Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Knuc If U Buck posted:

There's a difference between role playing within a game and posting little monkey cheese stories about the characters lives. I guess I just don't "get" the humour.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

They're really awful and embarrassing. No offence to the folks who came up with fleshed out lives for the pretend people.

Stop having fun, you guys. Guys, stop having fun. No seriously guys. I mean it. Stop having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Courier's Stash DLC has certainly helped me spruce up my new self-imposed (in morals, anyway) character, aptly named C. Jacobs (the C stands for Courier, naturally). I mean just look at that codpiece.

He is just rocking that codpiece.

Obligatory cheesy backstory to come later.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 28, 2011

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God drat it, I've just encountered the most ridiculous drat bug. It happened in the NCRCF specifically: I opened a cell door, but it swung toward me instead of outward, so I hit E to close it again and instead hit a couch. My character froze in place for five seconds, likely while doing the "sitting down" animation that I couldn't see because the door moved me away from the couch, and now he freezes every five steps. Restarting, saving, and loading have not fixed this. What the gently caress why did this even happen this is so stupid.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And now some slice-of-life Adventures of Courier Jacobs (tm), brought to you by, er, CJacobs (full size images below miniature sized images). Still decked out in my Courier's Stash swag, of course. Can't get rid of that sweet Weathered Pistol. :allears:

Pictured: Courier Jacobs immediately before carnage ensues.

Pictured: Courier Jacobs shits all over the Powder Gangers by killing the gently caress out of them.

Pictured: Really loving shiny wheat and impossible dog shadows.

Pictured: Yet another drat watermelon smuggler :argh:

Pictured: Courier Jacobs pre-witty one liner and consequent murder of the entirety of NCRCF in response to jab at glasses.

"They're prescription, bitch."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Starhawk64 posted:

There's bear traps all over the place so you'll either need the Light Step Perk or a gently caress-ton of Doctor Bags, or just be really careful where you step.

Or a repair skill worth its salt?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I still enjoy how Yes Man shows his displeasure in you betraying him for another faction by pointing out just how great you are for wanting to help others. What a great guy he is. :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mercury Crusader posted:

The King and his entire gang existing in the far-off alternate America post-apocalyptic future is just further proof in the theory of Elvislution.

Though they remember not his name, his legacy they will carry for years to come. Godspeed you black-haired emperors. :patriot:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yodzilla posted:

That's what I'm saying. The weapons were fun as gently caress and come on, the Fallout story is already completely out there and dumb as hell but that's why I like it. The fact that aliens exist doesn't really take anything away from the world and fits in well with the goofy old sci-fi feel that a lot of the games have.

Or you can take it the way I interpreted it: You passed out because the spaceship crash site was just too much for you to handle, and all the poo poo that happens in Zeta was actually a really long-winded dream/hallucination. Keeping the stuff you get during the DLC is just the +1 IMG (imagination) perk you get from the dream when it's over!

Somewhere deep down I wish that was the actual canon explanation for Zeta. :unsmith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

eating only apples posted:

Same with Dave if you rig the election. Except he goes and plonks himself down right in the middle of Old Olney. :v:

The New Republic Of Dave (read: junky alleyway in the middle of Deathclaw nest) is so sad and depressing and hilarious because it's just Dave throwing himself a pity party in an alleyway. I had to put him down after his first warning for me to leave. :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sam. posted:

no strings attached

Technically without the platinum chip he can do nothing with said robot army except make them lull about, activating them for personal military use is part of what the chip does. And also the whole bunker is irradiated and contains live fire turrets!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sam. posted:

The Courier was going to go into the bunker, kill the turrets and stuff, and use the Chip anyway.

Oh, you meant in the actual timeline the game takes place in. I thought you meant the years and years he's just been raising an army over top of the bunker and never really bothered to go see what was down there. Sorry.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One of the reasons I think Yes Man is the best "essential" character in the endgame is because he isn't essential. At any point before you upload him to House's computer and use the chip after removing him from power, if you feel like taking out any anger, just kill the gently caress out of Yes Man! Then, leave the area, change to a different endgame quest in the quest log, change back to Wild Card, and boom, he's alive again! He doesn't even react to your violence if you've got Very Good karma! Nice for stress relief. :allears:

(spoilers just in case there's someone out there that doesn't like having one of the many possible end paths spoiled for them in this years-old game)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jerusalem posted:

Haha I love that one of the Legion thought this was going to be so easy that he stopped to have a Nuka-Cola, then :aaa:

It's always time for a Nuka Break (tm)!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Y'know, I'm still a little confused by Doc Mitchell's thought process in the beginning of the game.

"Here, was all you had on you when you came in... Oh also I grew up in a Vault but I'm not there anymore so instead of keeping this for medical use here take this Pip-Boy."

I always thank him regardless, but it's weird that he just up and decides to give you his Pip-Boy.

