Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

GoldenNugget posted:

As for Honest Hearts, it's not bad. I certainly like how it's more open but I'm disappointed with the 1911 and all the .45 ACP weapons as they feel incredibly weak. Maybe it's because I'm level 35ish or whatever.

Haven't played OWB but I'm looking forward to it.

The regular .45 Auto Pistols are pretty weak. A Light Shining in Darkness is fairly powerful, easily the best non-revolver handgun in the game. With .45 Super rounds it's got a quick rate of fire, solid damage and an x2 crit chance multiplier. And the .45 Auto Submachine gun is a beast. Bear in mind you need to grab the Grunt perk to make these weapons worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

jisforjosh posted:

My first and only playthrough (including all the DLC except for Lonesome Road) was with a Sniper build using high Perception, Agility, and Luck. Things were a bit easy, so looking for suggestions on another build.

If you like Guns, try a Shotgun-only run. You've got a lot of versatility between buckshot, slugs and (in GRA) EMP slugs, and you have to be relatively close in order to hit anything. Between Shotgun Surgeon and And Stay Back you have some solid perks.

Otherwise, I dunno, man. Anything's harder than sniping.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money
Right, does anyone know for sure yet who you're meant to have rep with to get the Yes Man path/duster in LR?

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I think it's based on who you have progressed the farthest with, quest-wise, the moment you enter Lonesome Road.

I was on House's side when I first entered LR, but ended up leaving, and killing him, everyone important in the NCR, and Caesar. It still gave me mostly NCR dialogue throughout, and at the end I got the Mr. House duster.

Well, gently caress, I went in to grab the Riot Gear before I'd done any quests for anybody :suicide:

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money
GRA is up on steam now :woop:

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Knuc If U Buck posted:

It counts your faction rep when you talk to Ulysses in the temple, not when you enter the DLC.

It definitely counts your faction rep when he talks to you through ED-E, though. Like the first time he spoke to me on my first LR run he was going off about the NCR.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Dominoes posted:

Do the DLCs ever go on sale? I want to buy all of them! I've never bought DLC before, but might for this game.

It's pretty likely that this game and all its DLCs will be on sale on Steam next summer. Before then, though, who knows?

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Bigass Moth posted:

All you bros who've used shotguns in the game: which do you consider best? Riot Shotgun? I've been a 45-70 and 308 man for too long...

Also rope kid why no top tier GRA shotguns????

NONE of you scrubs have mentioned Dinner Bell? Man, the Hunting Shotgun (and Dinner Bell) own the hardest: in third person you pump the drat thing with one hand after reloading. :hellyeah:

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money
Switch to the country station for a while. Let's ride into the sunset together :allears:

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money
I think the main thing underlining NCR victory is that they're killing themselves with their constant drive east. Sure, they won the Mojave, and now the people there are going to live in relative peace and stability, but it glorifies Kimball's expansionism (and Oliver's block-headed dipshit-rear end tactics). The NCR aren't going to stop with the Mojave: they want America, and then where?

Ultimately that's NCR's real flaw. Cut them off in the Mojave, toss Oliver off the dam, send them back (and don't turn Hanlon in so he can denounce Kimball's expansionism with a clear name) and let them run their own land the way that's best for everyone :)

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

closeted republican posted:

Don't worry; I'm sure the Capital Wasteland Brotherhood of Steel will gently caress the NCR over if they ever get that far. I don't think some NCR conscripts will do well against dudes with whatever modified Enclave Power Armor and weapons the Captial Wasteland BoS is going to have. :v:

No shut up that's not canon :suicide:

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Noted Literally posted:

They broke the Brotherhood in the seat of its power, they can do it again. Although, given the less technophobic nature of the Capital BoS and the fact that an NCR ending of New Vegas can involve a degree of reconciliation with the Mojave Chapter, its not unreasonable to expect such a meeting could go peacefully.

