Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Michaellaneous posted:

Well there is that suit hanging in the garage in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

The Brotherhood didn't invent or have any kind of monopoly on powered armor. There's no BoS logo on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Michaellaneous posted:

Well yes I realize that.
Didn't the BoS deicided to kinda get really small and just hide from the world? Maybe it will be same as in NV.

Well, the NCR kicked their asses and they went into hiding. That was part of the plot for Van Buren that came back in NV. The eastern Brotherhood was a splinter group that doesn't make a whole lot of sense or have any connection to the originals in the west. And then there were the outcasts who acted like the actual Brotherhood.

3 had a couple references to the midwest splinter from Tactics but those were probably just easter eggs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Harlock posted:

Going to mod in a Yankees hat

So everyone shoots you on sight?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, they did a much better job with that in 4. Plenty to nitpick but a huge improvement over 3.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I think 3 is the worst Fallout game, but it's still okay. There aren't any truly bad ones (the console BoS game didn't exist don't talk to me about it).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

:captainpop:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

i think this is likely the influence of mad max (Which isnt really a touchstone so much in fallout anymore, 3s probably the last one) on the interplay games

but it only kind of works in mad max that within like ten years everyone forgets what a plane is and starts wearing tires and rags and finding new weird religious beliefs, but mad max is almost purely aesthetic. the world building isnt even a consideration or something that needs to make sense besides supporting the themes of each of the movies

i dont think it really works as well in fallout though where things are at least an attempt to be more grounded, and your tribe in 2 is probably one of the really more embarrassing parts of the series (to be fair 2 has most of the cringey parts of the series in a lot of ways)

There's some book that the tribal concept is based on, this post is useless since I can't find it but it's a hypothesis from out of Fallout, about how groups of people would adapt after the collapse of civilization.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Canticle for liebowitz?

No, it's nonfiction.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I wonder if there is anyone who did not have to reload after shooting Follows-Chalk right in the face. Having a vital character shoot at you during the initial ambush was not the best move there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dev time for all the planned Legion content.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Garrand posted:

Does Follows-Chalk actually shoot? I was basically doing the same thing by picking off the White Legs but then one more guy appears in the distance so I just shot him too. I don't actually remember him shooting at me, he just appeared at the wrong place and time.

Not sure if he shoots or someone next to him does, but either way, there's a gunshot from that direction and I blow his head off every time, then have to reload.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Shoulda renamed October August.

Also it's worth noting that while decimation was a thing, it was always extremely rare because it's a horrifying atrocity.

It reduced in frequency as time went on, too. When Crassus did it it was a huge controversy. By the 600s it was explicitly banned, at least if the Strategikon was reflecting policy and not just Maurice's opinion.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

And people loving despised Luigi for doing it.

It's a me, Decemario!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

The Mojave and most of Nevada are extremely sparse and barren even in the best conditions. If anything the game is too optimistic about how many people could farm there. Las Vegas’s existence is more a testament to hubris than it is a natural population center.

It is, but Hoover Dam/Lake Mead would legit be valuable if intact so I bought the premise.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Welcome to the world of your computer being too good to run New Vegas.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Did they call them chems in fallout 1/2? I could have sworn they were just drugs and they renamed them to chems with 3 so they could sell the game in Australia or something though “chem” does also sound more scifi

They were always chems. The Australia thing was Fallout 3 had to change morphine to med-x.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I would be very stoked about Obsidian getting to do another west coast game. Not going to hold my breath but also it doesn't seem that surprising that people would be discussing it. Planning to make it is a whole other thing but I would expect people at Microsoft are going through all the games/IPs they own now and having discussions about what to do with it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah if they made another game I would not expect it to actually be in New Vegas but just part four of the west coast Fallout story.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The NCR push into Baja is an obvious option, though that might risk replaying too many of the Vegas themes. Could continue going up north, Fallout 2 only got a bit into Oregon. Arizona after Caesar dies and the Legion collapses could be interesting too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Davy Crockett's biggest problem was range. If it were fired at the low end of its range, the crew would be within the radius for the fatal radiation dose. Also the inaccuracy of it meant you could accidentally end up inside that range even if firing at a safe distance. Whoops!

Of course, it was designed to be lobbed at oncoming Soviet troops in a WW3 scenario, so the crew probably wouldn't be around long enough to find out about their radiation poisoning anyway.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 13, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There was previous talk about this being the first time Los Angeles would appear in Fallout, which hopefully was just an uninformed article writer.

Mostly I'm just disappointed the Brotherhood is in it. I used to love them but after Bethesda I do not want to see them anymore. That well is dry. Do something new, please.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 29, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I didn't say I was surprised they're in it, I said I'm disappointed they're doing that yet again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah this is taking place inside NCR territory so I'm curious what they're doing with that. We've seen a NCR flag and I think there was a building with a NCR sign on it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I've tried to play Alpha Protocol so many times and I can never get through the first level, I don't know why.

The Saudi part of the game sucks rear end. It's worth pushing through.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Johnny Fiveaces is on one too. Zybourne Clock is about to hit critical mass.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

At least it looks good. Wish it were closer to the original game's style than the Bethesda visuals but I knew that wasn't going to happen. And prominent Walton Goggins means it should at least be watchable.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I think that's just an easter egg. If they stuck to the source material (admittedly, big if) Shady Sands is nowhere near a major city that would form that kind of backdrop. It's far from LA, which seems to be where most/all the show is taking place.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Fallout 1 map also doesn't entirely make sense with the later games, admittedly. Like Necropolis is supposed to be Bakersfield but it's in the completely wrong spot. Shady Sands should be just a bit into Nevada, northwest of Pahrump. Vault 15 is almost directly north of Vegas, which is on the map but not as a real location.

Vault 13 is Mt Whitney. Vegas is that unmarked urban area on the east edge. Raiders should be Pahrump-ish. Shady Sands would be somewhere a bit west of Armagosa Valley, which is just completely empty desert.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

IIRC if you go to Vegas (or the other unmarked cities) you also get urban random maps instead of the usual.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Eh. Lot of people came in at 3 and then played the originals. My first Fallout was Tactics, then I found 1 and 2 at some mall used game store and understood why people bitched about Tactics (though they are mostly wrong and Tactics owns).

3 is the worst Fallout game I have played but it's not bad. It's just kinda lame.

2 > New Vegas > 1 > Tactics > 4 > 3 if anyone cares, which you shouldn't. I also don't have a strong opinion on the top half of the list, could talk me into reshuffling those three.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 7, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My main memory of it is every enemy taking 500 bullets to kill.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Far Harbor was pretty good.

Bethesda only seems to be willing to take a chance and do anything interesting post-Morrowind with their DLC. The main games are bland but usually get one piece of DLC that show the company isn't completely devoid of ideas and talent, they're just choosing not to use it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I did it once and that was enough. Story's good but miserable to play through.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I accidentally shoot that dickhole every single time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tactics has that bug, I wasn't sure if Fallout 2 does. It decides when to drop a random encounter based on I believe framerate, so on a modern computer that's running the game at like 600 FPS you just get endlessly hit with them. Need a fan patch to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

drat, looking around for info on Fallout 2 patches/mods and No Mutants Allowed is still not just alive but pretty active. Always fun to run across an old-rear end website that's still going strong. Even if it is NMA.