Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

rvdleun posted:

One bit I've been wondering about with F3: After completing Anchorage, I got the Chinese Stealth Armour and the Gauss Rifle. I love the new look of the stealth armour, as well as the cloaking option, and the Gauss Rifle goes together pretty well with my energy-weapons PC, but I gotta ask: Did I just win the game? Every encounter basically boils down to me sniping everyone I see in VATS. I know that I could just as easily equip different gear to turn the game into a challenge, but are there any downsides to these weapons?

Pretty much, but don't fret about it too much and enjoy the ride, basically all games of this kind since Morrowind have this "point of no return" where you're either highleveled or well equipped enough that you basically break the game. The way of reaching that point can usually be prolonged by extensive modding, that being said, the stuff you get realtively easy from anchorage really basically finishes the game for you. Also try to stop using VATS, it makes the game too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I kinda see what VATS was thought for but I don't think it quite worked. I played both FO3 and NV extensively and the ToHit chances in both still feel completly random and I have still no clear idea how the game gets to them. That being said, in both games around mid-game if you focused on weapons of any kind (and who doesn't) you'll end up with your weapon of choice basically having a constant 95% ToHit chance if you're not like, miles away from the target or at an odd angle.

At that point, you end up getting into an encounter, pressing the VATS key, clicking on all the heads and calling it a day. I often ended up having encounters against multiple NPCs which ended with the NPCs being dead before they could even pull their gun. actually fighting them FPS style is a lot more fun. VATS should be harder and more of a chance thing imho.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I'm trying to make kind of a gimmick run redoing one of the FO1 preset characters.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Natalia_Dubrovhsky

(my version:)

Now I have one problem, that character uses the godlike trait "gifted" which basically gave 6 additional SPECIAL points for free and of course doesn't exist anymore because it's horribly broken.

(The values are: 4 ST, 5 PE, 6 EN, 7 CH, 7 IN, 10 AG, 6 LK)

the tagged skills were also sneak, stealing and Unarmed, one of which doesn't exist anymore. Any hints from the gurus who know more about the gameplay systems of this game to make a character that's approx. what that character was supposed to be in FO1? Maybe Perks I should get?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Bash Ironfist posted:

I didn't know that about shop/container views!

I didn't for the longest time either, this certainly tends to get more painful as the game goes on.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

So I've always been kind of bad at designing a SPECIAL build in this game and pretty much always end up with 9 int and everything else at 5 but I want to play through as a Unarmed dude. I'm using the XFO mod and have the SPECIAL changes enabled, can anyone give me a SPECIAL layout for melee? Preferably something that doesn't drop int super low because I love skillpoints, but especially with every stat being a much bigger deal I'm kind of lost.

I started something similar, biggest thing which can be kind of counterintutive is that you get NO bonus to your damage unarmed when you have much strength. It literally does nothing. Get a good unarmed weapon (which pop up kind of late) and you can do some serious damage though. I got 10 AGI and clean out with VATS and PN's bullet time and the unholy amount of action points I have, it's fun making enemies fly left and right only using spiked knuckles. Also the 10 AGI really helps out with using guns outside of vats.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 2, 2011

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

The Enclave were degenerate human-bioweapon-testing representatives of the hilariously cruel Dr. Strangelove government that destroyed the planet and turned humanity's last hope for survival into a series of social-experiment torture pits for giggles, the Master is a straight up Saturday morning cartoon megalomaniac whose only "ambiguity" is the running joke in the sequels that all the Super Mutants are chill dudes who just miss the days of being a mindless ravening horde of doom, and Caesar's Legion are slaving fascist savages. Just because there's not a lot of pure unstained good guys in the setting to contrast by doesn't make being cartoonishly evil "morally ambiguous".

It's fine that they're a pleasure to kill and it's a credit to the writing that anyone could buy their bullshit for even a second, but Fallout is really not a dark and introspective social commentary. It's a game where you kill giant radioactive ants using a laser pistol with chrome fins on it to save the mutant orphanage.

