Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

StandardVC10 posted:

There's one other workbench in the Villa, but it's the Villa so the best direction I can give you is "in a closet… kinda to the right… maybe?"

Also, Light Step can be a very handy perk for Dead Money. Not 100% necessary, more for quality of life, but there are seriously a shitload of traps.

I've gone through Dead Money a bunch of times (it's my favorite DLC) and I still get killed by the drat bear traps because I never bother to take Light Step. So drat many of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's only really one section with lots of traps in the actual path you should travel, and you can do it with a companion who gives you the Light Step perk :ssh:

Anymore I use mods that greatly increase weapon damage and armor while also using the Increased Wasteland Spawns mod. In runs where I'm focusing on noncombat stuff I abuse Dog a lot, and I still always clear out pretty much every corner of everywhere I go. My game is pretty much built on straight up masochism, but even my first time through the game I played on Hardest on hardcore without too much trouble. The vanilla game is just too easy.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Outside of one playthrough, I've always killed Domino just because I think he is such a vile character. Also, make sure to play with the blackmail holo fix. Always was confused by "Pretty as a picture."

On the topic of DM characters, I was always a little disappointed that you could gain God's trust by not playing the tape, end the conversation, and then immediately bring out Dog and God just doesn't give a gently caress. Doesn't say a drat thing about it later on.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Mortimer posted:

maybe if you replay it like immediately the next time

I havent gone through OWB since it came out, I'm pumped as heck to get to it

It...definitely requires a good time between playthroughs. Like, the backstory to all of the different labs is cool, but there just isn't that much that actually happens in the place so if you aren't refreshing yourself on the lore then it's a real slog. Also the long rear end conversation that starts the whole thing.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Moryrie posted:

I could use some help. I'm trying to do 'You'll know it when it happens' but Ranger Grant is kinda off by the Enclave bunker, and doesn't show any signs of moving to the dam. If I fast travel to him, he'll end up in Red Rock Canyon, so I'll have to fast travel again. When I catch up to him there, he'll initiate dialogue mention timing ect, then there will be a fadeout, and immediately after that quest failed.

If I try placeatme, he doesn't have anything to say. Waiting around at Hoover Dam does nothing, because he's stuck on his side of the map until I travel over that way.

Help. I've never done this quest before either.

I've never had this problem so I can't say for sure, but usually during this quest Grant is waiting for you inside the lobby of the dam, so maybe try placing him inside there? There's a list of bugs for this quest here, although I'm not sure if I'm finding anything that matches up to your problem

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I've only played LR once (maybe twice?) and all I really remember out of that was thinking Ulysses was kind of a hypocritical rear end in a top hat. I'm curious as to what's being referenced here. I guess slap some spoilers on it for people who care. I honestly don't remember anything in particular about that dlc...maybe I should start a new game.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

I figure this is the place to ask if anyone has the ini edits for Fallout 3 that make it run on multicore machines?

The New Vegas Configator has options to add threading in for certain things as well as the usual bunch of graphical configuration stuff. You'd probably just have to google for manual INI edits though.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Truth be told I always cheat to raise my carry weight even especially when I'm using difficulty mods. I decided that in the end I was going to powergame by fast traveling back to my house a thousand times which sounded like not a lot of fun at all, so I decided gently caress it.

I'm kind of like this. I always found the wasteland a little too empty, so I crank up IWS and need the weight for ammo.

I've really come to like the Games Settings Tuner mod. I don't have much of a desire for most of what PN adds to the game, so the GST allows me to easily modify how a lot of the stats and other things work without either having to do the console or do some amalgam of different mods. I basically toss JSawyer on top for all it's in game changes and then modify the rest to how I feel like it should be.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Frankly posted:

I've never done a Logan's run before, so I usually end up with my vision going blurry/stats dropping a lot from the addiction withdrawals. Which actually suits a run where my main interaction with the world is beating people to death, asking people who they want beaten to death or eating people I've beaten to death :v:

Well I guess my next playthrough gimmick is decided for me, I've never done one where you bee-line from Goodsprings to a unique weapon/stat booster before!

Doing OWB early is a bit tougher, but you can eventually get the X-2 Antenna It's pain frequency doubles the already doubled damage in vats; without any perks it's already doing 260 damage. With all the perks, it's base damage is 90.4 and ends up doing 360 per swing. Also extra damage against power armor and robots. It's slow and uses a lot of AP, but it'll basically one shot most everything in the game.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

lechunnel posted:

I bought New Vegas years ago but never really played it. Returning to it now, and Steam tells me I own the Ultimate version - but there's no DLC in-game, and Steam says I don't own the individual pieces.

Is there some step to enabling the DLC, or is Steam just loving up and I never actually bought the Ultimate version, just the normal one?

When you start NV, in the launcher under Data Files, does it have the DLC listed with checkboxes next to them?

