Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I feel like if you put honest hearts off that long you're probably immune to poison. Also there's nothing in there worth doing at that point anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

If you want to make cazadores a complete joke, just do Old World Blues first. :v:

(Of course, that has its own issues with level scaling, but w/e.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I feel like if you put honest hearts off that long you're probably immune to poison. Also there's nothing in there worth doing at that point anyways.

Other than Honest Hearts itself, you philistine.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

There's a Joshua Graham to listen to. :colbert:

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Cazadores aren't hard because they're mechanically dangerous, they're hard because they're terrifying and reduce me to girlish shrieks while watching the screen through a single squinted eye desperately trying to aim at them.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Also, in Honest Hearts, I've had them literally appear right behind me the minute my back was turned.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

You can get A Light Shining in the Darkness, one of the best pistols and probably one of the best weapons in the game. Plus, you get to listen to Joshua Graham. :allears:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Also when they come at you in honest hearts, you realize how enormous they are when they're still far away and JUST KEEP GETTING BIGGER :gonk: Seriously giant cazadores are just god drat horrifying.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I say why bother with what is essentially a cheat mod that may make your armor more powerful than you desire when you can always just go into god mode when you are about to get in a fight you couldn't survive in your favorite outfit...or just cheat yourself some good armor that you wear when you need to and don't wear the rest of the time. I'm bemused by this forum's apparent attachment to a mod that is basically "Whatever you are wearing is the best armor you could reasonably get at your level", removing the need to manage defense vs. weight/cost/movement seems like a really drastic solution to trying to roleplay a character with a certain look. I think there's a flag that makes armor visible/invisible, I think the best solution for the hardcore role-players would be a mod that provides visible and invisible versions of every wearable armor/clothing, that way you could wear the visible leather armor if you like that Mad Max look and the invisible power armor, so you can feel rewarded for earning power armor.

Because it's really cool to get a weapon/set of armor that you really like/looks awesome and then as you use them they grow in power with you in cool ways that you can select? It's a ton more fun to take your cool stuff and -earn- the right to use it far beyond the point where you should logically switch to something else. It's just a really cool pair of mods.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Utgardaloki posted:

Cazadores aren't hard because they're mechanically dangerous, they're hard because they're terrifying and reduce me to girlish shrieks while watching the screen through a single squinted eye desperately trying to aim at them.

At least real cazadores aren't that big.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Theta Zero posted:

At least real cazadores aren't that big.

Big enough :(

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Okay what the gently caress is going on in the Bethesda offices? They have to still be paying people, right? Skyrim came out when I was in high school. Fallout 3 came out even earlier. Why have we not heard anything about a new Fallout? The last two Fallout games have to have been incredibly profitable, right? Is there any good reason there's been this long of a delay without hearing anything ? Did everyone go work on elder scrolls online or what

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I just checked the Bethesda offices and they were full of drugged up psychos with assault rifles and flamethrowers. I had to shoot the boss, so Fallout 4's gonna be a little delayed.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Don't worry. I'm pretty sure the boss respawns after a few days, so everything's fine.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sharzak posted:

Okay what the gently caress is going on in the Bethesda offices? They have to still be paying people, right? Skyrim came out when I was in high school. Fallout 3 came out even earlier. Why have we not heard anything about a new Fallout? The last two Fallout games have to have been incredibly profitable, right? Is there any good reason there's been this long of a delay without hearing anything ? Did everyone go work on elder scrolls online or what
Dollars to donuts that the engine is actually becoming a real problem for them to do anything they want to do for Fallout 4

Fuzz1138
Feb 3, 2013

We don't have to dream that we're important. We are.

StandardVC10 posted:

Also, in Honest Hearts, I've had them literally appear right behind me the minute my back was turned.

I've had them spawn right in front of me before.
They just phased into existence right on screen and then turned to kill me. :haw:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
If you do Dead Money first you'll be swimming in money. But I like doing OWB first because I always play as a sniper/repair/science guy and you walk out of there with tons of repair kits and also resistance bonuses against a number of enemies. Plus a cool home base.

It helps if you bring in a spare set of armor because the Lobotomites shred the gently caress out of your armor.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Keith Atherton posted:

If you do Dead Money first you'll be swimming in money. But I like doing OWB first because I always play as a sniper/repair/science guy and you walk out of there with tons of repair kits and also resistance bonuses against a number of enemies. Plus a cool home base.

It helps if you bring in a spare set of armor because the Lobotomites shred the gently caress out of your armor.

Tons of repair kits in OWB? I remember Dead Money being really easy to get repair kits, because I had 150 at some point just through the Sierra Madre chips I had. But I don't remember finding anything that gives you lot of repair kits in OWB.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Theta Zero posted:

Tons of repair kits in OWB? I remember Dead Money being really easy to get repair kits, because I had 150 at some point just through the Sierra Madre chips I had. But I don't remember finding anything that gives you lot of repair kits in OWB.

You don't get whole ones (except from the Sink vendor which might occasionally stock them,) but the crafting ingredients are all over the drat place.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

StandardVC10 posted:

You don't get whole ones (except from the Sink vendor which might occasionally stock them,) but the crafting ingredients are all over the drat place.

