Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Just cleared out Primm with jsawyer and IWS. :stare:

There's at least a dozen convicts, I'm at level 3 and still using my varmit rifle, they're spamming dynamite like nobody's business. One of them had a loving flamethrower. I ended up dragging them to the NCR outpost and letting them fight it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

JawKnee posted:

IWS is fantastic. Hope you're ready for the Nipton rest-stop :getin:

Rest stop wasn't too bad, wandered into a gunfight between NCR and Vipers. The rest stop after the Outpost was pretty bad- killed like 10 guys then fast-traveled away, then they respawned. The Bright Followers wrecked my poo poo, and I'd have been in real trouble if a dead Legion trooper hadn't dropped a chainsaw. That got my overencumbered rear end to Ranger Station Charlie with less than a dozen rounds on my cowboy repeater.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

JawKnee posted:

You folks are making me want to boot this up again, grab Boone, and punch Caesar's head off.

This game is the best purchase I've ever made.

Fallout: New Vegas- 64%, 2.5 Mb/s

Thanks, thread.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

I remember that originally all the factions were going to be "more grey" and probably didn't have the Legion be so morally repugnant, but it was dropped to reinforce the very dark difference between the Legion and the NCR, with the latter being portrayed more as the good, incompetent guys.

House was made to appeal to Scandinavians or something like that, from what I remember rope kid posting about.

I do kind of wish we got the grey storyline instead of these "best choices".

I seem to remember a dev (rope kid?) saying that the Legion was never supposed to be less evil, but rather that you'd get to go see Legion-held civilian territory and travel with Ulysses, who'd be a Legion supporter. Right now, even if you're a complete sociopath, the Legion isn't a terribly good choice, and it would have been nice to see them upgraded to "Well, I guess these guys probably are a good choice to run the Mojave, if, you know, you are completely lacking a moral compass."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Drakyn posted:

All this talk is making me feel the urge to revisit only-knows-how-to-use-a-shotgun-man.

Combine And Stay Back and Super Slam. You end up ragdolling everything. Nothing quite like shooting a deathclaw with a shotgun and watching him fly ten feet back.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Just saw The Mission, and holy hell now I really want to play Honest Hearts again.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Does anyone have that map of the political boundaries of the Fallout universe in the New Vegas era? Google isn't returning anything.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Raygereio posted:

If you own FO3's DLC, then you can get some items that turn you into an ingame god. Operation Anchorage gives you a Stealth Suit which is an infinite use Stealth Boy. Once you start wearing it you pretty much just phase into another plane of existance and occasionally pop back into reality to poke people to death with your burning sword.
And in The Pitt you can get the Metal Blaster which is a special Laser Rifle which was made to be abused with sneak attacks and regular critical hits.

Don't forget the bonnet.

I wonder how viable Unarmed is in FO3? In New Vegas you got Ballistic Fists and the special attacks, but on FO3 even fully perked-up a Deathclaw Gauntlet has less DPS than a unmodified Shishkebab.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

Dear god, those Green Geckos wandering about Utah are meaner than Deathclaws. Tried to break out the C-Finder on them, they jumped over and ripped my head off while it was still buzzing.

I've just been playing through Honest Hearts, and I feel your pain. They're manageable at range, but if one lunges at you you're pretty much hosed. (Although this is with jswayer, so I'm running around with like half health.)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Where are Heck Gunderson and the other brahmin ranchers located? I was thinking about running a Fallout PnP, and wanted to do a cattle drive.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Thanks for the replies. How canon is Van Buren? I wanted to do some stuff out in the Idaho-Oregon-Wyoming-Nevada area as the 'frontier' but a lot of that is fleshed out in the design docs.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Been flipping through the wiki, and it seems that a lot of the locations are, by the time of New Vegas, firmly in Legion territory. So I doubt it'd still be there in a campaign running parallel. Doing some stuff with a Legion/Hecate war would be pretty rad though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

I believe the townspeople comment about the fact that despite all walking around with weapons they have very little ammo. Totally at odds with Johnson Nash's merchant inventory which is generally swimming in it, but eh, they tried to give a pseudo-legitimate reason for it.

