Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Doug Lombardi posted:

lmao 2 goggles.

It's actually even better when you put on the Roving Trader's hat, outfit, and goggles, and walk around with three pairs of goggles on at the same time. :2bong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dead Man Posting posted:

I'm pretty much done with the OP for now. I will edit the top features to look a little better later and add in "top-5 favorite goon mods".

Speaking of which, what are the top five favorite goon mods?

I also will refer people to the main modding thread by Cream-of-Plenty, I just want something to jump start people into modding.

EDIT: My vote goes for Nevada Skies and that MTUI mods. Really I don't see much of a need to mod much more than that.

Project Nevada is pretty popular, though it can change the mechanics of the game significantly. If you're looking for some low-footprint mods that don't change the way the game plays, I know that Arenovalis' Weapons Retexture Project is solid. Simple to use, no plugins / FOMM / NVSE required. Just drag and drop the weapon retextures and invalidate the archives.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dead Man Posting posted:

Love this.

If you guys take clean pictures of your character with the HUD disabled, I'll put it up in the OP along with a link to your post telling your character's story. This is highly subjectable and limited though since I don't want to flood it with images.

Oh, boy. I have tons of screenshots you can use for the OP if you'd like. Not all of them are PCs, but I think they capture the spirit of the game nicely.

This last one, though, holds a special place in my heart. "The Pugilist" was a simple concept: Make a pugnacious little troll with an insatiable thirst for drink and a penchant for hitting things. His gimmick was choosing the rudest response in every set of dialogue options.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dead Man Posting posted:

Tell the story of the last one :allears:

The Pugilist had a thing for getting in over his head. It was always the drink, the Buffout, the punching. His boxing career ended before it started, spoiling in New Reno along with the dairy farm he won in staring contest. Couriering in the Mojave didn't turn out much better. After waking up with a bullet in his head, he chose to shelve his messenger bag. But he was left with a void: Questions unanswered; enemies on the loose. Things were bungled in Goodsprings...a lot of people got punched in the mix-up. A lot of shallow graves. It was a rocky start on the path to New Vegas, but the Pugilist knew better.

Somebody was going to get a knuckle sandwich.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Bash Ironfist posted:

New Vegas.jpg, right there! I'm curious as to what that axe is? Is it part of a mod? Or a vanilla weapon?

Looks like a Proton Inversal Axe from Old World Blues.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Knuc If U Buck posted:

They're really awful and embarrassing. No offence to the folks who came up with fleshed out lives for the pretend people.

Three of them were comedic, so I guess not only are you coming off as a tool, but you're also immune to comedy on a comedy site.

No, I don't think you "get" role playing games.
VVVVV

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 27, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

BURT is the best shotgun.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You all ironically posting about shotguns? Because shotguns are terrible. All of them. Give me laser and give me plasma.

This is wrong, both objectively and subjectively. Energy weapons are the cigarette filters of the future: Limp-wristed and completely disagreeable. You're disagreeable. All of you.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Carthag posted:

I just left the embassy and something exploded nearby and everybody there got real mad at me. Turns out I forgot I had put a pile of mines out in the road and just as I leave the door, this guy is walking straight towards them and steps on them after about 5-10 seconds. It took a couple tries, but I managed to jump out the door and shoot the mines before he steps on them. A random other guy died, but it seems they aren't as pissed at this outcome.

Why did you put a pile of mines in the road?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Pogue_Mahone posted:

So I am finally getting round to my second playthrough at New Vegas. This time I am playing it on my new PC rather than my PS3 though! So I was wondering if there is any mods that would be a good add to my second playthrough, but don;t change the game too drastically? I haven't touched the game since about 5 days after it was released and I powered my way through it.

Preface: Check out the New Vegas Modding thread. Pretty much everything I have in the OP is vouched for by the SA community, and I give some details on each mod so you can tell right away if it's something you'd be interested in.

Since you don't want to drastically change the gameplay, I'd assume overhauls like Project Nevada are out of the question. As CommanderCoffee said, the extra radio stations are nice to have (Existence 2.0 and CONELRAD) and fit the game nicely.

