Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
The thing that weirded me out the most about the undercover cop story was how the tone of the piece was pretty upbeat sounding for the most part. I thought it was going to have a wacky ending that I was trying to predict the whole time but nope, turns out they just hosed up the kid's life is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I bought the android app and for some reason there's a huge chunk of shows missing between 2010-2012 :( Anyone know why this might be the case? I've been marathoning TAL like mad since I discovered it.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Holy Calamity! posted:

I bought the android app and for some reason there's a huge chunk of shows missing between 2010-2012 :( Anyone know why this might be the case? I've been marathoning TAL like mad since I discovered it.
The Android app is terrible. A bunch of them are missing, there's still the ads at the beginning and worst: you should download each episode before listening because the built-in player cuts out at 40 minutes and doesn't stop when you remove the headphones.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.
The worst part about the undercover cop story is that the kid didn't even want to buy the drugs. The undercover cop seduced him and strongly pressured him to do it. Fuuuuuck.

Today's episode (Held Hostage) was a terrible way to start the day. Usually the shows will have a downer story followed by a lighthearted story. Today's act order was instead depressing, depressing and horrifying, depressing. What a morning.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

Shane-O-Mac posted:

The worst part about the undercover cop story is that the kid didn't even want to buy the drugs. The undercover cop seduced him and strongly pressured him to do it. Fuuuuuck.

Meh. I don't completely buy his story - I seriously doubt he is as innocent as he claims to be. In any case, he doesn't seem AT ALL like a "bad kid" and worth the effort; seems like a nice guy, really, maybe just a little dopey. But great job police at wasting a ton of time and money to totally cock up his life.

The story in "Play the Part" (the one about the woman who diagnosed her husband with Aspergers) is the one of the gooniest stories I've ever heard on this show. I wanted to scream to them, "Maybe your husband is fine and is just an inconsiderate rear end in a top hat." They even 'diagnosed' him using an online survey (I know they saw a doctor afterwards, but uggg...)

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
It was an actual survey designed by psychologists to detect Asperger's syndrome. She explained that in the story. Most bullshit online surveys don't have 150 questions specifically related to the diagnosis of a recognized mental disorder, such as "Do you fantasize about making traps?"

He really, really obviously had some sort of personality disorder. Turns out Asperger's is a real thing that people have, not just idiots on the internet

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Blackula69 posted:

It was an actual survey designed by psychologists to detect Asperger's syndrome. She explained that in the story. Most bullshit online surveys don't have 150 questions specifically related to the diagnosis of a recognized mental disorder, such as "Do you fantasize about making traps?"

He really, really obviously had some sort of personality disorder. Turns out Asperger's is a real thing that people have, not just idiots on the internet

"Most" questionnaires on the internet are the ACTUAL medical diagnosis of Asperger's. You think they swing a watch in front of your face or the like? It's just a static questionnaire. Same with medical depression and manic depressive syndrome.

"But those are far too different!"

The diagnosis is literally yes/no or strongly agree/ don't agree/I'm a pineapple/strongly disagree. If you fill out the score and send it in, you get a legal diagnosis.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Mogambo posted:

Meh. I don't completely buy his story - I seriously doubt he is as innocent as he claims to be. In any case, he doesn't seem AT ALL like a "bad kid" and worth the effort; seems like a nice guy, really, maybe just a little dopey. But great job police at wasting a ton of time and money to totally cock up his life.

Yeah, it was a waste of resources and all, but we only heard one side of the story. I think most of the guy's story was likely bullshit.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Solkanar512 posted:

The second episode in that series, "Another Frightening Show About The Economy" did just that. There are like half a dozen with Planet Money, including a ride along with the FDIC when they close down a bank. That was pretty loving incredible.

Link?

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Liberty Valance posted:

Yeah, it was a waste of resources and all, but we only heard one side of the story. I think most of the guy's story was likely bullshit.

