Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I finished Hoover Dam carrying the flag of the Bear on my back for the first time. It feels... Really awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Isn't Detroit supposed to be like a churning sea of feral dogs in Fallout or something? That'd rule. Michigan might be too depressing a location to set an apocalyptic survival game, though.

RON BURGUNDY WAS RIGHT.

Zorak posted:

Given how the quests with the Institute in FO3 worked, I wouldn't be surprised if they did the New England area for the next Fallout. Especially since civilization apparently has re-developed a ton in that area (somehow?)

I always thought it was that MIT didn't get hit.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jerusalem posted:

I was boring and just unloaded four or five rounds of A Light Shining In The Darkness into his head, but it will always be memorable to me because I made the goddamn motherfucking MONSTER OF THE EAST! try to run like a coward. I say "try", because I shot him down in the mud like I was Jack Palance in Shane :clint:

I used a Ranger Sequoia, cause that's how I roll. I realize it's already a semi-unique but god drat I wish there was a special one of those.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Assumethisisreal posted:

Did you learn nothing from Daniel in HH? :colbert:

Did YOU learn nothing from Randall Dean Clark? "If anyone tries to hurt them, to strike back with righteous vengeance" indeed.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

steady posted:

Just look at their gear. Weapons are crude and primitive, armor is pilfered from some sports-gear warehouse.

Caesar's weaponry is primitive because it's manufactured by the Legion, rather than being scavenged from Old World ruins. You can see a guy making Legion Machetes at Fortification Hill.

As for the rest of the economy, apparently the Legion's trade networks are far more reliable (and probably profitable) than the NCR's. Compare Cass' stories about being pretty much totally on her own to the trader at Fortification Hill, who when you ask about bandits he's like "Bitch, please. I'm trading under the Legion's colors; nobody fucks with me."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Isn't there a cubicle at REPCONN with like a million nuka-cola bottles in it too? Figure they were just kinda gross dudes.

I assumed those bottles were to pee into. Am I wrong?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jerusalem posted:

If Boone had paid more attention during the history classes they didn't teach at the bombed out remains of what could have been his school, maybe his wife wouldn't have been sold into slavery :colbert:

Wasn't Boone from back west in NCR's core territory? He probably went to an actual school actually.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He also has 1 CHA; I'm disappointed Obsidian didn't make him look like Sloth.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Everything. I installed the underwater vault house with the sorters and the display shelves so it fans the flames of my hoarding. It's just shelves of guns and ammo, or food and drink, or currency, or drugs. It arranges them on shelves and walls FOR ME! How can I resist?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's just calledUnderwater Home. It currently only supports DM DLC but someone new started work on it recently, so that is something.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

JawKnee posted:

Actually the one I was referring to is called the Underground Hideout and currently supports all the dlc except GRA. http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37884

Aaaaaagh. It's gonna take FOREVER to move all that stuff...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dush posted:

You could open the console and use TGM. It removes your weight limit.

It's more the act of picking up everything that had been sorted onto shelves.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

cat with hands posted:

Is there a way to reset a DLC area after you complete it without starting a new game?

Thinking about Honest Hearts...

Uncheck the DLC files you want to restart.
Load your save game.
Save your game.
Exit the game.
Recheck the DLC.

Then, it should be like you never started it at all.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Naky posted:

Annexed is not the same as 'wiped the gently caress out'. They would have zero reason to raze the resources and taking over a country doesn't relocate all of its cities so... question still stands.

Well, the US army had imposed martial law before the war (FO1 opening video pretty much spells that out), so I imagine poo poo went absolutely berserk when the bombs fell, in wherever wasn't hit. Even in places that weren't hit, everything still pretty much goes to poo poo after the war, like the Survivalist and Raul tell us, and I don't think having US Army troops in power armor executing dudes in the street helps that.

Best case scenario? Canadian wilderness regresses to a pre-Industrial state, worst case it's overrun by giant mutant animals that hunger for human flesh.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sheen Sheen posted:

Isn't it pretty much a given that someone will make Fallout: New York as long as the series remains profitable? It's more or less the most iconic American setting in existence, and given Fallout's Americana thing I have to imagine that it will happen at some point (this is also why I don't think Fallout: Canada will ever happen)

Sad thing is, I'm pretty sure it will end up like a comment I saw on the trailer for one of the NV DLCs on YouTube.

