Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

Go back to the Mojave, where they broadcast from?

That's the issue, I've been back in the Mojave for a while now but the stations are still unavailable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You know, considering how I can get the Brotherhood, the Followers of the Apocalypse, the Khans, the Boomers, a bunch of securitrons and the loving Enclave to show up at the dam, I'm really shocked that there's no way to convince the super mutants and possibly some aliens to join the fray.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I'm not really sure why super mutants would help either side really. They are mostly isolationist. They are more likely to help the legion anyway since NCR just wants them to leave.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Iretep posted:

I'm not really sure why super mutants would help either side really. They are mostly isolationist. They are more likely to help the legion anyway since NCR just wants them to leave.

You can convince the Brotherhood to help the NCR. Paper thin logic destroyed.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Is there a mission/feature where you can fund a merchant caravan network? I swear I remember something like this but can't find anything except a similar situation in Skyrim.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
There's a mod that adds it, I think. Knowing Bethesda, that's probably where they got the idea.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ISn't there a quest like that from fallout 3? I remember it because the cravans were easily killed in the wasteland and it was annoying.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Oh, yeah; it's in Canterbury Commons. I'll bet 98% of everyone who played never found it because why the gently caress would you ever go there except the first time for the superhero fight?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Iretep posted:

Marcus finds the Legion pretty abhorrent, and most of the mutants seem scared or at least wary of the Legion (Beware the Battle Cattle).

The Super Mutants aren't really a viable source of help at the moment though. A huge chunk of Jacobstown is mentally ill Nightkin with the rest actings as caregivers. Your options are all the Nightkin fight and you have a bunch of mentally ill people who will change sides if offered stealthboys or have the OG Super Mutants fight and risk having the abandoned Nightkin wander into Vegas.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Promontory posted:

That's the issue, I've been back in the Mojave for a while now but the stations are still unavailable.

Have you been using the transportalponder?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Galewolf posted:

Reading this thread more than once a week caused the inevitable chain reaction of re-installing the game and having a brain anuerysm while trying to find best :byodood: MY IMMERSION! :byodood: mods for my Cowboy run. This time, I am going for:

-All "cowboy" stuff as far as its viable. No stimpacks or synthetic drugs but healing powders, brews and alcohol.

-Cowboy & Indian guns as far as I can help it. Brush Gun/Ranger Sequoia, Bowie Knife, Dynamite, Tomahawk etc. and homemade explosives (tin grenade etc.).

-No armor, as long as it can be helped.

- :clint: all the way.

Thank you, thread...Thank you :negative:

I would recommend http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43842/?:

As it will permit you to level up things like dusters into effective armor.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Or just use the desert ranger armor from Honest Hearts.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Yeah but honest hearts is garbage. Just cheat it into your inventory.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Dead Money > Honest Hearts > Old World Blues > ....................................................... > Lonesome Road

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

All the DLCs own sorry

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

StashAugustine posted:

Or just use the desert ranger armor from Honest Hearts.

Or one of the dusters from the Tailor Maid mod that has like 26 DT. In fact all of the base armors in that mod have about 26 DT, so you can look cool in armor more powerful than Power Armor.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Have you been using the transportalponder?

That was it, thanks! I'd been using it to get to Lombard Station and then leave through the cave entrance, so the game thought I was still at Big Mountain.

Trip to the Divide was worth it to get a thematic outfit for my guns/NCR run.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Crimson Harvest posted:

Yeah but honest hearts is garbage. Just cheat it into your inventory.

i will fight you

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

i will fight you

Lets do it bro. You can use your boring .45 auto and I'll defeat you with laughter at your bad taste.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Crimson Harvest posted:

Lets do it bro. You can use your :krad: greek-inscribed .45 auto and I'll lose and cry about how nothing I wear will ever be as swag as Joshua Graham's armor.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Your New Vegas experience isn't complete until you've done a playthrough dressed as a 30s era gangster with a .45 submachine gun.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I need to figure out if there's a mod to let me play Roland the headless Thompson gunner.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Steam Achievement Manager.

Thanks, this did the trick.

And thanks gibbed for making it, wherever you are

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Keeshhound posted:

Oh, yeah; it's in Canterbury Commons. I'll bet 98% of everyone who played never found it because why the gently caress would you ever go there except the first time for the superhero fight?

It's easy to do, and it improves the quantity and quality of what the travelling merchants carry measurably, including caps. Lucky Harlan gets to be almost as good as Flak & Shrapnel's place in Rivet City. I don't think it helps their repair skills, but by that time I'm going to Hayley's Hardware for that need.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Yeah, I made quite some use from the merchant selling mostly junk for repairs. The trouble with those merchants that they're a bit finicky. Sometimes they will just stop moving which certainly makes them easier to find, but is annoying when their stop is Arefu and they spawn next to an Albino Radscorpion.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 27, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Doodles posted:

It's easy to do, and it improves the quantity and quality of what the travelling merchants carry measurably, including caps. Lucky Harlan gets to be almost as good as Flak & Shrapnel's place in Rivet City. I don't think it helps their repair skills, but by that time I'm going to Hayley's Hardware for that need.