That's how I felt about it, as well.
And the Hostages episode was great, that last story was interesting how someone can do so much poo poo and gently caress up so many people's lives and there's nothing anyone can do about it to prevent him from doing it again.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Econosaurus posted:

Link?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/135573355/this-american-life

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Liberty Valance posted:

I think it wasn't. but that's not the point, the point is that it's a MASSIVE waste of time and money and police officers should never be undercover in a high school unless it's a hilarious buddy-cop movie based on a television show

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
This week's TAL was pretty :psyduck:

The guy who paid $300+ dollars for a single streetlight and then thanked the mayor was the worst of all. He doesn't even know what financial conservatism is.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski
Pretty depressing week to be honest. I agree that the guy who was happy/excited to pay $300 for his light (as opposed to the $200 out of his taxes that it would take to do all of the lights) is a disgusting level of self-centeredness and greed.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

a lovely poster posted:

Pretty depressing week to be honest. I agree that the guy who was happy/excited to pay $300 for his light (as opposed to the $200 out of his taxes that it would take to do all of the lights) is a disgusting level of self-centeredness and greed.

It's not even self-centeredness or greed! It's a bizarre conspicuous taxation that only affects a few individuals that end up paying more than they otherwise would have. It's the exact opposite of the conservative "Everyone should contribute, and slackers aren't carrying their fair share". A hand full of these people are paying the benefits for everybody... by paying more! And they're proud of it!

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Well when the entire backbone of your political party has been nothing but, "Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad"

this is the kind of poo poo you get.

Next time you have a chance watch Karl Rove of Fox News talking about the current republican party, he's terrified of what the seeds he helped sow grew into. Grover Norquist is so mentally deluded he has no place in the uppers levels of American politics, yet, here we are.

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008
Yay, another depressing TAL story.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Speaking of depressing TAL stories: http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/166825/this-american-life-retracts-mike-daisey-story-it-says-was-partially-fabricated/

Thanks Mike Daisey for deceiving TAL's producers and getting all of your shows sold out.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Phone posted:

Speaking of depressing TAL stories: http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/166825/this-american-life-retracts-mike-daisey-story-it-says-was-partially-fabricated/

Thanks Mike Daisey for deceiving TAL's producers and getting all of your shows sold out.

If you actually read through the details, I'm with Mike Daisey on this one.

The problem was taking a piece of theater and presenting it in the context of journalism, which was more the fault of the TAL producers than Daisey. They approached him, not the other way around.

All of the facts under dispute are whether he personally met some of the people he discusses in the monologue, not whether the conditions he described are true.

And given the context of the piece, that he invented personally meeting people affected by things that really happened is fine, given that those people exist and the events that affected them happen, and given that it is presented as a piece of theater.

That This American Life considers itself journalism rather than theater is kind of its own thing to sort out, not Daisey's.

edit: also, it should be noted that he did not need This American Life to sell out shows. He was selling out long before they aired the show. He is one of the most talented and well-respected monologuists working today, he doesn't really need help getting gigs.

maxnmona fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 16, 2012

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Not coming forth with the truth when the producers were asking specific questions is on Mike Daisey. I don't have an issue with storytelling and the embellishments that come with it; however, I do think that he actively deceived TAL when they were putting together the show and were fact checking to their journalistic standards.

I wasn't aware of Mike Daisey before this and I don't doubt that he sold out shows before this on a regular basis. He did have money on the line though because after the story aired, I am positive that the potential customers to his show increased dramatically, and due to the magic of supply & demand, he would be 100% in the clear to charge a premium over what he was previously charging.

Edit: run on sentence due to phonepostin

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's gonna be pretty weird listening to an episode about ANOTHER episode.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Phone posted:

I wasn't aware of Mike Daisey before this and I don't doubt that he sold out shows before this on a regular basis. He did have money on the line though because after the story aired, I am positive that the potential customers to his show increased dramatically, and due to the magic of supply & demand, he would be 100% in the clear to charge a premium over what he was previously charging.

Whether you were personally aware of him or not, he had a thriving career before this. He has been doing monologues for years to sold out crowds in large theaters. While this certainly didn't hurt his career, I doubt he was actively trying to make a huge amount of money through TAL.

And, as far as I know, the price of tickets for the show did not go up at all after he was on the radio.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

maxnmona posted:

If you actually read through the details, I'm with Mike Daisey on this one.

The problem was taking a piece of theater and presenting it in the context of journalism, which was more the fault of the TAL producers than Daisey. They approached him, not the other way around.

All of the facts under dispute are whether he personally met some of the people he discusses in the monologue, not whether the conditions he described are true.

