Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Fallout 3 has Liam Neeson as your dad, therefore it cannot by any metric be bad. That said, New Vegas is still better.

Why do goons and gamers seem to have so much trouble with the concept "not as good as ≠ bad".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Why can't people think FO3 is bad? NMA over reacted and they judged before playing it, but that doesn't mean anyone else who thinks it was bad is just an NMA troll.

Because it's not an objectively bad game. Not doing what you (not you specifically) wanted the game to do does not make it bad.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

I don't want to pump it up, but it's a lot better and you will have a loads of fun so long as you are true to Caesar.

Look at this barbarian, pissing on the Bear Flag like that. Shame on you.

:ca:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm a California native. I just adore the idea of my state running the world (it would be a disaster IRL). I was doomed to be an NCR patriot even before I'd heard of Fallout.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I liked Point Lookout actually, maybe it was just because I liked Desmond. Plus the nifty double barrel it added. The loving bullet sponge enemies were a terrible pain in the rear end though.

Operation Anchorage was pretty awesome, especially the sneaking stuff at the beginning. Although I couldn't help thinking how much better it would've been with the OWB Stealth Suit.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
OK now I've got a new frustrating bug! For some reason the game refuses to play radio station music on my Pipboy. I can hear it fine from background radios, but all I get on the Pipboy is Mr. New Vegas reading news and announcing songs.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Seriously does anyone know how to fix this drat no music bug? The game won't play any music at all. Every other sound works great but no music.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Well I solved the music problem. Turns out it was a codec problem, not the game itself. One new codec install later and I'm immediately greeted by Johnny loving Guitar.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xik posted:

Really? How strange. What codec did you have to install to get it to work?

Pretty strange that the game would require a third party codec to play MP3 files.

K-Lite Basic. Dunno why it worked either.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Death by Cranes posted:

I read somewhere (this thread probably) that you can talk with Tabitha - this means there might be a peaceful way out?

..or maybe I just making stuff up. I like shooting mutants, always have liked it.

Fix Rhonda before you meet her and she just leaves.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Elendil004 posted:

I never plan on returning to DM, anything I should make sure I dont miss?

The Holorifle. God help me I love the Holorifle almost as much as I love This Machine.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
You can tip Brahmin?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If there's a Fallout set in New York, there has to be a Beneath the Planet of the Apes community living underground and worshiping a big ol' nuclear missile.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Moira was cool, what are you talking about.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Every Fallout game needs a crazy Minnesotan quest-giver/store owner.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's something funny (and kinda touching in a silly way) about how one of the most successful experimental vaults was the one filled with compulsive gamblers.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Coughing Hobo posted:

This isn't a SPECIAL or trait recommendation, but take lots of drugs all the time. Be the Hunter S Thompson of the Mojave Wasteland.

But the game won't let me shoot myself to death.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

50 Foot Ant posted:

Load Boone up with HE or Inc rounds for the AMR and watch everything on the screen die.

Boone's a goddamn killing machine.

He's the last thing you'll never see.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I did Daniel's version of HH once to get the achievement. Every other time I tell him to pack sand and go all Psalm 137 with Joshua.

I wish Obsidian had been able to give Caesar some sort of special reaction to me showing up at the Fort in the Burned Man's armor.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SeanBeansShako posted:

I considering for a laugh making a Doctor Quinn medicine woman sort of character once.

I assume you abandoned the idea because you couldn't get the character to look as hot as Jane Seymour, right?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AXE COP posted:

Thinking about it, could you pickpocket ALSID onto Benny at the Tops, then get it back off him when he turns up at the Fort? Or would gamebryo's weirdness not let that work?

Nothing could possibly persuade me to give up ALSID. Not ever. It is never leaving my side.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Check the Challenges section on your Pip-Boy. They're all in there and you can keep track of them too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Francois Kofko posted:

For about two lines. Then you kill every last one of those fuckers

Why would you want to kill off a faction that dresses like Curtis LeMay fanboys and whose goal in life is to drop explosives on people from a B-29?

