Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Come to think of it, does the Mad Max influence also explain the odd Australian/New Zealander accents that some of the Great Khans have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Come to think of it, does the Mad Max influence also explain the odd Australian/New Zealander accents that some of the Great Khans have?

Were there more than just the lady you handed the drugs to with a distinct Australianish accent?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

closeted republican posted:

Of course, since modern Chris Avelone writes it, it's full of massive infodumps that just exhaust the player's patience and dialogue that thinks its smarter than it really is.

They should have Aaron Sorkin write the next one to put an end to that sort of thing

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Theta Zero posted:

Were there more than just the lady you handed the drugs to with a distinct Australianish accent?

That's Zoe Bell, who's a Kiwi, not an Australian.

(She's actually pretty cool -- she's a stunt actor turned professional thespian, and Quentin Tarrantino uses her in a lot of films 'cause she can do all the stunts herself. She's one of the leads in Deathproof, which is super good and worth checking out).

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
re: Lonesome Road

Honestly, my biggest problem with it is that it doesn't bother to address the bombs that blow up critical supply lines (if you choose that path), aside from the set pieces of the Long 15, or the-- Legion area that I'm forgetting the name of. It's an event that should have, by all means, significantly changed the endings, or at the very least the dynamics of the game itself re: interactions, how the war is going, etc. It's a huge event that should have been in the main game as an option, so they had all the voice actors on board to react to it. It's a really unfortunate oversight, because that would've been amazing to see.

Those bombs going off should have ended the war, and have a good chance at outright ruining the Mojave. You shouldn't be able to play past that point, and if you can, you shouldn't be having the same conversations. The Long 15 was a HUGE supply line for the NCR, if not the only major one, and the -- whatever Legion thing was basically the same. Legion suppliers would be forced to show up from Utah, especially if Cottonwood Cove's poo poo got ruined by radiation.

I honestly wasn't bugged by Ulysses dialogue as much as I was by the 'well continue on as if nothing happened~' conceit. It was an interesting idea, but it made absolutely no sense in terms of finishing the game itself. It gave an 'ending slides' story, sure, but being able to keep going after that just felt dumb and weird.

I realize that there were programming constraints and what have you, but the ending - being as apocalyptic as it was - really fell short for me when it came to 'pretty much no repercussions here, move along now.' I also realize that they were working on a budget, so it wasn't like they could write shitloads of dialogue for characters that are already established actually reacting to the poo poo that's going on without blowing a huge wad of money.

It was an interesting idea, but, in the end, generally unsatisfying, unless you choose the no bombs, let's shut this poo poo down option, which is the only one that fits the narrative.

Otherwise: Ulysses had a ton of things to say, sure, and it got obnoxious after a while, especially since he's dictating your life to you (I also found that somewhat offputting, but did like that it's his interpretation of your actions). I thought the take on things was interesting, and agree it was 'trying to be overly clever,' but, all in all, it the main way in which it fell short was that it didn't have had real, visceral impacts on the world itself. The DLC would've been a lot more solid if it brought the major players, and, hell, even a lot of the minor players, back in to comment on what happens at the end.

In the end, you just get a generally interesting dude to listen to who says 'bear and bull' enough times to turn it into a drinking game, and the illusion of a major choice that, uh, doesn't have any impact at all.

But his insights on the Legion are pretty neat.

EDIT: I actually downloaded the full mp3'd voice files for him (because I can't be bothered to convert them, myself), and there's a shitload of variation depending on what faction you're in, what gender you are if you're Legion, and a lot of other things. When he's not pontificating, Ulysses is a genuinely interesting person to talk to in the game. You just, you know, have to find his holotapes, complete the main quest, and witness his awkward arms-crossed animation multiple times.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 30, 2015

