Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Xik posted:

Does anyone play with no companions?
I've played through 3 times, and so far the only companion I ever recruited was ED-E, who I used for about half of one of those playthroughs (not counting DLC, of course). There's a lot of reasons I don't like using companions in these games, but mainly I get sick of them charging after enemies that seem like miles away at the drop of a hat. I prefer exploring the wastes at a more relaxed pace, and I hate having to chase after them all the time to make sure they don't get into trouble. I also don't like how they constantly repeat the same combat barks and I get annoyed having to manage their inventory.

The way the game reacts to your actions makes it feel like you're going solo anyway most of the time, no matter who's with you, so taking companions along feels unnatural anyway. I'm not a pack-rat either so I rarely have need for a mule to carry all of my stuff.

I am planning on doing a new playthrough soon to recruit all of them and run through their quests. I'm probably just going to send them back home as soon as I can and go it alone most of the time anyway, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Bash Ironfist posted:

The Atomic Wrangler's got you covered!

So I have HH, OWB, and LR. I played through HH and disliked it. If I disliked that, would I like DM? I get some money at the beginning of next month, and I'm trying to choose what to buy with my fun budget. Is DM a must-have dlc?
Dead Money is by far the most polarizing DLC. Some people love it, and some people hate it. I consider it be the best of the DLC by a good margin.

I can tell you that it's almost as different from Honest Hearts as it can be. If you like the type of Fallout experience where you have to scrounge for every bullet and stimpack and the environment is as much a hazard as the enemies, it might be for you.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

randombattle posted:

I really liked parts of HH like the lore with the ranger stuck in the valley. I only found about half of his logs so I never found out why he was there or why he never left but hearing him talk about the vault opening and the random bands of people moving through was really awesome. What was that guys deal? Where did he go and why was he there?
It's worth reading all of the logs in order.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Randall_Clark_terminal_entries

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Jerusalem posted:

Oh man, it's the best part of the DLC and throws the options Joshua and Daniel offer you into an entirely new light. Basically, he was a ranger who realized the bombs were coming down and went and hid in Zion. He "abandoned" his family to do so, even though he knew there was absolutely no chance of them surviving or him "saving" them if he had gone into the city where they lived when he saw the bombs coming.
Actually, to clarify a bit. He didn't go to Zion to avoid the bombs, he just happened to be there when they fell. The reason he felt like he had abandoned his family (in addition to the survivors guilt) was that he was suffering from PTSD from what he'd seen in the Canadian war and was constantly leaving his family to go on solo camping trips to be alone, despite his wife asking him to stay home with his family.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

brozozo posted:

On the same topic, I know you can target grenades in VATS when they are in midair, but is it ever possible to shoot at them? Every time that happens to occur, I have a 0% chance to hit.
I'm pretty sure that was a bug introduced in one of the first patches for Fallout 3 that never actually got fixed. It was the same patch that added the delay to VATs which still exists in the most recent versions of both Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Mods shouldn't affect them, but if you open the console at all it will disable achievements for that session. If you save and quit after using the console and restart the game, you should start earning them unless you use the console again.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

moot the hopple posted:

2) How much of the NCR/Legion stuff can I do without loving up the independent New Vegas stuff?
It's impossible to screw up the Independent route. It's always there as a fallback in case you screw up with all of the other factions. Just don't go past the point of no return (which you can't miss).

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
New Vegas was pretty much bound to get scores around the 85% range no matter what the quality of the game was. As was said above, game reviewers are slaves to narratives, and they get caught up in hype just as much as any run-of-the-mill forum poster (probably more so with all the developer access and free swag they get). Once you figure out the prevailing attitudes about a series or company it's shockingly easy to predict what kind of scores a game is going to get months before it's released.

It doesn't help that most game journalists have very little perspective or sense of history about the industry they work in. I wish I could find a link, but one of the larger websites had a line in their New Vegas review about how hardcore Fallout fans were worried about development being moved away from Bethesda to a developer who had no experience with the franchise.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I think I've read that Christine will hate you if you say that Elijah should be spared or reasoned with, regardless of how you treated her otherwise. I'm not positive, but that could be a factor.

When it comes to DLC, I concur with most of the others and say you should try them all. I personally think Dead Money is the best of the four and Old World Blues is the worst, but I still think they should all be experienced, especially if you're a fan of the game. As someone else said, you can get them all for around $10 if you wait for a Steam sale.

I agree with Leinadi about the order. Personally, I prefer to do Honest Hearts before even entering Vegas, Dead Money and Old World Blues whenever, and Lonesome Road right before the point-of-no-return.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Yeah, all games with the GFW (even if it's not "live") banner on them will support the 360 controller, and have 360 button prompts on them.
That's not actually a requirement, just a recommendation. Bioshock 2, for instance, is GFWL but does not have any built in gamepad support.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Kharmakazy posted:

Lots of that goes out the window with the story being that you were shot in the head and don't really remember anything.
I'm pretty sure it's never implied that the Courier has amnesia, nor was it meant to be. The idea isn't that you forgot what was important about the package you were carrying, it's that you never knew.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Propaganda Hour posted:

I'm near the end of Dead Money and Christine keeps trying to kill me and there is nothing I seem to be able to do about it.
VVVV I don't know where though, I keep replaying the same 3 hours of the game looking for something I've messed up and it keeps happening
If you ever say you're not going to kill Elijah, she'll hate you. You can't suggest you're going to spare him or reason with him any time it comes up.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Reveilled posted:

I haven't relayed it yet like I said so this is based on a somewhat vague memory, but I think it would have been thematically relevant if I had blown up ulysses home and didn't know about it. But I don't think I actually did that, as I recall the divide was my home too, and that felt utterly nonsensical when my character's dialogue was effectively railroaded in the direction of "I don't remember this place".
The Divide wasn't meant to be your home, it was just one of the many places you passed through as a courier. It was Ulysses's home, and the entire reason he has a grudge with you is because you delivered a package and just kept going, not realizing that what you had delivered devastated his home and his life.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Turtlicious posted:

I have yet to play Lonesome Road, in fact it's the only DLC I've managed not to play. What the hell is wrong with me. I'm going to buckle down today and get that poo poo done. I have a continue after ending mod. Would it be smarter or dumber to do all the DLC AFTER I've done everything at Hoover Dam?
It actually makes the most sense to be done directly before the final battle. The DLC references the upcoming battle at the dam a few times.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

achillesforever6 posted:

My current playthrough I'm leaving the radio off to add better atmosphere when I go exploring.
I do this on all of my playthroughs. I like the atmosphere they create in bars and shops, but I hear enough repeated news and music just from those radios. I can't imagine leaving them on while exploring the wastes. The ambient music is much better for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

posh spaz posted:

I make a no fast travel rule. If something is cool enough to pick up and manually carry home, I take it. Otherwise I just leave it. Compulsive looting of corpses isn't fun, imo.
I play the same way. I can't imaging compulsive hoarding is all that enjoyable, but that seems to be the way most people play these games. Scavenging is kind of fun when you're hunting for low-weight/high-value items instead of just hitting 'Loot all' on every container in the world.

I've never had money problems playing that way either. I mean, what do you even do with your money if you feel the need to sell everything in the world that's not nailed down? There's not that much to spend your caps on.

I guess that's why I've never cared that much about getting a player house either. Anything I plan on using I carry with me. Everything else gets sold or left behind.