Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Wolfsheim posted:

I have played this game for 100+ hours and am still stumbling onto stuff I missed. I didn't even know there was an Aerotech Park or a North Vegas my first three times through.

I completely missed The Thorn the first two playthroughs until somebody told me about it. The entire area north of New Vegas is inconspicuous in general since there's very little plot pushing you that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

With the availability of countless gun mods for PC, the Gun Runner's pack seems like poor value purely from a consumer's POV (I understand a lot of work may have gone in from the developer's side). But a properly modeled Bozar is tempting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dead Man Posting posted:

In the Factions section of the OP, I put up Mr. House's face. I admit that after hours of play, I am just used to it, but do you guys think it is a spoiler? If so, can someone help me make up a faction banner trying to use non-spoiler stuff for House with the same image porportions as the other two?

As a suggestion, maybe you could use a picture of Victor (with a mention of how he's Mr. House's property as we're told at the very beginning of the game). It's not much of a spoiler since he's one of the first NPCs you encounter.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Berk Berkly posted:

Well we have integrated tutorials, Wiki/FAQs, and other online material now so 100 page manuals are completely unnecessary but back in 1996/prior that was about the most comprehensive quick reference you had for a game. Also Bloodlines and Deus Ex where RPG-FPS hybrids from the start, and both exceptional PC games.

I do find some cosmic justice in the fact that the people who made the first two games made FO:NV so much better both technically and content wise. OWBs blows away anything Bethesda did several times over.

The originals hardly required you to read 100 page manuals to get playing.

And who did you mean, Chris Avellone and Feargus Urquhart?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jet Jaguar posted:

Vault 11 is still my favorite vault to explore. "Walk towards the light."

My personal Vault story is from 34, and for me it epitomizes how immersive the new Fallouts can be. (Still prefer the originals on balance, but it's apples and oranges really).

I had a small supply of RadX and RadAway when I entered and I told myself I'd only take a peek round the first floor before leaving to resupply. But you know how it is, you check one nook, you have to check that cranny. I was also stingilty rationing my RadAway lest I find some other compartment I had to pilage, and never having suffered from radiation poisoning before, I wasn't certain how much I could take.

Panic struck when I was ambushed by a group of glowing ghouls and my radcount instantly spiked, pushing me into radiation poisoning. I checked and still had two or so RadAways, and I was relieved to find out these nullified the bad effects. But I was really freaked when just about at the same time I started seeing blue. Long term consequence of irridiation? I didn't know, but it really punctuated how badly I needed to get out of there. However, my morbid curiosity had led me three floors down, and I wasn't certain which way led out. I easily get claustrophobic losing any sense of orientation, so it's only natural that I soon ended up knee deep in reactor coolant. Anyway I was legitametly scared like a motherfucker. I was out of antiradiation chems, running low on stims, and my vision was blue. And I was moving slower, much slower. I was effectively crawling. I was certain I was dying. In a last ditch effort I opened my pip boy determined to make sense of the local map function (the layout never made sense to me, and I never before had the need to use it). I found my bearings, realizing just then how the quest marker points to the nearest exit. Following that trail I slogged through hallway after hallway, footstep after footstep. It was excruciating for me the player sitting in front of my computer. It took forever, and all the while I was convinced I was going to melt into a radioactive pool any second. There were actually a few more times when I lost my way - but somehow, after close to an hour (I poo poo you not) of shambling on one foot (that's what it felt like), I finally saw the vault enterance, and crawled that stretch out of the cave.

I quickly travelled to the doctor at Camp Forlorn Hope as soon as I saw the Mojave. Paid for the radiation treatment. But my trudging step continued. I considered for a second that the game had permanetly crippled me - but these aren't the 90s, so no. I tried sleeping and Fixers, but to no avail. I was certain at that point that it had to be a bug, reloading didn't help. Then I thought to check the Caps Lock. Oh.

I think the blue vision was a consequence of using so many chems in a short span of time. But since it was the first time I experienced it and it came entirely out of the blue (:downsrim:) it was quite terrifying.

[Please don't knock this for fan fiction. This is a pretty accurate account of what happened]

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Yes Man is a bit more sinister if you are aware that he is capable of being plenty assertive from the beginning and just playing you like a fiddle by applying to your (the players) ego to get you thinking you'll actually have any power in New Vegas, while in reality you are just making Yes Man himself the new power of New Vegas. Essentially the same as Mr. House, but a robot instead of a life-prolonged human in charge, and Yes Man doesn't even owe you anything at the end, because he made you think you took advantage of his niceness.

