Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Chinaman7000 posted:

I think I've heard Legate say that before the DLC, but I could be wrong. Just a comment that he actually respects you unlike the rest of the NCR.
Yeah, that's definitely a default line.

I also just checked the dialogues that are in LonesomeRoad.esm - they're all associated with EDE or Ulysses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

rope kid posted:

Solar Powered heals 1 hp/sec. as of the last or second-to-last patch.
Dang, you've got to put changes like this in big, bold letters somewhere. That changes it from 'laughably worthless' to 'actually pretty nice.'

poptart_fairy posted:

I can't stop using Guns. I want to make a melee or unarmed build at some point but they seem so clumsy and lack finesse. :qq:
I know what you mean. Popping heads just has a certain satisfaction. Plus, bullet-tracking VATS shots.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

rope kid posted:

Whether you think it's a "legit" reason or not, it's actually to ensure that the Legion breeds as many new legionaries as it can at the fastest possible rate. The way it is communicated in game often comes across as "traditionally" sexist instead of "follow these gender roles for army min-maxing".
Caesar probably should have said something about that. That did occur to me, playing through, as a half-passable excuse - that the limited role for women both avoids putting them in direct danger and avoids any delay of child-bearing for professional reasons. But then they also have them carry those giant packs, which is kind of weird and not totally coherent with that perspective.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

CommanderCoffee posted:

The ones carrying the packs were slaves, yeah? So maybe, because they're captured NCR/Mojave citizens, they're not worthy of breeding Legion military men. The Legion childbearers would probably be back in Phoenix and Two Sun anyways.
It's my understanding that all women in Legion territory are slaves, not just captures.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

CommanderCoffee posted:

Did I say those that were not NCR/Mojave citizens were not slaves? May have been implied, but then again, there is an advantage to keeping captured enemy in the camp and actual Legion Baby Breeders away from it.
Well, yeah, you seemed to be using the idea "they're slaves, therefore they're NCR/Mojave citizens." Which would imply that non-NCR/Mojave citizens are non-slaves.

But anyway. I don't see any reason captured NCR people wouldn't be used as Legion Baby Breeders, given that the Legion is all about forced assimilation.

Akalies posted:

The truth is I don't have a lot of confidence in Bethesda to integrate Fallout to Hawaii or Florida, but I'd love to see the insanity that's going on over there. The Commonwealth could be awesome too, but a straight skip to replicant style androids from the clunky Mr. Gutsies would be a hard sale.
Turns out the 'androids' are actually just brainwashed humans.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 2, 2011

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

closeted republican posted:

Psycho and Jet abuse with a high AGL character is the best. Eat two Vindicator bursts in one rounds bitches! :black101:
Pff. The only use I have for jet is to make Turbo. Can't beat turbo. Turbo turboturboturboturbo.

Also, med-x and slasher together when you want to go toe-to-toe with deathclaws.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Definitely a bug, definitely related to the embassy MPs. Happened to me multiple times.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

1stGear posted:

I am finally about to try and put some serious time into this game and pretty much just want a cowboy character. Low Speech, just roaming the Mojave and shooting dudes in straight-up firefights (preferably with a revolver or some other conventional one-handed gun). Is this viable or will I never make it out of the first town?
Quite viable. Not the easiest build in the world, but far from the hardest.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, as Syrant said, there's the Thorn, which is what most people usually find, but then there's a whole giant network of sewer tunnels running under Vegas, connecting all the outer points. Some are safe and inhabited by tunnel dwellers, others are full of ghouls, rodents of unusual size and Fiends. The most obvious entrances are a manhole just outside McCarran Airfield, and another on the east exit from the Crimson Caravan.
Not really much of interest in them, though.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