I see the NCR side less as they're unable and more their hands are tied by bureaucracy, as for most of the game.

I do wish there'd been some sort of option to get them to attack- bring ammo, hire mercs, talk the NCR into it. As it stands, it's a main path quest with only two options: Shoot your way in or sneak in (difficult at low level, requires either one specific character build or a Stealth Boy). Shooting it up isn't *that* difficult, but play with difficulty mods (or up the difficulty directly, but who does that?) and you're in trouble. It's also a problem if you're a non-combat focused character. You could just skip it, but I'm not quite sure how that works out.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Might depend on your stats. I went back after completing the Glow and as I recall they basically gave me the run of their base, let me buy weapons and talk to everyone, and gave me some pretty vital intel on the Super Mutants which ended up being my trump card when I confronted the Master. I thought "why do all the Fallout 3 haters say the Brotherhood were assholes in this game, they seem pretty chill really."

The Fallout 2 Brotherhood were even nicer. "Hey, could you go scout this area for us? OK thanks, you can now have our power armour and weapons and use this stat-improving machine."

Yeah, I could definitely see the FO3 brotherhood evolving from the FO1 (even if they're still terribly written) given their best ending has them trading with the locals. They're still kinda dicks, but honestly compared to the rest of FO1 they're not that bad. I'd like ot know more about the NCR-BoS war, it was a big part of Van Buren but that's questionably canon.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

2house2fly posted:

I found Melee to be so effective for the most part that I'd occasionally check to see that I hadn't accidentally set the game to Easy. Of course I kept a few ranged weapons handy for cazadores and Deathclaws right enough; strictly Melee could get reeeeal hard under the right circumstances.

Also, the end of Tactics involves sacrificing yourself and I guess some kind of robotic overlord? So Fallout 3 didn't just yank plot points and factions wholesale from the first two games, they did it from Tactics too?! The Offically Non Canon one?

Cazadores, as always, can gently caress right off, but Turbo and Psycho can make melee very viable against deathclaws. Still requires some quicksaving, but it's no less dangerous than other methods not involving stealth-sniper builds.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

2house2fly posted:

drat, I'll be keeping an eye on that. Being node-based is a good way around my objection, that being able to see the Cathedral from Shady Sands, inevitable in a Bethesda style open-world game, would detract from the scale of the game. Being able to flee sounds good too, if they can make enemies tough enough to emulate that Fallout 1 "you are small and weak in a big, hostile world" feeling.

I do wish they'd had an opening area to emerge into when you leave the Vault. For all Fallout 3's faults, coming out of the vault for the first time and being dazzled by the sunlight before seeing the ruined world was an amazing moment, and I kind of felt an equivalent was missing in Fallout 1. Purists would probably go nuts if there was a derelict town to explore right near vault 13 like Sunnyvale or whatever in F3, but then purists would go nuts about the very idea of porting Fallout into a 3d first-person game, so whatever. They also don't seem to be using the original voices, or I'm misremembering how the Overseer talked. Still, looks very impressive and I hope they manage to finish it.

I really kinda wish they'd bring back the node-based system. You'd be able to show off the inhabited areas much better and have a lot more of them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

SpookyLizard posted:

There, is, in fact, a similar moment in Fallout upon exiting the cave. Don't run immediately to the zone exit and /or check the message history. I seem to vaguely remember the screen flashing white, but that may be just me.

I seem to remember no visual effect but rather a text message popping up along the lines of "You have reached the entrance to the Vault, your eyes see natural light for the first time."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm fairly certain that all companion quests *can* be done at any time (assuming non-psychopathic play), but some of them basically require you to always use them or read a wiki. It's one of NV's handful of flaws.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

I can't think of a way you could really gently caress up Cass's quest, unless you just wantonly slaughter both Alice McLafferty and the Van Graffs first, but I thought if at least one of them was alive you'd be okay? Barring a Legion victory Arcade's is almost impossible not to get, because he has so many instances that will give him a couple of points. Same with Veronica, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to travel with Veronica outside of triggering that multiple companions glitch.

