Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

MonkeyFit posted:

That psych check OWB at the auto-doc, does it let you reallocate skill points or just special?

Uh. I think the psyche check only lets you change your traits, not your special stats or your skill points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Probably don't want to keep Cass on an NCR playthrough, as her quests conflict with a pro-NCR one if you give her to the Van Graffs, they betray the Legion and start supplying weapons to the NCR.

Actually, you get an even better NCR ending if you do Cass' quest peacefully, and never clear out the Van Graffs after completing the quest: the NCR uses the information you get from the Van Graffs and the Crimson Caravan Company to blackmail them both. Then they use them to strengthen their position in the Mojave and pass trade laws to restrict them from doing anything. And, if you steal the Gun Runner's design stuff for the Crimson Caravan, the Gun Runners wipe out the Van Graffs and CC once NCR's done with them.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 27, 2011

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Cicadalek posted:

They had artillery in vault 34? I wonder where they kept it 'cos that poo poo is Massive

No. Well, maybe. The Boomers wheeled in the artillery pieces from some other military base they looted. You can ask the kid in the "museum" about it.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Chronojam posted:

Boomer's loot is from Area 51 and Area 2 I believe. The biggest of the guns were straight military hardware from a depot(s), not things they had in the vault underground. Same for their flight sim gear.

No, the flight sim pods were already at Nellis. The museum kid mentions that they thought the pods were fancy chairs and slept in them until they discovered what they really were. And I'm sure at least some of the heavy ordinance (probably not the missile launchers) came from the Vault, I mean hell, the mural explicitly shows them roasting "raiders" with Flamers before they found Nellis.

quote:

more fascist military flavor

We really did need a little more Enclave in this game.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 11, 2012

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

OldMemes posted:

Fallout 3 kinda ruined them as villians. And Arcade's quest works perfectly as far as the Enclave storyline goes.

I agree on the villains thing. I just want to see more of them as "allies". Like the BoS but even bigger assholes.

quote:

Are there any companions in Old World Blues?

Nope. In one of the labs you can make a cyberdog who'll follow you around, but only inside said lab and they aren't an "actual" companion.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

EDIT:
^^^Haha. Sorry if I seemed a bit pushy, guy. I did the Boomers' questline again just the other day, so it was all still really fresh in my mind.

Merry Magpie posted:

Do they explicitly state that they "dragged" the artillery back to Nellis?

Uhhhh. Yeah they state exactly that. Hell, with high enough speech your character can even comment that it's a "testament to the Boomers' resolve as a people" or something.

rotinaj posted:

Edit2: FFffffffuck, how do I find these proximity mines in X-13?

You know, even with all the times I've played through OWB and done that quest, I still have no loving clue where half of those beeping bastards are. Your best bet is to defuse as few of them as possible (mostly the ones in the office with the goal terminal) and slip past the rest.

Edit 2: I think there's another one in the break room or the room with the huge hole in the wall that opens up to the bathroom and it's like right on the central table. Make sure to get that one because that area makes a good "safe spot". Then there's one in the bathroom in a corner, and the office one is also hiding in a corner so look out for those.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 12, 2012

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Just finished OWB for probably the fifth time tonight, and I've got to say the voice acting and writing amazes me every time. What totally caught me off guard, is that I'd somehow completely forgotten about Borous' side-quest and how :smith: the end of it is. It actually made me feel pity for that reprehensible brain-in-a-globe.

For the couple minutes it lasts before he pushes the memories back into the recursion loop. gently caress you Borous.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 17, 2012

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

That DICK! posted:

What would you guys say is better than Four Eyes?

Skilled. Skilled is, without a doubt, the best trait in the game. The experience penalty isn't really a downside, especially compared to the other traits and 65 free skill points is nothing to sneeze at. It also combines great with Good Natured. Then, in OWBs, you can dumb Skilled for another trait like Hoarder and keep the skill points.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Saint Sputnik posted:

e: /\/\/\ I only ever use Skilled and Loophole anymore.

I don't think I've used Loophole. Or done a drugged-up run of the game in general. Now I know what I'm doing next runthrough, I guess.

quote:

I couldn't get them to back the NCR, was I missing something or they just won't do it?

I think you have to be Idolized with both factions and have completed all of Julie Farkas' quests, including the "dropping off chems" thing. I haven't done it since it was patched though, so I could be completely wrong.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

To continue traitchat, it really sucks that Jinxed isn't in this game, and that One in a Million wasn't salvaged from Van Buren. Could you imagine the two of them together?

I miss critical failures.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Teen Hero Greg posted:

What was One in a Million supposed to do?

Whenever you got a critical (hit or failure), it would run a second check to see if it still happened, and if so it would bump up the severity on the critical chart. Sounds like fun times!

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

divx posted:

Were the Dean Domino posters in NV there before DM or were they added with the DLC?