*breathe heavily, run hand over your face*
Dala: :stare:
They definitely went a little risqué with that one. Don't forget the whole sonic emitter sequence.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
And hand penises. And the garden machine. And the ending sequence for the stealth facility...man, what wasn't a sex joke in OWB?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Hah. The 'certified tech' perk from Lonesome Road is bugged to give +.25% critical hit chance against robots, instead of +25%. Amusing how things like that can sneak through.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, if Caesar's dead and you go the Legion route Lanius pretty much fucks the entire Mojave because he's hellbent on killing everyone and everything. Vegas burns, the Followers are slaughtered, etc. He's not a subtle man.
Which is weird, because he sounds a lot more subtle in your conversation with him. People talk about him like he's a ravening beast, and then he's fairly intelligent when you speak to him, and then in the ending slides he's a ravening beast again. Odd.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I'm pretty sure Caesar explicitly says on multiple occasions that he's got nothing but a roaming army and New Vegas is to be his "Rome". There's a large occupied area he's emptied of warring factions but nothing to speak of in it but slaves and warcamps.
He definitely explicitly says that he wants Vegas to be his Rome, so presumably there isn't any other kind of major center to Legion-controlled territory. But then there is the idea of Legion-controlled territory as distinct from "where the Legion is right this second," and there's the trader who talks about how he can do good business out there since it's safe, so...it's all a little ambiguous. And perhaps somewhat contradictory - I have the feeling all the details here weren't really worked out.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 6, 2011

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

It's also great because you immediately go from this to your interview with House, who's exactly the same only with capitalism and technology instead of fascism and military strategy, and without the comparison it's not immediately evident what House's deal actually is.
Well, House has the advantage that he isn't going to die, which substantially changes the functional longevity of the system.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 6, 2011

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

SourceElement posted:

If you're playing a "humanitarian" character, going with the Legion is the easiest route to get the Meat of Champions perk.
That entails only going with them up to a point, though.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

I've just noticed Strudel Man's tag. I imagine it in Caesar's voice and :haw:
This is the real reason he asks you to blow up the bunker beneath the Fort.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Dude has his obituary prepped and ready to go at any time, he's pretty aggressively cognizant of his own mortality. He just wants to think that he can cheat death forever if he schemes hard enough just like Caesar wants to think his eternal Reich will vindicate him if only he conquers hard enough;
Those two things aren't very much like each other. He's already cheated death for hundreds of years amidst a ruined civilization; there's no reason to think he won't continue to do so unless the Courier breaks in and tenderizes him. He has his obituary prepped and ready to go because planning literally everything is kind of his thing. Like an undead batman.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Aside from that the flaws in his plans have nearly killed him twice already?
I'm not totally sure to which incidents you're referring. Is one of them the nuclear war?

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

He's meant to be a rational actor ubermensch, he's not God. If he was actually a flawless planner of everything the plot wouldn't exist (the setting wouldn't exist).
He doesn't have to be God to have a better plan than Caesar.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Also reloading bench options for casting gold bullets :whatup:
This...is actually an amazing idea. I'd do it myself if I had any experience working textures.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Kharmakazy posted:

I know that, that's why I fixed it. But I mean are they calculated into anything like perks that check for light armor, or sneaking?
Nah. The light armor perk is handled with a list of every piece of armor which does not qualify for light touch/travel light.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

But does this mean the light armor perks don't actually work correctly, or they're just programmed in in a really backwards and obtuse way?
It means they're programmed in a backwards and obtuse way, but it's necessary, since the engine doesn't have any function to check whether or not you're using light armor. The way they did it allows false positives (for example, modded-in heavy armors giving you the bonus, since they're not on the disallow list), but prevents false negatives (modded-in light armors not giving you the bonus, due to not being on a hypothetical allow list).

