Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

From the last thread:

quote:

Seriously? What does he say?

I had the NCR version of the duster and he notes that you wear the insignia of the Bear but it's somehow different from how everyone else does. I don't recall him saying that if you wear NCR faction armor when you face him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh, I must have not remembered it then so I thought it was related. Never mind.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was thinking about the ending of LR, and I think a big part of why I liked it was because it tied into themes of the other DLC. Unless you're playing someone who WANTS to nuke everything, you have to let go of ED-E (the rear end in a top hat options around ED-E are great in how dickish they are, too, and I can't ever take them). You either accept and take responsibility for your part in the past (though a lot of the time the answer "I didn't/don't recall doing that" has Ulysses call you a child or a jerk), or you deny it. You accept the symbolism and meaning of history or you reject it and create your own.

You either get smacked down by that mutated creature with the ability to kill you in one hit or you take every drug known to man and blow everything in the Courier's Mile away with a shotgun. :clint:

Has anyone done a low-int run of Lonesome Road yet? Does it have any unique dialogue with Ulysses?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 26, 2011

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rinkles posted:

With the availability of countless gun mods for PC, the Gun Runner's pack seems like poor value purely from a consumer's POV (I understand a lot of work may have gone in from the developer's side). But a properly modeled Bozar is tempting.

I'd be all over it if I were playing NV on a console, though. Hell, if it has proper animations I might spring for it next time I play NV too, most mods use default ones that don't line up at all with their weapons.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I swear, I must be the only person who plays NV and doesn't use drugs. (Outside of the basic medical stuff) Why risk addiction when you can just saw everything in half with a Thompson loaded with .45 Auto Spr? (The condition goes down as fast as the enemy's health bar!)

I usually just stockpile drugs but the Deathclaws in LR, irradiated or not, can kill me in one hit. That's 450 health. Only a sneak attack critical from Christine's sniper rifle could do the same to them. And they travel in pairs.

That said doing that in Courier's Mile where Deathclaws and Marked Men, all irradiated, jumped me by the score and kept pouring in while I was tripping my rear end off on everything and unloading the riot shotgun into every last bastard was amazing fun. I left with my armor completely destroyed.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 26, 2011

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You let them get close enough to hit you? Now THERE is your problem. :clint:

100 guns and my anti-materiel rifle still isn't phasing them. :negative:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are...are there any Confirmed Bachelor responses for Ulysses?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mordaedil posted:

[spoilerIt is independent, which can mean any number of things, I guess.[/spoiler]

It pretty explicitly means it's not under the control of NCR or the Legion.

quote:

I'll have to look at her dialog before I can really say more about that, but if he was truly an obeying robot, he would not have done half the things he does.

He does what you say but does other things too. I suppose it depends on how paranoid you are about robots in video games (and to be fair, they don't have a good record).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fallout: Detroit. The twist is it has become a Utopia.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Node posted:

I couldn't imagine playing without hardcore mode. It doesn't make it 'harder' since satisfying those basic needs are trivial, but I can't fathom playing New Vegas with weightless and therefore infinite ammo, and stimpacks that healed instantaneously. I actually wish there was an animation time for using stimpacks or drugs so you have to make the decision during combat if you want to make yourself vulnerable for a few seconds.

I wish there was an inbetween that had weighted ammo and over-time stimpaks but not the food/h2o/sleep rates, because the mods that try and give that suck and are kind of crashy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Saiko Kila posted:

Another good thing with survival is it allows to made a nice light armor later - this is for characters who choose to Travel Light.

I was disappointed to find out that those special armors you can make with Survival look the same as the regular versions of them, though. I was hoping for some sweet hides all over it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sighence posted:

Wait Light That Shines in Darkness is actually good? I saw the +DAM compared to the normal .45, but this good?

It gets critical hits nonstop too. ALSITD is one of the best weapons in the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Why is blowing up warheads scattered about a good thing? That seems bad.

One of the key points Ulysses raises is that you don't really know what you're doing or how you're changing things but you're doing it anyway. Like blowing up lots and lots of nukes.

I should do a playthrough where when he tells you to leave I take the option that says "fine I will, gently caress you" and leave, just to see if anything happens.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tsargon the Great posted:

Fallout 3 is very easily the worst of the series if we don't include Brotherhood of Steel.

Nothing will beat Fallout 2 for terrible Fallouts for me. It wouldn't have been nearly as lovely to me if it weren't for literally every action that could lead to a victory state in the game actually leading to a crash to desktop.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm replaying New Vegas for the nth time and I just realized that with the vending machines and stuff in Dead Money the implication is that humanity was basically just a couple years away from becoming a post-scarcity society before blowing themselves up. If the bombing held off just a bit longer it wouldn't have needed to happen.

e: Also I wish you could tell Veronica you met Christine along with Elijah. Just to have the game poo poo on her just a little bit more. :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 6, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

2house2fly posted:

did you not notice the Medicine check to point out that exact thing?