I think its a little silly to claim that the NCR's expansion will inevitably kill them. Manifest destiny didn't end that way the first time.

Technically it did in the Fallout timeline. It sure wasn't diplomacy and respect for other nations that sparked the apocalypse.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money
I wonder how many more times rope kid's gonna have to explain the .esm/.esp conflict thing. :sigh: Patience of a saint.

edit: should've included an explanation as an in-game note with GRA.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Scorchy posted:

Fallout New Vegas - The perk itself is actually homophobic

I was running through the DLCs for the first time and got interrupted by the Diablo 3 and BF3 betas, but gonna start OWB today and so excited :3:. I hear you can remove a trait in OWB - can you remove Logan's Loophole? As I'm nearing level 30 and it seems like a cleverish thing to do.

Yeah, you get to change both of your traits, one time only.

Scorchy, what do you make of New Vegas? You're pretty familiar with Obsidian games (KOTOR 2 LP herp), do you think it's a better effort? More solid?

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

rope kid posted:

Whether you think it's a "legit" reason or not, it's actually to ensure that the Legion breeds as many new legionaries as it can at the fastest possible rate. The way it is communicated in game often comes across as "traditionally" sexist instead of "follow these gender roles for army min-maxing".

Did Caesar imply they'd knock that poo poo off, or at least tone it down, after they turn Vegas into their new Rome, or am I mis-remembering?

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

rope kid posted:

Yes, he does suggest that. He says that when the Legion dominates NCR, it will be akin to the rise of the Roman Empire following the republic. The Legion will become, if not a "peace" force, a domestic army instead of a roving war band, and the NCR's corruption will be swept away along with the government.

Arcade isn't exaggerating when he suggests that Caesar views the Colorado River as his Rubicon.

e: It's true that Caesar doesn't say anything explicitly about the role of women, but Caesar's view of women is different from most of the legionaries. As I wrote above, the Legion is at war, and he views the use of women for military purposes as a bad strategic choice when he could be using them to create more legionaries.

That still doesn't bode great for women :sigh:. They can quit churning out babies in breeding camps, and start to enjoy life as second-class citizens.

edit: This all just underlines the need for a solid, decent Legion companion. A face and a mouthpiece for the Legion who can be aggressive to enemies but not a complete jackhole to everybody you encounter. The possibilities.

Dush fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 2, 2011

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Rather Dashing posted:

Wasn't there a quote from a Bethesda dev that said something like 'Wasn't the Mojave fun - seems like there might be more to do there...'?

Don't toy with my heart :allears:

For anyone who's wondering about sales figures, I just saw a couple things:

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/941/941189p1.html

quote:

Since its release, Fallout 3 has received widespread critical praise from several publications on top of fantastic sales. Bethesda announced in early November that the game had already shipped 4.7 million units since its October debut.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2010/11/8/fallout-new-vegas-rakes-24300-million-at-launch2c-2450m2b-online.aspx

quote:

The launch results of Fallout: New Vegas are in, and they're quite impressive. Bethesda Softworks, a ZeniMax Media company shipped five million units for the launch. The game was available for Microsoft Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and the PC platform through Microsoft's Games for Windows program. Furthermore, the game was available through digital distribution services such as Steam and Games for Windows: Live, with Steam presumeably carrying the bulk of digital sales.

So yeah, New Vegas did good :)

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

BigRoman posted:

If anyone has finished the Lonesome Road I have a question:

How do you get the lonesome road perk? Do you have to leave ED-E in the repair/stasis chamber? Or can you get it by having him disarm the nukes?

You have to leave him.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

boneration posted:

I am on Normal I think, and I got as far as the first nuke in the Courier's Mile. Then irradiated assholes killed the poo poo out of me. Can't get my rad res about 52% for some reason in there, everywhere else it's at 85% from suit and perks and Rad-X, so I don't last long sneaking either. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Try dropping everything, EVERYTHING, from as far as possible with the Anti-Materiel Rifle. Beyond that, bring loads of radaway, there'll be places you'll need Radaway up just to break even, in addition to any other rad resist you can muster. Good luck!