They were always there, along with graffiti referencing the Sierra Madre and "Courier Six". That's one of the cooler things about New Vegas, there was a lot of foreshadowing for the DLC in the base game. Not to mention that the DLC ties in with the themes of the game and seems like an organic expansion rather then being, I dunno, Mothership Zeta.

Also gently caress Daniel, he's a self-absorbed rear end in a top hat who cares more about his failure to preserve the Sorrows' "innocence" then their lives. Joshua's endings are the only good endings in HH. gently caress the White Legs, save Zion at any cost. :black101:

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 10, 2013

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

OldMemes posted:

Isn't it better for the Sorrows to suffer a loss, rather than lose their "honest hearts"?

How is attacking the White Legs camp not self-defense? The White Legs are besieging the Sorrows, camped just inside their territory, waiting with the stated intent to wipe out the Sorrows and salt the earth. Defending your home is the very definition of self-defense. The Sorrows at Three Marys aren't the entire tribe, they're the warriors and soldiers of the tribe. The Sorrows and Dead Horses aren't wiping the White Legs out, they're destroying their army. The epilogue even states that the 88s are the ones who chase down Salt-Upon-Wounds and destroy the White Legs.

Even if you disagree, at some point another tribe or nation is going to push them into the same position. Do they run away, again? What happens when other tribes hear the news and decide the Sorrows are easy pickings? Do they keep running away rather then fighting? What happens to their culture after the second time? The third? How long can they keep running before someone wipes them out? Is the utter destruction of the Sorrows any better, morally, then fighting against a tribe that's going to be wiped out by Caesar no matter what?

Fighting against the White Legs is no more "repeating the creation of the Legion" then the foundation of NCR or an independent New Vegas were. A charismatic stranger and a morally ambiguous dude played roles in the foundation of both, if you remember. The NCR certainly didn't turn into the horrible hell-army that the Legion is, and I doubt a free New Vegas would either.

On the point of Joshua's redemption, no showing mercy to a defeated foe is not "destroying" said redemption. When you pass that speech check to make Josh stand down, he gives up being the Malpais Legate, a merciless killer and instead becomes Joshua, war chief of the Dead Horses. Running away from his past isn't redeeming himself, it's denying the evils he committed. Standing up, fighting against the White Legs and refusing to act as the Malpais Legate would have redeems him.

And, my issue with Daniel isn't that he's "idealistic", it's that he's self-obsessed. When you take Joshua's side Daniel is never concerned about the Sorrows themselves, he's upset over his failure to convert the Sorrows to Mormonism, over his failure to protect their "innocence" which, yes, is still a vague and nebulous ideal that Daniel paints them with. Waking Cloud states, straight up, that she is ready and prepared to fight against the White Legs. The opinions of the Sorrows never come into it, just how Daniel feels the Sorrows should behave.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 11, 2013

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

I haven't seen/heard anything is there another Fallout in the works? and is all of Obsidian working on the South Park game or do they have some other project I haven't heard of?

They're working on Stick of Truth and their own Kickstarted game Project Eternity.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I wonder what factions we're going to see in Fallout 4. Maybe the Legion and NCR will get some mentions, or even House.
BoS is almost a guarantee.

Since Fallout 4 is definitely going to be developed by Bethesda, I hope they don't reference or use anything from New Vegas and stick to their east-coast crap. If people thought that Caesar's Legion were mustache-twirling bad-dudes before, imagine what they'd be after Bethsoft's stellar writers got their hands on them.

But I think the prevailing theory is that Fallout 4 is going to take place in Boston, with the "extended Blade Runner reference" Institute involved in the plot. I almost guarantee that's we'd see the Capital Wasteland BoS if that's the case.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Dash Magnum posted:

Again, it's just really jarring to go from New Vegas where the stakes and goals are all fairly straight forward and well laid out, to Fallout 3 where I feel like I'm either over-thinking everything or just straight-up missing information.

The whole "super-mutants are orks" thing is one of the things that irritated me the most about FO3, along with such gems as "these vaults do not make any goddamn sense in terms of the vault experiment, which Bethesda insists is still canon and something they're adhering to" and "here are all these cool historical American buildings, monuments and locales that we do goddamn nothing with, have fun".

And try not to overthink anything in FO3. It's so poorly written that two seconds of thought about anything in the game is more then Bethesda put in.

I will forever regret preordering the collectors edition of that loving game.

quote:

Maybe they will get the writing team from NV to offer some plot and flavor counsel?

I doubt it. IIRC FO3 sold a lot better then New Vegas did. They have no reason or motivation to do so when people will just gobble up any crap Bethesda throws out.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

FNV sold better than FO3 if memory serves

Just checked, and I think you're right. It looks like New Vegas shipped 5 million units within a month of its release, and FO3 shipped 4.7 million in three months. So hey, maybe there's hope! (nope.)