Graphically, you might want to check out Arenovalis' WRP (Weapons Retexture Project) and NMC's textures. WRP uses the same resolutions as the originals, but his work is basically incredible and there isn't much of a reason to not use it since it has no effect on performance. NMC's pack comes in three flavors and overhauls virtually every worldspace / object texture in the game. The smallest version uses the same resolutions as the originals, with the medium and large versions being twice and four times larger, respectively. Additionally, Vurt's Wasteland Flora Overhaul is pretty cool, and adds a bunch of vegetation to the the world that can really change the atmosphere of certain areas.

WME / WMX (use one or the other) overhaul the weapon modding system, basically doing what the GRA DLC does, but to everything...and for free. Pretty much every weapon now has three available modifications. AG Supplementary Uniques hand-places a bunch of (at least 70, last time I checked) really cool unique weapons to the game that all use vanilla assets, and are surprisingly well done and balanced. It'll keep you looking behind every desk and rock, like some sort of wasteland treasure hunt.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Do they pick up weapons on their own or something? I've noticed a couple times I go to dump trader junk in their inventory that they're full up where they weren't before.

Yeah, companions will pick up weapons they come across--and use them if the new weapon is somehow superior to the one they were previously using.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

jerichojx posted:

So does AG Supplementary Uniques have an .esp on FOMM?

I tried installing it but I can't find an .esp and I can't tell if the loot is inside

Yes. There is a base .esp along with separate .esps for each of the DLC. So if she's released a version for Lonesome Road, you should have 5 AG .esps activated. If you aren't seeing these plugins in FOMM, you either installed the mod incorrectly or downloaded a version that requires a previous version to already be present.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

rope kid posted:

Most of the invisible walls constructed in F:NV were done out of concern about sight lines into various locations. Most of these concerns turned out to be exaggerated, unfortunately. You tend to encounter them much earlier/more easily in F:NV than F3 because Goodsprings is located so close to the edge of the world and a number of steep mountains overlooking Primm.

At least for me, the effect was definitely exacerbated by the fact that I could clearly see a large chunk of worldspace on the map West of Goodsprings, but it took me a while to accept the fact that there was no way to get there. With FO3, the invisible walls generally followed a straight line along the extremes of your Pip-boy map, but it meanders a lot more in NV.

Also, this was back before Lonesome Road was a thing, so the vague graffiti directed at your character at the entrance to the Divide made trying to circumvent the invisible walls even more tantalizing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

CommanderCoffee posted:

Looks like Borous went to either Florida or California for high school. My vote's on Fremont, California.

American High, Fremont, was in my district but I'll be damned if we had any robot dogs. :colbert:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

I never plan on returning to DM, anything I should make sure I dont miss?

The gold.

Don't miss the precious gold.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Tsargon the Great posted:

New Vegas is a bit more understandable because civilization didn't come to the Mojave until fairly recently. Mr. House re-activated New Vegas in response to the arrival of NCR scouts in 2274, with New Vegas the game being set in 2281. Before New Vegas everything in the area, outside of a few small military establishments by the NCR, was just wandering tribes, who probably wouldn't have been building cities. And if you look at the settlements in the Mojave - the Mojave Outpost, Camp McCaran, Camp Searchlight, Camp Golf, Trading outpost 188, Nipton, Novac, Primm, Goodsprings - you'll see that everything is either a military installation or a boom town oriented around serving members of the military. No self-sufficient farming communities like Shady Sands; in fact the only large scale farming we see going on is explicitly staffed by NCR immigrants in order to feed NCR soldiers.

So since the occupation began 7 years ago, and everything in the Mojave is oriented around the occupation, that means everything (outside of Mojave Outpost and I think maybe Primm?) inhabited you see in New Vegas was built over the course of the last 7 years. Which, again, makes the fairly low level of civilization in the game understandable.

Technically Goodsprings doesn't really follow this trend. It's been around for longer than 7 years because Victor guesses that he's been hanging out at his owner's shack since 2266*. Even the sentiment of its residents is one of reservation regarding the NCR--people like Easy Pete give the impression that they don't like the NCR encroaching on their land. This would suggest that Goodsprings didn't pop up because of the NCR. The Fallout wiki even explains that Goodsprings was established as a way of remaining aloof of the NCR, and that it existed before the NCR really established itself in the area.

*Although Goodsprings' "Mayor", Trudy, can only confirm his claim back to 2276, which is only 5 years prior to the start of the game. So I guess the better question is who the hell was living in Goodsprings prior to this date. I know that Ulysses was originally supposed to have been from Wolfhorn Ranch, but I used to entertain the idea that he was the shack's original inhabitant. Something about the flag on the outside always seemed to be a subtle clue.