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

That's pretty much the worst ending. The best ending I managed to get was:

Convince God and Dog to unify, convince Dean to help you stop Elijah, convince Christine to stay out of the final confrontation and string together Vera's voice-passcode from her old recordings. Then convince Elijah to come down to the vault, and sneak out as he comes down and sets off the alarms that set off the trap left behind for Dean pre-war. Elijah will be trapped in the vault forever, the others wait for you for a little bit, but they can't trust each other enough to stick around so they depart to make their own lives (Dean suggests he will check out Vegas). When you return to the abandoned BoS Bunker, a final message from Christine/Vera bids you goodbye and good luck for the future.
Actually, you can get a better ending if you kill Dean, because he's a horrible bastard who doesn't deserve to extend his miserable life by another damned day.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Lonesome Road -> This crazy mutant keeps saying how the air tastes like copper.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Orange Crush Rush posted:

edit:VVVV With that I just assumed because Yes Man is an AI that can jump from Securtron to Securtron, he just jumps to the one guarding the Tops when you walk into that away and goes away after you leave.
Why would he do that? The courier isn't anyone special to Yes Man. He just obeys him/her because he obeys everyone.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

VisAbsoluta posted:

I never understood how this works, because apparently even if I carry something like an eye with Z, it makes my character move as slowly as if he was picking up a whole Behemoth corpse.
Yeah, I don't get that. What I did was position his body near the forcefield door, load everything into it, and then hammer E when I got to the other side to open the bit that'll clip through.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Mordaedil posted:

It'd be interesting if the next villain was utterly sympathetic and had everyone's best interest in mind, but you are opposed to each other on the mere basis that he needs you dead. Maybe because of who you are or what you have, represents a threat to his well-being or many other people's well-being and the quickest way to solve the situation is a bullet to the head, so the quest becomes trying to prove to him that there's a better way and a way to fix the problem without outright killing you.
That would be a neat idea, but it's kind of hard to imagine a reasonable circumstance in which he would genuinely need you dead.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Mordaedil posted:

Off the tip of my head, yes, but it's not too difficult if you think about it enough. It doesn't have to be extremely complex. Just complex enough that you are a nuisance and need to be dead for things to start rolling. Or maybe something as simple as a pace-maker you have that is the only thing keeping you alive, it being sufficiently advanced enough to also be able to act as a key for a vault that holds an active fission reactor and it is steadily going out of control. Everyone knows it is going out of control because it is broadcasting in a radio signal everyone listens to and switches frequency often enough to interrupt broadcasts of whatever radio station is default in that game.

And that's a bit clichéd quick-thinking on my part. I'm sure you can make it an even more credible threat than a time-bomb. How about a broken water chip that has supplied the denizens of the entire Manhattan block with drinking water for the last 50 years, but every way off the island is laced with cazadores, so everyone are too afraid to leave and without water, they'll die, so...

Surely you can think of even better things.
I don't know that I could, really. The first one is pretty darn contrived (though I suppose some variant of 'the MacGuffin is inside you, keeping you alive' could work, even if it would make a peaceful resolution less possible). The second, I don't even know what your death would do to help.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

50 Foot Ant posted:

Big version NSFW due to post-apocalyptic rear end cheeks.

Chainsaw is how we roll in the wastelands, baby!
Why are you grey?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

So about the Legion and the Brotherhood...I am a member of the brotherhood of steel, but Caesar wants me to wipe them out. Is there any way to reconcile this without killing one side?
Nope.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

closeted republican posted:

Try grabbing something in red text when someone is sleeping near it. As soon as you grab it, they'll yell "THIEF!", get up and open fire, no matter how small the item is nor how much noise you made picking the item up. Apparently they're were just pretending to sleep, or something like that.
Gotta sleep with one eye open if you don't want people walking off with your bent tin cans.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

They could always have a second nuclear apocalypse - there's obviously plenty of working missiles around still, and it would fit with the theme of history repeating itself. The game could be set immediately after a nuclear war between the NCR and the Legion.
That would be awful. Also, the Legion nuking anyone makes no sense.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Assumethisisreal posted:

Yeah, but lets be honest, those tribals were preeeeeetty ghetto. They were actually just a stupid cult that worshiped a ghost or something (I don't remember).
Why are you talking about the Honest Hearts tribals in a discussion about Point Lookout? :confused:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Assumethisisreal posted:

No, I mean the Point Lookout tribals were ghetto. They were just a goofy cult that lived in a church. The HH tribals were "real" tribals.
Yeah, I was joking that "cult that worships a ghost" could describe the Sorrows' veneration of the Survivalist.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

That Gun isn't very strong because it's a 5mm. If you have Honest Hearts you should play that first and get A Light Shining in the Darkness.
A few points:

1. That Gun uses 5.56mm ammo, not 5mm.
2. That Gun is a revolver.
3. A Light Shining In Darkness isn't a revolver.
4. What's wrong with you, FO:NV is basically a Western, use a revolver. Lever-action shotguns are also permissible.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

A Light Shining in the Darkness is better than two revolvers (which should be possible).

Sorry for saying the wrong ammo type. I don't use That Gun because it's a piece of poo poo. Ranger Sequoia on the other hand, you can respectably fire that thing at people.
Fact: That Gun has a critical multiplier of 2.5, .5 higher than your precious deagle.
Fact: That Gun has a minimum spread of .5, making it more accurate than A Jerk Shining In Badness, which has .55.
Fact: That Gun has a base damage per shot of 30 - while this is admittedly ~10% less than ALSID's 33, that totally doesn't matter because it's that gun from Blade Runner.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

Somebody should reskin a Hitler toothbrush moustache on that MP so we all know which one is the troubler maker for future play throughs and 'solve' that problem right away.
It looks like the guy in question is VStreetNCRTrooperMPHarass. He's supposed to demand money from you if you have a negative reputation on the strip...hm. It would almost appear that this is leftover code, since it doesn't seem like he's actually supposed to wander outside the strip.

I'm guessing the intention was that if you have really bad strip reputation, this guy might track you down when you're away from the strip and try to kill you. But it was only half-implemented, and the 'attack' line only checks that you're not in the exterior strip cell. Doesn't even check your reputation.

Easy to fix. I made a quick little ESP that should take care of it. Just disables the line by adding a contradictory check. Think I should share it somewhere?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

Drop it on the Nexus, I'll use it.
Okay, I tossed it up here.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

DieLaughing posted:

I wish Lonesome Road had been available on my first run through the main storyline. So much of what Ulysses does is to teach you a lesson about taking responsibility for the consequences of your choices.
I seriously disagree. If a consequence is totally unexpected and unpredictable, you haven't chosen it, and you don't really bear responsibility for it. In the plot of Lonesome Road, it's absurd to suggest that the person who carries a package that ends up setting off bloody subterranean nuclear devices is somehow morally responsible for the destruction that results. You're not supposed to have had any hint of what would happen, and such a result is, to put it mildly, atypical of what happens when one carries a package from place to place.

Similarly, the other big event that's supposed to demonstrate that is so absurd as to be laughable. One lever both opens a door and fires a nuclear missile? Seriously?

It's like if you had a choice between chocolate and vanilla, but if you chose vanilla, a bus full of nuns dies. Somehow. And you only find out after the fact.
When the consequence doesn't logically follow in any predictable way from your actions, saying that you bear responsibility for it is just ludicrous.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

DieLaughing posted:

I can see where you're both coming from, but also I don't think the events in the Divide are that much more ridiculous than the Vault experiments or, well, a whole lot of things in the games.
It's not so much that they're ridiculous. I mean, I rolled my eyes a little at the missile launch, but it didn't really bother me that it happened. It's the idea of the plot then going back and saying "look at what you did, you're so careless, launching that missile like that." Sorry, but it's just not a predictable or reasonable consequence of opening doors - I don't bear moral responsibility for the zany events of wackyland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

randombattle posted:

Intended or not the Courier is responsible for the Divide
In the same sense that someone who steps on an old mine is responsible for their leg being blown off. That is to say, not at all.