Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
If we're comparing 3D fallouts, it's a moot point though because they're all like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Can't wait for the transition to 4d so we can start getting games in an even-numbered dimension again. Odd-numbered dimensions are for chumps.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I would kill for Fallout 4 with New Vegas' mechanics. I'm not even joking.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Raygereio posted:

The deathclaws overran the quarry just before the game starts. Sure, the NCR has the capability to get rim of the deathclaws if it thinks that's a good investments of its resources.
But it basically didn't have time to do that yet. And if they had, then there's the stuff Eiba mentioned above.

The main problem here is routes to not only trade, but supply your own army. With the deathclaws there, they have to either go through the mountains or go through contested territory. I understand overextension, but supply lines are super important to militaries and trade routes are very important to the people funding the military. At the very least it should have been an NCR quest, but in game they do not give a poo poo that they're crippling themselves.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It just happened, so the NCR may not know the deathclaws are there yet.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Man, the NCR hasn't even gotten its poo poo together enough to clear some giant ants out of the way near one of its larger outposts guarding the last supply line leading into the Mojave. The game could have used more people explicitly mentioned just how bad the NCR is at their jobs I guess, but I thought the fact that the NCR hadn't even gotten off its rear end to even see what was happening near Sloan or the NCRCF was kind of the point.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I could see where New Vegas might not work for people with a congenital inability to notice subtext. Where would the troops to clear the deathclaws come from? The camp in Vegas fighting a campaign against the fiends? The stations having to stay alert lest the Legion pick them off, which happens to one? The base securing contact to the rest of the NCR that's overwhelmed enough they've had to shut down the road and are hunkered down? The dam, which is the front line if anything big goes down? No, it's going to have to rely on outside aid. The world's consistent and provides enough information to see that if you care to look.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

I could see where New Vegas might not work for people with a congenital inability to notice subtext.
There's a lot of those people in the "regular" Fallout 4 thread

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
They pretty clearly state that they are spread thin pretty much everywhere

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ahundredbux posted:

They pretty clearly state that they are spread thin pretty much everywhere

Like "We don't have enough manpower to go kill 4 ants at the crossroads that are halting all caravan activity into the Mohave"

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

xthetenth posted:

I could see where New Vegas might not work for people with a congenital inability to notice subtext. Where would the troops to clear the deathclaws come from? The camp in Vegas fighting a campaign against the fiends? The stations having to stay alert lest the Legion pick them off, which happens to one? The base securing contact to the rest of the NCR that's overwhelmed enough they've had to shut down the road and are hunkered down? The dam, which is the front line if anything big goes down? No, it's going to have to rely on outside aid. The world's consistent and provides enough information to see that if you care to look.

Says the person that didn't notice the explicit statement that they're run thin because of brahmin barons. It's almost like if they were functioning human beings they'd make it important to the barons.

Also, they don't even rely on outside aid and do not react to the player helping them out. But yeah, pretend I don't notice subtext instead of admitting that there's some pretty sloppy writing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Remember too, that the NCR has (mostly) early 19th century transport and resources and the two minute walk from the Quary to Mojave Outpost is in 'reality' like 50+ miles of incredibly hostile and uninhabited desert wasteland.

It's more like the old Wild West and the NCR is the biggest and best organized gang trying to move into the frontier territory with a (comparative) small number of men then something like a modern state.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

It's hard to say if there's really any true "prologue". The main quest is intentionally designed so that you follow an interesting path, having to circle around the long way to Vegas and having to deal with each town to get a clue that lets you move on. If you consider "the real game" to be when the sandbox totally opens and you have ultimate freedom to choose, it's after you deal with the initial Platinum Chip quest. That said, you're not actually boxed in or required to follow the path; a good player can run straight to Vegas by going north from Goodsprings, as long as they can dodge all the dangers along that route.

I always suggest to new players or die-hard storyline roleplayers to follow the plotted line, though. It's structured that way and you miss out on a lot of content if you just try to brute force your way through every shortcut you see.
Yeah I started getting that when it said my next two stops are in a literal loop on the map. But I'm cool with the slow burn if it pays off like it seems it will. Nice to have a story that has some slightly more subtle intrigue to it.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

Remember too, that the NCR has (mostly) early 19th century transport and resources and the two minute walk from the Quary to Mojave Outpost is in 'reality' like 50+ miles of incredibly hostile and uninhabited desert wasteland.