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Old Boot posted:

re: Lonesome Road

It's never quite clear on how much damage you're doing, either. Ulysses himself says at one point that he's not intending to destroy the entire NCR, just break the Long 15 and leave NCR exposed to the Legion. But the ending slides and other bits act like you're obliterating everything outside the Mojave of the game map.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Lonesome Road annoys me because I usually play NCR runs and the only way to get the sweet NCR themed power armor without using the console is by nuking the NCR.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Loneseome Road fails for me more because it doesn't feel like a place. Zion, Big MT, even the Sierra Madre felt like logical places, with an internal logic and purpose, even if parts of them didn't. Conversely, the Lone 15 feels ... it feels like a dungeon with monster encounters.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Byzantine posted:

It's never quite clear on how much damage you're doing, either. Ulysses himself says at one point that he's not intending to destroy the entire NCR, just break the Long 15 and leave NCR exposed to the Legion. But the ending slides and other bits act like you're obliterating everything outside the Mojave of the game map.

The ending slides are narrated by Ulysses so he's probably just exaggerating again.

Really, the game probably isn't stable enough to have major in-game consequences like adding new main game ending slides and dialogue, but there had to be some kind of choice at the end of the DLC and they give you two great looking areas with some sweet items to make up for not being able to have House say "oh my God you nuked the NCR!" I do wish it would just make the faction you attacked hostile on sight, the NCR barely get annoyed at you.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
How would anyone even know who nuked the places. Only one who knows is Ulysses unless you kill him. Do the nukes just announce the douchebag who fired the missle somehow?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

2house2fly posted:

The ending slides are narrated by Ulysses so he's probably just exaggerating again.

Really, the game probably isn't stable enough to have major in-game consequences like adding new main game ending slides and dialogue, but there had to be some kind of choice at the end of the DLC and they give you two great looking areas with some sweet items to make up for not being able to have House say "oh my God you nuked the NCR!" I do wish it would just make the faction you attacked hostile on sight, the NCR barely get annoyed at you.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand why it wasn't implemented, I just kind of wished that the ending hadn't been so extreme. Like, I don't know, maybe what got fired off were duds or something. Add some hubris to Ulysses' big plans.

Byzantine posted:

It's more that you're obliterating crucial supply lines, and demoralizing whichever side you choose to lay waste to. You're also creating massive radioactive craters in those supply lines that, well, yeah. You're obliterating something, but it's mostly the primary veins of both parties if you choose to annihilate them both.

I'm not sure why I bothered to spoiler things in my initial post now, but w/e.

Either way, it was a really weird choice, design-wise. It felt like something that was supposed to be a part of the main game, but never made it in, much like Ulysses himself.

All I know is my jaw hit the floor when I saw the mushroom clouds, and then felt a lot less shocked when literally nothing changed beyond a couple areas that got added back in.

EDIT: Also, getting forced into a questline where you nuke a part of the Divide itself felt really cheap, and like something people from the main game would notice. Like, hey guys, what's up with the mushroom cloud?

EDIT 2:

Iretep posted:

How would anyone even know who nuked the places. Only one who knows is Ulysses unless you kill him. Do the nukes just announce the douchebag who fired the missle somehow?

I don't think it should've been something the factions recognized as 'you as culprit' at all. I just think that if you're going to do something that extravagant, you should have some kind of reaction to it. Moore going 'agh,' Caesar going 'agh,' or something. The Outpost should've been evacuated at the very least, since it had a close proximity to the Long 15 (to some extent), and Basic Weather means the radioactive debris would've hit the Outpost pretty fast.

It was the worst thing that could happen to the Mojave campaign on both sides, and the Mojave in general.

See also: dumb karma system.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 30, 2015

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Really, the game probably isn't stable enough to have major in-game consequences like adding new main game ending slides and dialogue
Technically it's perfectly possible to add new epilogue-slides & dialogue to the base game via DLC. If it was on the drawing board at some point, then it wasn't implemented due to time & resources.