It's way more fun to do the Sam and Max routine instead, only your little buddy is your brain.

e: Since I finally got back to it it's a little odd that Lonesome Road is the only dlc to not have an intro. Having beaten them all again, I think the overarching plot in the dlcs is way better than the base game's, though the final encounter with Ulysses is a little lackluster. I couldn't really say what I wanted to, though part of that is because of what he's throwing in your face.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 11, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

razorrozar posted:

Ulysses is a bad villain, and that's kind of the point. He thinks he's punishing you and the civilizations for their sins, but really he's just a petty, broken man who can't accept that you might not be responsible for all the suffering he's experienced. That's why my preferred route is talking him down and keeping him alive, because who knows? He might still be able to do some good somewhere, once he's out from under that umbrella of pettiness..

Oh I get that's the point, I just want to explain to him what it is couriers actually do. :v:

e: Also to bring up the other dlcs more, since there's no real integration in the base game with them.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 11, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think it'd be pretty cool if the Fallout's alternated East and West Coasts, if they let Obsidian keep playing around with the setting. Or have one game showing something forming in the East (farther west than DC obviously) and having it encounter the Legion or NCR or whatever happens out west in Fallout 5 since I get the feeling this is going to be a thing too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

graynull posted:

'The Survivor' sounds more like there being a second catastrophe, since there have been people out of the vaults for a while now. The year 2299 also being 18 years after the events of New Vegas also give some credence to the idea that it could be set on the West Coast. Then again maybe some poo poo happened somewhere else that you'd be the survivor of (please let me play as a surviving Enclave member).

Maybe you could be the last survivor of a Brotherhood chapter, and you start the game in broken, useless power armor, and you have to figure out what's going on after ignoring the rest of the world beyond their tech. Really I just don't want to be another vault guy.

e: Or we could be a ghoul!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's funny seeing people talk about Bethesda's Bad Guy Brigade when New Vegas had NCR versus the slaver rapists.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Paracelsus posted:

NV was good at making all the factions have some serious problems without going overboard on most of them, but they really could have toned down the Legion a fair bit and still had them be effective antagonists.

I think the Legion would actually have been fine as just slavers since part of the point was both sides were drawing inspiration from flawed and doomed models of government (in Fallout anyway) and the difference is just where they're getting it from, but Obsidian went the extra step to make virtually everyone who wasn't Ulysses a rapist or butcher or other piece of poo poo. On top of the Legion being misogynistic as gently caress. I don't think the Romans had just female slaves! Ingame, NCR has one atrocity (that thing with the Great Khans or Boone, I don't remember) to the Legion's dozens.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

As for Bethesdas next Fallout, there's bound to be a neat trick or two, but I feel well eventually be disappointed by what can't be done instead what can be done. The DC ruins are disappointing because you can't deal with the ruins much at all, they're just big piles of rocks to limit your path and force you into those goddamned subway tunnels. Which also could've been fun in a Metro 2033 kind of way, but in FO3 were just bland and OH GOD ANOTHER ONE. Would've been fun if you could climb around the ruins and actually explore.

I didn't mind the ruins but the metro sucked. Which is pretty true to life, I guess.

quote:

Genetic purity patriotism liberty genocide!

That's what they were in 2, down to the "let's genocide all the mutants, which is everyone, to make room for us, True America" except they also wanted to go to space, so blame Black Isle for that. I've never actually seen the Remnants in New Vegas, though. I usually forget Arcade exists by the time I'm doing the endgame to go recruit them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Paracelsus posted:

It's not up to Legion levels of "kill/enslave everything in our path," but it does do a good job of making them not the clear choice when stacked up against House or Yes Man.

I agree, I usually tell both of them (and House gently caress him too) to gently caress off since New Vegas is mine, but if the choice is between NCR and the Legion, the NCR wins.

Or you could back Elijah and kill everyone. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Timeless Appeal posted:

The Legion have male slaves. Those are the guys you spent a good deal of time killing.

The soldiers? That's not really how they talk about themselves, especially with how several tribes willingly join (like the White Legs tried to do). I'm pretty sure they're not all slaves to the few dozen centurions or whoever, at least.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 16, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Whenever I play a female courier I side with NCR just for the giant speech encounter with Lanius where he calls you the Woman of the West. It's a pretty badass title.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Skyrim's engine was better but still not good. The worst thing about it is most of the animations are still pretty poo poo and if they haven't hired better animators then Fallout 4's are going to be too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

StashAugustine posted:

Fallout 2 was a worse game than Fallout 3. Discuss.

I was physically incapable of completing Fallout 2 because anything that could lead to the ending of the game instead crashed to desktop. Fallout 2 sucks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'd never say that the writing is stellar or anything but for the most part I find Bethesda's writing...adequate, I guess. Certainly not as bad as people usually think it is.

StashAugustine posted:

FO1 has heavy Mad max vibes and FO2 is nonstop reference city.