Maybe the thing is bugged and he's listening to your every move through Johnny Guitar's Jingle-Jangling Big Iron. :tinfoil:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Boogle posted:

If you talk to him later about his history he tells you about how Mr. House kicked everyone out of Vault 21 so he could salvage their technology. All that vault stuff he hands to you reminds him of his dead wife.

Oh, well that makes significantly more sense. Thanks. :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Syrant posted:

:stare: Maybe Ulysses told him to give it to you.

I like to think that, from what he implies in Lonesome Road depending on your current quest path, Ulysses is behind pretty much everything lovely that happens to you over the course of NV until you finally confront him.

Shot in the head? Ulysses was gonna be the original Courier Six.

NCRCF attacking Goodsprings? Ulysses told their leader to colonize.

Primm being overrun by bandits? Ulysses invited them in.

Giant ants invading an underpass? Ulysses accidentally dropped the eggs and left them there during his many travels.

Nipton burned and scarred by Legion troops? Ulysses whispered sweet nothings in Vulpes' ear and inspired the attack in the first place.

Oh, and that Deathclaw that just came out of nowhere and murdered you without you even noticing before it was too late? Ulysses pointed it in your direction.

Dude's just waiting in the bushes right outside your FOV, waiting to make you as miserable as possible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So when VATS fucks up and freezes me in the middle of fighting off Cazadors was that Ulysses screwing with my Pip-Boy?

You got it, his remote access controls at the peak of the Lonesome Road trail did the whole thing just to spite you. Don't believe the OWB bots, cazadores were ACTUALLY Ulysses' idea in the first place. He just hacked them to make them THINK it was their creation.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just ran down the I-15 slaughtering Deathclaws straight out of Goodsprings thanks to the Courier's Stash pack. gently caress you Chomps Lewis, I'll fight my way to Vegas like a real man. :c00lbert:

AlmightyBob posted:

I just had sex with Doctor Dala... I think?

Boooooop boop boop boop.

Boop.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
OWB is pretty much New Vegas' "NOT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY UNLESS YOU'RE A DOPE" DLC for the game. I loved it because it was just so wacky and out of place compared to the rest of the game, because the isolation of Big Mt. meant that none of the seriousness of the rest of the Wasteland could ever touch it!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kharmakazy posted:

He's better. Plus with LR installed hes a workbench, a reloading bench, and he will loving repair your weapon once a day.

He'll repair it every few minutes if you do what I do and find a bed, sleep for 24 hours, repair a weapon, repeat until major guns are in basically perfect condition. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

YOURFRIEND posted:

You are a loving MONSTER

Alas, poor Fantastic. He had the whole NCR suckling his teats, and it felt sooooo gooood~ :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of having nobody to sell things to, that's always a problem for me. I always end up not being able to find someone with enough caps to take all the poo poo I want to sell. I don't want to buy anything from them to even it out because I'm trying to OFFLOAD weight, and then I just end up carrying it around wishing I could drop it at my Novac hotel or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Regardless of orientation or playthough I always kill the poo poo out of Vulpes when he contacts you in disguise on the Strip. Nobody cares if you do it as long as you don't hit anyone else and he was an rear end in a top hat anyway. And also his outfit is pretty swanky.

I'll take this Mark of Caesar and shove it right back up your rear end you jerk. <:mad:>

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Father Wendigo posted:

I would have killed to have his VA voice a companion

Play Left 4 Dead. Boxcars always sounded like Louis to me (he's not) so if you play as anyone but Louis he'll be your less angry companion!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game really throws in your face that "hey player Legion are the bad guys have you heard about that enough yet hey look they killed a whole town of people they're the bad guys okay yeah listen to this guy who is a member of NCR who tells you about caesar's legion and how they are totally the bad guys"

Apologies for such extreme emphasis, but the game really loves to try to railroad you into siding with NCR the first time through. It's only after you head to their encampment and talk to Caesar that you learn of their side of the whole war, and that he's really only a bad guy by the way he does things; if you listen to him, he wants what's best for him AND his followers, just like the rest of the game's factions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kharmakazy posted:

LoL. they railroaded you with that whole holocaust thing into not liking Hitler. once you sat down and heard his economic policies it was a whole different war!

Thanks for that, Godwin, but my point is that the game tries to get you to go one way in a game that is supposed to be about going any way you please, just like it does with everything giving good karma and hardly anything giving bad karma. But hey good job reading my post and making an appropriate and well thought-out response that relates a free-roam FPSRPG about the post-nuclear world to the Holocaust, that must have taken some effort! :tipshat:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 31, 2011

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My other point is that this is one of the reasons I love Fallout in general: People play based on themselves even if they don't realize it. It may sound like some 11th grade psychology poo poo, but it's like a real life situation: Some people will inherently side with Legion, some will side with NCR, and the majority will just say "no gods no masters" and take over Vegas for themselves. Gimmick runs aside, anyone who has learned anything about either faction (read: read some articles on the fallout wiki) will form their own opinion on who to side with, and siding with the other faction will become the subject of their "do this just to try it" run.