Garrand fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 6, 2014

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Old Boot posted:

Yeah. All other complaints about the game aside, my major complaint about it will always boil down to really stilted dialogue, and a paper-thin story that, at its base, is basically just a cut and paste of Fallout 1 and 2 elements that got smashed together. Some of the sidequests were fun, and I did like the overall story/feel of Point Lookout, as well as the Pitt, but by and large, eesh.

So far as the BoS and the Enclave seeming kind of amorphous, well. To get any sense of context for either of them, you really had to remember the original two games to get any sense of who they were, and even then, in game, they were pretty much someone's fanfic interpretations of both factions. I don't mind the idea of a BoS chapter going rogue, but the whole 'steel be with you' and the addition of a young Maxson speaking in silly parables and metaphors gave me a serious case of second hand embarrassment for the writing team.

When I first played FO3 I was thrown fora loop at the BoS being basically good-guy superhero types or whatever. I wish more had been done with the Outcasts themselves (other than Operation: Anchorage, which sucked.)

I think what probably tints my viewpoint on FO3 the most, though, was Lucy's Blood Ties quest. I remember it being literally the first quest I did in my very first playthrough, and it basically ends with her not giving the slightest care about the fate of her brother or family. Even if you tell her that her parents are dead in the middle of the quest, once you actually complete the mission all she has to say is that she pretty much forgot about the whole thing. And that was a poor omen for the writing for the rest of the game.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Malpais Legate posted:

It would make so much more sense in a lot of areas if it were set in like 2080. What a shame it's set in like, 2280.

2277 :spergin:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Malpais Legate posted:

Oh, so it's literally 200 years after the bombs dropped. I never bothered learning the date in Fallout 3.

Well, it does give you the full date every time you hit the wait button.

Wolfsheim posted:

Bethesda has some kind of rule that every game they make in a series has to move the timeline forward, I have no idea why, though it might make sense to have that rule for something like Elder Scrolls where there's a wall full of history books in every house and they want to avoid contradictions (well, more contradictions).

And since one random throwaway line in the Old World Blues epilogue puts the Fallout timeline at 10,000 AD I'm looking forward to Fallout 4 taking place in 10,002 AD :patriot:

Wait, what line is that?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Malpais Legate posted:

If you complete it to the best possible ending, Blind Diode Jefferson uses all of his sonic upgrades to defend the Big Empty from a sonic attack or something in 2910.

And yeah, it does. I just couldn't be assed to look too hard beyond the hour of the day.

I remember that line but....that's not exactly 10,000 AD. Although it would be funny to see Bethesda try and shoehorn the fallout universe into the year 2915

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Roobanguy posted:

i think the actual gameplay in both fo3 and fonv is bad. i hope the next fallout game has decent shooting mechanics.

I'm kind of curious as to just what they could even do with it.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Man Whore posted:

well they are 200 years old so they probably just fall apart when you read them.

Thats why you have to read them over and over again. You get a few pages / chapter in and it falls apart. Find a new copy and pick up where you left off until that one turns to dust. If you found one in perfect condition you'd get your skill up to 100 in one sitting, but no such luck.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

Doesn't Fallout 3 only have one low-intelligence check, and it being when you're talking to a robot in one of the bombed-out schools?

Wow, I never knew about that. I tried doing a low Int run once but when I figured out it probably wasn't going to give me any funny dialogue options I said screw it, I wanted the skill points.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

AFAIK in NV an item has set repair lists (obviously jury rigging adds more items to that list), so you should always be able to repair the Reinforced leather with a plain leather armor. Your actual repair skill just dictates how much the item gets repaired by (unlike FO3, which had item repair caps based on your skill.) Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Unless you have Project Nevada and are using the Alternate Repair system where, as your repair skill increases, you get wider and wider lists of items you can use to repair things with.

This post has said repair a lot. Repair.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

So someone made a song about the Wazer Wifle from Fallout 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx6UdrZ1nhM

drat this is catchy. And I don't even like this style of music.

Uncensored version on the channel of the actual musician.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idjM3Jrp4Yw

e: To clarify, Thaum's link to one of the collaborators, not like a song thief or anything like that.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

I like to not use VATS or bullet time. I do use AP for sprinting with the sprint key mod, though.

I'm debating making a character that only uses VATS. 100%, no pulling the trigger outside of VATS, just so I can make use of all those VATS and AP perks that I have never taken on any other playthrough.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Byzantine posted:

The NCR forces the Followers out of Vegas, though.

