Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

poptart_fairy posted:

So does anyone know why New Vegas crashes the moment I press 'Play Game' in the launcher? One day it was working perfectly, the next - after I completed it with the Mr House ending - it wasn't. I've reinstalled twice and have no mods, so this is really annoying. :(
Is the launcher crashing or the actual game? I had that problem until I made Windows 7 run the launcher executable in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah this works fine for the launcher but you have to be careful in Windows 7 because setting the launcher to XP SP3 compatibility mode will also set Steam to that compatibility mode if you launch through Steam. Afterwards Steam will refuse to start and you'll have to delete the registry entries that set those modes since for some reason they won't actually be available to change in the properties window.
I don't seem to have this problem with my workaround. I navigated to steamapps/common/fallout new vegas, right-clicked the launcher, and checked compatibility mode. Steam doesn't seem to be running in that mode (but then again I always have Steam running), and when I start NV, all I get is a UAC prompt. No big deal.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
He's the messenger Caesar sends to New Vegas after your Benny encounter at The Tops. Normally it's Vulpes, but in this case he was probably killed at Nipton.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

The King of Swag posted:

Cross-posting from the TFR games thread.

Harumph.

I've decided to play New Vegas again; it has been installed on my computer untouched all this time and worked fine when I stopped playing it. Before I picked it back up though, I decided to check if there was any new patches that fixed some of the bugs that were present when first released (I haven't played since the first couple weeks it came out). I was happy to find that the game was up to patch 7, so I updated it to the newest version, and now the sound doesn't work. To be more specific, voice acting and most sound effects don't work. Music, ambient noise (crickets, etc.) and gunfire work fine, but everything else is dead silent. I knew something was up before I even got into the actual game, because the menu no longer made any clicking noises when going through it.

I've tried about a million different tricks, hacks and mods that are supposed to fix this problem, but nothing works, including wiping it from my system entirely and starting again from scratch (without the patches).

I'm out of ideas and ten hours of my time (I've been working on it all day), and the game simply isn't worth playing with so much of the audio missing.

I'm hoping someone has encountered and conquered this problem already.
Not sure how you're playing the game "without patches". The game uses Steam for activation and keeping it up to date.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

A Violence Gang posted:

Also forgot that I was using a mod called something like Terrain Fixer that lists among its features removing invisible walls, that must be why I was able to get there. Installed it after I hit some random point where I was trying to take a shortcut across a hill and couldn't jump across some rock I clearly should have been able to. Weird like it wasn't denying me access to some part of the map for a reason, just some rock you randomly weren't allowed to jump on.
You probably hit the invisible wall northeast of Goodsprings. Rope Kid explained the wall was there to prevent you from getting slaughtered by night crawlers while you were still a low level.