To expand on this, Fallout 1 has Mad Max vibes to the point that Dogmeat's original owner is Not Mad Max and you recruit him by putting on a leather jacket that looks a lot like Mad Max's leather jacket, complete with missing sleeve. Neither game is subtle about where they draw inspiration from.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, it has some similarities and references, but you can't say its story rips it off. Mad Max is a revenge tale, Fallout is about survival in a changed and hostile world, between getting water for your vault and working within the new governments and societies that start coming up. Fallout 2 goes even further and is more about how that new world interacts with what's left of the old as they start to run into each other. The actual plot of the games is basically zero percent Mad Max.

We're not saying the plot is or anything, but Fallout's pretty much always been post apocalyptic 50s future with movie references scattered all over the place.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Octo1 posted:

I have literally done this every single time. Turbo is the best chem

I usually just take some med-x and slam a few dozen stimpaks into my thighs. There should be a dialogue option with the Boomer at the gate reflecting that too. :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

socialsecurity posted:

Also going from the road is high risk high reward exploring you can find some overpowered poo poo if you venture into dangerous places above your level, something sorely missing from Oblivion/Skyrim.

You can stumble into areas that will beat you down in Skyrim actually, it scales areas to a certain extent only. Fallout 3 and Morrowind had similar systems.

e: Misread your post thought you meant overpowered enemies not items, sorry.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

According to Rope Kid, the invisible walls were largely put in place to stop enemies aggroing people in counter-intuitive places and to stop people going outside the built map. If I remember correctly, they avoided doing it to limit navigation.

I thought it was less to keep them from killing the player and more to keep them from wandering too far and killing NPCs in nearby settlements.

Psycho Mantits posted:

So it's my first time playing through this game (late to the party, I know) and I was wondering, does the game ever have a random difficulty spike ala Skyrim? I'm level 24, tagged Guns, Repair, Lockpick and Speech, and have the Hunting Revolver, Assault Carbine, Anti-Materiel Rifle and the Desert Ranger armor. The only enemies giving me trouble anymore are Deathclaws, but I'm used to the Skyrim sort of enemy leveling, where in the 30s they start throwing Elder Dragons and Draugr Death Overlords at you who are total damage sponges. Is there ever anything like that in this game?

No, you're basically king poo poo of murder mountain now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I would gladly take miles upon miles of empty roads over the goddamn subways that Fallout 3 used to break everything up.

The DC metro is only slightly more tedious in Fallout than it is in reality. At least you only actually need to go down there once ever.

quote:

Like, you'd think Tenpenny Tower would be near the remains of a freeway or maybe some other old buildings, but there's literally nothing around it.

The weird thing about Tenpenny Tower is apparently Tenpenny is from England. He moved to DC somehow (and for some reason) and built up the tower.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

xanthan posted:

I thought the best part was when the most advanced things are crap like protectrons or Mr. Handys they expected us to believe they have androids of any kind, let along believable looking ones.

To be fair, with Dead Money and Old World Blues Obsidian showed that society was either on the brink of or just entering post-scarcity with those vending machines, holograms, food cloning and advanced materials. If the Think Tank could keep going beyond "can make anything out of anything else" I don't see why others couldn't in other fields.

quote:

He's a great example of how not to design a water purification system, especially one that irradiates the chamber the operator is in.

Water chips are really hard to make ok? All the extra ones that aren't broken are on the other side of the country so Liam Neeson had to read a big book of science and make do with some scrap metal and fusion batteries.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Since I missed it, what mods turn Fallout 3 into basically Serious Sam? I've been wanting to replay it and I've love to do it like that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

D34THROW posted:

...since when?

Since he didn't like it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Psion posted:

also as I've said before, 1.0 launch NV, beat it start to finish with no crashes. FO3, same thigahahhahaahha oh man, like a million.

Overgeneralizing is dumb.

I wish I had your copy of New Vegas, it sounds nice.

quote:

Say you liked Mothership Zeta just to piss everyone off.

I'm a little disappointed that Obsidian didn't acknowledge "aliens hosed around and started the nuclear war" as the canon it truly is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

To be fair, the "undraw weapon to stop hostility" thing is really buggy sometimes.

And to be more fair, there really isn't a way to get Daniel to not whine about whatever you do in the end. And he's lovely and patronizing to the Sorrows anyway and pretty racist about it with his whole noble savage shtick. And the Survivalist wanted them to defend themselves regardless. There's no reason to ever listen to Daniel is what I'm saying.

e: Oops, meant Daniel, not Joshua Graham.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 10, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's not even dying, I just get turned around so much that I can't get from point A to point B in a reasonable amount of time.

I like Dead Money but after the Nth time of having my legs crippled by barely visible bear traps it starts to grate a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thumbtacks posted:

Does this game have an weapon like the rock-it launcher? In fallout 3 I played a psychotic librarian who attempted to educate the wasteland by launching books into the skulls of everyone in sight and I'd like go continue my quest for enlightenment.

No, they had to cut it because of how the new ammo system works. There's probably a mod putting it back in though.