Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How do you disable the HUD and centre the view on your character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mordaedil posted:

Sadly, you are not a special snowflake of ignorance.

C'mon, Omicarus is just joking, right? I mean, he even used the phrase 'alpha male' verbatim, so of course he's kidding!

Right?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 28, 2011

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Business Gorillas posted:

Does this mean I can do another Sledgehammer run like I did in Fallout 3? :razz:

Oh yes. poo poo, I made a silenced .45 for my last character, and I have one-shotted Deathclaws charging at me.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Infanticide posted:

In regards to the creeps staying in the apartments in Westside, when you discover they've been selling women and children to Cook-cook of all people, you have the option of telling Pretty Sarah what they've been doing so she can take care of the problem personally.

I didn't know you could do that, but it's not like I'd try to do so in any of my playthroughs- those two are also on my 'kill ASAP' list, along with the 3 named fiends. Those 5 people, and no more (not counting random fiends and whatnot).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Varmint rifle, then get Ratslayer for both scoped and silenced, it's a goddamn monster when sneaking even without mods. You could pretty much have your signature by Level 2 if you beeline it and keep the thing fed and repaired easy forever.

This, holy poo poo, this. Ammo's plentiful, it's easily repaired (not that you'll really need either), and it's a named weapon you can get early. What more do you need?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Astroturf Man posted:

And it was a fine, fine plan given the Capital Wasteland was a shithole full of jerks.

It's a tough world, the kids are irrelevant. The tragedy is that they've got so much knowledge and there's really no way to keep it from being lost to the world. (Even if you ally with the NCR they don't do anything but patrol).

Which is why I tend to side with House; dude's got all the tech of the Old World, willing to share it (according to his own timetable, true, but willing all the same), and is honestly the 'get poo poo done' type. Not to mention he's an enlightened dictator with the benefit of immortality, ensuring his vision (which I agree with in general) will be able to be carried forth into the future without successors diluting or perverting it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also, I don't really understand why they're bad people. Sure, they're somewhat xenophobic and somewhat trigger happy with the Artillery, but that's pretty understandable when you live in a world with giant mutated animals and multiple belligerent factions at your borders.

Yeah, that's the impression I got from them as well. If they were like the Legion, I'd say they're bad people- but they're not. They just want to be left alone to do their thing; once you meet them, they're actually pretty all right. As for the ants- what? Come on, we've all done more tedious things, and if you have a Stealth Boy and (spoilering to be safe) Lloyd's sonic wotsit, you don't have to do any fighting at all

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I must say, I don't mucbh like gambling; going out and doing quests/looting baddies earns me a whole lot more than flipping pieces of paper. Follows-Chalk had it right.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Francois Kofko posted:

on the other hand, it'll be written by bethesda

And if it sells well the one after THAT will be by Obsidian :allears:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, I loved DM. Everything, from the survival horror feel to the exploding collars even. Maybe I'm just simple (I like the ME series, for example :v: ), but I thought the collars really added to the tension and timing of certain parts.

Dominion posted:

I was about to put my fist through the monitor at a few points when you have to make a very tightly timed run through a head-explody area, like after Dean/Christine die or after you deal with Elijah, but its a twisting maze of catwalk or hallways and you don't necessarily know where you have to go or where the speaker is. and this happens several times.

No offence, but you must have some REALLY bad directional sense for this to happen :psyduck: How many times have you played DM? I can maybe see this happening on your first run, but after that?

Dominion posted:

Also the whole concept of let's restrict doctor's bags and then coat the brown ground in bear traps was nice.

Bear traps are really easy to spot if you move along slowly, and strafe slowly down corridors and stuff. I don't mean holding down Shift and plodding along, I mean just watching the floor a bit. Dead Money is Resident Evil, not Doom. Just be careful, watch out on the ground, and you're good. I never got hit by a trap in Dead Money, even in my first runthrough. It's that easy.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 23, 2011

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DoctorTristan posted:

On that point, what is up with the collars? Elijah starts out telling you "Don't disobey me or kill any companions, or BOOM!", but then the writers apparently realise that they need you to do both of those things, so suddenly it's okay so long as you run away fast enough. It seems bizarre to me that a core mechanic is used so inconsistenly.