It's hard to discuss endings, as every faction has so many of them. In one ending the NCR forces the followers out, but if you convinced the Followers to aid the NCR they let them stay.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Update on my all VATS run that nobody but me cares about: with cranked agility and jet and rebound, it's really fun running into a group of guys with a combat shotgun loaded with magnum buckshot and blowing off everybody's head in rapid succession. It does get a little frustrating with the many VATS bugs, but I'm enjoying it enough and it's a completely different style of play. It actually requires me to level up my weapon skills to be able to hit anything at a distance. So now I have to actually choose between wanting to be able to hit something from more than point blank range or other skills.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Twobirds posted:

So you use up your AP, then find some cover / dodge around until it's fully or partially recharged, then start over? I never really worried about AP recharge but it seems like it would come up in your case. Is AP cost affecting your weapon choice?

Pretty much. I've become far more reliant on drugs in this playthrough as well, since med-x will help me last long enough to recharge the AP and rebound speeds it up. Also using Steady cranks up your chance to hit to 95% from almost all distances regardless of weapons skill, combined with the Anti-Material rifle is pretty hilarious. Playing it like a FPS like I used to do made the game ridiculously easy even on Very Hard, don't know why I didn't try this earlier.

I don't think the fact that I'm VATSing everything has affected my weapon selection so much as my need to choose between guns skills and other skills. I have found that, with some of the quirks of VATS, getting more shots in before you're out of AP gets more consistent kills than something where you just get a shot or two. It's frustrating to unload everything with a high powered rifle only to have the bullet shoot past / not fire at all / hit some random material that shouldn't really be there and then have to wait.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Antares posted:

Doesn't VATS have a bug on shotgun damage rolls? I forget exactly what it was doing but I think against low DT you do higher damage than free aiming because it adds the pellets together but only subtracts DT once. Or whatever. Anyway shotguns are really good.

You actually have that backwards, I think. According to the fallout wiki:

quote:

Using shotguns in V.A.T.S. can sometimes do minimal damage. Shotguns' damage uses a Spread Radius and thus, a certain amount of damage for each single part of the spread, for example: 8x6 - each part of the spread does 8 damage, but the damage is multiplied by the 6 parts of the spread, in V.A.T.S., sometimes it will cancel the spread and only do the base damage - in comparison to the example above, instead of doing 8x6 worth of damage, it will only do 8 points of damage, making a shotgun in V.A.T.S. a gamble.

And I've definitely had that happen, which again is why I'm using the combat shotgun for it's rapid attack. Also, I am playing TTW which is why I have the combat shotgun at the moment until I get my hands on the Riot Shotgun.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 12, 2015

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

If they could make it more interesting than FO3 I wouldn't mind the next game being The Institute. I kind of want a base story of slavery of the androids where you can either crush their abolitionist rebellion, help free them, or help them overthrow the humans and use the humans as slaves or something. It sounds dumb and basic, but I just like the idea of them enslaving the slavers as a moral choice.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

I've done this and also grabbed a bowie knife from TLR at the start of the game, I've tried going straight into DM and OWB. All of these provide good damage weapons, none of them really address the problem of people shooting and blowing you up as you close distance to them, usually without any available cover.

Unfortunately I don't think there really is a good answer to that, unless you get a mod that adjusts your speed with your agility like the stat says it's supposed to. Cranked up endurance and heavy armor. Running to grab Veronica and then sprinting through the BoS questline to get the power armor, I guess. OWB not only has a couple good melee weapons but the implants/modification or whatever they're called to reduce the crippleability of your limbs is nice too. Lots of Med-X.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

On the subject of the main quest givers (House, Caeasar, and that NCR guy whose name I don't remember) I was pleasantly surprised that they were all killable. I think outside of children and Yes-Man pretty much everyone in NV is murderable. It's not a super big thing, but I got tired of trying to kill some people in FO3 during a particularly violent run only to be foiled by them getting right back up Right up until I gave up when I learned that Harkness, along with I think a couple of the merchants in Rivet City, is essential for some ungodly reason. I don't even know why, I don't think he's part of any of the main quest line at all.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Roobanguy posted:

p much. anytime i do another path i always feel like a scum bag for killing house. dude saved your life and didn't have to do it. i doubt he would of hunted you down if you had ran off back to the ncr or something.

Technically he's also the reason you were shot in the head in the first place. Also, Victor saved your life. At that distance I think it explicitly says that House only has minimal control of his securitrons. Victor was just programmed to get the chip to House and trying to keep you from dying was part of that.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

House is cocky because he thinks he's exceptionally brilliant because of how much insane poo poo he's pulled off over the years, up to and including still being loving alive. If you look at his stats he has a 10 Luck. He isn't dumb but it's mostly just raw dumb luck carrying him through his ridiculously long life. He believes he's brilliant but if you look at his entire history a lot of it is "I was in the right place at the right time."

That made me go look up his stats in the wiki. Amusingly he also has a Charisma of 1. More related, he does have a perception of 10 with an Intelligence of only 5. Makes sense; he's always made out as more of an observant person than a super intelligent scientist or something.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The correct answer to Benny is to disarm him then kill him with a headshot from his own drat gun.

