Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Sam. posted:

I was surprised they hadn't all murdered each other long before the time I got there.

I'd like to think they'd rather suffer together than suffer alone. It is weirdly sweet like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I actually got a minor complaint about FNV, Amazing huh?

Your characters personal name. It rarely shows up. I found it quite odd really.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Samopsa posted:

Pretty logical, considering the amount of voice work. Just like in Deus Ex!
They could've put it on more terminals/journal entries though.

Would have been nice to see it on my Pipboy more and all :(.

Somebody really needs to make some weird sound technology that can speak your characters name in RPGs.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Omnicarus posted:

I always wondered why games didn't have a list of first and last names, say 200 or 300, and just let you mix and match and fit in dialog to accomodate. I suppose that it would really throw off the cadence of the voice acting.

Would be a good place to start experimenting on, but it'll take a lot of work for technology to mold a minor voice actors to pronounce CRUNCH SLAMFISH and Your Mother as naturally as the rest of their already recorded speech.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

What if I've got a 1 END build? :colbert:

That Vault City scout could use some company then.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So yeah, does anyone really wish they got a better VA for General Oliver?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

eating only apples posted:

Me and a friend were just talking about this, how he's noticeably a bit rubbish especially compared to the other big faction heavyweights. On the other hand, you do only meet him very briefly, and are likely to spend more time listening to, say, Hsu or Kimball, who have unique voice actors iirc (well you don't spend much time with Kimball but you get the idea). The dude who does Oliver supposedly does a whole mess of other NCR characters, but his Vault page doesn't even list Oliver, so has there been a mixup there?

It really does weaken the Mr Houses Champion moment of the game when the dude sounds so bored.

Seriously, I just proved you wrong with words and killer robots man! show some
emotion! rage! something argh!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Kharmakazy posted:

He only has like.. 5 lines anyhow before his fall from grace.

35.7% chance of a unhappy ending for him.

But yeah, when you think Hard Bitten Military General, that VA was not it. Now that is a mod I hope somebody with serious voice acting chops should pull off.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Kharmakazy posted:

I don't know. I can't remember any backstory about him being any kind of bad rear end, just some bureaucrat. gently caress im.

Pretty sure he was in charge during the first battle?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Kharmakazy posted:

With a nickname like "Wait and see" he must be pretty tough.

Because being patient on when to commit during a battle or war has no merit at all? Actually, it is a pretty much needed skill.

He still was a over inflated Jack rear end who needs a better VA to make his much more satisfying when you correct him into signing that smug treaty.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'd actually like somebody with the art skill to knock up a few pages for each of those magazines.

It'd be neat.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I always kill a certain two rear end in a top hat 'scrap' dealers from North Vegas. Always. gently caress those guys.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Those guys actually aren't 'just assholes': if you accept a quest from some random NCR dude at the Aerotech shacks, you find out that those two have been kidnapping people and selling them to the fiends, who proceed to rape/torture/etc them to death.

And according to the young working girl nearby at the hotel whitey of the bunch is pretty much a closet paedophile.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

redmercer posted:

Was anyone else as surprised as I was by the appearance of the former Johnny Fiveaces?

aka the Charles Mansion strategy

As I recall from the 1st thread, 'Dude Johnny!' was a popular goon post for at least fifty pages post release.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

There is another much needed mod project that should be done, putting in a few more Legion specific quests into the game.

Hell, if you have too just borrow from Roman history and mash some stuff up.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

What is the .22 pistol based on anyway?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well, you learn something new everyday.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I considering for a laugh making a Doctor Quinn medicine woman sort of character once.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I assume you abandoned the idea because you couldn't get the character to look as hot as Jane Seymour, right?

Pretty much, went the way of chaotic neutral Raider girl scientist instead.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

If Boone had paid more attention during the history classes they didn't teach at the bombed out remains of what could have been his school, maybe his wife wouldn't have been sold into slavery :colbert:

If his wife had a concealed Gobi sniper rifle, it would never have happened.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I gave up and just started over. Once I get the whole thing recorded, then I'll start doing commentary on it. As of now there are five half-hour episodes up on YouTube under Unlisted waiting for me and some other brave soul to do commentary on. The LP isn't coming back until I have enough worth posting and have literally no chance of any backlog, I want to do this thing right this time!

Post it here, I can't wait to see it return man.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Beaumains posted:

On the flipside of the "who do you always kill" discussion... who do you always pay a visit to even if it's unnecessary/out of the way? Doc Mitchell is my pal, I go to him for all my medical needs and he gets all my caps. He is such a bro he patched your head up for free without even a scar and doesn't even mind if you take stuff from his house. Compare that to anyone in the NCR, who will bust a cap in you if you just touch an empty soda bottle, even if you've saved their republic a dozen times over. I wish Doc had a questline, just cause he's a cool dude.

I could never kill the old Doc too.

I'm also glad to see I wasn't the only one who shot Follows-Chalk at the start of Honest Hearts. He came out of nowhere just as I was ambushed again oh god!

My only complaint really about HH is that the Tribal stuff for the three tribes should have been a lot more unique looking.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

How do you get access to the list in game?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

AFAIK, you don't. Here's the list. Should have linked it in my previous post, but hey.

Kinda surprised there isn't a way to keep track of these in game, you have a mini computer on your wrist!

