Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

khwarezm posted:

So I was a little confused by Ulysses' relationship with the Legion, on one hand he seems to consider them superior or at least more durable than NCR, and has a large degree of loyalty towards its ideals and leaders, while at the same time showing practically no regret at his actions as a frumentarii, and yet he seems to be really resentful about their treatment of the his tribe and history in general while barely batting an eye at you nuking one of their camps. I played an NCR favoring independent run so does he have a different reaction if you have good relations with the Legion? It all just seems a bit contradictory.

What I got out of it was while Ulysses never liked the Legion's methods, the fact that their overall was goal getting all of America under one banner again was enough to get him to work with them. But when he found the Divide, he thought he no longer needed the Legion to accomplish this so he abandoned them.

One thing I want to know about Ulysses's time with the Legion: how in hell did he get away with keeping his dreads? That was the main symbol of the Twisted Hairs, and Caesar makes sure all symbols of concurred tribes get annihilated, to the point where tattoo's get burned off with acid and forced breeding with once rival tribes. He couldn't have gone back to dreads after abandoning the Legion either because when he ran with the White Legs they copied his hairstyle to his dismay, so why did Ulysses get to be an exception?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, looking back that seems the most likely cause - the issues did start the moment I completed it after all. Nonetheless, gives me an excuse to go all out on this new one and do everything before commiting to my ending.

Yeah on the plus side you can gently caress around with all of the guns and ammo types and poo poo coming out tomorrow.

In fact that lead nicely into this preview: (gonna get that special Brush Gun and Hunting Rifle)
http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/09/26/bring-the-boom-with-gun-runners-arsenal/

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

So does everything added in GRA just bought from Vendors or can you find poo poo out in the wastes or on people as well?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Speaking of the Mysterious Stranger has anyone ran into a bug that causes his signature theme to be really quiet when he shows up? I looked into the mods I have with FNVEdit and nothing came up.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

AlmightyBob posted:

I can't equip the 12.7mm SMG stacked mags :(

You need the GRA 12.7mm SMG to apply the mods to it.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

rope kid posted:

Slayer with Greased Lightning is the true lolz0ne.

what no Rushing Water

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

rope kid posted:

More like Two-Step Goodbye.

This thing is awesome, but I got a feeling using this weapon with companions in Hardcore (especially Veronica or Lily) is going to end in tragedy.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I like to kill people and sit on their things.

Is there anyone else whom I could kill so that I can sit on their things? I don't think the NCR president or Oliver tend to sit on things, and most other important people you talk to through screens or they stand around.

Also, any suggestions on how to make my screenshots look a little higher res and how to remove the HUD would be appreciated.

Old Lady Gibson likes to sit on the O from the Repcon HQ sign

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

Don't forget the Shotgun Surgeon perk as well. They go flying and you rape their DT.
I love the Riot Shotgun, fast rate of fire, great damage, versatility with the various ammo types, and is utter rape with the shotgun-based perks. Plus it sounds awesome. Real fun to engage a group of baddies and go *BLAM* *BLAM* *BLAM* *BLAM* *BLAM* and watch the bodies fly. I really wished they included the Pancor Jackhammer in this game even if it really didn't fit in the Fallout universe, and I'm really disappointed that there's no GRA shotguns.

I was just wondering why they didn't make the Jackhammer for GRA, or maybe even the H&K CAWS.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

HoveringCheesecake posted:

I'm really glad I saved before I spent 21000 caps on the Bozar. What a piece of garbage that thing is. Huge spread, and in VATS it took more than a clip to kill a legionnaire.

I'll just stick to my Gobi Campaign Sniper Rifle and my All-American Carbine.

There's a mod that let's the Bozar be effected by Grunt (http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=44147), with that and Grunt it gets considerable better.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Leinadi posted:

I will happily deny that Fallout 3 is canon. A fun game on its own it was, but it was dumb. :p

In ED-E My Love and Lonesome Road you can find out ED-E came from that Enclave base you nuked in Broken Steel, sorry man. Also Veronica mentions the Outcast Civil War if you chat her up.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

As it turns out my favorite thing about GRA is .50 Explosive rounds. I took my modded ARM and 1200 Caps worth of them (a whopping 48 rounds!!!!) to that Deathclaw nest with the T-51b and Remnants Armor, and with one Sneak Crit I killed 1 Deathclaw, 2 Young Deathclaws and badly wounded a Deathclaw Mother because they were all bunched together.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

That appears to be the opinion of Cass. I was a bit put off by her homophobic remarks about the Legion. Not that the Legion isn't evil, but of all the things to make fun of them for, their skirts and rumors that they have gay sex seems a bit odd, especially for a bisexual character. In fact, is Cass the only person in the game who says anything disparaging about gays? I know Major Knight says the NCR doesn't approve of homosexuality, but I don't think here's any NCR characters who actually give voice to that.