It's pretty brilliant to convince the player they are doing something for themselves, while in reality just using them.

And it works, because most people aren't even aware of it.

Aren't you extrapolating? All we're really told is that Yes Man undergoes a personality change at the end of the game. The end slide narration doesn't suggest at all that the courier wasn't the one in charge of New Vegas. Unless I'm missing something.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

From rope kid's formspring response, I don't understand why they simply couldn't have adjusted the DLC accordingly to each platform's load ordering (i.e., have a version for each platform). But, either way, there's got to eventually be a mod that replaces vanilla weapons into their GRA equivalents.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Did Fallout start downloading an update yesterday for anybody else who has it on Steam? I can't find anything about it online, and it's really pissing me off, my internet connection is slow and it looks like I won't be able to play this weekend as it updates the whole 9GB.

I get this every time I restart the computer. It is a major annoyance. ATM without using an alternate launcher the game just won't start. I'm not certain how common it is but there are other people with the problem. It may be related to modding, but it started being iffy out of the blue, a few weeks after I'd installed the last mod. I'm going to try a full clean install after wiping the entire directory (sans backed up saves), but I've already had to re-"update" the game in full (all 9 gigs of it) three or five times, it ridiculous.

e:

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Weird, Steam crashed while it was showing me as having 100MB of 9400MB downloaded, and when I restarted it shows me now at 6800MB of 9400 downloaded. It looks like it's not actually downloading the whole thing, it's just updating files like when patches come out and scare you to death making you think they have to download a few GB when it's just a few hundred MB. I have no idea why it's updating at all, though, I haven't changed anything or checked file integrity, and I haven't had any problems with NV at all since finishing Lonesome Road (which has been the only part of the game that crashed with any regularity for me).

It's done that to me a few times too, but occasionally it forces me to download in full.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I just realized you can shoot at powder ganger's dynamite when they're holding it. :aaa:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

:swoon: Interview with Tim Cain and Chris Avellone (and the dudes behind Nuka Break).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDOBp5ukZ3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zgt_2YPee0

I don't much care for either interviewer, and I think it's a shame to have both Cain and Avellone together only to have them spend half the time in silence listening to the fan filmakers. Most of the first part is on Nuka Break (I skipped through the Nuka parts, just not interested) but the rest is still worth a listen, missed opportunity and all.

Still seems insane(ly awesome) Tim Cain's part of Obsidian.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Am I misremembering, or should I be allowed to walk about the Fort armed after telling Caesar I blew up the bunker? This is the first time I killed House for him and I still have to relinquish my weapons every time I enter the fort.

And not so much as a single thank you from the rear end in a top hat.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

CVagts posted:

You always have to give up your weapons, unless you kill the guy who asks you and/or get them out of the crate.

I always kill Caesar so early I must've gotten confused. Thanks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I made off with thousands from Caravan in my first playthrough; haven't bothered trying in my subsequent runs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Haven't played OWB yet, so I can't compare, but the Freedom Force games are entirely self aware and intentionally hammy, usually to humorous effect.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

InfiniteNoodles posted:

I'm having a really bad stuttering issue where the game hangs for about a second every time a gauss impact effect goes off. This got really bad while I was fighting lakelurks with a gauss rifle while my companion used pushy. Anybody know how to fix this?

I had a stuttering issue related to water earlier, and turning down water multisampling fixed it. I'm kind of hoping there's a similar fix for this stutter because I really like the unique gauss rifle I just picked up.

You sure your card is up to snuff? I get similar problems with all energy weapon particle effects, but that's a problem on my end. Prevented me from doing a energy weapons run, which finally seem worthwhile and better balanced.

edit:
VVVDo you get any slow down when firing plasma guns? VVV

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 28, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Slow-down isn't the word for it, everything just stops for half a second with most energy gun effects. Grenade explosions tend to do this again as well.

Yeah that's pretty much what I get. I'd always assumed it was my relatively lousy card, but if your rig is decent this seems like really poor optimization.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Since we're all a bunch of Obsidian fanboys round these parts, I think it's appropriate to share here.

They're working on a SOUTH PARK game

edit:thread

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 1, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Timall posted:

I'm not sure if this has been addressed in the last 130 pages of the thread, but I've been having some issues with my copy of FNV.