When you launch the nukes you don't blow up the entire NCR and/or Legion territory though. Just a small bit right next to the Mojave. I suppose the launches not affecting the Second Battle can be handwaved by the NCR & Legion having been preparing for the last 3/4 years. They're both ready for round two.
If you cut one or both's supply lines and then fart around for several ingame months before the Second Battle then that offcourse doesn't work anymore.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I really, really enjoy hardcore mode but the possibility of companion permadeath makes me super wary about bringing any companions along with me. I miss having my pack mules though.

I am pretty sure there's a mod which lets companions not die in hardcore but.... I kinda feel like if I used it I'd be cheating. I feel that way about a lot of mods.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

khy posted:

I am pretty sure there's a mod which lets companions not die in hardcore but.... I kinda feel like if I used it I'd be cheating. I feel that way about a lot of mods.
Think of it as compensating for the AI. After all it will have your followers cheerfully try to hug the frag grenade thrown at them. Same reason I give them all infinite ammo with all weapons after seeing Cass empty magazine after magazine at a rock.
To make it feel less like "cheating" you could have the companions use stimpacks for healing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

If nothing else just quickload.

also if you don't use mods you don't use Project Nevada and jsawyer which I basically think of as part of the base game now

khy
Aug 15, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

If nothing else just quickload.

also if you don't use mods you don't use Project Nevada and jsawyer which I basically think of as part of the base game now

I never said I don't use mods. Just that a lot of the mods out there feel cheaty. If a mod gives me something without requiring an investment I tend to think poorly of it.

For example, there's a night vision mod I love. It adds in night vision implants - for an expensive price. I love it because it fits the game world and adds functionality but there's a cost that goes along with it.

Raygereio posted:

Think of it as compensating for the AI. After all it will have your followers cheerfully try to hug the frag grenade thrown at them. Same reason I give them all infinite ammo with all weapons after seeing Cass empty magazine after magazine at a rock.
To make it feel less like "cheating" you could have the companions use stimpacks for healing.

What I'd actually like is a 3-strike mod. Each companion gets 3 'knockdowns' before dying. That way at least I could have them sit it out in the Lucky 38 if I know they're on their last legs.

Ah well, I'll take what I can get.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Do you guys ever let companions die? Truth be told I never really play Hardcore mode (I know, I'll probably try it over summer a bit) but in Fallout 3 I'd always reload if anyone got killed. The only one I can remember letting die was Dogmeat in Fallout 1, because he was more trouble to keep alive than he was actually worth imo.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The idea I always got from the setting is that if you wanted to get around California, you've got options - train, brahamin carriage, boat or just walking. But with cars, only the NCR government and a few rich NCR citizens have them, due to the difficulty in finding parts.

Long distance vehicle travel isn't really possible for a few reasons, so the NCR is cut off from whatever's left of the rest of America to an extent. Actually, there still a lot that hasn't been explored in the games or lore - its a really cool setting, I hope Fallout 4 does it right.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It would be neat to see a Fallout game with a bunch of in-game fast travel points a la Morrowind, with stuff like different caravan routes and rail lines and such. Failing that, just do it like the old games and have an overmap that you travel on to get to different locations. They'd never do it, but it would definitely solve the issue of the whole world feeling like an amusement park with something happening every thirty feet.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
While I wouldn't expect to see much in the way of powered vehicles, I'm surprised we don't see more animal-driven transport. Ox carts should work fine with Brahmin, and could be used in the way they are in Skyrim.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well the Great Khans fled to Wyoming and started up their own Mongol Empire. Wish they had some mutant horses or something. In fact, I'd like to see some more northern mutated animals. Killer moose.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cars don't seem very useful anyway as they rely on a fairly robust infrastructure to really do anything. Without roads that aren't all blown to hell or any gas stations anywhere what would you do?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Find an oil refinery and off-road tires?

Edit: There's also the whole bit about how these future cars don't use gas I think. So all you need is working fusion batteries or something.

Double Edit: Yeah all the fallout cars are electirc, so you don't even need gas .

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 30, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Brainamp posted:

Find an oil refinery?