Somebody should do a mod for it if possible.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Check the Challenges section on your Pip-Boy. They're all in there and you can keep track of them too.

Interesting, I rarely visit that bit of the Pip-Boy now as I before hand I pretty much did all those Challenges in a previous play through.

Also, I wondered what the pop culture reference to the Shotgun one was. Robocop huh.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Oh hi, I'm an albino scorpion! Not only do I show up in groups, I take five minutes to be killed by your 100% repaired weapons! Also, just killed your dog when you weren't looking.

gently caress those things hard. And those super ghouls too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I'm just going to put forward that I have absolutely no idea how to play Caravan correctly and I am not going to read through the novel that is the rulebook because I could just play the gambling games I already know and enjoy in Vegas.

I'm pretty much in this camp, those Caravan achivements shall remained untouched.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

khwarezm posted:

I wonder what the future of the legion would be? Seems like a waste to phase them out after NV.

Well, your going to need somebody to play the raiders in the next few Fallout games on the west coast now the Fallout era gangs are tiny things and Super Mutants are pretty much going to start dying out soon.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Francois Kofko posted:

The future of the legion after Caesar's death really is an interesting affair; regardless of whether or not the Courier won the dam for the Legion, with Lanius at the helm, it would definitely soon become another group of raiders. Kind of sad because that would basically turn them into the new fiends were they to be used again
I can't imagine lanius wanting to do much but 'purge' the wasteland of everything but legionaries

They could always write about a Roman Empire-esqe split, the dickheaded shallow raiders going one way and some reformed Legion Senators going the other.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Francois Kofko posted:

Eh, it didn't seem like anyone in the legion knew what they were fighting for other than KILL KILL KILL
If there were anyone who actually understood Caesar's goals, they're administering the region as governors in the west, I think.

I'd like to think there is some vague sanity with the administrators back east that could lead to a slightly better future for the Legion that generic raiders really.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Update out of nowhere. Been a while. Where are the patch notes?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

I never found this holotape so as far as I'm concerned it never happened. :colbert:

I never bought the DLC, it never happened (gently caress the dude who wrote that you are rubbish).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Bouncing tits, embarassingly skimpy outfits and boring 'I MADE GUN SHOOT NUKES' mods are more important that things adding interesting new content guys.

Still Skyrim is distracting them now. We're getting some good ones slowly (Working cars!)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Reveilled posted:

Uh, resources like wood and cloth?

Crossing the Atlanic isn't sailing a creek, even with the crazy assed tech of Fallout. For one thing, will there be anyone still alive to read and plot a navigation chart?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Reveilled posted:

:psyduck: You are joking, right?

Hey, even if a crazy assed fifties sci-fi computer is going to need to know which direction to vaguely go. It is a big ocean, now full with drifting big rear end ice bergs and crazy sea monsters.

Plus that chart thing would work if your wanting to go in on low-tech, assuming people took the time to pass down how to read and use the drat things whilst not being killed and eaten by raiders.

And while we're sperging, what you and the crew going to eat in the next weeks or months at sea?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Reveilled posted:

You don't need a computer to cross the atlantic. You need a wooden ship with a sail on it. A navigation chart would definitely help, and given that we've got a load of people in vaults with books I'm pretty sure there'd be someone who could learn to read one. But you don't even need a navigation chart, the first time we did it we didn't even know America existed.

And how did they know? with experinced sailors learning it, practicing it and passing it down through word of mouth or book. And that is just basic navigation.

It'd be a pretty tough feat to organise man, even assuming there is a whacky Nautical themed Vault kicking around somewhere in the Wastes.

Personally, I'd rather keep most of the single player stuff in the United States. They'd need to write so much new lore to cover what happens with Europe and China and catch up with the US. I'd love to see it though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Reveilled posted:

How did they know what? That sentence doesn't make any sense.

To read navigation charts and other navigation skills as well as practice them, not to mention adapt the old ships or build new ones with the crazy limited resources and train the crews of these ships. Even if a computer does most of the stuff your still going need some human hands so it doesn't merge with a tentacle monster when the special nuclear fuel tanks burst and creates a hybred wanting to rule the Wasteland.

Not saying it'd be impossible, but it'd require a gently caress load of work, time and effort to sail across a possibly damaged monster soaked Atlantic where only a handful of ruthless bastards like the Fallout 3 guys mentioned above might just make it. Maybe they should just ride Airships instead :v:. The NCR or Brotherhood could pull it off with some Tribals but I think soldifying the frontier is a higher priority right now.

Speculating in Fallout sucks though, somebody will always get mad no matter what.

I really wish they'd consider doing some sort of Fallout comics over seen by the original writers. The universe is still frustratingly blank outside what we know from the games.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

khwarezm posted:

I'd be suggesting that they probably could, but why would they? I don't think I need to explain that pre-industrial sea travel was very dangerous and Tenpenny's main motivation for doing so seems to be to sit in a tower shooting ghouls.

Now I'm angry that Tenpenny could have been some bad rear end Deadwood-esqe Al Swearengen type guy with a blinding hatred for anyone loving with his plans instead of that weird wheezy old stereotype!

Fallout 3 writing argh!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

A goon from this thread should totally suffer through a Lets Play of that. I'd watch it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

OH NO MAN posted:

Legendary bloatfly. Oh dear. :stonk:

I had the same reaction encountering the thing.

"Oh hey what is th-"
*Hilarious Gibslion*.