Well to be fair Cass is only bi after the 7th bottle of Whiskey.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Roman posted:

I managed to clear everyone out. For me it was Hugging the left side and dealing with the Marked Men first, all chemmed up with a riot shotty + Shotgun Surgeon + And Stay Back. Then I stayed on the left side and took out all the deathclaws from afar with a fully upgraded GRA Anti-Material Rifle and Explosive rounds, which are a wonderful thing btw.

Everything I had tried before that point was... ineffective.

I just used a fully upgraded SMMG and A Light Shining in Darkness. That poo poo works wonders against Deathclaws and popping Marked Men's head with the .45 works great as well.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

With Elijah's Advanced LAER and Max Charge ammo, you can practically hear the gun crying in pain with every shot. That gun was what prompted me to bind weapon repair kits to a number key, you can go through one or two after every decent-sized firefight.

This is the exact same deal with Christine's COS Rifle. Every time you fire a hand loaded round it takes of a noticeable chunk of the condition.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Not really much of interest in them, though.

There's a unique Lead Pipe that makes for one hell of a low level melee weapon.

You know I love the thought of that. How this particular piece of lead cracks people's skulls better then that piece of lead.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

I found that, and a whole bunch of named corpses with their stash keys on them. Still havent found the stash tho.

I'm pretty sure that is the stash.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Astfgl posted:

Isn't the problem, though, that of the however-many vaults there are, only a small small fraction of them were "control" vaults and all the rest were designed to open early, break down, or prey on their inhabitants? And weren't the control vaults programmed to open after like 200 years or something, a threshold that already came and went? Which, if memory serves, is how we got the NCR?

Not all control Vaults had to be opened. Vault 3 was fine until a few years before the events of New Vegas, when an unexpected breakdown happened and they started to get flooded so they went to get help and the first people they run into are Motor-Head and the fiends.

Also I don't think Vault City had much to do with NCR but I honestly can't remember right now.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 5, 2011

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Omnicarus posted:

So you make a vault where the test was how long you could keep people in a state of war and obedient through fear. The overseer and staff convinces the inhabitants that the outside world is a radioactive hellhole filled only with rapist cannibals that swarmed and devoured the other vaults, so vault [insert] has been entirely militarized since shortly after it was closed. When the player cracks the front door he's breaching their walls. Convinced they're going to be devoured by ravenous ghouls, the inhabitants start a blind, ruthless crusade to purify the lands surrounding the vault and resettle them solely with vault dwellers.

Edit: I think I just described the Boomers, more or less.

Sure the PC could tell them they should just stay put and not start a blind crusade to purge everything in sight, but if the PC lets them then they give the PC a really kick rear end gun.

These are the Hard Decisions of the Fallout Universe.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

graynull posted:

My favorite part of Doctor 8's speech was when you reply with something about using a can of Cram with duct tape around the top. He then hands you 2 cans of Cram, 2 duct tape and 1 ¡La Fantoma! :fap:

If you are a female Courier you tell 8 about how when Microfusion cells get set to a certain frequency it will vibrate for like an hour.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Thing about Bean Bag rounds is when you use them with Riot Shotgun you usually end up killing them before you knock them out, especially with Shotgun Surgeon.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I like to think that, from what he implies in Lonesome Road depending on your current quest path, Ulysses is behind pretty much everything lovely that happens to you over the course of NV until you finally confront him.

Shot in the head? Ulysses was gonna be the original Courier Six.

NCRCF attacking Goodsprings? Ulysses told their leader to colonize.

Primm being overrun by bandits? Ulysses invited them in.

Giant ants invading an underpass? Ulysses accidentally dropped the eggs and left them there during his many travels.

Nipton burned and scarred by Legion troops? Ulysses whispered sweet nothings in Vulpes' ear and inspired the attack in the first place.