Personally my favorite time I killed Benny was when I popped a stealth boy and turbo and put grenades on him and every one of his guards.

"No officer, I don't know what happened. They just spontaneously exploded."

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

It's very easy to get the Naughty Nightwear to get an extra luck, and then stick to slots once you've almost broken the casino with blackjack so you can go way over the limit with a jackpot before they ban you. I do this for every run through.

I've never done the slots, but I read that they nerfed them a long time ago, didn't they? Isn't more profitable to almost break and then bet everything on a single number in roulette until you win?

e: Looking it up, I guess it's roughly the same if the max bet is still 75 caps on a x100 win, although you risk breaking the casino but only barely if you get a lower payout, whereas roulette will always give you that 35x200 payout (eventually) by just betting a single number.

I always just break the banks through blackjack since I can do that consistently and it's not like I need the extra caps once I've broken all the casinos anyway.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Is there a mod to fix that?

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/54401/

Woops, misread the description. He changed the perception to BE 1 instead of 0 in order to get around that bug.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 3, 2015

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, but it also loves to spawn roboscorpions right on top of you every time you exit a building after finishing a quest stage. That gets pretty old as a sniper.

That got old really drat fast, although it did lead to me discovering my favorite way back to the Sink; after getting the (I think) x-2 antenna, when you're on top of the satellite dish one edge extends just pass the teleporting barrier thing. So you just stand on that edge and warp back to base, ignoring the scorpions entirely.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Considering you're one of many with complaints about those drat collars there's probably a million mods to get rid of them. During my (I think second?) run through of DM I also discovered that if you toggle God Mode and then let the collar go of it will never trigger again. You'll never hear it beeping or anything.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I think the only time I actually somewhat enjoyed Zeta was during my first playthrough; I had already done pretty much everything else there was to do at the time before I even bought Zeta and found it fun just running through everybody with my minigun, gatling laser, and missile launcher. It made everything less painful as I was able to speed through all the combat and samey corridors and at the time I enjoyed the characters from different time periods and places thing. Now it just feels like a horrible slog so I didn't even do it on my most recent TTW run.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The fate of Waking Cloud's family also distracted me from Daniel's "side".

I think I'm pretty much done with OWB now. As a first-time player with absolutely no clue of what to expect (other than difficulty), are there any specific preparations I should make before starting Lonesome Road? People were very helpful before, no spoilers obviously. :)

EDIT: In particular, should I put it off until I've played the main game a little more?

Lonesome road is actually the only DLC that you can test the waters with. You aren't locked into it and can actually fast travel around the map (once you've gotten the locations, obviously) including fast traveling back to the entrance area to leave IIRC.
I can't think of anything specific as far as preparing goes; there's nothing really special mechanically about LR. It is more like Dead Money where there's a lot of focus on the atmosphere which is pretty neat.

Bleh, making things spoiler free is hard.

Have you already gotten the chip back as part of the main storyline?

Garrand fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 15, 2015

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

No. I'm at the point where Benny runs off with it, because I apparently like playing the part of "narrative fool". I haven't delved that far into the main story, all things considered. I've met all the outlying groups and done some NCR quests, but that's about it.

Thanks for the notes guys. Surprising to hear you can leave whenever, with the other three DLCs in mind.

This isn't much of a spoiler (at least not storywise) so I hope you don't mind, but once you get the chip the various factions then want to speak with you and wipe your negative reputation. There's something you can do in LR that'll hurt your rep but it opens up a couple areas with nice loot and things to kill so you can feel free to do whatever if you haven't progressed in the story yet.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

The Lonesome Road deathclaws are much more powerful than regular ones, actually, so that's something to consider.

The Lonesome road Deathclaws actually level with the player somewhat. They're as strong as normal deathclaws up until level 30 wherein they get stronger (and even more so once you hit 40 and again at 50.)

Personally I never found LR particularly difficult and if you've already got 100 in guns and energy then you should also probably have at least one good weapon. Try and take on a deathclaw at the quarry north of goodsprings and see how well you can handle it.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 15, 2015

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

bleh, ignore this. Only signature weapons had a re-balanced version.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Fuzz1138 posted:

So I actually started with New Vegas a few years ago and still haven't played Fallout 3.

Hopefully my NV mods don't conflict with Tale of Two Wastelands, because I need to find out who these Tunnel Snakes are and what exactly it is that they do.

Most mods dealing with mechanics won't conflict with anything but if it's something that adds actual content (weapons, weapon mods, armors etc) it won't show up anywhere in the Capital Wasteland. Or things like Powered Power Armor won't include the power armors of Fallout 3. There is, however, a whole host of converted mods on the TTW forums itself.

And the Tunnel Snakes rule. That's what they do.