Beyond that, I think you're pretty much spot on. The only significant towns that would preclude the NCR's presence were places like Jacobstown, Black Mountain, and Bitter Springs (pre-NCR Refugee Camp). All of these are--or were--inhabited by tribals and mutants that were less interested in rebuilding society and more in claiming a piece of the Wasteland to call their own.

EDIT: When did the NCR first appear in the Mojave, anyway? The only date I can find is ~2253, when the timeline mentions that NCR citizens were killed by Mojave Raiders.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 10, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Brace posted:

I wish there was more wasteland to the Mojave to be honest. I really like the atmosphere and environment of a more structured rebuilt society, as far Obsidian could go with gamebryo anyways, but I'd also have liked to have seen a lot more raiders and just general terrible poo poo going on seeing as it is still a post apocalyptic world.

That's Fallout 3. :ssh:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Chronological order isn't always the best for storytelling; anything that has any sort of twist or reveal isn't going to work like that. Imagine Memento in the right order, or following Spacey from before the start of The Usual Suspects.

This is why I dislike Bethesda's general approach to storytelling. Set a sequel too far ahead of the previous games? Now you have to shoehorn everything into the current setting, even if it doesn't make sense chronologically speaking.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dead Money - > I found the Plasma Axe to be really effective on the cyberdogs.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Honest Hearts - > Found Ulysses; punched his head clean off. :clint:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Tewratomeh posted:

I'll begrudgingly admit that I love Dead Money. The gameplay mechanics are complete bullshit, but not without reason so it's okay. The atmosphere and characters are really good though, so that more than makes up for any annoying parts.

On the subject, how frustrating is Dead Money on Hardcore mode? From the loading screens, it's implied that not only are your hunger and dehydration a concern, but your health actually drains over time. I'm not sure I'd want to put up with that on a Hardcore run.

It's really not bad. I played Dead Money Hardcore, underleveled, with Project Nevada and all of the loot lists at ~10% of what they are by default. It was pretty tense and fun.

EDIT: I don't think the fog can actually kill you...it just seems to whittle your health down to 10 HP or so. The thick obstacle clouds still kill, but I've never died by simply being outside for too long.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

New Vegas Theory #5:

Using Yes-Man to take over New Vegas leads to his software being upgraded to "No-Man" (as in, "No Man", aka Robot.) House's fail-safe kicks in, and with new found assertion, New Vegas becomes a mechanical blemish on the face of the Earth, devoid of life, slowly spreading, assimilating all it comes in touch with.

Eventually you assume House's place, surrounding yourself with insane delusions of creating the perfect example of man. Basically, you become a robot version of the Master.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

SpaceMost posted:

Fallout Tactics spoiler: Robot Master = the Big Bad of Fallout Tactics.

Did that even need to be spoilerized at this point?

I know, I tried to work the Calculator into the theory but it just wasn't having it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Bring back Ian.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Have him like a Mysterious Stranger deal. Only he targets the PC.

This makes me laugh every time I think about it.

*Mysterious Stranger Twang plays*

Clad in a leather jacket and acid-wash jeans, Ian pops out from behind a rock. He aims a 10mm SMG at you and burst fires. Your head pops off and your upper-torso is shredded to bits. Somehow you still manage to scream.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Someone needs to do Fallout Mad Libs. It would be entertaining.

Benny put on his fat coat and farted to the Great Khans. "We're going to eat poopsocks, boys. You'll get your money when we farted."

One of the Great Khans was shitheaded and fartier than the rest. "You'd better have our poopsocks, Benny," he farted.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Seriously, though. Max level with all the best equipment in Big MT and you're still borked. Makes me wonder if the enemies there level with the player.

They do (to an extent.) I'm playing through OWB with a LVL 7 guy right now and the weapons and health they normally have access to are markedly inferior than, say, starting OWB at LVL 20.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Eiba posted:

I almost get the impression that the story of Lonesome Road wasn't finalized when they were still dropping hints about it. It's just kind of... awkward.