Colgate posted:

Fallout 3's a pretty good Bethesda game,

Honestly, I think it's the worst Bethesda game in recent memory. I had a lot more fun playing Oblivion, Morrowind and Skyrim. Skyrim was much worse written than FO3, but it was funner to play. Plus I don't expect good writing from an Elder Scrolls game, but for Fallout it's one of those things that need to be there. On that note, you have to keep in mind that with each game Bethesda's writing gets worse, so some degree of pessimism is reasonable.

quote:

At least I hope they do better with the DLC. I'm not expecting New Vegas-level, considering it had the best DLC I've seen in a game, sans Courier's Stash. I -know- Bethesda can do better with DLC, since they put out some quality stuff with the Morrowind expansions, Shivering Isles (apparently), and I also hear Dawnguard and Dragonborn are pretty decent.

I'm not sure they can do much worse than Mothership Zeta, so hopefully you're right.

quote:

Back to NV talk for a moment, can anyone recommend some harder areas in the base game?

The Deathclaw Promontory.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 12, 2013

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Dash Magnum posted:

To be fair, stimpaks are the only healing item worth a drat, unless you do the quest that lets you use blood packs, or are willing to make a special trip into the sewers to make "wonder molerat meat" every so often.

Purified water is more common than blood packs, heals just as much and is a lot less dumb to drink. Nuka-cola is even more common, even though it doesn't heal as much. :colbert:

But I agree with CJacobs (except on the story thing i mean what the hell man), I don't give a poo poo that there's squirrel stew and iguana bits in this unopened fridge in an untouched house. I care more that none of the vaults in FO3 make sense (except Vault 101).

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Dash Magnum posted:

Good catch, I forgot about purified water. I must be looking in all the wrong places though, because I only have something like 6 bottles of water and about 25 blood packs which heal me for 20 hp each. Granted, drinking blood for hp is super dumb, but I'll take it if the majority of the alternatives give only +6 hp and +2 rads a pop.

Where are the best places to find purified water bottles? I actually thought that was one of the few things the game did right by making clean water scarce. I'm kinda bummed to find out that's not the case and I've just been missing them.

Fridges, medboxes, anywhere really. I mean, I just loaded up FO3 to check and my dude has like 20 bottles of purified water and only nine blood packs on him. I never use either for healing because I have like 200 stimpacks from the Outcasts and I don't think I've ever donated a blood pack. Just keep an eye out for anything that can be opened and open it. And yeah, robobutler has them too.

quote:

I don't think FO3 is a terrible game. It's not as good as NV, no, but it's not the WORST GAME EVER.

I don't think anyone has argued it's the "WORST GAME EVER". It's aggressively mediocre, over-hyped, the worst Bethesda game and I would count it as the second or third worst Fallout game but it's not super terrible. It's just badly written, there's no variety of weapons, it gets super boring due to the lack of content, the DLC is loving terrible, most of the little "vignettes" or whatever someone called them are insipid as gently caress and almost always boil down to "there's skeleton with a gun, possibly smaller skeletons nearby". But it's kinda fun, introduces a few interesting things (the laser rifle, I love that drat thing and the plasma rifle is okay too), the Pitt is cool-looking, some of the building on the mall are really cool, I like the aesthetics of the metro tunnels even if they are annoying to slog through and hell General Constantine is pretty funny.

But for me, the good things are way overshadowed by the bad. Then again, I spent 200 dollars on three different copies of it, so I may just be bitter over that.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 13, 2013

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

I honestly do kinda wish there were some way to finish that quest without as much running around.

There is.

If you don't want to do the latter parts of Still in the Dark, you can side with Hardin and get the Power Armor training perk that way. McNamara makes you do a whole bunch of running around to grab random poo poo, while Hardin makes you do three easy things in Hidden Valley. But if you side with Hardin, you get hosed if you try to make peace with the Brotherhood. That's kind of the point of the whole questline. Doing things the easy way versus doing things the right way.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

Which game is better then? Metacritics scores are 91 for FO3 and 80-something to FO:NW.

The metacritic scores are hosed, New Vegas is a better game by any possible metric. Better writing, the gameplay is funner (ammo types, hardcore and more varied weapons add a lot), the plot isn't a steaming pile, more variety in scenery, etc., etc..

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

His tribe placed meaning and history in they way they wore their hair.
The White Legs just copied his hair without understanding any of the meaning of the traditions of his dead tribe just because they thought he was a cool dude for the giving them free guns.

Mostly that, but he was also grooming them to be "assimilated" into the Legion, just like the Twisted Hairs were. He straight up says that they were like the grinning ghosts of his tribe, so that whole cycle of destruction he was playing into may have spooked him a bit.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 14, 2013

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Byzantine posted:

I thought you didn't get the pardons until you dealt with Benny?

