokes posted:

I only recently started playing this, but is there any way to interrupt long reload animations, short of using a mod? I can't count how many times I've run out of ammo in my lever-action shotgun and had my guy decide to stand around eating bullets to the face while slowly reloading the entire clip instead of just switching to the goddamn backup pistol I'm mashing the hotkey for.

If this is addressed by mods, which ones do you guys recommend?

If it's a gun that the Courier reloads one shell at a time, mash the fire button and it'll abort the reload.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
There's a mod floating around somewhere that removes the auto-reload (called Manual Reloading or something) when you run out of ammo which might help.

Slightly dodgey with automatic weapons from memory as you'll sometimes still have the firing animation and recoil but no bullets, this could be my fault though as I had a few extra weapon mods at the time though.

E: he said no mods and this mod is probably as simple as a .ini file line but I'm terrible at modding games
e2: yuussss I am helpful!

Frankly fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 18, 2014

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Manual reload mod was exactly what I was looking for, thanks! :)

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I think you can also hotkey to another weapon to stop reloading, but ofc you still would need to watch the weapon change animation.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I'm considering stacking DR armor pieces for my scientist guy because I can't figure out a nice themed suit other vise. Only sources of DR are regulator duster and the rebreather. What I'm wondering is if a 13% damage resistance is worth it at all or should I just focus on some scientist clothing instead.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
There's a signature armor mod that lets you upgrade and makes regular clothing a viable choice.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Oh that actually fixes my problem entirely. Hopefully it won't be too overpowered.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Iretep posted:

Oh that actually fixes my problem entirely. Hopefully it won't be too overpowered.

It's pretty strong after playing for a while and leveling it up, but you can tweak it entirely to suit your wants anyway iirc.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I say why bother with what is essentially a cheat mod that may make your armor more powerful than you desire when you can always just go into god mode when you are about to get in a fight you couldn't survive in your favorite outfit...or just cheat yourself some good armor that you wear when you need to and don't wear the rest of the time. I'm bemused by this forum's apparent attachment to a mod that is basically "Whatever you are wearing is the best armor you could reasonably get at your level", removing the need to manage defense vs. weight/cost/movement seems like a really drastic solution to trying to roleplay a character with a certain look. I think there's a flag that makes armor visible/invisible, I think the best solution for the hardcore role-players would be a mod that provides visible and invisible versions of every wearable armor/clothing, that way you could wear the visible leather armor if you like that Mad Max look and the invisible power armor, so you can feel rewarded for earning power armor.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
^

Is it more spergy to sperg or to sperg out over the sperg, that is the question.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Keith Atherton posted:

I've played through Dead Money at least ten times and I still have to consult a guide to find the Snowglobe. The Villa is so drat confusing, but there's no sense of accomplishment - I'm always like "gently caress. Thank god that's over" when I get to the Sierra Madre.

As much as I like Dead Money, there's a lot of things that are downright senseless. You're right when you say the Villa is confusing, and the fact that occasionally the waypoint goofs up doesn't help when everything looks the same. Sierra Madre is okay, though, up until when you're in the basement. The basement just has a lot of leaps of faith--not literal leaps mind you, but a lot of areas where you need to go in assuming that speaker fiddling with your collar is within eyeshot and even breakable to begin with. The final area with the three hologram guards is just the worst.

Oh, speaking of which, my friend who in the past hated New Vegas is now playing it and enjoying it. He bought the DLC recently and asked which would be the easiest to start out with. At a certain point, a lot of the DLCs kind of homogenize in terms of difficulty to me, but I told him Honest Hearts was the easiest, but he's waiting until he's level 20 like the little tooltips ask. What do you think is the easiest DLC?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It's not like this game has some intricately balanced armor system. Most people running mods have lowered their carry weight in some way, so its beneficial to use lighter armors vs heavier ones. I find leather armor within 20 minutes, Reinforced Leather Armor not too long after that, and that's basically it as far as low-weight armors go for the majority of the game. Sometimes you just want some variety and not have it be overpowered. Personally, I think anything involving carry weight in New Vegas is dumb. I get that it's supposed to make you "choose things" but all it does it make me choose to fast travel back to my house a thousand times to drop off my poo poo. It just isn't fun after a few playthroughs.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I say why bother with what is essentially a cheat mod that may make your armor more powerful than you desire when you can always just go into god mode when you are about to get in a fight you couldn't survive in your favorite outfit...or just cheat yourself some good armor that you wear when you need to and don't wear the rest of the time.