The collar delays only work within the confines of the hotel. Furthermore, Elijah's not exactly the sharing type, and having seen nothing but baseless greed from your predecessors, decides to get rid of those potential threats as soon as their usefulness is over. You're just the tool he's chosen- remember, you can't actually side with him until he comes for you.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Monicro posted:

This is gonna own I dunno what you guys are on about :colbert:

Agreed. I'd play this just for the sheer WTF factor- how will Chris Avellone handle THIS?

DIT: Just saw it wasn't for PC :(

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 2, 2011

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

thehumandignity posted:

Uh. Vulpes massacres a town for no reason.

He murders and crucifies civilians for no reason.

Actually, there is a reason, and it's all about why he asks you to spread Nipton's destruction to the NCR outpost- it's literally a terrorist act, meant to destabilize and demoralize the already near-broken NCR army. Not only that, but it sends a message to the locals- the NCR talk pretty about needing your taxes to ensure your protection, but NCR are powerless.

Is it ruthless? Yes it is, but it also serves a strategic purpose.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

thehumandignity posted:

Okay, yeah, let me rephrase: No acceptable reason.

Fair enough- but you have to admit, that without the Courier, the Legion would have won the same way the Cong did; demoralizing the troops and the civvies to the point where the war would have been untenable.

And like I said, from a cold, ruthless, inhuman perspective, what the Legion did was desirable. For some people, that sheer ruthlessness is a selling point. The NCR is going about the war all the wrong way- this isn't so much a matter of killing bodies as it is a war of ideas, a war fought in the hearts and minds of people. The NCR can protect all the towns they want, but a single Nipton will have them ousted right quick.

Hell, you might make the argument that Nipton was actually a way to minimize casualties- a straight up fight might end up with many more civillian deaths, whether from outright fighting or uncowed resistance. Put the fear of Caesar into them, however, and you'll take over other towns without a single shot fired or drop of blood spilled. All you need is one big atrocity, something to make people think that they might be next if they don't cooperate.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DemonNick posted:

As for the Khans aren't raiders in New Vegas, and I might be misremembering, but they aren't really raiders in Fallout 2 either. In that game the hero is hired to go to the Khans' ancestral home and massacre all of them so that NCR can salvage the technology there. So I Don't think it's inappropriate to say the NCR are the bad guys in that situation. Seriously the worst thing the Khans have ever done is kidnap Tandi. That's pretty small potatoes.

They were raiders in FO2, you just don't see them raid. They also extort the squatters around the Vault. That said, the NCR's hatred for them, especially now that FO2's events have long since ended, is a little overmuch.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DemonNick posted:

Fair enough. For what it's worth, NCR runs what amounts to a terror campaign in that game (They pay Bishop to pay raiders to harass and attack vault city), so it's not like their hands are clean.

The way I see it, the Legion is just a lot like the early NCR, just a bit more in-your-face with their evils; sure, they might send infiltrators like Vulpes to do some behind-the-scenes wetwork, but at the end of the day, they're going to leave "LEGION WUZ HERE YO" signs everywhere. The NCR? Without the hero bringing proof of the NCR's work to VC, it would never have got out.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
IIRC, freakin' Dragon Age actually pulled that off- asking for rewards and generally being a dick really did net you more rewards than being good did, which often amounted to you getting the warm fuzzies and nothing else. Siding with the ostensible 'bad guy' in one of the main quests also meant you got a better ending.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Naky posted:

For anyone interested in more, it looks like the first big content mod is being released in a couple months in the form of a commercial style DLC.

Beyond Boulder Dome is its name, and it looks fairly promising. Their original content seems to mesh well with the current art style though the validity of their plot with factions may be questionable in comparison with existing lore. Their development blog is linked within that article with some more art and information.

Took a while, but I think we'll see some quality content mods start to come out soon now that the game's been out for over a year and a half.

