Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
I feel like OWB should be the first DLC new characters play if only for The Sink. Now that's a proper home base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

Kharmakazy posted:

I just noticed that The Sink doesn't have a toilet or a bathtub...
That maize don't fertilize itself.

ColHannibal posted:

LR suffers from the "we gotta make this harder" syndrome with it's point blank death claw spawns and the gameplay suffers from it.
I've found that the 3-second delayed spawns of HH are more insidious. Fast travel, check that the coast is clear, quicksave, three green geckos teleport in...

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

Cicadalek posted:

Jury Rigging: Probably the best perk in the game. Not only does it make it possible to repair your sweet armour and weapons without paying fucktons of caps to merchants, it can actually make you a lot of money with weapon repair kits. Pick up a lovely broken minigun, use a couple of repairkits (worth maybe 50 caps apiece) and suddenly you have a full health minigun which is worth hundreds of caps.
Can not be emphasized enough. Jury Rigging is also a great way to make quick cash in the late game. Keep every Thermic Lance, Super-Sledge, Brush Gun, and Anti-Materiel Rifle you find. Head to Goodsprings and Primm. Buy/loot pool cues, baseball bats, single shotguns, and varmint rifles. Repair and sell your mint condition top tier weapons for a profit of ~5000 caps each.

Another newbie tip is to remember the Holy 5 Pieces of Junk: Scrap Metal, Scrap Electronics, Wonderglue, Duct Tape, Wrench. These will give you Weapon Repair Kits when your Repair is high enough. Especially wrenches. The first three are everywhere. Duct tape seems to become more common in DLC areas (and OWB makes the first four even more accessible thanks to Muggy and the Book Chute). But by the end game, wrenches are always my limiting reagent.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

Tewratomeh posted:

To supplement this, if you happen to have Dead Money be sure to find the Weapon Repair Kit code and Return Cigarette Packs/Cartons codes for the vending machines, then scavenge any and all cigarette packs and cartons you find. You can get a ton of Weapon Repair Kits that way, since apparently everybody in Pre-War times smoked like a chimney.
I totally forgot you could do this, too. I really like that the DLC eventually made almost every junk item indirectly useful. I never thought I'd find myself hoarding clipboards.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
I kinda regret taking Meltdown. It looks cool but it makes energy weapons much more situational and it's really more trouble than it's worth.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If whatever you're fighting is getting that close to you, you're doing something wrong.
I shouldn't use the Gatling Laser to mow down rapidly approaching enemies, you say? Then i propose that it is in fact you who are the something wrong-doer!

I guess Meltdown's useful for the times I think Lily needs a time-out.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

Mordaedil posted:

Considering it's the post-apocalyptic future, I don't one can really apply modern standards to how things are done, with regards to slavery, sexism and rape camps. It literally is every man for himself and legion.
Guys, let's not judge the rapists so harshly. There's been a war.

As said many times before, if they left out the rapey misogynistic side of the Legion, the game would have a lot more grey area and would make the endgame decision a bit more complex. If their mentality was "The wasteland is a harsh place, so every man, woman, and child, needs to be a warrior" then you'd have a pretty compelling argument to side with them. As it is the only reason to side with the Legion is to be a completionist or because you're goony as hell.

Besides, using the physically weaker sex as pack mules is just bad planning.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
Can we put something in the OP about "where should the next Fallout be" discussions? The last thread had identical arguments every five pages.

"It should totally be in [city]! Imagine [iconic city landmark] infested with raiders! And then you'd have to fight [distinct population group associated with city] as GHOULS!"

Then maybe say that what sets the Fallout franchise apart from other post-apocalyptic games is the pre-war American iconography evoking the hubris unique to boomtown mid-century America, which creates a distinctively ironic backdrop for the desolate misery of the wasteland it helped bring about. You could theoretically change that cultural backdrop to something more location-specific, but then you'd just have Hellgate:London or STALKER. It's like saying the next season of Mad Men should take place in the 1980s, or that the next James Bond should be a German agent working for the BND.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
Fallout had brahmin that said "Moo, I say", a crashed flying saucer complete with Velvet Elvis painting, and a drat TARDIS. Fallout was never really super serious guys.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
"Oh that plant is banana yucca and that one over there is agave. :smug:" - me during my IRL Mojave Desert road trip last month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
The Capital Wasteland was designed well in that there were lots of landmarks far away but visible from wherever you were. And when you went to visit one, you'd run into a bunch of other locations along the way. Plus DC had a better mix of ruined city and rural wasteland. I really liked the way the city locations were designed, like those massive statues that were on most buildings.

FNV is a better game, but if its mechanics could be transferred to FO3, I'd replay FO3 without question - lame-rear end main story and all.