It's supposed to increase repair for all of them. I just meant that it's not an obvious quest, and I doubt most people stick around long enough to find it; I only found out about it because of the wiki.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Just finished all the DLCs in their intended order. Don't wanna repeat what's already been said, but I enjoyed all of them to varying degrees. My only major complaint is, honestly, I feel like the writing in Lonesome Road is so cataclysmically far up its own rear end it's a little hard to take seriously. But the Divide was a kickass setting and the final showdown (or teamup) with Ulysses was the tits. Too bad his loving coat isn't nearly as fresh as Graham's armor. It probably wouldn't look as stupid if there were clothe physics but oh well.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Just finished all the DLCs in their intended order. Don't wanna repeat what's already been said, but I enjoyed all of them to varying degrees. My only major complaint is, honestly, I feel like the writing in Lonesome Road is so cataclysmically far up its own rear end it's a little hard to take seriously. But the Divide was a kickass setting and the final showdown (or teamup) with Ulysses was the tits. Too bad his loving coat isn't nearly as fresh as Graham's armor. It probably wouldn't look as stupid if there were clothe physics but oh well.

Yeah it's in the same league as people who really intensly read their own, awkwardly average poetry

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 28, 2015

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's cool that you can just shoot Ulysses in the back of the head and not have a dramatic final speech. Also I liked the idea that he was named after Ulysses S. Grant rather than the more obvious answer.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Crimson Harvest posted:

Lets do it bro. You can use your boring .45 auto and I'll defeat you with laughter at your bad taste.

you are the king of bad opinions.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

As long as we're talking about DLC stuff, let's do some analysis that's a bit more... objective?... than pure personal tastes.

The strengths of New Vegas are in its writing. Not in the mechanics, not in the area design and (obviously) not in the combat engine. There's only so long (> a minute) that "pretty" is a factor in appreciating a new area. There's only so much you can do with the combat engine, whether to mixed results (focusing on the limbs with Ghost people) or to terrible, batshit stupid results ("I don't like players who keep sneaking around and headshotting enemies from miles away. I know - let's constantly spawn bullet-sponge enemies near the player! I, Chris Avellone, am a bloody genius!")

So the DLC's that work better in the game's context are the ones where you have a lot of interaction with interesting NPCs - Dead Money, Old World Blues. Honest Hearts could have been fantastic if your caravan members survived based on your decision, and had an input into the main quest / some quests of their own to run (it still managed to have some of the best writing in the game in the Survivalists notes and their interaction with the main decision, but quality doesn't quite trump quantity). Lonely Road is the worst of the lot because there's only one NPC, the interaction with whom is mostly one sided, and the players choices highly limited when we do get around to it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

You are forgetting ED-E who is the greatest R2-D2 style pal since Kotor 2.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I actually like the combat in Lonesome Road but that's after using jsawyer so I barely remember how it was vanilla.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Man Whore posted:

you are the king of bad opinions.

Whatever man if you wanna cosplay as a police mummy and hit a guy with a plush bear hand go for it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Crimson Harvest posted:

Whatever man if you wanna cosplay as a police mummy and hit a guy with a plush bear hand go for it.

... Yeah, that does sound pretty awesome.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Xander77 posted:

As long as we're talking about DLC stuff, let's do some analysis that's a bit more... objective?... than pure personal tastes.

The strengths of New Vegas are in its writing. Not in the mechanics, not in the area design and (obviously) not in the combat engine. There's only so long (> a minute) that "pretty" is a factor in appreciating a new area. There's only so much you can do with the combat engine, whether to mixed results (focusing on the limbs with Ghost people) or to terrible, batshit stupid results ("I don't like players who keep sneaking around and headshotting enemies from miles away. I know - let's constantly spawn bullet-sponge enemies near the player! I, Chris Avellone, am a bloody genius!")

So the DLC's that work better in the game's context are the ones where you have a lot of interaction with interesting NPCs - Dead Money, Old World Blues. Honest Hearts could have been fantastic if your caravan members survived based on your decision, and had an input into the main quest / some quests of their own to run (it still managed to have some of the best writing in the game in the Survivalists notes and their interaction with the main decision, but quality doesn't quite trump quantity). Lonely Road is the worst of the lot because there's only one NPC, the interaction with whom is mostly one sided, and the players choices highly limited when we do get around to it.
For real though I liked Dead Money a lot, Dog/God and Dean were great characters, and the atmosphere and sense of general desperation were enjoyable. Exploring the ruined villa was nice, because you actually had to learn the layout instead of just heading directly where you want to go.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pwnstar posted:

You are forgetting ED-E who is the greatest R2-D2 style pal since Kotor 2.

T3-M4 or HK-47?

I didn't mind the writing in Lonesome Road so much. The fluff writing for the region (the setup for the encounter with Rawr was pretty intense), Ulysses's logs and ED-E's recordings were all great, I felt. Main plot is pretty barebones and hard to decipher. I've only played through LR once, but I like the idea that Ulysses was a rambling idiot, since then you can toss up his nonsense to insanity.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

T3 is the twisted R2-D2, HK-47 is the twisted C-3P0.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
None of them are as twisted as G0T0 :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Speaking of that, i hope everyone saw last week saw a huge update for the steam KOTOR2 which add lost content and fixes some stuff. It also integrates perfectly with the restoration mod, which is available through steam workshop.

Its funny, the Courier is written pretty Asexually, like there isn't any romance options or anything in the game, but the writing between Christine and the Courier suggests there's feelings there.