Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Zilkin posted:

You guys make this game sound so good, was thinking of waiting for GotY edition but now I don't know. Whats holding me back is that the game + all the DLCs cost like 70 euros on Steam. Is this game really worth that?
I don't know if it helps, but I thought Fallout 3 was pretty boring in every aspect, and Fallout New Vegas was a game I absolutely adored. (Never played 1 or 2 though). I guess what I liked about New Vegas was:

-Cooler environment, even if still a wasteland, it was a lot more enjoyable and varied. Less green too.
-Interesting story. Suffice to say, I felt like each quest was getting me closer to the conclusion and side-quests usually provided a tangible benefit to the main story-line.
-Likeable characters. Lily :allears:
-Cowboys n cowgirls!
-Vegas
-Hearing about my beautiful home-state of :ca:

I figure if you liked Fallout 3 then Vegas should be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Zilkin posted:

Well I bought it, was even wrong about the price, the game + DLCs was only 60 euros, not 70 :v: Anyway if this game really is a lot better than Fallout 3, which I also liked, that money should be well spent.

Please report some thoughts after you've been acquainted with it enough :)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Cervixalot posted:

Are there any 'don't miss' sidequests or areas I should hit up in an NCR - good karma playthrough?

It's nitpicky but by the time I finished playing, the NPR seemed like huge dicks. Still though, compared to running with Legion, they're alright. But but NPR doesn't play around. Even though its kidna know, it just surprised me in a sense. They were kinda alright to begin with. I think next run, i'll do the lone wolf approach.

^^^^ Kudos to you for showing this thread the glory that is Lily. :allears:

buglord fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 27, 2011

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I'm kinda new to the Fallout lore, but here's a dumb question which I think probably gets asked a lot. New Vegas takes place in 2281, how come everything feels like the 1950's only with huge convoluted machines like explosive atomic cars and clunky robots? I like the style, because its quite refreshing from other games that take place 'in the future'. But how is everything still all old fashioned? My guess is the Great War, but that started in 2077 and even then that's over 100 years from 1950.

Also looks like I'm going to reinstall this and maybe play as some hotshot gunslinger.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

robot roll call posted:

Should I avoid those for now, or will it tell me when I reach the point of no return?

If I remember, there was a nice huge popup before the final missions that said once you start them, there's no going back. So you should be alright up to that point.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Network42 posted:

I found my Fallout 1 spiral-bound manual the other day, and actually made Mushroom Clouds. They are delicious. That is all.

Are you saying the manual come with a recipe? If so that's actually pretty cool.

Also are there any mods that allow you to gain skill by working on the skill? Like Skyrim or Oblivion where you would level up Sneak by going around in the night shadows or gain lockpicking skill by doing it often.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Regarding the loveable Benny: Even though this guy has tried killing me twice already, I don't want to sully my karma by killing him when tied up in Caesar's camp. If I give him a stealth boy and a bobby pin, will he be gone for good after he escapes? I feel like he's going to try another backstabbing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah the mod im using comes with Perk-every-level. The grind just gets too much when all you get are skill points. Perks are fun and make the game a bit more interesting.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I just finished Dead Money (I'm doing the DLC's in order) and I thought it was refreshing that I had to revert to scavenging and exploration since I couldn't rely on my deathrays. I also thought collecting the coins all over in exchange for health items was cool. Same with going through toxic clouds in hopes of finding supplies/weapons.

But once I got my survival bearings, the combat got really old. The ghost people were really spongy and they did an absurd amount of damage. They'd hop around and aiming became a bit of a nightmare. Not to mention all the hidden radios/speakers that would make my collar go off. They were littered as much as the bear traps. While at first it hammered home the idea of "be careful and watch your steps", they both became incredibly tiresome as the DLC went on.

On the flipside, the characters were enjoyable as was the plot-line. But the sponge-ghosts and radios left a bad taste. I'm glad it's over, although it was a welcome change of pace. Onto the next DLC.

buglord fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 19, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Speaking of Cazadores, what's the best way to deal with them(especially more than one) ? In most combat scenarios I'm forced to use VATS since their flying is nearly impossible to land hits with. I'm sporting a Guns build so anything that doesn't get hit can kill me within 2 stings.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I started the DLC's at level 18, now im at Old World Blues at 31. All the robots are incredibly strong and deadly, even those multi-armed floating octopus things that talk in British accents. The weird humans running around in hospital gowns die easily at least. But this is the hardest DLC yet.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I just wish it wasn't so frustrating. I'd rather them take my weapons like Dead Money and fight regular health mobs with scavenged guns and slowly build up to being dangerous again. Not outright make every non-energy weapon a BB gun. (Although I think I read this DLC suffers scaling issues if you play it late like I did, to be fair). Aside from it, Fallout handles non-serious very well. The game is so goofy both in plot and gameplay glitches that it's hard to get emotionally swayed.

Except Lily, that little backstory gets me every time :smith:.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
The Trail Carbine is an amazing gun. With the exception of DLC's, this thing has carried me from level 10 or 11 all the way to 30. It's a shame because I installed a huge weapons pack mod with all sorts of modern and tacticlol guns, but this thing works so much better.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Re factional morality chat: isn’t the best choice to kill Mr House and rule New Vegas for yourself? Then you can headcanon whatever future you want after that.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
If im going optimal savior independent ending route, is there anything I should be aware of with regards to Benny/Mr.House/Caesar?

Since I'd be forced to kill Benny at The Fort anyway, I decided to kill him with the Black Widow perk. (But I didn't sleep with him because my independent courier doesn't need the arms of a man). Am I cheating myself out of any major content/positive ending outcomes if I immediately put a bullet into Mr. House and Caesar when im strong enough? The rest of the game would be spent making everyone else happy, but im not sure if the order im doing this causes any unforeseen consequences.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Isn't the independent ending literally just a libertarians wet dream?
I mean I basically mentally write in the independent ending as "things get better for every honest person in the mojave". So I guess if that means some sort of libertarian paradise then so be it.

What happens if you "accidentally" goof up on Caesar's surgery? Are you next in command? I feel like Caesar already has someone pre-selected before he lets you operate on his brain, just to prevent those "accidents" from happening.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

simmering posted:

The legion was completely unappealing to me because of the extreme misogyny.l

I feel like most of the Caesar-sympathetic players are male gamers. If there were magically as many female gamers as there are male, I wonder if there would be more complaints that joining caesars legion is a non-option.

Its sort of the same reason why I hardly play the Nazis in any WW2 game. Hard to immerse myself in that experience when “winning” means me, my family, and most of my friends get exterminated. Unfortunately that mindset locks me out of a lot of content across many games. But it’s the side effect of inserting myself into the player-character’s body.

Of course maybe I’m an anomaly and no one else does this and this post becomes really embarrassing, in that case welp.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

JawKnee posted:

it is nice that someone came along and did it right shortly after though

Now will anyone do that after Fallout 4? :ohdear:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I like how intelligent super mutants can be in New Vegas. Unless I’m visiting the wrong areas, they’re all brain dead fantasy ogres in Fallout 4.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Sheen Sheen posted:

The godawful settlement system?

This is half the reason why im putting up with all the other terrible parts of FO4. I even installed a storyline mod which removes all references to Sean being my kid because god that entire thing is insufferable. Im likely brokebrained in liking settlement building so much, but it feels so good, good enough to deal with the fact that I hate most of FO4s characters, aside from Ironsides and Hancock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Neurolimal posted:

In nerdy terms: it's like his personality/what made him Rex was loaded into RAM while his harddrive was replaced

I’ve never really understood how Rex’s operation worked until this post. God that sucks for him.