Yeah, every time I've played the game I got the invitation and Caesar's pardon right after I got the Platinum Chip.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Azran posted:

It looks like a truly nightmarish place, but no one else in the game ever mentioned that?

There actually are a few mentions of the Divide in the main game. If you ask that one dude in Primm about Ulysses, he mentions it offhandedly. Cass says a few things about it, and then I think there's a NCR Ranger who mentions it?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

eating only apples posted:

Yeah I know, just the idea of a Dead Money-style scavenger-only run appeals to me for some reason.

I did that as my first playthrough of Lonesome Road and it worked out okay. There's some pretty fantastic armor in the Divide, and you get a set of Combat Armor pretty early on. The weapons are alright, I guess.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

razorrozar posted:

For The Enclave is pretty good.

e: for NV, not 3

I disagree, all the dialogue is really bad and the quests are boring as poo poo.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That puts him at odds with the Kings, as one of their core beliefs, according to The King himself, is that that "every man is a king." The King didn't like tyrants at all or anybody who pushed anybody else around, which put him at odds with House. The King I think even mentioned that he didn't like House all that much. Even so, they mostly flew under the radar because they were a local gang that didn't live in Vegas itself.

You know what, gently caress House and Yes Man. Someone make a mod where you can put the King in charge of New Vegas.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

oh man is it time for the thread to argue about House vs the NC--

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

sure, they commit rape, murder, aggression, and slavery en masse, but as Caesar explains, correctly, doing poo poo like that is what allowed civilization to build itself to the point we're currently at in present day, and there's decent, if horrific, argument that it's necessary in order to build a functional state again that can protect everyone in the future

:yikes:

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Look man, according to that one creepy guy rape camps were totally a vital part of human history! That means Caeser was right or something

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

this whole thing even started with people shrieking about profligates, so it's 100% accurate!!

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

why would you do that

once you're inside any attempt at hurting anyone (without House's express permission, because, again, he's cool with extra-judicially killing pretty much whomever for pretty much whatever) is met with overwhelming force from the robots patrolling the streets. the one and only purpose served by the gate checkpoints is keeping out poor people. weapons, drugs, explosives, literally nothing you have on you matters as long as you have money.

byzantine is a libertarian nutjob. there's literally no point in arguing with him. he's just going to defelct and ignore your actual point.

edit: oh wait youre the unironic legion defender. nevermind, please argue to your heart's content. :D

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 14, 2015

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

loving Daniel

Daniel's ending is awful no matter what you do. He bitches at you even if you rescue everyone. He's a stupid coward bitch and you should always help your bro Graham.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I like all the DLC, really. I just wish that people would appreciate Dead Money more because it's awesome.

I agree with this, but Honest Hearts is the best DLC.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

the idea that anyone thinks any of the fo3 dlcs is good makes me want to tear my hair out. the pitt is the only one that comes close, and that's because the steelyard owns.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I'd rank the Pitt higher despite it being a broken mess, simply because it's one of the only times in Fallout 3 where they managed to have a situation with shades of grey.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Garrand posted:

Now I know what my next character is going to be. I didn't know that was an option (I've only gone through the Pitt once.)

It's a mod :(

Still the best option tho

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

The Pitt's environment design is great, you walk into the blast furnace and it actually feels hot and oppressive. The whole dlc has this good grungy feel that I love. Not a huge fan of the main plot, I think it's even more one-sided than HH but eh.

But my biggest complaint is that I wish it were bigger. More arena fights, more relevant NPCs (the various named raiders own), actual sidequests, more steel ingots. Hell make the whole thing the size of Point Lookout. Let me run around on catwalks and smokestacks for days.

Ah well, I guess they could do a "Return to the Pitt" dlc in fo4.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

The cut down leather armor looks cool as hell, and the unique version you get with ingots is about as good as Combat Armor. Too bad it breaks in a stiff breeze.

Also, I know Ashur keeps saying that the whole slavery thing is temporary, but I don't think the raiders would agree. After all they're living pretty cushy lives thanks to that slave labor, why the hell would they give that up? And at the end of the day, he's just one dude in hosed up power armor vs. a whole bunch of Mad Max extras. And if he armed the slaves to fight the raiders or something, there's a good chance they'd kill him too. I mean, if a guy who enslaved me in a shithole like the Pitt handed me a gun, I know he'd be the first person I'd shoot.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

Are there any really cool energy weapons to pick up in OWB?

Elijah's LAER is one of the best energy weapons in the game. Just make sure you have plenty of repair kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Oh, I guess they turn hostile when you complete Cass' quest the peaceful way, even though that makes no sense at all. Sure, whatever, I guess I'll make do with the weapons I already have.

Were you not paying attention to what happened in that quest? You hosed over the VanGraffs in a huge way and they're violent insane thugs. What did you expect?