Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I hate to interrupt this discussion, which is fascinating- the fact that it enables this sort of conversation is a huge part of why I love New Vegas- but I've finally got around to the DLCs and after killing Dr Mobius in Old World Blues, I'm getting CTDs about 50% of the time when I fast travel, even after returning to the Mojave. Anybody else had this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

gohuskies posted:

Turn off auto-save on fast travel.

I'm running CASM so I guess I should do that anyway. :doh: Thanks!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I really wanted to explain to Daniel how giving the raiders what they want just teaches them that to keep demanding things. I was disappointed to see "let's just give them the land we've always lived on and assume they won't follow us" treated as something that an otherwise intelligent-seeming person would propose.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Also he's Danny Trejo.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Fission batteries can put out energy basically forever, so I don't see why it would be a problem to use them.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The car in Fallout 2 runs on Microfusion Cells, so "the cars all run on volatile atomic power sources" is hardly a stretch.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

After Lanius meeting Graham is kind of "...him?"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

"Wild Wasteland" was definitely the right way to do it, though I'd prefer it be togglable instead of a Trait.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I've discovered that my favorite thing in New Vegas is .50 MG Explosive. It combines all the excellence of a dude getting killed by an enormous bullet with all the excitement of his body exploding with the force of a grenade, killing all his friends. And it's a bullet, so you don't even have to time it like a grenade!

It's taken the Anti-Materiel Rifle from "best gun ever!" to "why do I even carry anything else?"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Riso posted:

Fallout 3 is the Deus Ex: Invisible War to New Vegas Deus Ex.

Woah, woah there. Invisible War was unplayably bad. FO3 isn't as good as New Vegas, but I still plowed about a hundred hours into it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

It was kind of cheesy, but I liked the head vampire guy. He was taking a bunch of degenerate cannibals and giving them a purpose and a reason to exist, and in the meantime making them less dangerous to everybody else.

E: Also you could murder him for an easy early Shishkabob.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 12, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Momomo posted:

Speaking of Pip Boys, one of the loading screen tips mentions turning the light off if you're doing stealth. I've also seen someone mention you have a flashlight, but... I've looked everywhere and haven't found either of these things. There doesn't seem to be any button on the Pip Boy itself, and the controls don't have a button for flashlight. Can anyone help with this?

Hold down the Pip-Boy button for a few seconds to toggle your light.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I've done Old World Blues and Honest Hearts, and at the end of Honest Hearts, my reaction was "...huh?" It felt like I finished it almost as soon as I got there.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

rvdleun posted:

Any chance you killed a certain dude at the start, a bunch of 'mission failed' messages popped up, and you were told to fetch a map?

I actually hit him with a .50MG explosive and he somehow managed to shake it off. Maybe I actually hit the guy in front of him.

I just felt like, okay, I did a couple of quests and now everybody's left the area and I guess I could look around and not have anybody to meet or talk to?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I didn't kill Follows-Chalk; he lived through my attack.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I'd have loved OWB if it had been designed by somebody who doesn't hate me for playing a sneaky sniper. Or if it had included ammo for guns actually worth shooting (5.56? Are they assuming I brought the Bozar?). Or...

You know, I guess I love the writing and the quest design and the voice acting, and hate the actual mechanical bits.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The only issue with GRA is that most of the guns it adds have ridiculous prices which are completely disconnected from the actual utility of the gun. If you've got a lot of Barter and you're constantly hustling for caps, it's not such a thing, but otherwise most of the GRA weapons are things you'll be long past having a use for by the time you can afford them.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Snoop Rocket posted:

Question:

I did the quest where you have to stand guard outside the Van Graff store with that Simon guy and...accidentally let a guy in, who subsequently suicide-bombed the building, killing everyone inside.

Since I'm running off of autosave only, and now its too late to reload, how hosed am I? Am I going to be missing a lot of content or cool stuff without them? Or was the loot inside the only thing worth interacting with them for?

There's a questline in there where you work with them, but the big important thing, if you deal with Companions, is that Cass's quest, "Heartache by the Number", ends with you either killing Gloria or having her jailed.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Snoop Rocket posted:

Oh...well...Meh. I'm happy with the perfect condition Laser/Plasma rifles and free MF cells I got out of it.

I feel bad for having to kill Simon though :(

I'm not sure, but the van Graffs having been blown to bits may count as completion for that part of the quest anyway.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Is it possible to recruit and get the quests of all the companions in one playthrough? I'm having a devil of a time getting Arcade to give me his quest- I should, going by the wiki, have more than enough trust points, but he never offers.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Marked Men are a pain in the loving rear end to kill.

And apparently I'm not allowed to use my beloved .50 MG Explosive- ever since I entered the Divide, it's been greyed out in the PIP-Boy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Is it uh, broken? I'll try that combo and see if it helps, the Red Glare isn't really helping me.