Oh, and that Deathclaw that just came out of nowhere and murdered you without you even noticing before it was too late? Ulysses pointed it in your direction.

Dude's just waiting in the bushes right outside your FOV, waiting to make you as miserable as possible.

So when VATS fucks up and freezes me in the middle of fighting off Cazadors was that Ulysses screwing with my Pip-Boy?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

It's funny because as far as terrible things happening to you in the DLC's, Ulysses was the one that pointed Elijah to the Sierra Madre, was the one that taught the White Legs how to use their guns and how to maintain them as well as basic military tactics, and was the one that convinced the Think-Tank they need to brain wash everyone that comes to Big MT.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Knuc If U Buck posted:

You can serve Caesar without pissing off the NCR for the most part. As long as your use sneak kills etc, I think you can do most Legion Quests w/out even losing infamy.

There's a certain point in Legion's main quest line where you automatically get branded a Terrorist by the NCR and everyone in NCR will shoot at you on sight.

Going back to the whole vehicle thing, don't forget NCR also has Trains that are running, the reason why the NCRCF Prisoners were given dynamite so they could fix up the rail lines.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Grinning Goblin posted:

I think that was the "official" explanation. Which I don't buy at all because after using IIWR and later on, OFT, I never had a Deathclaw wander south of that area. There is actually a pretty big buffer in that area too, which makes me think that may have come later in the development cycle and they just kept the walls in. Makes me wonder why those Khans in that area never got killed.

What didn't you hear of the NCR reports of Khans training them and becoming the Masters of the Deathclaws?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

rope kid posted:

Yeah, ricocheting Timed Mini Nukes is really handy. If you do manage to hit a target with it en route, it will majorly gently caress up most enemies, usually killing it and shearing a limb off. It will occasionally result in a terrible bounce, though, especially if it hits a torso and just flies straight back at you.

EDIT: BTW, Big Kids with a maxed-out Explosives characters (i.e. 100 Explosives, Splash Damage + Demo Expert x3) are almost inescapable harbingers of (player) death.

Yeah I learned this the hard way. I bought Esther and thought "well time to show all those uppity irradiated bitches in Courier's Mile what-for." And I did. Along with myself. Many, many tines.

edit: one thing I don't understand about the DLC's is that not only do the enemies scale with you at all times so you always get high XP from killing them, but that XP you get from completing quests also scales with at all times. So no matter what you are walking out of the DLC story with at least 5 levels under your belt.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 10, 2011

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Eiba posted:

So on the subject of Lonesome Road... It was kind of neat how the enigmatic figure broke down into a rather plausible mess, given what he's been though... but I couldn't help but be kind of disappointed in him. I thought he was asking the right questions... he was asking what made a society. I thought he really might be on to something but... it turns out he was just broken after what happened to the society he appreciated... and we didn't even get to learn what it was about that society that he liked. The whole thing would have been fine if we just knew what Hopeville was founded on... besides nuclear weapons.

This disappointment came to a head when I engaged in the final conversation with him, got to the speech check... passed it and... that was it. Just a single simple speech check.

It was almost enough for me to give up and write off Lonesome Road as a tragic disappointment, but then I reloaded and tried the other options.

Lonesome Road poo poo: He kind actually does tell you why he fell in love with the Divide so much (although not directly, you have to read between the lines here), it was because it was a small community in a harsh land that still managed to grow and thrive, with no help at all from either Legion or NCR. Also because it was all on a Military base, Old World America flags were everywhere and that convinced him this could be the next America.

Remember, Ulysses had no real love for the Legion, he just ran with them because for one Vulpes would have had him killed otherwise, but mostly because Legion's overall goal was to erase everything but the Legion, and have all of America under one sign again. No NCR, no BoS, Enclave, Kings, Vipers, Jackals, Scorpions, whatever. Just one "tribe" to make America whole again. He made it in the Frumentarri (normally reserved for the more fanatical members of the Legion) because, he just happened to be very very good at what he does.

Then Ulysses saw this poo poo hole grow into a thriving town from almost nothing, with no help from NCR or Legion or any gangs, decorated with the sign that brought all of the Old America together as one. It was perfect. This showed him he didn't need the Legion to acomplish what he always wanted to do, bring back Good ol' USA.