But if you go independent, you don't have to worry about either but are still forced into the same basic boss fight and ending, which brings me back to my first point: The game intentionally railroads you into not liking the Legion regardless of whether you like them or not. You could be Vulpes' best buddy and the game would still allow you to regain your karma as easy as killing a few Feral Ghouls. When siding with Legion, there is nothing you cannot recover from short of killing the head general of the NCR himself. Some may say that's because they really are the bad faction of death and destruction, but I take it as the game trying to make you play the hero and not the villain. To each his own, I suppose, which is what Fallout is all about!

Kharmakazy posted:

Your argument is that boo hoo they told me the bad guys were bad guys now I know they are bad guys even though their leader is not as evil as his soldiers. They tilted my sandbox.

wait, you think we are arguing about something?

not everyone is looking to fight against everyone else in every post y'know

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kharmakazy posted:

Sorry, my bad I thought you had a point, you were just sobbing into your mousepad.

You're a quick one, I'll give you that. Play however you want to play, who am I to stop you? Once again (since you ignored it and went straight for the jugular), Fallout is about believing whatever you want to believe, you aren't confined to what the game tells you to do. Even though the game tries really hard to get you to be the "good guy", you can still be the archetypal blood offering brute if you so please! You can do whatever you want. That is the point. That is what my first post on the matter was about.

EDIT: Also, I don't use a mouse pad! That's what the little bumpers on the bottom of the mouse are for! Plus, it gives me lots of precision for whatever I choose to set my X/Y sensitivity to.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 31, 2011

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Whoops, I didn't mean to inspire yet another "Caesar is a knowledgeable person because X" or "Caesar is a terrible leader because Y" discussion. This series of posts about how much I love Fallout did not turn out how I wanted them to at all!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kharmakazy posted:

I misread your initial post. Sorry about that.

It's fine. To be honest, this kind of discussion is interesting to me because I get to see how other people play the game, not just myself! It's an admirable pursuit, thread equality, but it is unfortunately not without consequence (see: insulting each others' parents and threatening to spill cheesy poof dust on each others' keyboards).

Me, I almost always go independent. Why just take down one faction when I can drive away all of them in one long con? :buddy:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Having a single voiced protagonist would severely limit the possibilities for your immersion as well as the game itself. The fact that you choose every dialogue option IS your character talking, when you click an option, that's what you say. Even if you don't get a voice actor telling you that you said it, you personally picked what to say in X given situation, so really a voice actor isn't necessary because you voice acted it in your head when you were thinking about what to say anyway. :\

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Doug Lombardi posted:

I still can't get over how weird it is that you don't actually enter New Vegas near the Fabulous Las Vegas sign.

I still can't get over the fact that New Vegas seems to be a seriously nerfed version of real life Vegas. It just feels... Lackluster. :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Coughing Hobo posted:

The gun Benny has is the 9mm unique, Maria.

Good thing you aren't any taller or that joke would have bumped you right on the noggin!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Strudel Man posted:

The joke doesn't work. You can't substitute ALSID there.

Taking a closer look at it, you're right, but technically he could kill Benny and take Maria, kill the weapon taking guy with it, take the stuff out of the chest and get ALSID back, THEN massacre everyone in the fort with it(which is the correct course of action).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jerusalem posted:

You just take Boone with you, problem solved. :clint:

I will never get tired of "Thumbs down, you son of a bitch. :smug:"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ribbo posted:

I will just leave this here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc9dQVOmkUM

Boone, why have you betrayed me like this? :negative:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love the fact that if you're a girl character, you can convince Benny to give up the chip, sleep with him, talk to Yes Man ONCE on the way out, and complete his original con without him even being a part of it as long as you don't go back. Not only does he not get his comeuppance for shooting you in the face, he gets laid AND gets his plan fulfilled. At least, I think that's how I remember it going.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

eating only apples posted:

I miss your LP :saddowns: Any luck on unfucking your saves?

I gave up and just started over. Once I get the whole thing recorded, then I'll start doing commentary on it. As of now there are five half-hour episodes up on YouTube under Unlisted waiting for me and some other brave soul to do commentary on. The LP isn't coming back until I have enough worth posting and have literally no chance of any backlog, I want to do this thing right this time!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Trustworthy posted:

Hey a few pages ago you guys were chatting about which NPC you always murder. How is it possible for nobody to mention Antony, the most ridiculously voiced chucklefuck this side of the Mississippi?

Exhibit A (at 09:30)

"I'M ANTONY, Legion tryharrrrrd~. Cower as I retuuuuuurn to the hououruruors of... Puberty. :shepface:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I always end up having a run through where I make sure to sneak-murder absolutely everyone who has the same voice as "Default male NPC". You know, the one that drones on and on and has like a hundred characters that do nothing that he voices himself. Not just the ones that talk about nuclear winters either. I swear by the time I was done half the NPCs in the entire game were dead because of that one guy and his annoying mediocre voice acting.

And Fantastic. Now God's sucking his teats, and it feels so good~