Yeah you end up with tons of parts to make into weapon repair kits at the bench in the sink. Any kind of crafting skill pays dividends. I always end up doing like 5+ round trips back to my Novac room with loot from OWB.

Also an SMG is good against Nightstalkers and a sniper-type rifle can help a lot but is not a guns-friendly experience.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Dead Money is surprisingly easy at low level. The enemies scale down and have like 50 hit points but the weapons all do the same amount of damage they do if you go in at level 40, so you can cut your way through the whole DLC with a cosmic knife. A lot of what makes Dead Money tough, like the speakers, isn't really affected by experience level.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I got this recently after enjoying Fallout 3 decently enough. It's fun, I'm playing on Xbox so I can't use mods and such like, but it's fun nonetheless. I've been skipping a good deal of posts here since I started lurking because of spoilers and all that, but is it a good idea to do the DLCs earlier rather than later? I know when this game finishes, it really finishes. I'm in my late teens for levels now and I just did the NCR quest where you negotiate with the Great Khans in their canyon, not sure what I'll do next. I have, like, three different people telling me to kill Mr House now I think?

I get why so many people prefer New Vegas to 3, but I find myself getting a bit lost sometimes in all the overlapping factions. I think Yes Man is a great character, but if I tell him I'm "ignoring" a faction or "getting them on my side", is that then stuck forever, am I like, destined to be Evil Masterman of New Vegas now, even though I've been pretty gosh-darned wholesome otherwise? I get that the role-playing and decision-making aspects are probably better, but I still get a bit eepy about things I could miss. I did the quests for the Brotherhood of Steel for instance, killing all the Fiends in Vault 3 in the process, so now I don't think I can do the quest for those Great Khan drug dealers. I now have a package of theirs stuck in my inventory I think, which is a nice callback to Oblivion.

Will I ever be able to kill Deathclaws? Is there anywhere that consistently sells antivenom (I am yet to meet up with any nightstalkers so I have no blood to make my own)? Do you wish for a nuclear winter? Any answers will be appreciated.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Killing Deathclaws is possible. You just need a really, really, really, really big gun. Like, say, an Antimateriel Rifle. Or be really good at punching.

As for DLC, general recommended order is Honest Hearts > Dead Money > Old World Blues > Lonesome Road. The latter three all tie into each other, but Honest Hearts is mostly separate, it doesn't have a recommended level to start it at and you'll want to get through it before it's crazy level scaling issues kick in.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

All you need to kill deathclaws in fallout 3 is to craft the dart gun

a hit anywhere cripples both legs making it hilariously useful against everything that tries to eat your face off, then you just kite it until it dies with your weapon of choice

e: I misread, youd have to mod it into new vegas obviously. Though if you do that Fallout 3 had some great craftables like the railway rifle and rock-it launcher and you still find rail spikes, darts, etc. in new vegas i think

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 27, 2014

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Deathclaws are nasty, and Fallout 3's leg-crippling dart gun is nowhere to be found. Avoid them; if you have to fight, use weapons that penetrate DR.

IIRC you can't buy antivenom anywhere. Doing Old World Blues makes you immune to poison.

The Great Khan questlines are a tad buggy; sometimes you'll get locked out of a quest for no reason. If you get a quest package stuck in your inventory, it weighs nothing, even though the game will say it has weight. Very rarely does one quest lock you out of others; the only real exception to this is the main quest.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 28, 2014

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You're pretty much never locked into anything with Yes Man, because he's not so much another faction as a way for you to alienate all other factions and still beat the game. The three main factions are the NCR, the Legion, and House, and each one wants you to deal with a bunch of the smaller factions in various ways (I want you to get the Boomers on my side, I want you to get rid of the Khans, etc) but Yes Man has the "I want to leave X alone" dialogue option so you can skip those quests if you don't feel like doing them. You can still totally go meet X and do their quests or kill them all, you just don't have to.

The main three factions are mutually exclusive after a certain point. Help out anyone other than the Legion and you'll get a quest called "Beware The Wrath Of Caesar" to warn you that you'll be locked out of any further Legion quests if you keep working for them. The NCR has a similar quest called "Don't Tread On The Bear" which you get for working with anyone but them. They update when you go back to the questgiver to tell them you've done as they asked, so do all the quests you like and as long as you don't turn them in all factions will love you.

The only way to lock yourself out of House quests is to kill him, and there's no way to ever lock yourself out of Yes Man quests. You can beat him to death with a baseball bat and he'll be back the next day, apologising for getting on your bad side. Definitely try killing him at least once btw.

DLC TIPZ: Honest Hearts and Lonesome Road can be done whenever as they're pretty well balanced for either high or mid level players(Lonesome Road is specifically designed to be played as close to the end of the main game as possible). Old World Blues and Dead Money are best done relatively early as they are... not as well balanced, and the enemies will have insanely high HP past level 30 or so,though this won't matter so much if you're a melee character. I recommend saving before going into Dead Money as the gameplay is very divisive, and I recommend taking absolutely everything you can carry to Old World Blues, including stuff like pencils and cameras that you might have thought weren't good for anything.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Specifically, bring all the toasters and pre-war books (intact, not burnt or ruined) you can carry. You will understand.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Specifically, bring all the toasters and pre-war books (intact, not burnt or ruined) you can carry. You will understand.