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Xguard86 posted:

I lucked out in ME and was super satisfied with my Commander. Looks like a space badass without looking cartoonishly pretty or overly cavemanish.

To the point: I got New Vegas for 10 bucks off amazon and I've skimmed the thread for general info on useless/must have stuff. I intentionally tried not to read too much because its more fun for me to just play, rather than plan everything out and know every plot point. Two questions:

1st: Is Hardcore annoying with needing water and what not, or does it add a fun challenge? I played fallout 3 and it got a little too easy after a while, so I wouldn't mind a little more tension. I really don't have time to play through games 2x, so I'd like to take the best option for my run.

2nd: Is there any DLC that I should get before I start that will integrate really well, or is it all kind of optional side stuff I can buy?

Hardcore mode can be annoying but heal-over-time stimpaks make it all worthwhile.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money
The biggest problem I have with melee weapons is they're really awkward in third person. It's pretty hard to hit guys because of where the camera is.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

ravenkult posted:

So I have this problem where everything is retardedly difficult to kill and I have to shoot it like 10 times in the head.

Whyyyyyyyyyyy

Either quit usin' a scrub gun for idiots, or turn down the difficulty :smug:

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Jerusalem posted:

Silly question, but in Old World Blues at the start, the Think Tank tells me I have to hurry because there isn't much time. While I've been looking around Big MT, they've spoken up a couple of times to remind me to get a move on. I assume this is for atmosphere purposes only and that there is NOT an invisible timer on getting an optimal result, right?

Edit: Spoiler tagged just in case.

They're full of poo poo. What they really mean is there isn't much time before they get super impatient and crabby and they'll have to float around in their little hover-jars full of impotent frustration at the lobotomite's insistence on searching every drat nook and cranny.

There's no timer is what I'm getting at

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

brozozo posted:

Why do you think this would make me sad? Why?

Rope Kid's referring to the cape from AC2 that makes everybody hate you. Not actually putting a cape on the armor.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Astfgl posted:

I had kind of hoped that Caesar would be a Lady-of-Pain-type figure, where you can see her from afar and learn about her, but if you meet her in person and open your mouth you are utterly hosed. As it stands, it's very satisfying to be able to march through the Fort, gunning down everything in your path, but also a little unrealistic. There are what, two distinct areas prior to Caesar's tent? Unless you are literally stealth-killing everything, it's a little improbable that this super-important, powerful figure wouldn't just walk away to cut his losses, rather than sitting in his tent waiting for you to put a bullet between his eyes. Plus, it diminishes the mystique of Caesar when you can just waltz through his camp and take him out.

The fight in the camp itself can be fairly tough, though. It's close range with like, six or eight guys, and they've all got ballistic fists. If you let them all close in they can tear you apart fairly fast.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

SpaceMost posted:

Even then, their philosophy doesn't really mesh with the Roman theme. At least in popular conception of it. Their whole, "Survival of the fittest; rape, pillage, enslave" schtick is better suited to the Khans.

http://www.roman-empire.net/army/tactics.html posted:

On a wider front, the Romans used tactics of denying their opponents the means of sustained warfare. For this they employed the tactic of vastatio. It was in effect the systematic revaging of an enemy's territory. Crops were destroyed or carried off for Roman use, animals were taken away or simply slaughtered, people were massacred or enslaved.
The enemy's lands were decimated, denying his army any form of support. Sometiems these tactics were also used to conduct punitive raids on barbarian tribes which had performed raids across the border.
The reasons for these tactics were simple. In the case of punitive raids they spread terror among the neighbouring tribes and acted as a deterrent to them. In the case of all-out war or the quashing rebels in occupied territories these harsh tactics denied any enemy force the support they needed to sustain a lengthy struggle.