I must say, this looks very nice! Looking forward to it, as well as their next project!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kharmakazy posted:

I could be wrong, but if there was a path to all the objectives that didn't include breathing poison I didn't see it.

Not for extended periods of time, no, and especially not to the point where the Cloud kills you. Now if you wanted to futz around in hard-to-reach places, that could be a problem, but hey- you get all kinds of snacks and dirty water to make up for it :downs:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Are you aware of what he does to The Kings if you try to negotiate a ceasefire between them and the NCR? House is a tyrant, and I have serious doubts that life would improve for anyone but the extremely wealthy under his rule.

Good thing I have all these caps then, eh? :smug:

Honestly though, I see House as the least of the three evils. Legion's just nuts, and the NCR's a carbon copy of the prewar government, see where THAT got them. House is a manb of vision, and unless you screw him up, he'll have enough time to realize that vision without having it perverted by successive generations, as is the case with Caesar and the NCR.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd rather have someone with their head in the right place, instead of their heart :colbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

I loathed the radios and the fact that the outer area was so drat claustrophobic and twisty.

Yeah, the radios were a bit naff, but the whole 'claustrophobic and twisty' thing was what I really LOVED about DM. I never really found the open wastes very appealing, and wandering about the Sierra Madre's ruins was the best thing.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FauxGateau posted:

Hey on Project Nevada are the shooting mechanics improved by any measure? It's been awhile since I've checked on the mod and wanna hear from people I trust. Random strangers on the internet forum I frequent.

Also DM is pretty rad, guys. Although I would've liked it if we got our equipment back at some point. Maybe some sort of equipment return basket? Clearly I'm not a writer. Is it weird that I probably excuse some poor design decisions in the face of a good story? I fear that this might be the reason that I give Dead Money a pass. Although I do like Alpha Protocol so that maybe the case...

You do get your stuff back- remember the bunker you entered to get to the radio? On the first floor near the ladder you camw down on in should be a chest with your stuff.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pope Guilty posted:

I dig how people can't agree on Dead Money. Some people think it's great, others think it's horrible, and both sides have arguments to make instead of just "It's awesome!" "It sucks!" "Does not!" "Does too!"

Put me into one of the DM lovers, and also list me down as a Honest Hearts 'meh'-er. HH's main story was good, but the whole exploration aspect left me kind of bored, outside the Survivalist. It's also why I didn't much like Fallout 3, in fact.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OldMemes posted:

The main issue I had with LR is that Ulysses never really explains what was so special about the Divide. He just keeps going on and on about how something new was being bulit there, but it just seems to be another small trading town - more like Novac than say, Shady Sands.

That's exacly it- Ulysses had lived his life among proto-nations, the NCR and Legion. Where they did not touch, were only small tribal groups and raiders out for survival. Hopeville was more than a Novac, or even New Vegas, the latter ruled by an electronic overlord- Hopeville was a place that maintained its own identity, its own independence. For someone whose life experience to that point had been to witness large numbers of people either aimless or ruled, Hopeville was a breath of fresh air- here were a people who owed no allegiance to any power, and yet thrived. It was mind blowing to Ulysses, and in Hopeville, he might have found peace.

And then the Courier came along, blithely dropping off a package that destroyed everything. Your character never too responsibility, never once said that 'hey, maybe I should think about what I do next time'. Nope, you just went along as blithely as before, changing the Mojave with your actions, maybe never giving a thought as to how those actions play out.

If Dead Money was about how being stuck in the past can hurt you, Old World Blues how an unchanging viewpoint can be dangerous, Honest Hearts a tale of redemption, Lonesome Road was about how you should consider your actions- remember, Ulysses constantly questions you about your allegiance or lack of it, about the why and how. It's way too easy in games to just as blithely walk around the place, going all manshoots around and toddling off- Ulysses is one way to remind the player that 'hey, you throw poo poo around, it makes a mighty stink'. It's one way to draw the player into the game world, to make him believe that all actions might affect said world like it realistically would.