It's more like the old Wild West and the NCR is the biggest and best organized gang trying to move into the frontier territory with a (comparative) small number of men then something like a modern state.

NCR has cars and tanks.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Says the person that didn't notice the explicit statement that they're run thin because of brahmin barons. It's almost like if they were functioning human beings they'd make it important to the barons.
The NCR is spread thin because of its expansionist politics, its economy sill being shaky from the BoS blowing their gold reserves and its military being busy catching its breath from several costly wars.
The brahmin barons have a lot of influence with the NCR's government due to their wealth. But the mess the NCR is in, is a bit more complex then "brahmin barons be evil yo".

Also you seem to be hell bent on ignoring that the whole Quarry Junction mess only started just before the game itself starts. Okay, let's say that convincing some random rich brahmin baron over in Shady Sands will somehow help the situation. That's roughly 300 kilometers away. Do you think being rich gives the brahmin barons magic powers they can use to instantly wish the Deathclaws away?

Nasgate posted:

Also, they don't even rely on outside aid and do not react to the player helping them out. But yeah, pretend I don't notice subtext instead of admitting that there's some pretty sloppy writing.
The Deathclaw problem hasn't gone through the NCR's bureaucracy from the lowly foreman at Sloan, to someone who's both capable of dealing with problem and has the resources avaialble to do so. But if you deal with the Deathclaws you do gain NCR fame, so it's not like it's completely ignored.
And the gameworld in general not being more reactive to the player's action is not a writing problem. It's one of development resources.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 19, 2016

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Nasgate posted:

^ah yes, the old I'm not going to pay attention to actual criticism due to my fanaticism routine. Yes, a broken npc is more memorable than a boring npc, in a good way no, but still more memorable, which was the criteria. Welcome to reading class in 3rd grade.
I started typing a 100% earnest post explaining what actually happened to you, but on the reply page I noticed

quote:

a congenital inability to notice subtext
and, duh, now I get it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

packetmantis posted:

NCR has cars and tanks.
In very, very limited quantities.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
*collapses to knees* drat it's true... A really bad thing can be very memorable, technically, in a bad way... the technically correct poster has done it again...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I would kill for Fallout 4 with New Vegas' mechanics. I'm not even joking.
Except keep the companion wheel, the dialogue system, and no voiced protagonist.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
New Vegas is far from perfect, but it's Very Good and its heart is in the right place, which counts for a huge amount with me.

At least, unlike Fallout 4, it understands that RPGs can be about more then just killing and loot, and it doesn't have an active seething contempt for the players intelligence. :lol:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

achillesforever6 posted:

Except keep the companion wheel, the dialogue system, and no voiced protagonist.

also hardcore mode, also better/deeper character building please. None of this only perk nonsense.

sadly after playing fallout in the new engine it is hard to play the older 3d games visually. The Fallout 4 engine is just so sexy.

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 19, 2016

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I'd love to see some industrious modder put NV in Fallout 4's engine in the same vein as Tale of Two Wastelands. It would probably take a lot more work considering it's running Not-Gamebryo-but-kind-of-is-Gamebryo Creation Engine, but perhaps it's possible!

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

FlyingCheese posted:

I'd love to see some industrious modder put NV in Fallout 4's engine in the same vein as Tale of Two Wastelands. It would probably take a lot more work considering it's running Not-Gamebryo-but-kind-of-is-Gamebryo Creation Engine, but perhaps it's possible!

If memory serves, there are people porting (maybe recreating) Oblivion and even Morrowind to Skyrim, so it's not impossible.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
It's theoretically possible sure, but you'd essentially have to recreate FNV from near scratch to do it, since I doubt you could reuse most of the existing assets without extensively modifying them.

Look at how long it's taken the TTW people to get where they are, and there are a lot more similarities between FO3 and FNV then either share with 4.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Anyone happen to have any spare Fallout 1, 2 and or Tactics keys they weren't using?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So this is happening, apparently. God only knows how well it will run.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
I have been playing NV lately--I'm playing as an energy weapons nerd, and I've noticed that the Van Graff inventory never really changes--I read that there is a bug where the inventory won't refresh unless the character is in the same cell at the specific time/day inventories refresh... no problem, but my question is--when does that happen, exactly? I would just steal everything in the store and move on, but for roleplaying reasons, I'm trying not to steal in this play through.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Nasgate posted:

The plot and its options are teenage DM style and quality, which is better than 4 yes, but it's by no means something to strive for or good quality on its own merits.
the characters are just as lifeless and forgetable as 3/4. I'd actually say more forgetable. 3 had characters easily remembered because of how obnoxious or broken they could be, and 4 makes characters visually distinct.

