Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Dead Money breaking perks: Them's Good Eating and Fortune Finder. Sierra Madre chips count as money and Ghost People count as living things. Take Rad Child and get high rad poisoning before going in for insane auto-healing. Stroll casually through the Cloud at your leisure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I like Dead Money but I dislike that you don't get any normal guns save the Police revolver for quite a while into it. The Holorifle is cool, but I've seldom played a game where I was heavy on energy weapons.

Still, my first playthrough I was fist weapons all the way so my first encounter with a ghost person had me punching his head clear off his shoulders.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Dead Money breaking perks: Them's Good Eating and Fortune Finder. Sierra Madre chips count as money and Ghost People count as living things. Take Rad Child and get high rad poisoning before going in for insane auto-healing. Stroll casually through the Cloud at your leisure.

Don't forgot Light Step so you ignore those near-invisible bear traps!

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
With the proper skill levels the Clean Cosmic Knife special attack and the Beartrap Fist Cross move do like 5x limb damage so that's a good way to trivialize Ghost People, who instantly die when a limb is crippled. Too bad that the game doesn't explicitly explain what the different VATS special moves do and you have to consult a wiki to know that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Weapon damage doesn't change based on your level but enemy health does, so go into Dead Money at low level, pick up a cosmic knife and just wail on ghost people with it, they'll explode into chunks in a second

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
JSawyer players: Beyond the version of the mod on Sawyer's own website (which was last updated in September 2012), there are a few other more recently-updated copycats/updates/remakes. It looks like JSawyer Ultimate Edition is the most popular of the remakes, but is that or Sawyer's actual mod generally considered a better JSawyer experience? Does it really matter?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
As far as I can tell, Ultimate Edition just re-implements JSawyer.esp stuff with cleaner scripting and better compatibility. When in doubt, though, always check with FOEdit or the GECK. It's a pain in the rear end, but it's the best way to know what's going on in the mod.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Malpais Legate posted:

I like Dead Money but I dislike that you don't get any normal guns save the Police revolver for quite a while into it. The Holorifle is cool, but I've seldom played a game where I was heavy on energy weapons.
The DLC points you to the police station first where you can pick up the automatic rifle.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just go in barehanded with perks to match. I went in barehanded on the run that took me months to muster up the oomph to finish, and was murdering Ghost People without a problem. I also beat Dean Domino to death with my bare hands, and Father Elijah. :feelsgood:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

As far as I can tell, Ultimate Edition just re-implements JSawyer.esp stuff with cleaner scripting and better compatibility. When in doubt, though, always check with FOEdit or the GECK. It's a pain in the rear end, but it's the best way to know what's going on in the mod.

Okay, nevermind, I did check that page and the author seemed to implement/add a lot of unnecessary changes that don't really come from Jsawyer. Wish a changelog was part of it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Okay, nevermind, I did check that page and the author seemed to implement/add a lot of unnecessary changes that don't really come from Jsawyer. Wish a changelog was part of it.

Is this what you're looking for?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is there something not-good in that changelog? Looks pretty awesome to me.

edit: Holy moly it adds sprint AND bullet time?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It does! I actually started up a TTW game with this last night and it's going great. All I needed to do was get a grenade hotkey mod and I was able ditch project Nevada entirely which is great to me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If anyone out there hasn't played New Vegas with Bullettime instead of VATS, I urge you to try it. So much fun.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
How To Kill Ghost People 101: High Unarmed and Bear Trap Fist :getin: Legion Assault was insanely good at crippling minimum one limb in one punch.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Jesus, whoever said OWB enemies are bullet sponges at high Courier levels wasn't kidding. I really wish I'd checked out the midnight showing earlier on just to save I'm now spending plinking away at Securitrons and robot scorpions.

On the bright side, the writing is hilarious. I can only imagine it was even moreso if you played it back before the Internet had beaten the dead horse of "SCIENCE!!1" gags down to the molecular level.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Johnny Landmine posted:

Jesus, whoever said OWB enemies are bullet sponges at high Courier levels wasn't kidding. I really wish I'd checked out the midnight showing earlier on just to save I'm now spending plinking away at Securitrons and robot scorpions.

On the bright side, the writing is hilarious. I can only imagine it was even moreso if you played it back before the Internet had beaten the dead horse of "SCIENCE!!1" gags down to the molecular level.