Seriously my granddad was a SAC man so I feel like a kindred spirit of the Boomers.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Speedball posted:

Rene Auberjonois puts in such a great performance as House, too. The guy oozes clean, sharp cunning.

I would give a lot to see House and Andrew Ryan having lunch together.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Popoi posted:

I think this is as close as we're going to get:

And now you know why I wanted to see that :ssh:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ddraig posted:

Siding with Joshua seemed like the logical conclusion to the story and by far the most satisfying, even if it was a bitter victory.

A lot of people rip on Honest Hearts but I think the rather tragic story is very well done.

Yeah, Honest Hearts is easily my favorite of the DLC stories because Joshua and Daniel and the Survivalist are such well-drawn characters and their stories are legitimately compelling.

Plus it gives me one of my favorite video game weapons ever.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

redmercer posted:

Presumably his next move after Boulder Dam is a great push to Oakland

The only man who can save the NCR now is Al Davis.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rope kid posted:

Because Benny used a nine milli. Maybe he shoulda used a REAL gun.

:smugdog:

This is why I always do Honest Hearts first.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sam. posted:

This Machine.

Much as Boone is my Wasteland Bro, I keep This Machine for myself. He can have the Survivalist's Rifle.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rope kid posted:

Only during a few rare periods of history has gold been a consumed good (and typically in small quantities). It's uncommon, somewhat difficult to counterfeit, easy to divide and transport, durable, etc.

NCR's currency is (inflated) fiat currency. Caps are water-backed by merchants in the Hub (which works reasonably well due to the Hub's distance from natural sources of fresh water). Legion denarii and aurei aren't backed by silver and gold; they are silver and gold.

By the way, Vili Lehdonvirta, a Finnish dude from the London School of Economics, gave a great talk at GDC about good currency and bad currency, and how designing "bad" currency can create interesting gameplay effects, especially in a social/multiplayer environment.

That's really interesting, what Lehdonvirta say exactly?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rope kid posted:

Also, here are the slides from my New Vegas-oriented GDC talk:

http://twofoldsilence.diogenes-lamp.info/2012/03/do-say-right-thing-choice-architecture.html

That's a fantastic read, thanks!

Honestly I think it should be required (or possibly enforced at gunpoint) reading for certain game designers.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rope kid posted:

I am still at Obsidian.

Thank heavens. Sorry about your project getting cancelled, Jesus that must be like getting a knife through the heart.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Did rope kid ever say if The Divide is supposed to correspond with an actual part of the area west of the Mojave?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I was sleeping in the rusty camper trailer by Goodsprings Source and he showed up when I woke up. I guess he waited all night to talk to me. Creepy bastard.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lord Lambeth posted:

There's a player home in novac?

this loving game

Make sure you rent a room at the hotel in Novac right before you let Boone aerate the owner's head.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lord Lambeth posted:

It's showing how truly terrible the suburbs of DC really are.

This I can absolutely believe.

I just wish Fallout 3 had included a nod to the greatest place in the entire DC area.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Momomo posted:

So I never played Fallout 3, and people have mentioned New Vegas has a few real life locations on the map, is 3 the same in this way? I lived in DC a large chunk of my life, so it'd be cool to see what they did with the area.

Not as many, sadly. Mostly the touristy landmarks like the Washington Monument.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Aww poo poo, I did something that broke Boone's recruitment quest and he absolutely refuses to shoot that bitch who sold his wife. drat it Boone, I've been walking her out in front of the drat dinosaur about a dozen times, shoot her already!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, I'm wearing the poo poo out of the drat beret but he still won't shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

thrakkorzog posted:

How far away from the Dino are you taking her? If you're standing right outside the fence it won't work. Boone's trying to make it look like an accidental shooting. Try taking her over to the bridge past the Dino. Also, make sure it's at night when Boone is on his shift.

Well that explains it, she keeps wandering into the stupid rocks on the near side of the bridge and turning around. drat it.