I recently had all the DLCs gifted to me. Now, everytime I start Steam up, for some reason, Fallout New Vegas decides to re-download. Every single time. I have already installed and played through some of Dead Money, and I know there haven't been any updates for a while, so having to wait a few hours every time I want to play FNV is getting really loving annoying.

I've tried changing the update schedule to 'Never automatically download updates for this game' and I've attempted to verify the game cache (it always gets stuck on 100%) and I'm out of ideas. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how was it fixed? (if at all)

I had this a long time before owning any DLC. loving pain, I've complained in this thread before but there were few responses so it's good to hear it's not my system that's busted. For me it seems to restart the download every time I turn the computer on/reset. I've put off playing the game a few times because of being of being told to (again) redownload 70% of the files.

I do suspect, though, that it might be somehow related to mods - although after a clean re-installation I had the same download prompts.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Remains to be seen if this is true, but there are reports from Duck and Cover (which have been well informed in the past) that Bethesda and Interplay have finally settled their Fallout IP disupte.

Duck and Cover posted:

While I was away on vacation without internet for the last two weeks, I was sent transcripts and court documents from the latest Bethesda v. Interplay hearing. Other sites conjectured that a settlement was in the works between the two companies over Interplay's Fallout: Online MMO.

Today, DAC has confirmation that a settlement has, in fact, taken place. It actually took place the day of the trial - and had I been able to get online and sort through the documents I would have reported as much. We do not yet have the details of the settlement - they will be announced this month (January 2012) - but we can report that on the day of trial, the atmosphere in the court room was tense until the judge recessed. This recess was extended, and then they recessed for lunch. After the lunch recess, the court room was locked to everyone except attorneys and clients. When our source asked why this was the case, our source was told it was because they were working out a settlement. The following day, another source called the court reporter to ask what the next hearing schedule for the case was - this source was told there was no schedule as a settlement had been reached.

So there you have it. Bethesda v. Interplay settled and done after these long few years. Stay tuned to DAC in the near future for the settlement details. Will Interplay still be able to develop Fallout: Online? Did they give up the rights to do so for a truck load of money? Hopefully we'll have the answers soon.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The concept of LARPing in a video game is pretty meta, dude.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Which he follows with "relax, I'm loving with you."

It's funny how such a simple line can be so powerful in a video game. For a second I was thinking, "Crap. You got me. Expectations of narrative contrivances doused any sensible fear of entering the heart of a hostile encampment. That was dumb." I was elated to find out he simply had a sardonic sense of humor.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Vermain posted:

I don't think you'll get any disagreement that it's good to have weapons with different tactical choices inherent in them, but those tactical choices should be equally good in some fashion in order to allow people to roleplay a character as they wish. Having clearly "better" options can make it difficult for people to keep a concept intact.

Why? There's nothing wrong with striving for perfect balance, but as long as all builds are viable (which was arguably the case with FO1&2) why should all the paths be equally good? These are diametrically opposed design philosophies, but there can be room for both (in different games). And I'm not saying the original systems were great, but I did appreciate that - once you understood them - you could have radically different experiences with custom tailored builds. Some were more difficult than others and some would lead to frustration (not a good thing) but you could never really have an entirely hopeless character.

I don't feel strongly about this either way, I also like playing more rigidly balanced games, and I'm not saying it's something what system ultimately belongs in Fallout, either. I'm just opposed to framing the debate as good versus bad when I think both approaches have their merits.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

doomfunk posted:

:swoon: Wasteland 2 :swoon:

Here's hoping they stick with the Ranger angle and party-based gameplay..! Recruiting the best homies from Vegas feels like a very important part of the gameplay structure of Wasteland.

Fargo has been pretty adamant he wants it to be party based.

One thing I'm worried about - but I have no idea how these things actually work out in the industry - is that he says they don't have an engine pinned down. Isn't that something you should have properly established to get a meaningful estimate on production costs? The KickStarter's launching within weeks, so I'm uncertain how tied the target figure will be to actual production costs if the estimates are still based on vague preliminaries. Or, perhaps, Fargo's waiting to see how much the project raises, and then making those decisions accordingly.

Still curious to see how high they'll set the target.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

I can't improve the situation in Darfur no matter how rich and famous I get. I instead aspire to improve the state of the Western video game, and giving all my money to Obsidian seems like a good starting point.

