Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007
Oh my god oh my god oh my god I want the Mad Bomber perk RIGHT NOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Roman posted:

Have they said how the Courier’s Stash will work? Do they dump all 4 packs into your inventory at the game start, or does a menu come up that lets you select them?

And more importantly, how does it interfere with the preorder items? According to the wiki, it only allows players to access one of the item sets. But what if I already have, say, three of the four preorder item sets already? Can I chose the fourth as my Courier's Stash set, but keep the other three?

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

If you already have a preorder bonus you can't buy Courier's Stash :(

Incorrect, at least on the 360. I own three of the four preorder bonuses, and Courier's Stash let me complete the set.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Astroturf Man posted:

Agree on most of the useless perks, but Rad Child is awesome. Sticking at Minor Radiation Poisoning lets you regenerate 2 HP a second (making Dead Money really easy and making stimpacks nearly irrelevant) and only subtracts one point of endurance. I'd seriously rank it as probably the second best perk in the game.
:words:

I'm enjoying this perk discussion. I never knew how awesome Rad Child was! Do any other smart folk have anything to add that us dummies should know?

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

"Confirmed Bachelor" is a euphemism for being gay.

ARE YOU SERIOUS
:aaaaa:

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

No, that's Cherchez La Femme.

I think he was joking :ssh:

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

I'm not so sure.

Oh. Yeah, you might be on to something.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

MauveTrousers posted:

Is anyone going to do a big old post mortem or 'wrap up analysis' post like we saw in the last thread for the DLCs? There have definitely been some cool theories and ideas thrown around in these threads, and now that all the content is available, I think it would be cool to see a full playthrough analysis or something along those lines.

Also, the Courier's Stash is definitely cool, if a little bit unbalanced for the beginning of the game. It's made me really fall in love with poisons and throwing spears, which I never bothered with because the components are such a drag to get on the higher difficulties.

Spears/throwing knives+poison let me get Raul as a companion at level 6. Just have enough stealth to get away with pricking the Super Mutants from the shadows, and run away if they do see you, and Bleak Poison just ruins their loving day. Bonus points if you use vats to throw your poisoned projectile into their legs so that they can't catch you anyway with their scary, scary bludgeons.

Note: You need a lot of loving poison to do this, so a high Survival skill and foraging for ingredients ahead of time is a must.

Edit: Also, it might just be me, but I think Centaurs are part bloodhound. They are much harder to sneak up on than Super Mutants.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

CommanderCoffee posted:

Why soap? Bricks are heavier.

His friend has a low DT, so he doesn't need to waste the condition on his GRA Brick. It's like 10 caps per % to repair, man.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

rope kid posted:

I am glad that you are probably the only person in the world to have noticed this.

I noticed it had the same rocket logo, but I never made the connection! That's a nice touch.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007
GRA is great and all, but am I the only one annoyed that I the new mods only work on GRA guns? I mean, I know that the bethblog poked fun at it already, but really, why can't I put these nails through any baseball bat?

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Syrant posted:

I was going to paraphrase it but this is much better.

You know, just because the engine works in a strange way doesn't make the explanation any more satisfying. It's still an annoying limitation.

Assumethisisreal fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 1, 2011

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

closeted republican posted:

A lovely plot fits Zeta's lovely gameplay very well.

I think Bethesda's attempt to bring back the rail shooter genre was commendable, personally.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Eh, any moddable weapon you'd have to rebuy upon getting GRA is pretty much chump change anyway. The only expensive stuff is the unique weapons and some of the mods themselves.

Just because a high level character that you had when GRA came out already has the money to afford everything does not mean it is less stupid. And I'm not even saying that I'm mad at Obsidian for having to do it this way because of .esm or whatever nonsense you posted. I'm just saying that from a gameplay perspective, no matter how you look at it, it is stupid to have a baseball bat and a baseball bat (GRA).

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Cwapface posted:

Okay, so inflicting retribution (however righteous) on a leader by massacring the people he leads isn't evil? Brutally murdering people to send a message to a government (however corrupt) isn't evil?

I'm with Ddraig on this one. The entirety of the Legion forces you interact with in the game are the guys who have been sitting on the other side of the river for five years since the first battle for Hoover Dam. They've been essentially training under the most brutal conditions and likely under intense psychological conditioning since then for the sole purpose of loving up the NCR. They're bound to be a little...unhinged.

