Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So now that you can easily max out your stats by level 50 what happens if you do max everything and level up again? I remember there being a bug in 3 where you couldn't leave the screen until you spent them all.

IIRC you can just hit E or Esc and leave the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

In my opinion the final battle in the base game does not. Unless you side with the legion then it's pretty equal.

I kind of hate the final battle because the interior of the dam- I mean, even if it's realistically what the interior of a drat looks like, because I have no idea- is a mess of wide empty samey spaces and confusing turns and just way too enormous to be all that fun to fight in. Once you're up on the dam, it's a bit better, but even then the Legion invasion force is surprisingly small in number, and the Legate's camp is all but deserted. I wanted a harder fight, dammit!

That said, finally getting the Enclave Remnants back together and being joined by Cannibal Johnson was pretty sweet. Shame he died so fast.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Orange Crush Rush posted:

That's kind of odd because everytime I brought the Remnats back Cannibal Johnson rips everything a new rear end in a top hat and makes all the fighting trivial. Although I never did side with the Legion be maybe that's why, I can imagine the Ranger Vets are a lot tougher.

The Enclave showed up once I hit the far side of the Dam (this was an NCR run- oddly, sometime after I hit Idolized, my rep seemed to keep resetting occasionally and I kept hitting Accepted over and over again) and Johnson accompanied me into the Legate's Camp area (zone? cell?). Two guys rushed us; I shot one down, and the other got to Johnson and wrecked him before I could kill him.

Speaking of the final battle, what weapons do people use there? I found myself getting a ton of mileage out of the 12.7mm SMG and This Machine loaded with AP. My usual MO on that run was to blow the poo poo out of things from a long distance with the AMR, but the Dam, despite its open spaces, isn't great for that, especially since the Legion attacks within the dam mostly take the form of a bunch of guys pouring through a door as you approach it.

I did go into the lower level of the dam in search of the door to the base so I could do whatever that engineer outside Oliver's office wanted me to do, but I couldn't find it, so I satisfied myself with loading up the AMR with Explosive rounds and the Suppressor mod and using my ridiculous sneak skill to blow up rooms of invading legionaries.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

redmercer posted:

You'll be rolling a new character in a few days, probably.

I'm on playthrough 4 and have only now talked to Boone for the first time; and I was pleasantly surprised to see that right after I did I could ask the next guy I talked to to come look at something with me out in front of the dinosaur.

You monster!

After you find out who actually did it, they turn out to really, really deserve it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I was extremely annoyed that I couldn't tell Veronica or Christine about each other.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I have to admit that it would have never occurred to me that you could have sex with Sarah Weintraub.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

redmercer posted:

You would not believe my disappointment when I couldn't hit on Easy Pete as a confirmed bachelor. Far as I'm concerned he has no business calling himself "easy".

According to ropekid this is a total lie, his original name was "Easy But With Standards" Pete, but that produced issues with the display of Living Anatomy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I gathered the stuff to fix the food processor once and was pissed off when I discovered that there's basically no reward for it. I spent a couple of hours searching for those parts and got like a handful of caps for it, if memory serves.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I really like CONELRAD 640-1240, which is all music from Atomic Platters, RobCo Certified, which lets you "fix" robots that you've destroyed and lead them as your army, Portable Tent, which gives you some extra carry weight (if you choose to enable that) and also gives you a portable hole that you can stash stuff in if you want. Portable Tent is also great because the item costs money and can only give you so much extra carry weight- it's unbalanced, but it's not just "you can carry anything and sleep anywhere".

Also, if you miss getting Perks all the time, [http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34707]Perk Every Level[/url] is for you.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Is there some reason GRA weapons still use iron sights even after you turn True Iron Sights off? I find TIS incredibly annoying, but even weapons which are just GRA versions of vanilla weapons (the GRA Laser Pistol in this case) take up half your drat screen even without TIS on.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

A new spreading species of plants, carrying Harold's consciousness, disperses across the wastes...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

"Here's a machine gun that fires .357! And a little bit of ammo! These are the last .357 bullets you'll be seeing for several hours!"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I liked God. He was a prick, but he seemed to have a pretty good reason, and he was willing to work with me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

On a recent playthrough I got idolized with NCR, then as I kept gaining NCR Fame I got "Accepted" notifications about 5-6 times later.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Mojave Music Radio - Extended has a ton of old-school country.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

A King ran up to me and gave me a potato. At least in Megaton they used to give me stimpacks and ammo.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

doggiebiscuit posted:

A point that needs to be made is that an actor's ability to emote and understand subtext is critical to good voiced dialogue, and actually delivers something that meaningful text alone or synthesized voice actors can't bring to the table.