And given the context of the piece, that he invented personally meeting people affected by things that really happened is fine, given that those people exist and the events that affected them happen, and given that it is presented as a piece of theater.

That This American Life considers itself journalism rather than theater is kind of its own thing to sort out, not Daisey's.

edit: also, it should be noted that he did not need This American Life to sell out shows. He was selling out long before they aired the show. He is one of the most talented and well-respected monologuists working today, he doesn't really need help getting gigs.

Uh, Daisy presented the piece as journalism. He knew it would be treated as such on the show. He outright lied to TAL's fact checkers. This has been discussed at length in the GBS thread, but it shouldn't go unchallenged here either.

I don't understand why you defend him so much - he's a loving liar and has done significant damage to those who wish to see better working conditions in China and elsewhere. There's really no defense for this at all.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Uh, Daisy presented the piece as journalism. He knew it would be treated as such on the show. He outright lied to TAL's fact checkers. This has been discussed at length in the GBS thread, but it shouldn't go unchallenged here either.

I don't understand why you defend him so much - he's a loving liar and has done significant damage to those who wish to see better working conditions in China and elsewhere. There's really no defense for this at all.

That part of it wasn't clear until the actual episode came out tonight, and I responded to it in the other thread.

But having heard everything, I agree that Daisey definitely did a lovely thing here.

Also, things like making up the guards holding the guns crosses the line into lies about the facts, which is different from pretending to have met people who you only did research on, which is perfectly fine in the context of theater (although obviously not ok in the context of journalism).

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Where can one find the original Daisey episode? It was one of the episodes I missed to the way my work schedule can get sometimes. I already nabbed the new one, but would love to hear the original so I can chime in and actually have an opinion and all.

butt hort
May 6, 2007
i awake covered in snot dreamt i swallowed my teeth and tried to cough them up

bagmonkey posted:

Where can one find the original Daisey episode? It was one of the episodes I missed to the way my work schedule can get sometimes. I already nabbed the new one, but would love to hear the original so I can chime in and actually have an opinion and all.

They took down the episode due to the complications, but there's still the transcript of the episode if you're down for a long read.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/454/transcript

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
TAL has removed it, but I still have it: http://loudnoises.org/misc/tal454.mp3

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

maxnmona posted:

Wrong, he lied to them. They fact-checked what they could, but they had to take him on his word for some of it - and his word was false.

quote:

You're glossing over a pretty big point here. What he did was fine on the stage - he's using investigative techniques to tell a mostly true story, etc. But when it's presented as journalism, which his work was, it has to be verifiably true. He had no direct knowledge of what he was speaking of, and he created false characters to illustrate points that were based on information he hadn't directly observed.

quote:

It wasn't a piece of theatre. It would be fine in the theatre because the story is what matters. But TAL is journalism, not theatre. They use the techniques of drama to tell true stories, he uses the techniques of journalism to tell fictional stories.

It's on him to make clear to the producers what is and isn't embellished in his piece, and it's clear that he did not do that. We'll hear the whole story tomorrow

e: I guess there's probably a thread for this, but I really don't want to read what GBS has to say about journalism

2e: it's surprisingly not that bad, although I don't get what his weight has to do with anything

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 17, 2012

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Blackula69 posted:

Wrong, he lied to them. They fact-checked what they could, but they had to take him on his word for some of it - and his word was false.

You're glossing over a pretty big point here. What he did was fine on the stage - he's using investigative techniques to tell a mostly true story, etc. But when it's presented as journalism, which his work was, it has to be verifiably true. He had no direct knowledge of what he was speaking of, and he created false characters to illustrate points that were based on information he hadn't directly observed.

It wasn't a piece of theatre. It would be fine in the theatre because the story is what matters. But TAL is journalism, not theatre. They use the techniques of drama to tell true stories, he uses the techniques of journalism to tell fictional stories.

It's on him to make clear to the producers what is and isn't embellished in his piece, and it's clear that he did not do that. We'll hear the whole story tomorrow

e: I guess there's probably a thread for this, but I really don't want to read what GBS has to say about journalism

2e: it's surprisingly not that bad, although I don't get what his weight has to do with anything

That post was made based on the info in the press release only. Once I heard the full story, I changed my mind, as you can see a few posts down.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Good point.

