Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Anou posted:

So, in Fallout 2, you could beeline to San Francisco and Navarro straight from the Arroyo and grab the Power Armor and the high powered weapons. I was thinking of the New Vegas equivalent to that kind of blatant powergaming.

Since you can enter and exit the Lonesome Road whenever you feel like it you can simply go there straight from Goodsprings and pick up the Arc Welder, Nailgun, and Bowie Knife, which makes any early-to-mid-game combat challenge back in the Mojave a breeze.

You can even kill all of the Marked Men with strategic use of the plasma mine/grenade stash just outside the Hopeville bunker, or simply by letting them engage EDE (this actually felt pretty cheesy). With proper planning and the Red Glare I wouldn't be surprised if you could go all the way and complete LR. There's certainly no shortage of ammo and consumables in The Divide, which is something I found mildly affronting on my first trip since I packed for it like there was no tomorrow (because in New Vegas, hey, you never know...)

edit : spoiler added!

Kalko fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

All you bros who've used shotguns in the game: which do you consider best? Riot Shotgun? I've been a 45-70 and 308 man for too long...

Also rope kid why no top tier GRA shotguns????

Yeah I was hoping for a unique lever-action shotgun, or at least maybe some higher tier 20ga options, but I suppose shotguns were fairly well represented already compared to some of the other gaps the GRA filled.

At least they have great perk support. Maybe too great - And Stay Back basically means you win every fight unless there's 4+ mobs on you at once.

edit : also, regarding the best shotgun, I didn't think much of Dinner Bell at first but it really grew on me. It's a sniper's shotgun. Hard to beat the raw power of the Riot Shotgun though!

Kalko fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 30, 2011

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The first time I played Dead Money I noticed something that I want to call a level design trend where goodies were hidden out of line of sight of the player eg. first aid kits around corners or behind doors. You really didn't see a lot of that in the main game for whatever reason (evolution of design, or just economically easier to polish a discrete DLC environment?)

Anyway, LR has a lot of this. The small section between the Canyon Wreckage entrance and the Hopeville base front door actually has three duffel bags, a suitcase, and a crate tucked away (possibly more!) all of which I completely failed to find on my first run through.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Latest thing to make me laugh out loud in this game (from a wiki comment about acquiring uniques) : when Little Buster is punching the target in the Camp McCarran yard, shoot the yellow truck.

Make sure you stand well back!

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I've played through HH a few times and I still sometimes stop and listen to Joshua Graham speak instead of clicking through. Great writing and a superb voice actor makes for a compelling character.

On the other hand, I don't know if it's got something to do with my audio settings but I actually find it pretty uncomfortable listening to Ulysses and I found myself speed reading and skipping his lines even on the first playthrough. It's so... grating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Gameplay related: are some things just not possible to steal? I wanted Big Boomer from Old Lady Gibson, and so I snuck into her shack while she was asleep and no dogs were around her, and while I could successfully steal the ammo to make her unequip it, it seemed impossible to take the gun itself. I only had a Sneak of like 32 so I thought that might be it, but even with a stealth boy and savescumming like twenty times, it didn't happen.[/spoiler].

Everyone in the Mojave is a really, really light sleeper. So light in fact that I swear they have higher perception than when they're awake. As you noticed, it's a lot more difficult to pickpocket sleeping NPCs, but it can be done. I've done it a few times when she's sleeping but it's a lot easier to get when she's at the dinner table or sitting down outside (you can push the dogs around to change their line of sight on you, if necessary).

I haven't bothered with Big Boomer in my last few games but I always plan on trading a Stealth Boy for a Ranger Sequoia (Chief Hanlon is very easy to pickpocket). The unique Cowboy Repeater from the old ranger at McCarran is an extremely powerful weapon but he's the most difficult NPC to pickpocket in my experience, even when he's alone.

I wish pickpocketing had its own sub-game like hacking and lockpicking so that you could try again without having to reload. I guess the end result is the same though whether the mechanism is in-game or not (the player always 'wins').