"Fallout 4 will be awesome it will be in New York and you can be a brotherhood from the start and start with power armor and the brotherhood will be in the Statue of Liberty and the Enclave will be in the Empire State Building and you'll fight to take over New York from the evil Enclaves."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Alouicious posted:

Yes, because there were never any kind of distinguished and unique towns based on pre-war cities in the first two games. Also, New Reno doesn't exist, and certainly wasn't a place you could go in 2.

Redding, Modoc and Klamath are all modern towns as well.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bilal posted:

Yeah, that was me. I go a little further into my reasons in the second comment I made below. Look at the character concepts I mentioned I played in NV, and my experience with how each character "roleplayed" the same save what they were wearing.

What I mean by "larping" is the kind of thing where someone playing Oblivion will take off their armor before sleeping in a bed. Hell, I've done it in Skyrim where I'll switch to "civilian" clothes when I'm waltzing about town.

Like I said in the comments: that's playing dress up. All I can say is if wearing a Desperado Cowboy Hat and using the .357 with the Cowboy perk throughout the whole game really does give you a truly compelling roleplaying experience, go for it.

Using single shot weapons like revolvers and carbines is a different play style as much as using machine guns or sniper rifles or explosives. You're really oversimplifying by saying that people who liked the "cowboy" style only did so because they like playing virtual dress-up.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ze Pollack posted:

It features Caesar closing off with something to the tune of "And then you walk into my tent, surrounded by my personal guards. You've got balls, kid. Tell me why I shouldn't kill you right here and now."

Response option: "You guaranteed me safe passage."

Caesar: "And you believed it, which means you're dumber than I thought."

Which he follows with "relax, I'm loving with you."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Unless you're literally pretending to be a person in a video game pretending to be something else. That's the sort of thing that'll give you brain cancer.

Isn't that what you're doing when you play as a member of the Legion? You're pretending to be a post-apocalyptic courier who is pretending to be a Roman.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pope Guilty posted:

I save all my Turbo for murdering Caesar. You have no idea how happy the turbo implant perk from OWB made me.

I like to scream "HULKAMANIA!!!" when I use it

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bilal posted:

And this wraps around to my original concern about character progression in RPGs. Should a player who wants to use a low tier weapon, like the 9mm pistol, through the entire game have the chance to get the same DPS/combat effectiveness as a character who switches to more powerful weapons when they become available? In my opinion, character progression is a crucial part of an RPG, and there's no equipment progression if you use the same weapon from beginning to end.

I don't understand why you're trying to argue against something that doesn't exist in the game. You DON'T use just one gun in the cowboy archetype. You work your way up to the ranger sequoia and the brush gun.

Please explain to me what point you're trying to make here.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Running any mods?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Captain Walker posted:

Also, the Legion and NCR have grand sweeping ambitions for the rest of America. House doesn't. His ending is basically "get off my lawn, whippersnappers" and if he gets the Mojave he seems content to turn it into his personal playground, where freedom isn't free but safety and peace are only 2,000 caps. He has no illusions that his philosophy will work anywhere but Vegas. But the NCR seems to think they can bring democracy to Arizona, and if the Legion isn't stopped they'll try and conquer California. House believes the best hope for stability is keeping both factions as far away from each other, and himself, as possible.

E: When he says the Yes Man ending is the Courier's personal ego trip he's not kidding, and the posters above me are proof, intentionally or no. The Wild Card ending is incredibly risky for Vegas and unlikely to end well unless you really put as much thought into it as House put into his plans. Considering the ruler of Vegas in this case ends up being not the guy with centuries of calculations under his belt, or even the Courier, but goddamn Yes Man...

Didn't rope kid say Yes Man doesn't turn on you?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Stroth posted:

Really no weirder than the colony of super mutants running experiments on cyborg nightstalkers to cure their invisibility induced insanity. Besides, I thought that was one of the better quests in Fallout 3.