Perfectly true. The whole writing thing is still a pretty slippery slope which can make this experience really awesome or suck incredibly. I was really suprised how NV captured the atmosphere of the first two games, something I frankly thought was impossible nowadays. Sad fact is that Bethesda can't write it's way out of a wet paper bag. I admit I know literally nothing about the elder scrolls universe on account that I never cared much for it, but when I hear about Skyrim and there being nords and dragons I ask myself "can you get any more generic?" and I guess the answer is, not really. Doubt they learn from their mistakes because commercially, their mistakes are successes and why care when you still make money?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I once wanted to make a Vertibird mod. Basically have specific locations where you can fly with the 'bird and have it "Park" there and also serve as mobile home. Then I realized you can basically cross the map in 20 minutes.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I think Bethesda made the atomic, exploding cars because, atomic exploding cars are fun. That's kind of how Bethesda works. If a game feature can get a "haha" out of somebody, everything else will take kind of a backseat. I wonder in what new and exciting ways they'll slaughter the Universe with FO4. The writing of Skyrim somehow doesn't fill me with confidence.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
While FO3s writing wasn't spectacular at all, especially compared to the later New Vegas, it was head and shoulders above Oblivions writing. That really gave me hope that Skyrim would maybe not be cringeworthy. Now about 1 1/2 months after Skyrim I gotta say the main questline is probably the laziest thing I've ever seen in a title produced by such a big company. Almost embarassing. I have very little hope for FO4, but at least there will be probably lots of cool locations and armor and stuff won't look like poo poo anymore. I'd still wish oblivion would do FO4.

Also whoever talked about carryovers from oblivion to FO3... these still exist here, hell there's even still stuff that essentially didn't change from Morrowind in Skyrim. You can even find VATS and shotgun-spread related variables in the skyrim .exe.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 10, 2012

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I played lots of Skyrim since it was out, one thing amazing about the game is that the map and dungeon design is amazing and makes me hope for some really cool locations in Fallout 4. The writing was nothing short of groanworthy though, in between horrid voice acting and really boring plot you usually had the choice between

"Will you go on this quest?"
"Yes."

and

"Will you go on this quest?"
"No, because I'm a dick for whatever reason."
"But thou must!"
"..okay I will."

There were some obviously evil choices but they just didn't matter. Fallout 3 was the same, as that there was the option to blow megaton up which was incredibly evil and also made no sense whatsoever. In New Vegas I could agree with Bennys plan, then wait till he starts walking out of the hotel room and carve his skull in with a pool cue as he turned his back to me, and the game would understand and handle it. Now that's choice. With Bethesda he would've stumbled to the ground, ignored my obvious murder attempt and then I'd have to play thourgh whatever bullshit quest he'd send me through. Every sense of immersion would fly out of the window then and there.

I think in Skyrim they approached this problem of linearity in earlier games by just putting lots and lots of optional quests in, so that you can forge your character after the quests he's willing to do and the experiences he makes. It kinda works and it doesn't at the same time, and even though it's fun for a little while to play the dragonslayer, (and even though I think the game mechanics in Skyrim are very unusually well executed and balanced for a game like this) ultimatively NV stays more attractive to me, even if the graphics are worse. World just doesn't feel that static. Also essential NPCs are bullshit Bethesda, get rid of them.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 15, 2012

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Evoq posted:

I remember it being very possible to kill the overseer, but the game would end after that. I never tried it though, so all Ive got to go on is hearsay.

Yeah you could if you like, clicked really really fast between the moment your conversation stopped and the game ended. I remember this because I played the german version of Fallout which had all the splatter animations taken out (characters would just fall over, no matter how you killed them) except of the overseer which would splatter like in the US version. Was certainly a :aaaaa: for young me.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Naky posted:

PoliceAutomaton looked into trying to find a way through scripting to disable weapon and armor drop from enemies to make the money issue a lot less of an issue but IIRC he said there's no way to track ownership of items after the NPCs die or something like that. Still, that alone would make the game a lot harder and hardcore.

I whipped up a script though that makes it impossible to sell weapons to traders. It's not exactly the same but it works, I can throw it into a small nvse dependant mod if anyone wants it. EDIT: and if I can find it

EDIT 2:Also the exact issue was that there's no way to track the connection between a gun dropped by an NPC who gets shot, or at least if there is, I didn't find it. To elaborate: I wanted to make picked up guns worthless because fighting 3 gun-wielding enemies can make you walk away with several thousand caps worth of loot in the worst case, and most of that is guns, which aren't even heavy to begin with. Sadly, I couldn't find a solution except the one mentioned above. What also works is just not picking up guns as loot, or at least only guns you intend to use yourself. That way, I even played right up to New Vegas once and couldn't enter the strip because I didn't have enough caps, so I had to go work for the king. Really changed the dynamic of the game.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 18, 2012

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Leinadi posted:

It was sort of a mini-thing in the Fallout after New Vegas was just released, but it didn't blow up like the arrow to the knee thing (thank god).