:colbert:

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

CommanderCoffee posted:

I think the biggest problem is that all you see are military and raid camps.

Think about the NCR. You got multiple Ranger Stations, two functional military bases (McCarran and Golf), a relief camp at Bitter Springs, a road checkpoint, sharecropper farms, and a few military-controlled tactical points (I'm looking at you, Boulder City and Hoover Dam). I didn't mention the smaller-scale stuff, such as the 188 road stop (It's allied to them), the Grub and Gulp (The folks there say they get their water with NCR approval), and Sloan.

Now, think about the Legion. You got the main military command outpost, the Legate's camp, a raid camp near Novac, a cross-river camp at Cottonwood, and Nelson (until/unless you help NCR overrun it). Overall, you just see the military efforts of the Legion. You never really saw any Legion-allied cities, meaning of course they look obviously completely evil.

Also, there's only one Legion merchant, so that's a pain in the rear end. Especially considering that fucker at Hoover Dam has thousands of bullets at a time.

What Caesar doesn't realise is that Vulpes would make a much better heir than Lanius. Lanius is a berserking rhoided up rear end in a top hat with a really big sword, Vulpes is a sly and scheming motherfucker. Silly Caesar.

edit: oh man, Vulpes Inculta translates to Desert Fox. Rope Kid was that an intentional Rommel reference? :allears:

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hungry? Thirsty? Horny? :q:

You know, drat, I am horny. I'd better go see the whores at this Wrangler place.

I... alright, there's this guy. He's fairly slick but still... not what I was thinking of. Well, who's this over here, I- Oh my GOD. Your FACE. Your SKIN. Jesus! I don't want ANY of that action!

C'mon, this place doesn't have ONE good whore? What... what's that? A protectron... ?

Room for two, James.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Bash Ironfist posted:

The Atomic Wrangler's got you covered!

So I have HH, OWB, and LR. I played through HH and disliked it. If I disliked that, would I like DM? I get some money at the beginning of next month, and I'm trying to choose what to buy with my fun budget. Is DM a must-have dlc?

If you like difficult DLCs where you're stripped of weapons and armor and faced up against tough enemies and traps out the rear end, you'll like DM. It rewards slow and cautious gameplay and run-and-gunning will mostly get you killed.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So I'm just about to do Lonesome on an different character, but a quick question (gonna spoil this just in case, but really it's nothing too major):

did anyone figure how exactly the DLC says what side you are fighting for? Right before I went in Arcade seemed to think I was fighting for NCR, which is weird because I'm doing Independent, planted the Override Chip and all I have to do is tell Yes Man the word Go and it's Hoover Dam time. For reference, I'm Idolized by the Strip, a Good Natured Rascal to the NCR and a Merciful Thug to the Legion. I did get far enough in the NCR quest line to get an alliance between them and the BoS though.

If you're on PC and Ulysses thinks you're with the wrong faction, you can always use the console to make your rep with NCR, Legion and Strip neutral. That'll give you the Independent dialogue, and you can fix it right back up afterwards.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

LLCoolJD posted:

Lily is probably a bit to disturbing to be part of my company. Maybe I'll go with Boone instead. Do companion weapons deteriorate over time, or can I just give him the Gobi Campaign sniper rifle and forget about him?

As long as you keep feeding him ammo he should be fine. Companion weapons never deteriorate. There's a fairly small chance he'll get the gun shot out of his hands, though, so be careful.

edit:

LLCoolJD posted:

I'll add another question... if I want a human companion to wield the unique Super Sledge I found, who would be best?

Cass, actually. She's got melee weapons as a tag skill so she should be fairly lethal with it. Also so does Boone. So basically either of them but not Veronica. She's unarmed and energy weapons only.