With regard to the Book Chute, burnt and ruined books are still totally fine, I believe.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Thanks for the advice guys! I've seen Honest Hearts and a bit of Old World Blues already (not in my own game), so they won't feel totally alien at least.

Regarding deathclaws, I didn't even know about the dart gun trick until after finishing Fallout 3. I kind of already knew about the Almost Perfect perk, so I held off on collecting the SPECIAL bobbleheads that weren't already at 9 until I got it. This made most things pretty trivial by the time I got to the Broken Steel quests, deathclaws included. Now I have to rely on this "strategy" thing... in 3 I ended up with stealth boys out the wazoo, annoyingly so because they'd take up inventory space; in NV they're some of my more precious items, especially for when quests send me through deathclaw-infested valleys.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Dollars to donuts that the engine is actually becoming a real problem for them to do anything they want to do for Fallout 4
Just ask Konami to let them make a Fallout game with the FOX engine and Obsidian write the story

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

achillesforever6 posted:

Just ask Konami to let them make a Fallout game with the FOX engine and Obsidian write the story

Well, I'm erect.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Once you tell Yes Man something, it's pretty much locked in, though to be honest all you're really telling him is that you're either leaving a group alone or that they're already all dead. Even after you tell him that you can still complete their quests or kill them all. The one reason I would hold off on telling him anything is that if you get far enough along his quest chain you get locked out of the other factions (a warning does pop up, though) whereas you never get locked out of using Yes Man, so even if he ultimately ends up being your choice you can still spend some time working for the others.

If you're already in the late teens I would start the DLC soon; it throws experience at you and you don't want to end up too over-leveled or the scaling will be insane, and there's so much content that all four pieces combined are practically a second game in and of themselves. It is recommended to go HH or DM -> OWB -> LR, but just so you know what you're getting into (without spoilers):

Honest Hearts: limited plot, but a pretty little map to gently caress around in. Some really great guns and melee weapons.

Dead Money: a plot-heavy survival horror game that moves sloooowly and is based more around solving puzzles and running away. The plot is very good and you end up with one of the best energy weapons in the game, but there is a lot of picking through ruins and avoiding perma-death traps. Fair warning.

Old World Blues: another fun little open-world space to gently caress around in. Heavy on the wacky humor, which may or may not be your thing, and the plot pretty much barely exists to encourage you to explore. This one throws overpowered weapons, armor and stat upgrades at you and also gives you the best player home in the game. There is some real bullet-sponginess at higher levels, though.

Lonesome Road: a linear dungeon crawl with probably the most challenging combat in the game, for what that's worth. Would definitely recommend finding a way to take on deathclaws reliably beforehand because they are a frequent hazard this time, and not even necessarily the worst one. Feels more like an ending than the game's actual ending, so save it until you're just about ready to begin the battle at Hoover Dam. Surprisingly it doesn't throw as much overpowered gear at you than the others, probably because it was the last one so they assumed you were already rolling in with all the ridiculous poo poo you'd accumulated up to that point. Still some good stuff if you're a fan of explosives, though.

And yes, patrolling the Mojave has really made me wish for a nuclear winter.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Crippling the legs of a Deathclaw is a bitch move, just unload a minigun full of armor-piercing rounds right in their loving face.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Deathclaws are just as easy as they are in F3 if you play things right. Combining a drug cocktail of Slasher, Med-X, and Buffout with an AMR that has Match ammo, Minigun or LMG with AP ammo, or a high DPS Unarmed/Melee weapon will shred through a pack of Deathclaws in seconds. Hell, even Turbo makes them a piece of cake.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

closeted republican posted:

Deathclaws are just as easy as they are in F3 if you play things right. Combining a drug cocktail of Slasher, Med-X, and Buffout with an AMR that has Match ammo, Minigun or LMG with AP ammo, or a high DPS Unarmed/Melee weapon will shred through a pack of Deathclaws in seconds. Hell, even Turbo makes them a piece of cake.

Real Deathclaw killers don't use drugs.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Theta Zero posted:

Real Deathclaw killers don't use drugs without a Fat Man equipped.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I have never used the Fat Man in New Vegas. :geno:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I just realized that I never have, either.

615 hours and I still haven't shot a mini nuke at Mr. House. What the gently caress is wrong with me.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Equip Prostitute gear and hunt them with a Combat Knife.

Wasn't the Fat Man nerfed in NV? I vaguely recall it being underwhelming compared to 3's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Surprisingly it doesn't throw as much overpowered gear at you than the others, probably because it was the last one so they assumed you were already rolling in with all the ridiculous poo poo you'd accumulated up to that point.
most of it's pretty good, but I never found any use for the arc welder. It does the least damage of any ECP weapon, even with the bonus EMP damage, its only advantage is that it looks cool. There must be a time when it's the best weapon to have but I have no idea when it would be.