Still, it is annoying. Particularly because there is actually a loving ridiculous amount of "barks"/one-liners for NPCs. Even after replaying the game a lot I still hear a lot of lines that I never heard before. But some of the lines just seem a lot more prevailent (the nuclear winter one for example)

Honestly and without irony, I could totally go without any voice acting in most videogames alltogether if that means I get more flavor text.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
Now, now, lay off Detroit. Them people is livin' in 'Mad Max' times.

I think Fallout has at least to be in the US, but seeing how nicely the Skyrim engine manages the outdoors and the lightning there, I'd really hope it to be in some woodland area, and not in some brown desert/wasteland setting. With abandoned locations partly reclaimed by nature maybe? STALKER comes to mind. Even though brown/yellow and nothing else is probably what we're gonna get. Hell, even Skyrim is almost too brown.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 9, 2012

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Merry Magpie posted:

Am I the only person who didn't bother trying to haul all the gold back with them?

I thought the entire point was to be satisfied with the 19,000 Pre-War Money stacks you took back with you.

When I came to that part of the DLC it honestly never even crossed my mind to actually pick one gold bar up.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah? Of course, there are a lot of completionists and power gamers out there. Gamers in general, especially of the RPG variant, tend to be fairly spergy!

True, never underestimate the amount of poo poo people will go through. There's no such thing as "This is such a grating and boring and terrible way to exploit/play the game, I'm sure nobody ever will do it". I've even read on this very forum about people playing skyrim, walking (while over-encumbered) from a dungeon to whiterun because they just can't leave the precious green apples and embalming tools behind. That poo poo takes like what from the closest dungeon? An hour? :psyduck:

I was playing yesterday with the random encounters mod and ran into a group of 5 fiends, 3 super mutants, 3 sentry bots and one mister gutsy, all fighting with each other. I got flashbacks to FO3s encounters which is a good thing and basically the only thing I missed from NV. If some modder would now go ahead and put some reasonable "dungeon" locations in the buildings that are already everywhere, this game would have the best of both worlds.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Kharmakazy posted:

What mod is that?

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=42793

I'd disable the boss encounters because they're just silly bullet sponge enemies. I'd probably also disable the enclave eyebots and enclave encounters and some of the DLC encounters for immersion purposes, but that's just personal taste.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Kharmakazy posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out. After all the updates the wasteland just has way too few encounters. When I first went to primm it was like a drat warzone, after the updates there are only like, 2 guys there now. I need more things to shoot.

You can crank up most variables of the mod to turn the area into a warzone. A good mod which fits to all that is talkie toasters robco certified, I just survived the encounter I talked about earlier because I had two protectons with me who were so nice to catch the sentries rockets with their heads.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I like how they left that statement of assertiveness kinda open to interpretation, because it could really mean all of the above if you want it to, at least eventually.

This playthrough I'm siding with house, I'm pretty much trying to be as evil as possible, and I'm also very high on speech. I like how speech isn't only for peaceful solutions but also a good skill to gently caress with people and/or bully them. It's also only my second playthrough and I see a lot of content I did not see before on my first one (kind of rushed that one) and I still have to see all DLC excluding dead money. Over modding I kind of almost forgot how fun that game actually was. After I release the armor collection I might do a robot race mod that's a bit more in depth than the one that's out, I already have done some work on it. The most conflicting thing for me is fitting an intelligent robot doing all that stuff the courier does and people not reacting to him in any special way. Kind of a MY IMMERSION complaint really.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Kharmakazy posted:

Doesn't he force you to blow up the BoS? I may be misremembering but I thought that was mandatory.

Yeah he does. There was actually a way in the gamefiles to pass a speech check to convince him that it isn't necessary or something, but it didn't make it into the final game. Some mod restored it. It makes perfect sense that house wants the BoS gone, they're all about keeping the technology away from the people and for themselves, they'd no doubt interfere with house's operation. The BoS was big in the earlier years after the war, but with a society that recovers slowly and looks into technology for solutions again, they really do become outdated. Not exactly a secret, pretty much everything involving the brotherhood quest-wise hints at that. I'm still siding with them until I get power armor training and a nice T-51b. Then I'll turn on them.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Stroth posted:

Might not be as impractical as you think. Keep in mind that there's a shitton of tech that we barely see the edges of and there are still groups out there developing new stuff. Fallout 3 had a group based out of MIT's ruins turning out androids indistinguishable from humans. That'd be a big help for space missions.