Why would you type this?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's a fantastic read, thanks!

Honestly I think it should be required (or possibly enforced at gunpoint) reading for certain game designers.

I'd really like to read a transcript, because most of the slides themselves don't provide enough context of the talk.

Also, rope kid is a sexist pig confirmed:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Was this Sawyer's project? gently caress. Every other game cancelled.

It's hardly meaningful, but I wish you guys the best.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

STEP RIGHT UP, GET YOUR FREE FALLOUT (1997) RIGHT HERE! (gog.com)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

Ultimate Guide to Fallout.

tl;dr--Speech and Lockpick, plus a weapon skill you like. Be nice, do many quests, always investigate the situation before drawing your gun, take everything that isn't nailed down.

e: oh, and Charisma is useless even though Speech isn't. Dump it and put the points in Intelligence.

Or just go by your gut instinct and enjoy yourself. It's quite hard to outright gently caress yourself over. For a first run you should probably indeed get a combat skill, but you'd manage without one if you wanted to.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Vincent posted:

Is the GOG page being stupidly slow and the download crashing the browser of anyone else?

After sporadically trying to download the setup file every half hour or so for three hours, I finally got it to work. The servers will probably ease up soon enough.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kharmakazy posted:

Me too... I now own it on GoG, Steam, and have purchased over 12 physical copies of the fallout 1/2 pack over the years. I used to hand them out.

This gentleman here deserves a toast! Bravo, I raise my hat to you, sir. :wotwot:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I'm confused by all of this. FO1 had a bunch of timelimits that made you lose if you took too long (in at least 2 ways), and the companions in both games were more than capable of staying alive and are crazy good.

The bigger problem was staying alive yourself. In this year's GDC Tim Cain did a retrospective on Fallout's development, according to which companions were coded in a day (or in some similarly ridiculously short period of time) on a whim, and with no added scripting. There was effectively no companion AI. This results in a lot of friendly fire, some from your careless followers, some directed at that motherfucker Ian. This isn't really an issue in FO2.

And yeah, time limits can be a bitch the first time through when you don't know the world well enough. Cain actually wasn't a fan of the mechanic. According to him the whole developmental team was split on the issue, but it remained in the game in the end.

e:Here's his presentation for those interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa5IzHhAdi4

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 6, 2012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Am I missing something about how Home on the Range works? When I interact with a campfire I just get the typical crafting options.

e:Hmmm, weird. Some campfires give me the option, some don't. The campfire nearer to the trailer at the Goodsprings source does, the one father away does not.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 13, 2012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Raw_Beef posted:

Managed to get to the reactor, and sealed the reactor killing those inside, who i assumed would be ghouls if they did get set free, so screw em.

Nope.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

So how many gold bars did most people scrounge off the SM vault?

I'm guessing you have to abuse Turbo to getaway with the entire lot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Slate Action posted:

If you time it right, you can successfully sneak-walk away as Elijah approaches the vault. The gold is mine, all mine :unsmigghh:

The hilarious thing is I just dumped it all on my Lucky 38 suite bed and refuse to spend any of it.

I actually got credit for sneaking out and trapping Elijah in the Vault despite simply shooting him in the face.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Police Automaton posted:

I was a dick to Dean all the time and had no qualms of putting a bullet into his head.

I didn't have the option for a peaceful resolution, but with everything he did to Vera and Christine I didn't feel any pity for him.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Circle of Steel

Is this OWB stuff or did I miss something? I'm playing through the DLCs for the first time and still have OWB and LR to finish.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

fennesz posted:

This keeps happening to me too but I'm fortunate enough to see them first each time. I usually rip a few heads off before they can close very much ground, thank god for Paciencia.

Paciencia around level 12?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Smol posted:

Cliff Briscoe sells it in Novac. It's really not hard to collect the 10-15k required to buy it at that point. Playing caravan in Novac alone can net you close to 5k.

Yeah I sometimes forget jsawyer.esp isn't standard.

And I purposefully avoid Caravan; my first playthrough I ruined anyone willing to play.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

xanthan posted:

If you haven't upped it at all spend a level or 2s skill points on energy weapons and melee. You'll need it.

I was fine going in at level 20 with no points invested in those skills. There's plenty of bullets if you're not overly wasteful. You don't need points in melee to dismember fallen enemies either.