It's an ammo. I can't equip it for some reason.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

redmercer posted:

I usually just cycle through ammo types with the 2 key; does that skip your explosive rounds?

I always favored Match rounds for clean removal of Deathclaw heads at range.

Also, what's your favorite way to kill Kimball? I just used up a pile of frag mines left over from OWB and launched him back up to the helipad :haw:

Yep. Regular, Ap, Inc.

The introduction of the Deathclaws on the High Road had me panicking, which was great.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Father Wendigo posted:

You are using a (GRA) Anti-Material Rifle, right?

Oh, yeah. Just can't equip the Explosive ammo since I started Lonesome Road.

I should fast-travel out to see if it's just in LR or not, but whatever, I'm enjoying LR too much to stop.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Dealt with Ulysses and back in the Mojave, and I still can't use my .50MG Explosive. What the hell?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

fennesz posted:

Moira was a person but now she's a ghoul! :buddy:

Sarah Lyons shoots things really good!

That one BoS guy died! It sad!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Yeah, but he tells you to clear out the Jefferson Memorial by yourself even if your combat skills are inferior to said scientists.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Speedball posted:

I'd like to meet Mr. Bishop in the games sometime, maybe Fallout 4. He could be a background character or an antagonist, but he could potentially be a companion too, since we know that he likes to wander the wastes as much as stay at home in New Reno.

Mr. Bishop has given you the Perk: Goons

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

It's like game developers said "woah, cool" when Manderly yelled at them for going in the women's bathroom, and then proceeded as if it never happened.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The Elevator was easy, but Implant GRX makes a lot of things easy.

Is it normal, as your level climbs into the high 40s, for everything to slow down all the time? My lower-level characters don't have this problem, but it seems like everything, from loading to opening containers, takes ages on my 48 character.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Raul Tejada + A Light Shining In Darkness = Holy poo poo, man.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

rope kid posted:

Raul with Old Vaquero and Medicine Stick is an unstoppable force.

I have no idea why, but I never seem to get around to rescuing poor Raul.

I wish his quest was more than "get some dialogue choices right the first time", at least as far as I can tell. Dragged him all over the wastes to see the people he needed to see, was supportive, then it just ended and he didn't get a perk.

E: I need a life.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Oh, I was complaining about being unable to use my .50MG Explosive? I screwed around with my mods a bit and I believe it was the companion ammo .esp's that come with RobCo Certified, in case anybody else is having the same issue.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I'm into Dead Money now, and goddamn. I understand why the other DLCs have their scaling- if you're high-level, you've got enough bullets for everybody. But Dead Money not only gives you horrible bullet sponges, it takes away all your loving ammo so that there's no point in using projectile weapons. I've heard people say that it's supposed to be survival horror-ish, and I'd be down for that, except I can't even run away from the loving things because my companion- and you'd be stupid not to keep one with you, especially Dean or Christine- won't.

E: If you're going to take away my ammo and scale up enemy health, you need to give me more loving ammunition.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 18, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I keep hoping for a "get ammo for chips code" but I haven't found any yet.

It's like Old-World Blues. Love the atmosphere and the writing, reeeeally not a fan of the game mechanics. Am I going to gently caress myself somehow if I cheat some .308 into my inventory?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I dislike the GRA weapons having absurd prices because it means that I have to play like an obsessive hoarder every time. Sometimes, yeah, I've got 175K caps when I hit 50, but I shouldn't have to do that EVERY time.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

SlightlyMadman posted:

Yeah, it's really taking the fun out of the game for me. If there's no potential benefit from doing so, by being able to find cool stuff, I have no motivation to go out and explore. I also have no real motivation to complete the quests because they're so drat tedious. I've been struggling to pick the game back up after that quest with the hooker at Gomorrah's where I ran back and forth between there and the Vault for about an hour before she finally told me I didn't have a high enough speech skill to complete the quest.

What's the quickest way to skip to the end of the game without having to slog through more of that crap?

Only do the bare minimum for Yes Man.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Dead Money has been setting off the "You know, I really did enjoy Bioshock" bits of my brain. Goddamn do I hate the speakers, though. "Guess where we hid x!" is generally my least favorite thing in video games.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

gently caress you, Elijah! Leaving him trapped in that loving vault was immensely satisfying.

Now I've got a different problem. I did Dead Money in the middle of doing that quest where you convince the Great Khans to back the NCR. Now, whenever I go back to Red Rock Canyon, some of the Khans attack me on sight- Jerry the Punk is annoying enough (I'm trying to help you, rear end in a top hat!), but if Papa Khan sees me, he starts shooting, and then everybody starts shooting.

Any suggestions on what I've done wrong here, or how I can fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

My first thought about OWB was "holy poo poo, this is so Venture Brothers", and then... James Urbaniak !!

And then all the terrible 50's scifi I watched as a kid kept coming to mind as I explored the place.