Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Been playing a bunch lately. I did one run where I ran straight to OWB at level 1; that was interesting.

Current run is a Live Off The Land run - using melee/explosives, and only using things I find, no buying stuff (though I make an exception for the implants). Caps are a lot less important and the early game gets quite nasty this way, it's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Zeron posted:

When I do survival runs like that I usually make it so that it's perfectly okay to buy things...but selling anything at all is not allowed. It makes doings sidequests and such in the early game more important because taking caps off corpses and getting quest reward caps is pretty much the only way you're ever going to buy anything.
Ooooooh, I like that idea. It preserves the scarcity that Live Off the Land runs lose after the first ten levels or so, doesn't lock you out of cool stuff (cough gun runners cough), and makes Fortune Finder an actually useful perk! I'm gonna give this a shot.

theshim fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 12, 2014

theshim
May 1, 2012

Played another run, this time as a gunslinger only using one-handed guns. Hunting revolvers are still wonderful.

Messing with ideas for another run, but I'd take suggestions. Kinda want to do an explosives/survival run for some reason.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Garrand posted:

I've never tried it, but can you just stealthboy past the guards without getting in trouble with the NCR? I know they shoot you if you get too close to the door, even if you are wearing faction armor IIRC.
That's what I always do, although if faction armor works, I wasted a Stealth Boy :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

So here's a fun thing - I stealthed up to Vegas immediately, grabbed the Q-35 and the YCS-186, and went straight to Lonesome Road.

Marked Men are pretty nasty.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Beat Lonesome Road, finished it at 16. Was fun to do it at such a low level - some fights, especially Deathclaws, I had to be really careful and fast.

Still batting around ideas for another run. I actually did one where I went to OWB at level 1, and that was pretty great as well. It's totally possible to enter the Divide at level 1, but that can get really really tricky (though it's great for twinking a new character - go through the silo, grab a bunch of crazy stuff like nail guns, and leave - you can actually get through the entire silo until opening the doors and the only things to fight are two sentry bots).

theshim
May 1, 2012

double nine posted:

I'm thinking of doing a weird new build, one that uses plasma/energy weapons for short range and sniper rifles/guns for long range. D'you think its viable to spread my points into two combat stats and would it be fun?
You could just use a Gauss rifle at long range :shrug:

theshim
May 1, 2012

The hardest part of a live off the land run...is letting go (of all the stuff I could sell for a bajillion caps)

theshim
May 1, 2012

Frankly, all the best dialogue comes from OWB. :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

the first introduction to the Legion for me was Nipton, where I never even interacted with them directly, other than shooting their dogs when sneaking around the town hall.
I have a terrible habit of always murdering all of them as soon as they start walking away :black101:

theshim
May 1, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

I finally made it to Zion today guys!!! (I would post pics, but don't have the time to)

All I can say is that I'm glad Honest Hearts existed otherwise I would never have the drive to go there. Its really beautiful and the best time to go is mid Nov since you can drive a personal vehicle on the shuttle route and its not 100 degrees.

Also I've learned a cruel lesson that I should have known from the beginning The House Always Wins, drat Wheel of Fortune slot machines in Las Vegas :argh:

Monte Carlo is pretty nice though
I went there some years back on a family trip.

One thing Honest Hearts does not do justice to is that fact that there are so many loving bees aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

theshim
May 1, 2012

That...sounds odd.

Once you get past Nipton, you start running more commonly into Vipers and some Legionaries, but unless you do what I do and kill Vulpes and crew in Nipton and then get attacked by Legionary Assassins (who are loving jacked) you shouldn't be having markedly more issues. Enemies start commonly using 10mm guns instead of 9mm, for example, but the difficulty curve doesn't really spike there anywhere that I can think of.

theshim
May 1, 2012

HATE HALBECH

theshim
May 1, 2012

That really was an amazing trailer, dang :stare:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's awfully kind of Caesar to keep sending me a wagonload of loot on almost daily basis
The Caesar has marked you for a shopping spree, and the Legion obeys. Ready yourself for battle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

aniviron posted:

All of the FNV DLCs use pretty drastically reworked stealth mechanics to the base game. I don't mind how much harder it makes stealthy gameplay (though given how slowly you have to play to stealth properly in the DLCs, it certainly makes guns-blazing look more attractive) but I hate how jarring it feels to go from the absurdly easy stealth of the base game to the DLCs where things will spot you from 50m off while you are crouched.
A moment that always makes me laugh is taking the first step out of the Sink and immediately entering DANGER for the next half hour.