In the end, he wants vengeance on the Legion and NCR for simply existing while Hopeville got destroyed, he wants you to know that regardless of what happens it's your fault (as you should have realized long before), and finally he's simply angry, half-mad with grief and lashing out. He can't start somewhere else- he's not as influential as the Courier, and he doesn't know of anywhere else.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kalos posted:

Caesar pulling a :smugbert: up there as they all run by is what totally sells this.

Now, see, if this scene was in NV, I'd side with the Legion all the way.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Now you do know you have show us pictures of you and your wife (hey, if it's good enough for the Courier, it's good enough for her) in football getup at the Fort though, right? :hist101: Seriously though, awesome trip reporting!

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 7, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Say, if you do a bunch of companions' quests and tell them to chill at the Lucky 38/The Sink, will their slides still show up? And is it possible to recruit the Enclave Remnants, dismiss Arcade and go get someone else to join you at Hoover Dam?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Isn't Chris Avellone the only Obsidian guy working on Wasteland?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you like the superheated saturnite fist now, wait until you bring it back to Vegas. It counts as a holdout weapon for some reason.

This red-hot glowing thing? Totally something I picked up at the Vault 21 souvenir store!

Or maybe nobody wanted to hold it :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I like to believe that after Dead Money, my Courier finally got it into her thick skull that Christine is Veronica's old girlfriend, and then used the databanks in the Big Empty to find the Sierra Madre, before marching in there with an army of holograms to unite the two :3:

Brb writing my fanfiction.

Not really.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OldMemes posted:

Roger Cross also does a good job as Ulysses in Lonesome Road, even with all the long winded :words: speeches.

Wanna be thrown for a loop?

He voiced the Biological Station in OWB. What I'd give to have a 'joke cheat code' that would have replaced Ulysses' canon personality with said Station :haw:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 30, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
At the very least, the political upheaval in the NCR would buy time for Mr. House to consolidate his rule over Vegas and strengthen himself both militarily, politically and economically.

What's that? You didn't side with Mr. House? Sucks to be you :smug:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

It's quite rewarding to come back to Quarry Junction 15 levels later with a Anti-material rifle loaded with .50 AP rounds. :clint:

Signature Weapons Mod + Silenced .45 Pistol = Most hardcore assassin in the Wastes.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, what's so wrong about simply cheating your carry weight to something ridiculous? If you're going to steal all the gold via an exploit, go all the way, I say!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mr. Podunkian posted:

He said he killed Caesar.

Exactly, he's ended the gay :v: !

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kashew posted:

I'm playing the...one with The Divide, I can't remember which it is, but it's awesome so far. Difficult as *hell* with the deathclaws. Jeez. I hate those things so much. How does one kill them easily?

Alternatively, the Signature Weapons and Armour mod(s) should work as well; nothing like taking down Deathclaws with a silenced .45 to make you feel badass :c00lbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pope Guilty posted:

Is it me or does that "I've got spurs" song sound like the happy outcome of a negative pregnancy test?

Sounds more like a guy who likes to sleep around then move on to me.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Trustworthy posted:

I was going to hilariously link to a Napoleonic cannon mod, but apparently such a mod does not exist. WHAT THE gently caress NEXUS? Finish up your decapitated necrophilia animations or whatever and get to work on the important stuff. :mad:

Man, you just don't understand art- and praise God, neither do I :)

Kalos posted:

Regarding Mine chat, I definitely feel like i used them a lot more in FO3 than New Vegas.

I admit, I never used mines in any of the games- they were just light packs of tradeable items for me. Half the Wasteland(s) are armed with mines thanks to my PCs :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sector_corrector posted:

I just bought Honest Hearts and Lonesome Road so that I can do a complete playthrough. The OP gives basic level ranges for the DLC, but can anyone point to something that makes the Ulysses story play out chronologically?

I'd say Honest Hearts -> OWB -> Dead Money -> Lonesome Road should do it. Honest Hearts introduces you to the idea that there's another Courier, OWB goes a little more in-depth about him, and what kind of a badass he can be, Dead Money doesn't actually tell you much about him, but expands on some of the people he met as well as ties in to Dead Money, and Lonesome Road finishes everything off.