That was bethesda. They um.. do things like this. In the writing department.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I wouldn't call it one of the better quests, but it wasn't that horrible either, it was the same half-thought out crap they usually do, really. That being said, FO3 was one of the games with the best writing they ever did, IMHO.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Defiance Industries posted:

It's two people, not an entire colony, and chimeric animals have existed in Fallout since FO1. Blade Runner replicants, though? Whole different bag.

Like I said, lazy bethesda writing. Actually I'm going to go ahead and say that questline was crap. :colbert:

When you have robots in your world that have their style mostly out of 50s scifi literature and lost in space, you kind of have to explain a little why and how you made that giant leap to replicants a bit more than Bethesda did there in that questline. But as usual, they didn't explain anything and just hade some small sidenote of a facility where apparently the magic of their creation happens, also that Quest literally had no tie-in with the rest of the world whatsoever, we meet two of those androids in that game, you'd think if they are that relatively common in the world that there even exists an underground network to free them from their synthetic slavery, they'd leave kind of an impact on the world, knowledge and culture of the people in the game besides never being mentioned outside of that very quest again. Hmm in what other recent bethesda title did we see this kind of quest structure?

Also the BoS literally cares about nobody else except themselves. It's even in their rulebook. Only thing that matters for them is playing keep-away with technology after what happened with FEV. Again Bethesda broke this by turning them into literal knights in shining armor in FO3.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 4, 2012

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Kharmakazy posted:

Everybody cares about only themselves. Any altruistic motives they display are self serving.

As far as androids are concerned... I can't fathom why they would even bother to make them if they did have the technology. I can't think of any real use for them given the setting. It would take a tremendous amount of resources to make them, and they are less efficient and less loyal than a protectron. I can't think of any way to rationalize building an android in a post apocalyptic setting.

The Followers of the Apocalypse are basically the anti-BoS. BoS literally kills people for laser pistols. They're dicks.

Actually, depending on what resources they need, it would make a lot of sense to build androids in a postapocalyptic setting. Humans in a world like this are rare, skilled humans even moreso, if the costs of androids are in a reasonable relation to what they can accomplish, they can fill up jobs nobody else can take, because nobody else is there. We in our world would need humanoid androids less because even highly skilled workforce is just simply cheaper and easily obtainable.

That subplot still didn't make any loving sense.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Kharmakazy posted:

I disagree. Robots are skilled labor. Androids are technological equivalent to humans. The sheer amount of microcircuitry involved makes producing even one more costly than all the gold bars from dead money. Especially considering that no factories exist to make any of the parts, they would have to be hand constructed.

You don't need a machine with feelings to do skilled labor. Robots yes. Androids no.

Actually it's really hard to make absoulte statements like that about fallout, because in none of the games they were really clear how skilled or intelligent the usual-run-of-the-mill robots even are. Apparently artificial intelligence being capable of abstract tought and deductive reasoning is quite possible with the technology of fallout, see Eden, VAX or Skynet. The usual robots you encounter in all of the games seem to follow simple programming though, not even advanced enough to actually process their surroundings or grow beyond their pre-war role in any way.

The Brainbots you can encounter seem to be a huge technological leap, even retaining some of the intelligence and personality the brains they use for their processing have. It does seem to be quite all over the place though. There's no way to even tell what an android would "cost" in a world with this technology. Also you could make a point for that you can take the brain of some random joe and use it in your robot contraption to make it intelligent without him even agreeing to it. A world like this would certainly not need replicants.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 4, 2012

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
There's a quest line where you have to kill the kings?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
How would you people feel about traveling groups of NPCs (not randomly spawned) belonging to several factions or being indepedent, a bit like in the STALKER games?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Naky posted:

Finally gonna finish that mod you started like two years ago and were too lazy to place the markers to?

..maybe

There's also no way to really lose FO1 or FO2, like with most games of that era though, when you just start out you will keep getting hosed over until you understand how the game works. I'd advise picking whatever stats or skills you want your char to have, as it will reflect some gameplay decisions you can make (less so in FO1, more of that in FO2) also as somebody said already, run away from random encounters, at least in the beginning, there's no penalty to it and often it's the only way.