For me, it's a matter of convenience, and by that I mean I'm a lazy gently caress who can't be arsed to change armour all the goddamn time. Also, the signature armour mod lets you choose the bonuses you want, so you can tailor the armour to your playstyle.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Theta Zero posted:

As much as I like Dead Money, there's a lot of things that are downright senseless. You're right when you say the Villa is confusing, and the fact that occasionally the waypoint goofs up doesn't help when everything looks the same. Sierra Madre is okay, though, up until when you're in the basement. The basement just has a lot of leaps of faith--not literal leaps mind you, but a lot of areas where you need to go in assuming that speaker fiddling with your collar is within eyeshot and even breakable to begin with. The final area with the three hologram guards is just the worst.

Oh, speaking of which, my friend who in the past hated New Vegas is now playing it and enjoying it. He bought the DLC recently and asked which would be the easiest to start out with. At a certain point, a lot of the DLCs kind of homogenize in terms of difficulty to me, but I told him Honest Hearts was the easiest, but he's waiting until he's level 20 like the little tooltips ask. What do you think is the easiest DLC?

Doesn't HH grow cazadores at ~20?

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Personally, I think anything involving carry weight in New Vegas is dumb. I get that it's supposed to make you "choose things" but all it does it make me choose to fast travel back to my house a thousand times to drop off my poo poo. It just isn't fun after a few playthroughs.

I make a no fast travel rule. If something is cool enough to pick up and manually carry home, I take it. Otherwise I just leave it. Compulsive looting of corpses isn't fun, imo.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

posh spaz posted:

I make a no fast travel rule. If something is cool enough to pick up and manually carry home, I take it. Otherwise I just leave it. Compulsive looting of corpses isn't fun, imo.
I play the same way. I can't imaging compulsive hoarding is all that enjoyable, but that seems to be the way most people play these games. Scavenging is kind of fun when you're hunting for low-weight/high-value items instead of just hitting 'Loot all' on every container in the world.

I've never had money problems playing that way either. I mean, what do you even do with your money if you feel the need to sell everything in the world that's not nailed down? There's not that much to spend your caps on.

I guess that's why I've never cared that much about getting a player house either. Anything I plan on using I carry with me. Everything else gets sold or left behind.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

xthetenth posted:

Doesn't HH grow cazadores at ~20?

Honestly as long as you see them coming and don't panic, cazadores are overstated as a threat. Aim for the wings if you can, but really the biggest thing is their total lack of armor. Anything with a high ROF loaded with hollowpoints will shred them like wet toilet paper. The Silenced .22 SMG loaded with .22 hollowpoints can wipe out most of the swarms you'll come across without reloading if you've got the extended mag.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Hannibal Smith posted:

I play the same way. I can't imaging compulsive hoarding is all that enjoyable, but that seems to be the way most people play these games. Scavenging is kind of fun when you're hunting for low-weight/high-value items instead of just hitting 'Loot all' on every container in the world.

I've never had money problems playing that way either. I mean, what do you even do with your money if you feel the need to sell everything in the world that's not nailed down? There's not that much to spend your caps on.

I guess that's why I've never cared that much about getting a player house either. Anything I plan on using I carry with me. Everything else gets sold or left behind.

I used to be a compulsive looter, but I spent all of my time looking at the ground for stuff to take. I use a carry weight mod, a harder barter mod so looting isn't super lucrative, and I made a mod using realistic ammo/cases/shell weights so I couldn't be a walking reloading bench with 1000 cases/hulls on me for every possible cartridge. I also went through and made all items have non-zero weights, because I noticed when I first started using the carry weight mod, I would grab every single drug/weightless item I could find.

I also have a "1 long-arm and 1-2 pistols" rule, but mostly because of the realistic ammo weights, it's not practical to carry 2 long arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pope Guilty posted:

Honestly as long as you see them coming and don't panic, cazadores are overstated as a threat. Aim for the wings if you can, but really the biggest thing is their total lack of armor. Anything with a high ROF loaded with hollowpoints will shred them like wet toilet paper. The Silenced .22 SMG loaded with .22 hollowpoints can wipe out most of the swarms you'll come across without reloading if you've got the extended mag.

It's also full of antivenom if I remember right, but they're still a potentially nasty threat.