Raul's you can very much gently caress up by talking to three specific old people too early, and Boone's requires a lot of work too, because there's only so many events and most players are going to be indiscriminately slaughtering Legion anyway at a certain point.

I have no idea how to start Lily's quest, though. I had her as my companion for like 80% of one playthrough and it never triggered.

Lily you just need to keep in your party until she gets badly hurt (which depending on skill, difficulty, being a loving nightkin etc may not happen) and then talk to her, so maybe bugs? I'm sure Raul can be done at any point, since on both my playthroughs I picked him up late and still finished it (although one did require summoning Loyal, but I think that's a bug.) Fallout wiki informs me that Boone's can be permanently missed, but it should work out as long as you keep him around whenever you're fighting Legion.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

King Doom posted:

Welp, last game started crashing every thirty seconds or so with two of the DLC and the last few NCR missions left to do, better start another.

Oh look, two hours in and both of the save files I've made are corrupt due to me levelling up in the middle of a fight and saving before I got the level up/distribute points screen.

Rope Kid, do you ever feel even slightly bitter that bethesda gave you guys such a loving piss poor excuse for an engine, especially considering the masterpiece you guys put together using it?

I do seem to remember someone on Obsidian mentioning that buggy as it was, Gamebryo was the easiest engine they've had to work with.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

"... Was that an attempt at humor?"

By the way is "copasheshy" a word anyone ever used or it just something Jack made up?

Probably supposed to be capice?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

CheeseThief posted:

I had been wondering to myself for quite a while as to what Fallout was going to do in the next few years, considering so far they've proven unwilling to retread old ground and make games set earlier in the time line, but this sounds like both a plausible answer and an awesome one.

Bring on the Laser Cowboys Sci Fi Western I say.

This is something I really, really hope they do. There are dozens of games about being a scavenger in a post-apocalyptic wilderness (STALKER is basically a better version of FO3 minus the RPG elements) but a Western with automatic weapons and mutants is really, really neat, especially if they keep up the interesting factional and ideological conflicts.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

New Let's Play idea spotted. :unsmigghh:

I've always wanted to do a cannibal run eating only humans/ghouls. Bonus points for traveling only at night.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

How'd you die 20 times? Are you playing on Very Hard? Because playing on Normal with jsawyer is kind of the best way to play.

I dunno, if you have no combat skills or have another mod that makes more enemies or makes combat harder, Primm is a nightmare. Try taking it out against 20 or so convicts with a broken hunting rifle and a few sticks of dynamite.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Smol posted:

You have some other mods there. After the patch that removed half of the enemies in Primm, I'm not sure if there are 20 powder gangers in total in the town (inside and outside bison Steve).

Yeah, I was running other mods, which did up the difficulty. But if the other guy was also running mods, or just had a character with poo poo combat skills, Primm could be pretty tricky.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So. Um. Apparently green geckos can goomba-stomp you.

Presumably anyone can, just happened to be a gecko for me.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I love that one doctor outside Novac. "You want me to patch you up? Sure, it's really unlikely I'd botch two operations in the same day."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lord Lambeth posted:

I love that she's not even remotely attached to any quest(that I know of) and she oozes character anyway. She could have been a completely generic doctor but nope, obsidian had to make her different.

There's also a really nice touch in Honest Hearts where if you ask Daniel to cure your addictions he'll give you poo poo about using addictive substances in the first place. Come to think of it, RPing a religious character with dietary restrictions would be pretty cool.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

You don't run Logan's Loophole to avoid addiction.