Good point! On the other hand, the history of video game voice acting by humans.

That's overly sharp, I guess- some games have had excellent acting, and some games with mostly bad acting have had some good actors. But overall the state of video game voice acting is pisspoor, and a lot of the time it almost seems like the creators don't care. Sunny Smiles is a great example. She's likely the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th person you talk to in New Vegas (depending on whether or not you talk to Victor or Easy Pete) and her voice actress is loving awful. She sounds bored. This isn't just annoying because it's bad acting, it's annoying because it's obvious that nobody cared enough to say "Look, pretend you care about what's going on or we'll hire somebody else" and this is for the character who is showing you how the game works. Of all the people to be voiced by somebody who doesn't seem to care or be able to emote in the least, Sunny Smiles is an atrocious choice to fall down on.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

I still think Fallout set in New Orleans would be awesome. Hillbillies, rude accents, booze, jazz, irradiated swamplands, huge gators, French colonel types and a few wastelanders who just want to hold onto the old timey freedoms of New Orleans. I know it's a little bit like NV with the whole vice thing, but it would be pretty fresh and you could do some neat poo poo with the whole area from the coast to New Orleans to Lafayette.

I am suddenly very excited about this.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Urgh. My Fallout dream is always to like, hang out, maybe explore a busted out supermarket, repair some old persons treasured [item] if you feel inclined, casually kill someone over the matter of six bottlecaps. You know. Fallout poo poo.

I was always so disappointed that there weren't any dangerous places in FO3 that were as cool as that supermarket.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

"Let's have a town where they eat outsiders!" *puts two houses next to each other, calls it a day*

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I think it's mostly the fact that Fallout's number 1 influence is Mad Max.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Wild Wasteland is the "I liked the occasional silly poo poo in FO2" trait, and not taking it is for people who liked the more serious tone of FO1.

Or for people who want the YCS-186.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I just can't see giving Boone anything other than an Anti-Materiel Rifle. poo poo just dies.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Sam. posted:

This Machine.

No way, that's MINE.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

If you're doing the Yes Man ending, yeah, give the chip to House before you kill him.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I just plain prefer how guns "feel" in NV. Lasers don't hit very hard, plasma's annoyingly inaccurate even at high levels of EW skill, and the Gauss Rifle is extremely keen but it's one weapon to dump all those skill points into EW to use.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

robot roll call posted:

I wouldn't know. I vaporized everyone in the tent with plasma grenades and a riot shotgun.

I save all my Turbo for murdering Caesar. You have no idea how happy the turbo implant perk from OWB made me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

/\/\ Never played a House playthrough, huh?

This is the best example of "whoosh" I've seen in awhile. A meta-"whoosh".

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Astroturf Man posted:

Terrifying presence should have given you some sort of combat bonus, like if you kill a couple of enemies in a short period of time there's a chance that their allies will flee or similar.

If I'm able to kill a couple of them quickly, they're not much of a threat, and why would I want them to flee? That's precious loot they're carrying!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Fibby Boy posted:

On the topic of terrifying presence, when I first saw the perk I was really excited for it because I thought, for some reason, that the perk just let you scream at anybody you felt like just to scare em, effectively demoralizing them.

I was so sad when I got the perk and that wasn't the case.

Now I'm waiting for the mod that makes the Courier the Dovahkiin.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Speedball posted:

Didn't the manual for Fallout 2 have a bunch of recipes in the back? Good times...

I got Fallout 1 and 2 in a double jewelcase pack for $10, then shelled out for a second copy of Fallout 2 because I wanted that sweet, sweet manual.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The one issue I have with VATS as an "I don't play shooters" thing is that you really don't have enough AP to replace actually shooting at things with VATS.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I felt like Dead Money had a real linearity/corridors issue- while you're sometimes given a choice of which order to accomplish certain things in, you're accomplishing a particular set of objectives, and moving through a fairly linear path to accomplish them (I mean, especially early on you can wander off, but there's a path that leads where you're going, and you'll need to find it), and it gets much, much worse as it progresses. The whole "stay away from speakers or they'll explode you" mechanic annoyed the hell out of me, especially since in many cases it was a matter of "figure out what totally clever hiding place we came up with in a limited time or die", and the last set of rooms before the bunker were extremely painful and annoying.