This all reminds me of Lost. When Lost ended, I got the distinct feeling that nobody had ever figured out how to end it properly. The momentum of the gonzo plot got away from its creators, and no amount of explaining could ever corral it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

jackofarcades posted:

What are some fun builds to use? I've already done a sniper build, and now I'm doing a one-handed crit build. I also did a power fist build right when the game came out, I might do it again.

Explosives builds are usually pretty fun.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

I have an extremely important question.

Why does my data files menu look like this.

edit: oh, I thought this was the modding thread.

Don't use the built-in Data Files manager to control your plugins. It always ends up looking like a soup-sandwich because you can't rearrange the order of your mods, so everything is sort of haphazardly dumped into the window based either off of alphabetical order or "date created". Use FOMM instead.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

hairrorist posted:

Does anyone else have awful performance in Dead Money? I've gone from clipping along at 60 frames outside at 1920x1080 with Ojo Bueno and many other texture tweaks and graphics mods to barely 15 in this DLC. The gas just kills the engine.

The gas isn't what kills the engine. Do yourself a favor and when you stutter, stop looking around and type 'twf' into the console. This enables wireframes (and murders your framerate even more.) You should now be able to see that the game renders really large chunks of Dead Money's areas in full detail, even when there's no way you can see any of it. The lack of occlusion culling, combined with dense, detailed environments, is what kills framerates.

It's a common issue, and the only solution I've found to minimizing its effect is to cap FPS at an arbitrary amount--in my case, 45 FPS--to reduce the stuttering and sudden FPS drops.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

hairrorist posted:

Is the frame limit the "iFPSClamp=0" line in FalloutPrefs.ini? Do I just change the value to the desired clamp or do I set it to 1 and then edit a different line to set the clamp?

No, I used the Fallout Stutter Remover to do it. Trying to change "iFPSClamp" in the .ini will just make things act really strange.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Learning from a book you write for yourself is only marginally less bizarre than learning from multiple books you write for yourself on the same subject.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Corte posted:

Echoing what Jerusalem said only I don't have other games so I am starting up a new run of F:NV! Decided to try out being a woman this time however it occurs to me the only path I haven't taken is pro-Legion, is that possible as a woman? I recall them being rather sexist...

Yeah it's possible to play a Legion run as a woman.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Bash Ironfist posted:

Is that an achivement? Do you have to eat a certain number of people? Gotta try that.

Towns I've cleared(murdered everyone): Goodsprings, Primm, Novac.

This is the most fun build I've made so far. Using Chopper to...chop. :c00lbert:

"Meat of Champions" is an achievement involving you killing and eating four particularly important characters in the game.

The King, Mr. House, Caesar, and Kimball.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Chairman Mao posted:

I always leave my companions with their default weapons because.

B) I don't know if they're going to throw their sweet guns away when they run out of ammo for them.

The other two are very good points but I should point out that companions will hold on to weapons after they run out of ammo for them. The only instance of a companion ditching a weapon is if it is destroyed / knocked out of their hand and they don't pick it back up.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Kharmakazy posted:

Happens more often than you might think. Ive watched dozens of guns fly out of hand shooting from the hip.

There should be a perk for that... "Go ahead, Draw..." Player has greatly increased ability to target an enemy's weapon in VATS.

I know it happens a lot, but I was clarifying that your party members don't just ditch their weapons when they're empty. There are a few mods that add exactly that sort of perk, actually, including More Perks.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Kharmakazy posted:

Misunderstood, my bad,

Are any of the perk packs worth messing with? the ones I read seemed OP at best.

Cirosan Classic Overhaul, specifically the additions to perks and traits.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Ragg posted:

Is there a good high resolution map for this game with stuff marked, or maybe an interactive map? The one on the wiki would be pretty good if it was a tad bigger, or if the high res version had mouseover labels. Just wondering if there's anything better out there.

Edit: managed to find this, about as good as it gets I suppose. http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/959559-fallout-new-vegas/faqs/62652

For in-game, Colored's New FNV Worldmap or Shiloh DS Colored Map and Icons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

toadee posted:

So is there like a super quick way to get through Dead Money? I don't really have a convenient save from before I went in for some stupid reason, and unless things really look up after gather the other collars, I don't really think this is my cup of tea in terms of DLC. I just don't really enjoy the whole survival/horror aspect at all.

It sounds like DM just isn't your thing, but I will say that things pick up once you get into the Casino. Relatively speaking, you're about halfway to that point.