The reason the Great War happened was that oil was SERIOUSLY running out, hence the rise of nuclear power.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Serperoth posted:

The reason the Great War happened was that oil was SERIOUSLY running out, hence the rise of nuclear power.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Enclave_Oil_Rig

Granted that one got blowed up, but they do still exist. The point is that cars in fallout are far from useless. One of the quests in fallout 2 lets you just turn your wheels into hover pads.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Brainamp posted:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Enclave_Oil_Rig

Granted that one got blowed up, but they do still exist. The point is that cars in fallout are far from useless. One of the quests in fallout 2 lets you just turn your wheels into hover pads.

The wiki posted:

built over the world's last accessible underwater oil field in the Pacific Ocean, 175 miles off the coast of California.[1]

The wiki posted:

The United States won the international race to establish a platform here in January 2073, over the world's last known pockets of oil

That was the reason why energy in the Fallout world turned to nuclear, because there was barely any oil left. The car in 2 is a one-time thing, and it always felt a touch contrived. Since we know that the NCR has manufacturing facilities running, I don't think they'd be far from mechanizing to some degree, if they can figure out how to make engines, and we already see bikes (outside of the saloon in Goodsprings at least), but engines are the bigger concern.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Speaking of vehicles, why does the NCR never use its vertibirds in combat? It seems like the fort would be a pretty easy target for an air strike.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I figure the Legion has more howitzers offscreen.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Vetibirds would be even rarer and harder to come by than cars, I guess they don't really want to risk the few they have. Iirc, the only ones they have are ones captured from the Enclave, they weren't civillian aircraft, or in mass use by the government pre-war.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 30, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I wish most of the companion endings weren't so bittersweet. I mean, I'm the biggest badass ever to grace the Mojave, but in the end Arcade and Veronica still don't end up happily ever after.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Serperoth posted:

That was the reason why energy in the Fallout world turned to nuclear, because there was barely any oil left. The car in 2 is a one-time thing, and it always felt a touch contrived. Since we know that the NCR has manufacturing facilities running, I don't think they'd be far from mechanizing to some degree, if they can figure out how to make engines, and we already see bikes (outside of the saloon in Goodsprings at least), but engines are the bigger concern.

Aren't a lot of the cars electric/nuclear? IIRC the FO2 car ran on energy weapon ammo.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

sout posted:

Do you guys ever let companions die? Truth be told I never really play Hardcore mode (I know, I'll probably try it over summer a bit) but in Fallout 3 I'd always reload if anyone got killed. The only one I can remember letting die was Dogmeat in Fallout 1, because he was more trouble to keep alive than he was actually worth imo.

In Fallout 3 I ran with the dude from Megaton for nearly the entire game, which is why it is a bit awkward that I can't remember his name. I used to reload when he died (Feral Ghoul Reavers are nasty), but when he bit the bullet during the final mission from Broken Steel I just let it be. I was too busy playing around with that lightning bazooka they give you and he got bumrushed by Enclave troops on the airway.

While wrapping up my play-through I used Clover, even though they way she acts made me cringe. I just decided to roll with it and ended up giving her a police officer hat, cop shades and one of those raider outfits from The Pitt that is basically a bra/bandolier made of two rocket shell tips (it looks as ridiculous as it sounds). I also wiped out the slaver camp, so even though I was playing an evil cannibal I guess the inner SJW was satisfied.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 31, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sout posted:

I never let them die, its not a matter of being sentimental to the NPC (the can be replaced easily enough), but they will inevitably be carrying a lot of loot for me and there is no way I could carry it all back to town on my own. I'll be damned if I'm going to make two trips to town, that poo poo is getting reloaded :colbert:

OldMemes posted:

Vetibirds would be even rarer and harder to come by than cars, I guess they don't really want to risk the few they have. Iirc, the only ones they have are ones captured from the Enclave, they weren't civillian aircraft, or in mass use by the government pre-war.