For all we know Ceasar's territory in Arizona really is a glorious new Rome. Sure Rome had slaves and some awfully misogynistic ideas and some brutal laws, but they were also the most successful, cultured and advanced civilization in the region, at that time period, by a large margin. Whos to say that the Legion wouldn't be the same thing given some time?

Of course, out of the entirety of the Legion you interact with, only Vulpes and Ceasar and maybe Lucius seem to have the intelligence to be anything but thugs. Of the other Legion leaders we see, Aurelius of Pheonix and Dead Sea just comes off as soldiers really gung-ho about killing people, and Lanius is a Hulk sized Hannibal Lector. Maybe Ceasar is just really, really confident in his ability to survive his cancer until he wipes out NCR, or he's already set up a successor(s) wherever the Legion's "capital" is.

Edit: I keep rereading what i typed, convinced that somehow I've forgotten my Fallout cannon and I'm totally off base on my assumption.

Assumethisisreal fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 1, 2011

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007
I personally hope the next game is in a location close enough to California that we get to hear a little bit about previous games. Since NV moved east, maybe the next game can go north and we'll have it set in Washington state and northern oregon. It could be full of barren pine forests, rocky coast lines, and just try and tell me the Space Needle doesn't look like a goofy Fallout set piece anyway. My only problem is that it wouldn't have the deserts that really define the setting, but unless the games just keep going east and we have Fallout: Texas, they're going to run out of desert.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007
How exactly does respawning in NV work? If I get a hankering to fight Deathclaws, will they respawn in the Quarry? Or are they extinct now? :(

Edit: And am I the only one having trouble with VATS since GRA came out? I'm on the 360, and about a third of the time I use VATS since I installed it, my character decides to just chillax when after I try and fire. It'll go into third person, and sometimes he'll aim down the barrel like he's thinking about firing, other times he holds the gun like he's just walking around. Meanwhile the loving Cazador is like right there on my rear end stinging me. Usually 15-20 seconds later (Also possibly when I get a broken limb. that seems to snap me out of it) I'll exit VATS without firing a shot and without spending any AP. It's getting pretty frustrating.

Assumethisisreal fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 2, 2011

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Dead Man Posting posted:

Yeah, I actually kinda want this.

I've asked myself why motorcycles/mutated horses weren't available for use in FO3 and FNV. I hope they add something like this in there.

Not unless they FINALLY add some goddamned mounted combat. I don't want to have to park and get off my motorcycle to shoot at a cazador.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Node posted:

Having just finished Honest Hearts, I've got to say that the Survivalist's subplot was easily the best part of that DLC.

Is there any reason that Three Mary's is full of trash? I'm wondering if I'm missing something subtle, or if it as simple as the White Legs like collecting junk.

The explanation is something like this.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Berk Berkly posted:

Karma seems disappointingly one dimensional and from a player perspective, have little traction in the game.

Actions that can affect Karma only seems to differ in magnitude or direction, i.g., +50K or -250K, thus there is no qualitative distinction for differing actions. Or in other words, I can accumulate enough negative karma by repeatedly stealing, even just trivial objects, to lower my karma to become equivalent to a baby eating fiend. In more reasonable perspective, this would just make me a notorious kleptomaniac(the repeat stealing, not the consumption of toddlers).

I would have liked to see a greater spectra of ethical distinctions. A good-natured but adept thief versus say an violent, brutal jerk, or a tyrannical, stonehearted, extortionist.

It almost feels, given a lot of the dialog options, that the game would support those distinctions. The factions almost seem to diverge philosphically on those axis too. The Legion would loves to have violent, brutal bastards, but has no place for thieves, for example.

The worst part about the Karma system is how many hostile creatures in the world give you positive Karma for killing them. I'm trying to be evil, Ghoul! Go away so I don't have to kill you!

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Fewd posted:

If the graphics don't bother you, it's still one of the best rpgs on PC. There was a thread some months back and apparently it's still around. Since it's on GoG, it's pretty easy to play even on modern puters. There are some crashes but this game always was buggy.

I disagree. I like old PC rpgs, but I thought Arcanum was too much of a train wreck. The combat in (any old crpg) it does not hold up at all, the plot is meandering and slow, and I spent a lot of the game being bored. Which is too bad, because I really like the idea of the setting. If you want to cruise through it just to experience it, play a mage. Use Harm to instagib everything you meet until you find enemies who live through that, by which point you should have Disintegrate. Grab Teleport and you've got the only three spells you need.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Still, I have hope. Point Lookout was definitely a step in the right direction in terms of overall quality (bullet-sponges aside, which was my only real complaint) and feeling like a legitimate place. It had tribals, people growing vegetables and distilling their own liquor, funny super-science a la OWB (as opposed to the bad super-science of Mothership Zeta), better quests and sidequests in general, etc.