It's two people, not an entire colony, and chimeric animals have existed in Fallout since FO1. Blade Runner replicants, though? Whole different bag.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Giggily posted:

I really wish I wasn't approaching it from a roleplaying standpoint, but for some reason I just can't really metagame in New Vegas like I can in Bethesda games. Somewhere in the back of my mind I always feel like a dirty cheater for bringing in foreknowledge, and to a lesser extent just going and doing something because I know it'll give me a good reward. At the same time whenever I play Morrowind I usually have a full suit of Ordinator armor and Daedric weapons.

I am a crazy person about Fallout I guess.

Bethesda games are, at heart, more about sandbox than characters. I think that's the main difference.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lord Lambeth posted:

Does Arcade completely leave you once you do his quest? I wanted to pal around together with out Enclave Power armor, shooting fiends in the face with overpowered energy weapons.

He does not. Depending on what you tell him he may or may not be available for the final quest though.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lord Lambeth posted:

He can do that? I always hoarded all of my aid items. You do get a place to store all your junk when you get to the Strip. Or if you have Old World Blues you get a house immediately.

Don't forget the player home in Novac, which I got long before Vegas.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Roobanguy posted:

Only if you have a Liked reputation there I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, the Bright Family quest and Boone's recruitment push you to liked, then you get the room key.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DemonNick posted:

They were all slaughtered, which isn't really a retcon because it's really, really hard to avoid that happening.

You can only avoid it by not getting their ending at all, right? Their happy ending is bugged and was never fixed.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DemonNick posted:

I thought the only working train in the game was the monorail from McCarran to the Strip, which is reserved for VIPs and soldiers.

If I recall, the Powder Gangers shut down NCR plans to run trains further into the Mojave. Most likely end of the line is somewhere around the Outpost.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

zacd posted:

So I just started this game like an hour ago, defended Goodsprings, and was headed out to Primm when a giant scorpion ran into town and killed Trudy (saloon owner). Will this screw anything up? I'm guessing not but just want to make sure before I go farther...

You are honestly not railroaded into much in this game. You can lock yourself out of some quests and paths through the game through your actions, but there's nothing where you can make yourself completely unable to get to the ending.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Merry Magpie posted:

Cars? I'd be satisfied with a horse! They worked in Oblivion so the framework was already there.

Fake edit: I am aware that canonically horses are extinct. Bethesda should have included them anyway simply for the benefits to exploration.

Two words. Robot horses.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

3Romeo posted:

Is there a way to play DLC again after you've beaten it? Like a console command to reset it? I really want to go to The Divide again and listen to Ulysses. :allears:

edit: And Graham. :allears: :allears:

You'll lose all the loot, but you can save, disable the ESM for that DLC, save your game again, then enable it again and load your save.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Coughing Hobo posted:

I definitely let go. Of the grenade that blew him up.

The only regret I have for Dean is that I couldn't end him like I usually do: with a .45-70 round to the skull.

FOR VALOROUS SERVICE AGAINST ALL TYRANTS.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Caps as money kind of makes sense in the New Vegas setting, since they're backed by water merchants. They make no sense in FO3 but that's normal. In Van Buren, they were using chips as currency. Maybe that was the idea?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I always thought 1 cap = 1 cap full of water.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think that the Wild Card path backed by House's securitron army is the best outcome because it's you, and you know what you're in it for. But excluding that, I've always felt that assassinating Colonel Moore at the Battle of Hoover Dam would put NCR on a better path. Maybe if you could also convince Hsu to step up and accept the promotion.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Didnt rope kid say that he wouldn't? His new "assertive programming," if I recall, was locking everyone but you out or something like that.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Wouldn't the Securitrons take out anybody who tried to get in the Lucky 38 without authorization though? Just cause its open to YOU, doesn't mean anyone can just come and go. That's why the place stays empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Kharmakazy posted:

OR, they wander in and find Yes Man and a couple of securitrons just chillin. In a fit of fear and surprise yells "Robots! gently caress me!" Then comes the most epic struggle of machine vs flesh ever recorded.

Second most, if you sampled FISTO's delights for yourself.