And lmao, the world where deathclaws can occupy an important quarry, as well as blockade the safest trade route to/from NCR to/from New vegas, and no one does anything is a world that fits together?
People say Bethesda does theme parks, but have you ever been to one? The cool and interesting rides are deep inside, past a bunch of other lesser rides and activities to coerce you to go to those. A lot like how You're expected to follow a specific route to get to New Vegas.

Like, i love New Vegas, but treating it as the peak of gaming when it got beat the year before and the year it came out in various fashions is overzealous. Especially "I have yet to see a game beat New Vegas in terms of enjoyment", like come on, there are tons of games that play better, look better and feel better. And there's even quite a few games that are better written.

Lol, FONV was the fallout game we desired when Fallout 3 was release.

The sad thing is that FONV is still the best Fallout game after Fallout 4 was released.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

tonytheshoes posted:

I have been playing NV lately--I'm playing as an energy weapons nerd, and I've noticed that the Van Graff inventory never really changes--I read that there is a bug where the inventory won't refresh unless the character is in the same cell at the specific time/day inventories refresh
Removing the nolowlevelprocessing flag from Gloria's NPC record should fix this.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Oh, awesome, thanks!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Tenzarin posted:

Lol, FONV was the fallout game we desired when Fallout 3 was release.

The sad thing is that FONV is still the best Fallout game after Fallout 4 was released.

Can someone please point me to a game where the world all 'fits together' in one massive, cohesive ball of flawlessness? I would like to thoroughly explore the deep and rich lore of that game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Can someone please point me to a game where the world all 'fits together' in one massive, cohesive ball of flawlessness? I would like to thoroughly explore the deep and rich lore of that game.

There's never been a point where "Nothing is flawless!" has been a valid response to pointing out that Bethesda's Fallout worlds are lovely theme park attractions where nothing makes sense.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

You are a Crusader, and you have No Remorse!

Also this, a stern warning about drinking!

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 17, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

chitoryu12 posted:

There's never been a point where "Nothing is flawless!" has been a valid response to pointing out that Bethesda's Fallout worlds are lovely theme park attractions where nothing makes sense.

Actually, poo poo, you're right. I kinda walked into that. On the other hand, I actually do want to know about these awesome lore games

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

You are a Crusader, and you have No Remorse!

Get this now from GOG! The game is incredible. And yes to highlight how they knew the player would be a bastard thru the game. The first screen of the first level allows you to burn someone to death with some industrial fire.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Actually, poo poo, you're right. I kinda walked into that. On the other hand, I actually do want to know about these awesome lore games

Witcher 3 is p. good.

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010

Dark Souls?

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Fintilgin posted:

At least, unlike Fallout 4, it understands that RPGs can be about more then just killing and loot, and it doesn't have an active seething contempt for the players intelligence. :lol:

The frightening reality is that Fallout 4 is an earnest attempt at emotionally connecting with their audience.
Bethesda wasted enormous time and resources while critically misunderstanding the appeal of their own games.

Although, your "seething contempt" suggestion may have merit.
Why else would Bethesda be so intent on making the Brotherhood of Steel into knockoff Space Marines?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rex Deckard posted:

Get this now from GOG! The game is incredible. And yes to highlight how they knew the player would be a bastard thru the game. The first screen of the first level allows you to burn someone to death with some industrial fire.

Really enjoyed it when I played it and the sequel(Crusader: No Regret) when I was younger. I rented it on the PS1 but it didn't quite feel the same. After you got a hang of the controls the game became amazing. It had killer music too.

Miss the actor movies in games now.

Also the memories of the gravis gamepad, lol

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

So just this morning I found out about this outfit called Fallout: The Frontier, who are doing this giant mod for NV depicting a NCR/Legion conflict over the icy ruins of Portland, Oregon. They released a trailer recently and...holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nenXX9wQRY