And then the NCR showed up... then the Legion showed up because the NCR did... then the Courier showed up with a busted up ED-E in a box and a few days later poo poo goes boom.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

VisAbsoluta posted:

I have dozens of games in my backlog, a lot of titles that I want to play are being released soon, and yet the only thing I can think about playing is another New Vegas run.

I'm having this exact same problem. Still gotta finish Dead Island, still want Dark Souls, but right now all I can think about is how my next NV character is gonna be a young guy with 10 Luck named Nick Pappagiorgio.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

What's your tactic for this?

Find the code for Weapon Repair kits, buy like 50 of them once you are back in the Mojave, kill Fiends and Marked Men and poo poo, take thier guns, repair them, sell them, enjoy unlimited caps.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

So I'm just about to do Lonesome on an different character, but a quick question (gonna spoil this just in case, but really it's nothing too major):

did anyone figure how exactly the DLC says what side you are fighting for? Right before I went in Arcade seemed to think I was fighting for NCR, which is weird because I'm doing Independent, planted the Override Chip and all I have to do is tell Yes Man the word Go and it's Hoover Dam time. For reference, I'm Idolized by the Strip, a Good Natured Rascal to the NCR and a Merciful Thug to the Legion. I did get far enough in the NCR quest line to get an alliance between them and the BoS though.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Dush posted:

If you're on PC and Ulysses thinks you're with the wrong faction, you can always use the console to make your rep with NCR, Legion and Strip neutral. That'll give you the Independent dialogue, and you can fix it right back up afterwards.

Actually I found this mod which also helps greatly

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

The rear end in a top hat options in New Vegas honestly make me feel really bad and I've never been able to play a dick character because of it :( I've played through like three or four times now and it's been a goody-goody character every time.

I watched on Youtube what happens if you sell Arcade to the Legion...

.... drat. Seriously I could never bring myself to do that.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Bring back Ian.

Have him like a Mysterious Stranger deal. Only he targets the PC.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Canada would kinda own too. Radmoose, desert mounties, toxic flesh-melting blizzards, and all the roaming cannibal gangs are really polite

One thing I've always liked about the idea of exploring Canada in Fallout was to have some Canadian factions still pissed off about when the US Annexed them. Creates some easy factions to pit each other against like NCR and the Legion.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

I think as far as anyone knows, Mr. House is still alive and well and ruling New Vegas. You hear people very slowly spreading the word that he might be dead, but nobody knows for sure. Even if they thought he was dead, I don't think most people would jump to the conclusion that control of his empire was handed over to an artificial intelligence that would do everything they command.

Umm no they don't, everyone the Strip knows he's dead because the Securtrons start handing out his Obituary. That he himself wrote.

edit:VVVV With that I just assumed because Yes Man is an AI that can jump from Securtron to Securtron, he just jumps to the one guarding the Tops when you walk into that away and goes away after you leave.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 12, 2011

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Chairman Mao posted:

Where are you getting this information? I would give my left nut to play a Fallout game set in "recently annexed" (then bombed to poo poo and left to rot 200 years) Canada.

FO3, that one dude in the Pitt talks about how "Ronto" is jealous of their steel mill and ammo press and poo poo.

VisAbsoluta posted:

Now you have to pick the best gun of the whole game™ (Paciencia).

I wish the Paciencia was a Brush Gun not a Hunting Rifle, because that poo poo is MADE for Raul.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 12, 2011

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

SpaceMost posted:

Torontonians would never call it "Ronto", nuclear holocaust be damned. :colbert:

If Tuscon got turned into Two-Sun then it could happen.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

The Van Graffs don't really sell anything you can't get elsewhere, if that's what you're worried about.

Also if you have GRA then the Gun Runners sell energy poo poo if you kill them so go hog wild.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Doug Lombardi posted:

Ulysses and highly leveled DLC bosses.

And Lanius if you have the DLCs installed (he kind of scales with you after 30)

edit: and Joshua Graham, good lord. For shits and giggles I did a point blank sneak on him with Dinner Bell and Shotgun Surgeon and I think I did maybe 15%? Of course he casually got up and blew me away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

I wonder of somebody had modded a version of Old Glory with the Fallout Stars and Stripes/NCR Flag/Legion flag, a duster with sleeves and a better mask from Ulysses.

His loot feels really bare bones and rushed to me.

except for the breathing mask most of his stuff already existed in the game, from his first life as a companion.