Also the holographic projectors can stupidly be anywhere, even places that make no goddamned sense based on where the holograms are. It would've made perfect sense to be able to find the projectors by observing the holograms and deducing the location of the projectors from where they were able to project; instead they might as well have called them "generators" or "security nodes" because there is basically no correlation between the location of the projector and the location of the hologram other than they tend to be reasonably close by, usually hidden away someplace.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

While it makes no sense story-wise, it would have been interesting to see Dead Money take place in a wooded environment like a remote, Tahoe-style gambling resort. First off, you get the lovely trope of hunter-hunted in the remote wilderness. Also, you give the player the ability to stalk around and find their own paths to objectives, rather than being forced into combat because virtually every hallway has ghost people.

Rather than choking everything outside with poisonous smog, it could have been in fixed pockets (like radiation) or a time-based threat (like blowing in at night, forcing you to find interior cover before it arrived.) Imagine how interesting it would be to have this place inhabited by feral ghost people, who ring bells and set off sirens when the smog approaches (sort of like Silent Hill.) They then begin their midnight hunts, excitedly prowling the smog in search of anybody foolish enough to become trapped in it.

Rather than having to avoid the smog entirely, you could eventually find respirators that protect you from the poison so that you can achieve objectives at a time when the ghost people are out hunting (as opposed to day time, when the smog is less of a threat but the ghost people are more active within the resort's various buildings.) Even a crude day/night ghost people and environmental hazards dynamic would have been interesting and encouraged a variety of play-styles.

I really, really want to play "Cream-of-Plenty presents Dead Money".

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

rope kid posted:

Oops, bad link. Same with this one:

It's interesting to me to look at that little leg extending up I-69 off of Indianapolis; for some reason, it was apparently important to nuke Anderson and Muncie. Although Anderson used to be a serious GM town, so I suppose that's what you'd be targeting.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

So am I to understand that the whole nuclear armageddon thing wouldn't really happen? Is it because no one is capable of launching their missiles capable of destroying earth ten times over or what?

You can't really destroy the world with existing nuclear arsenals, but you can make large parts of it hostile to human life.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I love the concept that you can, as a content designer, openly hate one of the major mechanics (sneaking), and management is just like "Oh, okay, whatever."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

SporkTSI posted:

Is the Mark of Caesar broken? I keep trying to get to the Fort, but these Legion assholes will have none of it. My relationship is neutral with them, and I've dismissed Boone and ED-E, and taken off my First Recon Beret.

What can I do to keep them from lighting me up? The thought of clearing the fort on very hard+hardcore is not too appealing.

Also, hot drat the Service Rifle owns. It's great for prettt much everything, and ammo is easy to find make. It's even better with the upgraded springs, which is really helpful since I'm also going through with no VATS.

Check to make sure you're not wearing NCR armor. I had a hell of a time awhile back with the Khans because I forgot I was wearing NCR ranger armor.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Also, Caesar's Legion isn't Rome, it's a fascist slaving outfit styling itself after Rome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Niggard of Oz posted:

Is there a difference between Int 1-3 dialogue wise? Do you get to say more retarded things with Int 1 than Int 3?

As far as I'm aware there's no dialogue difference at all in INT unfortunately.

The thing with the NCR is that while the NCR is pretty clearly bogged down, I feel like we're more told than shown as to why this is happening (NCR bureaucratic nonsense and political stuff being the given reason). I suppose in a game like this it's hard to really show that, especially since the game is set on the front and not in the rear where the decisions are being made, but McCarran could've been used as a setting where decisions are being made and the political structure of the NCR is being shown. Perhaps a General could've been quartered there, and you could have a quest where his subordinates are serving their own political ends (both back home and in the NCR military), and he asks you to look into why his orders aren't as effective as they should be. You could see the NCR bureaucracy first-hand and either decide that the system is flawed but better than the autocracy of Ceasar's Legion or that the NCR's bureaucratic structure makes it too weak to survive or something like that. As it is, we keep hearing about how the NCR is a bureaucratic clusterfuck but we never really see it up close.