Yeah, but lets be honest, those tribals were preeeeeetty ghetto. They were actually just a stupid cult that worshiped a ghost or something (I don't remember).

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Why are you talking about the Honest Hearts tribals in a discussion about Point Lookout? :confused:

No, I mean the Point Lookout tribals were ghetto. They were just a goofy cult that lived in a church. The HH tribals were "real" tribals.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007
My 360 deleted my savegame somehow! This if fine, however, because I have been meaning to start over and give the game one final playthrough now that I have all 4 story DLCS, Courier's Stash and GRA. However, I am waaay too impatient to wait until I legitimately earn money to get the rad GRA stuff. How would a starting character earn some fat lucre to buy high end weapons without, you know, working for it?

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do Dead Money at a low level, come out with 200,000 in pre-war money and gold. You won't be able to do it with your gear anyway, so why not at the start?

It isn't. Although it helps to have played Baldur's Gate 1, one of the most important tactics in that carries over really well.

Isn't Dead Money designed for high level characters? I seem to remember a lot of Hard locks/terminal, and high difficulty speech checks. Besides, those loving Ghost People have so many hit points :(

Edit: I don't even want to think about the bell tower as a level 3 characters. Ghost people all jankin' around, warblin' at me. Throwin' those gas cans and gettin' up when I shoot 'em. NENENENE CHHHHHH they say, then the game goes into slow motion and a knife spear protrudes from my chest, and both arms explode into gore.

Assumethisisreal fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 20, 2011

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007
Wait, is my math right? You can max out all skills at level fifty, assuming you use all skill books with Comprehension, but without Educated, with only SIX intelligence? That doesn't seem like it should be right, but my numbers work.

Edit:
All skills @ 100 = 1300 total

6 INT x 49 levels = 637
SPECIAL derived skill points with luck 5 = 351
All skillbooks with Comprehension = 376
TOTAL 1364

Assumethisisreal fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 21, 2011

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

You can craft unlimited skill books. That's part of why Logan's Loophole doesn't really have much of a disadvantage - in the same DLC you can get recipes to build all the skill books you want.

I think you are mistaken. Voracious Reader is actually from Lonesome Road, and it makes unlimited skill magazines. Unless you are talking about the book chute, but unless I am mistaken, you can only use the blank books to make a single new skill book for each skill.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Assumethisisreal posted:

Wait, is my math right? You can max out all skills at level fifty, assuming you use all skill books with Comprehension, but without Educated, with only SIX intelligence? That doesn't seem like it should be right, but my numbers work.

Edit:
All skills @ 100 = 1300 total

6 INT x 49 levels = 637
SPECIAL derived skill points with luck 5 = 351
All skillbooks with Comprehension = 376
TOTAL 1364

WHOOPS you can actually do it with 4 INT. (1315/1300 total skill points) Also that doesn't take into account the extra SPECIAL point from Lonesome Road and Implants. With those bonus points, could you seriously get max skills with a INT 3 "retard" character? I somehow want my math to be wrong :(

Assumethisisreal fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 21, 2011

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

jackofarcades posted:

I'll probably do the gigantic idiot melee run. What are the coolest weapons to destroy people with, especially early?

Look for the unique Shovel.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007
Am I the only one who tries to play a morally realistic person? I always try to do at least one playthrough for all Bethesda (and Obsidian, I guess) games where I only kill humans when it's life or death, and hobble legs, disarm, stealth and talk my way out of it when I can. Did you learn nothing from Daniel in HH? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

notZaar posted:

Yeah I hugged the cliff too, tried to time it between shellings. It was weird, I paid the guy for his "tips" but they were completely useless. I don't know if that's a bug with the event or just the developers being assholes.

The tip works great. What you do is run left towards the first ruined house. Hide in the corner closest to the chain link fence (so they can't see you?). After the shelling ends (I believe 11 shells) you run to the next nearest house. This one is a little annoying, since the door is partially filled in with ruble, so you have to jump over a wall. After another round of shelling, run towards the fence while hugging the cliff wall. You'll make it to the fence without getting hit once!

Edit: Watch this video! It actually isn't the way I do it, but it seems to work. There are a dozen videos showing ways through the artillery fire. No one should have to resort to Turbo with resources like this.

Assumethisisreal fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 31, 2011