Honestly it's really not all that much better. You're trading out their super high health for going in with less powerful equipment / not having a lot of ammo stocked up. I had a low level character go there as the first DLC straight up get stuck there because I just couldn't buy / make enough ammo in order to actually make my way through. I just kinda deleted her and started over.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Embrace the Proton Axe.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

2house2fly posted:

Embrace the Proton Axe.

I went into Old World Blues with a guns skill of 100, several hundred rounds of .308 JSP, and a melee of 16. I came out half naked, covered in blood, and hefting the mighty Proton Inversal Axe above my head.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

2house2fly posted:

Embrace the Proton Axe.

Yeah the Proton Axe will make life a lot easier against the roboscorpions. Holorifle is great for the slower/more distant enemies.

I enjoyed OWB a lot more the second time through when I figured that out running away is a the best idea a lot of times because of the constantly respawning Nightstalkers and lobotomites

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It always seemed to me that each of the DLC's was meant to reward certain builds and punish others for being over specialized. Dead Money rewards the workbench, speechcraft, stealth, and VATS characters while punishing run-n-gun and Hi-Tech ones.
Old World Blues rewards melee, energy weapons, explosives and Science builds while punishing stealth, bullet using, and survival and has little in the way of merchant/speechcraft checks. Honest Hearts Is all about survival, bullets, talking, and taking perks that target certain conditions and enemy types while making it difficult for those with low strength/endurance and rely on energy weapons or big guns. Lonesome Road finally is all about explosives heavy armor and big guns while not being very good for stealth or smaller weapons.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

It's *mostly* good, but it contains bizzarre changes like the Varmint Rifle restoration. "It was originally intended to do X" is not a good reason when a big part of game development is iteration, and I wish modders realized that.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Keith Atherton posted:

I enjoyed OWB a lot more the second time through when I figured that out running away is a the best idea a lot of times because of the constantly respawning Nightstalkers and lobotomites

abusing the hell out of pushy to keep enemies at arm's length while i run away has been my main tactic for owb for multiple runs now

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

If anyone out there hasn't played New Vegas with Bullettime instead of VATS, I urge you to try it. So much fun.

Is there a good mod that makes VATS-only perks actually do something for bullet time

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StashAugustine posted:

Is there a good mod that makes VATS-only perks actually do something for bullet time

Could have sworn that Project Nevada does this, but its been a while.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Could have sworn that Project Nevada does this, but its been a while.

Yeah, PN makes Commando and Gunslinger increase your accuracy in Bullet Time along with VATS. I'm not sure if it effects the other VATS perks like Grim Reaper's Sprint, though.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Math Wrath: Reduced AP costs for bullet time
Grim Reaper's Sprint: Regain AP for bullet time kills
Commando: Improved accuracy with two-handed weapons during bullet time
Gunslinger: Improved accuracy with one-handed weapons during bullet time

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It's hard to explain why, but people moving super slowly vs standing perfectly still is just so much more awesome.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Bullet Time is also super-helpful for sniping fools, especially ones that have weird pathing and move around a bunch. Plus, it's always cool to see a guy's head explode in slow-motion.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Can you talk down Oliver with Barter on an independent run? All I got was speech checks. I accidentally killed a few NCR guys if that makes a difference

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm 99% certain that with Independent you just get speech. If you're with House you get Barter and science.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Why bother with Speech when you can throw him off the dam?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Does it actually matter if you talk him down or not for independent? I don't remember there being a different ending for that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Ropekid streamed NV for Extra Life:
https://www.twitch.tv/obsidian/v/100606816?t=6h47m

Haven't had the time to watch it myself yet

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Starts at 6:50. Notably he said that they're planning on doing a historical game after his current project

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

*e

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

ugh why didn't i settle on a mod arrangement before getting two hours into a new game

also why is it so hard to make a good John Wayne face

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Its easier if you pick someone with a beard, like Big Boss or something

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why is this thread not called Old Threat Blues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Rinkles posted:

Ropekid streamed NV for Extra Life:
https://www.twitch.tv/obsidian/v/100606816?t=6h47m

Haven't had the time to watch it myself yet

This is great. Watching him hack the computers gave me hypertension though.