Dush fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 11, 2011

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

rope kid posted:

I think I've posted this before, but if you'd like to see a film that was a big inspiration for Honest Hearts, check out The Mission (though obviously there are a lot of practical differences).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvWaD-NErlY

p.s. it is very sad

Oh so that's why you put that on A Light Shining. Tricky bastard.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Mordaedil posted:

It'd be interesting if the next villain was utterly sympathetic and had everyone's best interest in mind, but you are opposed to each other on the mere basis that he needs you dead. Maybe because of who you are or what you have, represents a threat to his well-being or many other people's well-being and the quickest way to solve the situation is a bullet to the head, so the quest becomes trying to prove to him that there's a better way and a way to fix the problem without outright killing you.

Something most people do not believe exists at all. Heck, maybe the next villain could be the Brotherhood of Steel, wouldn't that be a twist. And your allies the remnants of whatever is left of the Enclave.

Maybe if the Enclave remnants were using ~advanced technology~ to help people in the wastes. BoS would be all up in that poo poo tryna shut it down. It'd be pretty cool.

What Beth could've done in FO3 was have the big bad guys be a contingent of western BoS who've come to take the DC chapter to task for basically going totally off-mission. They'd still outmatch the DC BoS the same way the Enclave did, except they'd actually be interesting, rather than pointlessly evil and totally rehashed.

Oh well.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Police Automaton posted:

Perfectly true. The whole writing thing is still a pretty slippery slope which can make this experience really awesome or suck incredibly. I was really suprised how NV captured the atmosphere of the first two games, something I frankly thought was impossible nowadays. Sad fact is that Bethesda can't write it's way out of a wet paper bag. I admit I know literally nothing about the elder scrolls universe on account that I never cared much for it, but when I hear about Skyrim and there being nords and dragons I ask myself "can you get any more generic?" and I guess the answer is, not really. Doubt they learn from their mistakes because commercially, their mistakes are successes and why care when you still make money?

Beth on the whole can't write for poo poo (there were a couple gems in Oblivion but mostly it was trash) but I still admire the wisdom/balls they had in hiring Obsidian to make a game with their engine using what's now their IP. It was a really awesome move.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Yodzilla posted:

I just wanted to say that I loving love Billy Knight's jokes.

Billy Knight is awesome. The jokes are really well delivered. Give that VA ten dollars.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money
Yeah, check it out: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Y-17_trauma_override_harness

quote:

With no defined home base and no ability to detect the death of the users, the suits acted as mobile coffins: soldiers and researchers trapped inside had no ability to shut them down and were forced to suffer a slow, agonizing death.

Pretty creepy. Big MT... !!!!

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Hank Morgan posted:

The guy that sends a loving nuclear detonator in the post to a town built on top of hundreds of un-launched nukes is the guy I really want to track across the wasteland for a climatic showdown.

I think Ulysses said it was a total accident and nobody knew what it was or what it'd do.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I know, but Bethesda doesn't do prequels. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they went with a second apocalypse idea.

I think Avellone's said before that he'd like to re-nuke America. Get Fallout back to its roots or something. Who knows, Beth's got the reins now.

edit:

GoldenNugget posted:

That's weird since I did beat it (I'm wearing joshua graham's armor) but the ammo did not appear at the gun runners and every other vendor. I'd spend 1000 caps to fill up on just that ammo. Oh well...

You might need to give the vendors time to refresh their inventories?

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money
Bear in mind Light Touch is weird and adds a flat 5% crit chance to whatever you're using. It isn't affected by weapon crit multipliers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Von_Doom posted:

So after my computer dying ages ago and being forced to console only new vegas for a bit I can say that now I return to PC gaming. I have but a few questions.

Why does this AK look so beautiful? Which mods did you combine for this? The AK mods I have seen don't look nearly so lovely.

Also if anyone wants to recommend a mod that adds shalwar kameez, keffiyeh, ushanka and some russian style military garb I would name my first child after you. I just finished some Call of Pripyat and yet another Metro 2033 run and my poor bastard going to find himself in the Fallout universe.

Here you go man: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39441