But it was still presented as journalism. gently caress that guy

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wonder how big the ramifications of this could be? This did spawn international protests. If China made a big stink, it really could be a big deal for western journalists.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Blackula69 posted:

Holy poo poo, David Sedaris has actually met a talking chicken married to a talking cat?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

UltraRed posted:

I wonder how big the ramifications of this could be? This did spawn international protests. If China made a big stink, it really could be a big deal for western journalists.

It spawned more in depth investigations that uncovered similar findings. And China already makes a big stink about western journalists. This won't do much.

E: I just listened to the 'Retraction' episode and holy poo poo Daisey comes off so loving bad its hilarious. He actually does sit down with Glass and another gentleman who's name escapes me but they basically ask him using their own facts that they got if he lied and he either admits it or says things like "I wouldn't call it that." He comes off bad.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 18, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Also to be fair, that original TAL episode already spent a fair amount of time finding counterpoints to some of Daisey's claims. Which actually makes it worse because then Daisey kept responding with statements like "I know what I saw."

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I didn't listen to the original episode because it didn't sound that interesting, and listening to the update I'm glad I skipped it. Even putting aside all the "the translator must have wandered away when the 13 year old factory worker told me how old she was, and her friends looked the same age so I said I saw a 12 year old" bullshit, I can't imagine listening to a whole story in Daisey's serious monologist voice. Dude is no Mike Birbiglia.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

The Bunk posted:

I didn't listen to the original episode because it didn't sound that interesting, and listening to the update I'm glad I skipped it. Even putting aside all the "the translator must have wandered away when the 13 year old factory worker told me how old she was, and her friends looked the same age so I said I saw a 12 year old" bullshit, I can't imagine listening to a whole story in Daisey's serious monologist voice. Dude is no Mike Birbiglia.

You may think that based on short excerpts, but I've sat in a theater for the entire monologue, and there's a reason Mike Daisey has been selling out theaters for over a decade. Mike Birbiglia is a stand up comedian whose pretty good at telling a story. Daisey is a storyteller like no one else working today.

He can have an entire large audience laughing one second and then leaning forward intent on every word he's saying the next. His ethics aside, he is a monologist of remarkable and rare talent.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

maxnmona posted:

You may think that based on short excerpts, but I've sat in a theater for the entire monologue, and there's a reason Mike Daisey has been selling out theaters for over a decade. Mike Birbiglia is a stand up comedian whose pretty good at telling a story. Daisey is a storyteller like no one else working today.

He can have an entire large audience laughing one second and then leaning forward intent on every word he's saying the next. His ethics aside, he is a monologist of remarkable and rare talent.

Or you could just let someone not like his style without freaking out yet again to defend him against anything at all against him. I'm not super into his style either, even aside from the whole 'lied and damaged his cause because he's a moneygrubbing piece of poo poo' thing, his voice is a bit 'off' to me, it's a personal thing.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Glitterbomber posted:

Or you could just let someone not like his style without freaking out yet again to defend him against anything at all against him. I'm not super into his style either, even aside from the whole 'lied and damaged his cause because he's a moneygrubbing piece of poo poo' thing, his voice is a bit 'off' to me, it's a personal thing.

I know people like things to be binary because that's easier to grasp, so he must either be all good or completely worthless, but his talent is not subjective, and it's not one that you are in a position to judge unless you've seen him in person, which is how he actually works.

It wasn't just that I liked him, I saw his effect on a huge group of people. There are very few people working today that can do that to an audience, and almost none that can do it as well as he can.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
The Ira Glass interview was amazing. Whenever Ira offers a potential explanation for why he acted as he did, Daisey invariably goes "Yeah, what you said." The couple of times Glass leaves it open ended for him to explain for himself, there are long seconds of dead air followed by half-sentences and mumbling as he waits for Ira to tell him what to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Otter
Jan 24, 2003

maxnmona posted:

I know people like things to be binary because that's easier to grasp, so he must either be all good or completely worthless, but his talent is not subjective, and it's not one that you are in a position to judge unless you've seen him in person, which is how he actually works.

It wasn't just that I liked him, I saw his effect on a huge group of people. There are very few people working today that can do that to an audience, and almost none that can do it as well as he can.

Daisey parachute account spotted

• Locked thread