You run Logan's Loophole because it stacks with Chemist for 4x chem duration. :hellyeah::2bong:

(60 second Turbo. :psyboom:)

Turbo always annoys me cause you get addicted and you have to be constantly high to alleviate addiction, so you're basically forced to take the hit unless you wanna spend all your rare drugs on making you move in slowmotion.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I usually play with JSawyer, which caps it at 21 :smith:

This, plus dealing with addiction is kind of a nice little drawback. Also I'm way to :spergin: to give up those skillpoints.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

What's the best way to earn money around level 15 in jsawyer? I'm always really hard up for caps at that point- murdering the entirety of Cottonwood Cove and selling all their poo poo at Barter 50 was just enough to cover a Trail Carbine, and I seem to have misplaced my shotgun somewhere.

e: The answer? Legion assassins, about 3000 caps a hit squad.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 29, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Goddamn, that Someone to Watch Over Me quest got dark all of a sudden. :stare:

Was a little annoyed that there's no options to deal with Alice other than letting her go or shooting her on the spot. Now I have to resist the urge of those thousand caps just sitting there...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

I'm assuming you didn't pass the speech checks? They are pretty high (like 75). Though, according to the wiki, there appears to be a way to reconcile Alice and her mom without having to pass any checks...

Yeah, I saw those, I'd have just liked "Stay here until your father/NCR/whoever arrives!" "You'll never take me alive!" *gunfight* which would have the same result but it wouldn't look like your choices are either shooting a teen in cold blood or letting someone get away with murder.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Chronojam posted:

Yes. I'd even say to get it before playing the game for the first time.

Yeah, the only reason not to use it is that it might be a little rough on a first-time player, but if you're familiar enough with the game not to get yourself murdered out of the gate you'll be fine.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Threadkiller Dog posted:

How does Sawyer mod play with Project Nevada, any obvious conflicts?

Only with Rebalance, and then you can just mess with the values to your liking.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

3Romeo posted:

One of my great pleasures is getting all of my companions killed during my adventures. Half the time it's something stupid (like fast-traveling to Black Mountain into the middle of 3 deathclaws). The other half is cazadores.

And then I do Lonesome Road, and ask myself what can change the nature of a man.

edit: Honestly, my only real complaint about hardcore mode is permanent companion death. So many things go so wrong with the engine and animations that they tend to die for completely avoidable reasons. So I collect my friends and put them in my tower like they're pokemon.

I just reload. I'd love a mod that mad you revive companions- the idea of a major character just dying off because you hosed up is pretty neat but 99% of companion deaths are Veronica trying to see if she can punch a cazador to death. (Spoiler alert: she can't.)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

3Romeo posted:

Actually, speaking of companions: say I've soloed all the way up to Hoover Dam. Can I still do their side quests (like Arcade's) if they weren't with me at particular trigger points?

Check the wiki. IIRC, Boone's is permanently missable, Lily's requires running around with her until she's injured, and Raul's has a tendency to glitch out. You'll never find the triggers without the wiki, though, exceptions being Cass (who just hands it to you) and Boone (who you just have to kill Legion with.)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I have to be more careful, I play on a lower difficulty (Normal), and I die more than in my pre-jsawyer play, but you still feel obscenely overpowered if you focus on combat in your leveling, just more overpowered in a "Savescum to Navarro at the beginning of Fallout 2" way and less in an immortal god way.

It's the progression curve I love. Primm fucks you up, radscorpions haunt your nightmares the first few levels, I ended up limping into Novac overencumbered on two broken legs and about twenty health. Then by Lonesome Road you're one-shotting deathclaws and it's the best feeling in the loving world.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Thanqol posted:

The House ending is the best just because some of the one-liners you can drop on Oliver.

"Your comprehension is not required, only your compliance."

Talking down Oliver is easily the best part. I hit level 35 just as I was making my way through the final mission, dumped it all to max out Science and lo and behold, there's a 100 Science check right at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

dog nougat posted:

I'm just about to start playing this for the first time, despite buying during the 2012 summer sale...most likely. Thanks steam front page!! I'm looking through the mod list in the modding thread. What mods, if any should I start out with to make the game "better". Right now, I'm just looking at the visual mods. Western skies to be exact.

I'd also add the Strip Open, Freeside Open, and Outside Bets mods. The first two remove some loading screens in Vegas making it one continuous area, and the last adds a few NPCs cut for time or memory, nothing major but it adds a lot of atmosphere.