Also don't approach the game with modern ideas about what companions are, the ones in the game won't live for long and trying to keep them alive will be nothing but a frustrating exercise in futility.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I'm confused by all of this. FO1 had a bunch of timelimits that made you lose if you took too long (in at least 2 ways), and the companions in both games were more than capable of staying alive and are crazy good.

I should've been clearer. You can't really "lose" by making a char so badly skilled that he's unable to survive. You can lose the game, you also can always get killed. If you follow the story somewhat though, it's pretty difficult to gently caress up at least the first time limit the game throws at you, the other one is a slightly different story.

Also my companion comment was only directed at this game, Fallout 1. The companions were poo poo there and later encounters would leave them severly out-equipped and out-leveled in every way. They usually don't survive.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
On top of that, run away from random encounters you're not confident you can win. In fact, you can run away from most random encounters, often the loot/XP you'd get wouldn't be that good anyways.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
For me it was inside the building connected to that quest, I almost shot him. Well I guess at least he wasn't naked like the skyrim couriers.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
To be fair, even back then battles with more than 4 participants felt slow and clunky, also esp. FO2 was horribly broken unpatched. For me it was all about the writing and the setting. Something which still works.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Maybe the issue isn't that turn based isometric games are bad, but that he doesn't like turn based isometric games?

I much prefer the combat of FO1/2, despite coming to TB isometric games relatively late in life (at the time I preferred things like Diablo, and only got through BG2 initially by cheating all the time).

In my opinion they both have their places. UFO for example wouldn't work realtime, it just wouldn't. Same for JA2. There are so many choices to make, so many combat decisions and equipment in that game and to a lesser extend in UFO, it's staggering. It would be completly unplayable realtime without any AI support, which IMHO didn't turn out too well in X-Com Apocalypse, at least when you played it in realtime.

The thing with FO1/2 is they're not that different in this department from FO3/NV. You usually have one "good" gun and maybe some support like stimpacks and hand grenades. There are no decisions to make, you can only control yourself and enemies come in a straight line at you like in an FPS. No need or possibility to take cover after a shot or kneel down or something, with the already limited amount of action points you have, which doesn't even mean anything anyways because you have to basically stand right in front of your enemies with most guns to be able to hit them reliably. There's no quick movement for units you cant see or are not directly involved in whats happening around you so when you start a fight in a city enjoy watching the animation of "settler" casually and slowly walking for three steps away from combat. This all, together with its almost completly random nature of damage and hit chances, made the turn based combat kind of tedious and annoying sometimes.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 7, 2012

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

MrL_JaKiri posted:

They had real time games in 1997/8, you know.

And once again: personal preference for real time games does not make turn based games inherently bad. If it did you wouldn't have so many people funding the Wasteland kickstarter because it would an isometric turn based RPG.

I hope wasteland gives us tons of weapons and weapon attachments and different vests and backpacks with different capacities to store stuff in, and I say this completly unironically while I think it probably won't happen.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
Giving this huge background on the character (combined with the large tutorial dungeons bethesda loves to do) is probably the worst thing. This is something I absolutely loved about NV. Hey dude you got shot in the head, I fixed you head, that's how you walk. Now pick your stats. If you want to look for the people who shot you, your best bet is talking to the robot. Good luck. Leaving you to lay out your character in your mind in whatever way you want.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I sank many, many hours into this game and didn't even know there was a sewer system below NV until yesterday. There are lots of quests that lead you around the gameworld so you assume wherever the quests send you to are the only places of interest, which is wrong. There are some places to see that aren't really connected to anything. Like the whole Westside, which I also only recently found. Until this playthrough I didn't even know you could find enclave power armor in this game and there is a whole quest line around the enclave, because it has such a hidden way to be triggered.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
To be quite honest with you, It is probably just very cheap to dress people up in hosed up football gear.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I kind of want one pound of bubblegum.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I wish the engine had a witness system like Skyrims crime part of the engine has now. I'd totally buy this game for full price again if it was updated graphically and technically to that engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, it is the same engine, just with better graphics and effects. Also, the witness system? The one where a cow or a chicken would tell of your crimes to the guards?

It kinda is and kinda isn't really, there are a lot of significant upgrades. Lots of the game logic is still mostly the same, then again, it wouldn't make sense to change things like data structures etc. for what? Also the scripting language and capabilities are a lot better and sadly kind of underused in Skyrim. Also no matter how dumb Fallout 4 will be, looking at the Stuff they did in skyrim concerning vehicles I'm almost sure we'll get cars/motorcycles this time around, that alone will make it amazing.