Also the only reason the Enclave could fuel their own Virtibirds was because they lived on the last remaining oil platform in existence. An oil platform that was destroyed at the end of Fallout 2. The NCR has no way of powering the things, there is no gasoline on Earth, that's the whole point of Fallout.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 31, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Aren't a lot of the cars electric/nuclear? IIRC the FO2 car ran on energy weapon ammo.

Yeah, all of them. :v: There's pretty much no oil in the Fallout world, so pretty much everything runs on nuclear/electric energy, including cars. Making a functional nuclear engine doesn't seem like an easy work, and it's the most crucial component of the car.
And tyres I suppose, which are also an oil product...

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I'll defend New Vegas to the death, especially Lonesome Road, but I'll admit it's probably the weakest plot of the DLCs. It really suffers when the base game has no mention of it, and the creation of the Courier's Mile was pretty cheap.

That's the true tragedy of New Vegas: the production time. Bethesda rushed Obsidian, so all the cool poo poo (companion!Ulysses included) got cut.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Malpais Legate posted:

I'll defend New Vegas to the death, especially Lonesome Road, but I'll admit it's probably the weakest plot of the DLCs. It really suffers when the base game has no mention of it, and the creation of the Courier's Mile was pretty cheap.

That's the true tragedy of New Vegas: the production time. Bethesda rushed Obsidian, so all the cool poo poo (companion!Ulysses included) got cut.

None of the DLC makes any sense. Why would anyone fight over Hoover Dam for any faction, when you could instead tell that faction about the Sierra Madre or Big MT? Who gives a poo poo about Hoover Dam when you could have the 100% functional generators of the Madre or Big MT in addition to all the technology within? It would throw the balance of power so far in one sides favor that the Dam becomes pointless.

Heck the technology in those DLC locations is enough that the player could conceivably give it to the broken down Brotherhood of Steel and transform them into a viable ending faction, rather than canon fodder.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

None of the DLC makes any sense. Why would anyone fight over Hoover Dam for any faction, when you could instead tell that faction about the Sierra Madre or Big MT? Who gives a poo poo about Hoover Dam when you could have the 100% functional generators of the Madre or Big MT in addition to all the technology within? It would throw the balance of power so far in one sides favor that the Dam becomes pointless.

Heck the technology in those DLC locations is enough that the player could conceivably give it to the broken down Brotherhood of Steel and transform them into a viable ending faction, rather than canon fodder.

You are part of the problem.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Rutibex posted:

1) Most of the technology in those places is fixed in place and it's kinda hard to get to those places.

2) Contrived-as-balls as the excuses for not being able to report on or subsequently access those places are, they seem to be ironclad. Good luck importing more than you can carry with you.

3) Do you really trust any faction with that stuff? Even the Followers accidentally created Caesar and the superscience that lingered in the wasteland is pretty freaky already. I barely trust the Courier with DLC poo poo. Also gently caress the Brotherhood; at this point they're probably one bad day from trying to exterminate the Mojave in the name of ideological purity.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Unimaginative posted:

3) Do you really trust any faction with that stuff? Even the Followers accidentally created Caesar and the superscience that lingered in the wasteland is pretty freaky already. I barely trust the Courier with DLC poo poo. Also gently caress the Brotherhood; at this point they're probably one bad day from trying to exterminate the Mojave in the name of ideological purity.

I hadn't even thought of The Followers, now that would have been an excellent ending! The Followers did all kinds of great work using just the burnt out remains of the LA Public Library. Imagine what they could accomplish with the entirety of Big MT!

It would have been a nice addition, to integrate the DLC into the main game. Have a few "minor faction wins the game because the courier gave DLC secrets to them" options thrown in for joke slides in the ending:
*And even though Caesars army crushed the NCR forces, and managed to overrun the NCR homeland, they where soon defeated 6 months later by the invincible Great Khan army of Hologram equipped Nightstalker Cyberdogs, returning peace to the wasteland*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There was initially going to be a "The Courier takes over/destroys the wasteland" ending to OWB that was taken out, similar to the one where you take over with Elijah in DM.