Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Kangra posted:

I'm not going to go listen to it again, but I thought they said this was either from somewhere else or just produced by someone who has her own show. Which makes the whole show apparently just promoting other people's stuff (except maybe Bribiglia) which I guess is what to do when the topic is self-promotion.

Also, the music for the Martian girl segment was atrocious. This might be one of the worst-produced episodes TAL has ever put out (and even if it's not 'their' producers' fault, they still chose to air it).

I sort of thought that was the point, in an annoying way. I was listening to it while doing work and I thought I had missed what the point of the story was so I just stopped and listened. When she said she was going to Mars or whatever, it was a pretty big shock. Maybe intentional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
The Mars segment was from Love + Radio podcast I am pretty sure. I heard it a few months back when I was trying out a few other TAL style podcasts.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

PaganGoatPants posted:

This Not-So-Simple Majority thing is :stare:
Seriously, holy poo poo.

Also a crazy amount of Godwinning

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

PaganGoatPants posted:

This Not-So-Simple Majority thing is :stare:

WOW was that infuriating.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Yeah that was pretty insane. Those kind of stories is what I really love about TAL. I wish they would do more like them.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yeah that episode was straight up nuts. :stare: It's an inherently uncorrectable solution. The "best" solution would be for people to leave, but moving is next to impossible depending on finances.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
So when I listened to the teaser at the end of last week's podcast release of TAL, I thought "Huh, sounds kind of like where I live. I wonder what's going on in that place."

And then TAL released an episode about where I live. :stare: Like, one of the mentioned schools used to be my election polling place and I live a block away from the other one.

Holy poo poo. I knew the school situation is bad here, but I had no idea just how bad. I'd heard about the hosed-up sale of Hillcrest, but not about a lot of the details. (I don't have kids, so while I support giving the schools more funding, the issue hasn't been personally relevant to me.) I definitely hadn't heard about the Hitler commercial.

The funny (not really) thing is that towns are pressed right against each other here, so in at least part of the area, families could move ten minutes away and be in the next school district over. But even that much can be difficult if you're really cash strapped, and obviously an entire district's worth of families can't do that.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Straight up mafia. TIME FOR AN EXECUTIVE SESSION!

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
SHAME. SHAME.

GOD IS WATCHING YOUUUUUUU.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The one guy actually playing the card for being (probably correctly) accused of caring more about money than the welfare of children was astounding, not to mention those attack ads :hitler:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

mcmagic posted:

WOW was that infuriating.

Yeah. Great episode but so so frustrating.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
After a couple less than stellar episodes a classic TAL episode to get your blood pumping.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

quote:

Not-So-Simple Majority
Should I listen to this? If I can't make a difference, I'd rather not spend the day enraged.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
You can't, so I wouldn't. It's super enraging.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

UltraRed posted:

Should I listen to this? If I can't make a difference, I'd rather not spend the day enraged.

Are you and ten thousand of your closest friends willing to move to East Ramapo to vote in school board elections?

BasicBitch
Feb 2, 2014
This week's episode almost made me anti-semitic. Not really, but drat did it ruin my commute.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The worst part for me was that you knew the antisemitism thing was coming, but they waited until like last quarter of the show to drop it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah that was exactly the kind of TAL episode I love. Made me so angry but it was interesting at least!

SleepyK
May 21, 2008
:argh: Study hall, lunch, lunch, lunch, class, lunch, study hall? 'must be fake.' Wow. :argh: And they rehired that law firm? Seriously? Jesus Christ. This episode was one big :argh:. Those poor kids.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
One thing that the TAL coverage doesn't mention emphasize is that two thirds of the students in the East Ramapo school districts are attending yeshivas that don't have the money for band programs or drama or other extracurriculars either. While that fact might not justify the drastic cuts to classes and staff, it paints the story in a slightly different light. This isn't a super-rich Jewish minority oppressing the poor African-American and Hispanic immigrants attending public school; it's the just as poor Hasidic community paying most of the money for a school system they don't (and for religious reasons, can't) use.

got some chores tonight fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 17, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

dongsbot 9000 posted:

One thing that the TAL coverage doesn't mention is that two thirds of the students in the East Ramapo school districts are attending yeshivas. While it does not justify the drastic cuts to classes and staff, it paints the story in a slightly different light.

It does actually say that the majority of school age kids in the area are Hassid's

SleepyK posted:

:argh: Study hall, lunch, lunch, lunch, class, lunch, study hall? 'must be fake.' Wow. :argh: And they rehired that law firm? Seriously? Jesus Christ. This episode was one big :argh:. Those poor kids.

To be fair they didn't rehire the firm, they just never actually fired them after saying they would.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

dongsbot 9000 posted:

One thing that the TAL coverage doesn't mention is that two thirds of the students in the East Ramapo school districts are attending yeshivas. While that fact might not justify the drastic cuts to classes and staff, it paints the story in a slightly different light. This isn't a super-rich Jewish minority oppressing the poor African-American and Hispanic immigrants attending public school; it's the just as poor Hasidic community paying most of the money for a school system they don't (and can't, for religious reasons) use.
Two-thirds are yeshivas attending public schools or not using the public schools at all? The latter was the impression I got, but it would have been nice if they included an actual number in the TAL story. That data point is something that makes me think the problem here is more about the completely broken funding/taxation system than about the Jewish community being unethical. I think if you throw almost any two independent groups in a similar situation, there's going to be a ton of friction.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

The latter. I suppose they aren't in the school district if they are attending private institutions, but they live in the area such that they would be East Ramapo students, and more importantly for this case, their parents are paying East Ramapo taxes. I would edit my post, but I think I've done enough of that already. :blush:

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Yeah I found myself kind of conflicted about the taxation part. I'm a pretty big proponent of public schools and I kind roll my eyes at the "if I'M not using it then why should I pay for it" thing, but when the spread is that big I can sympathize with them a bit.

That being said taking over the system and completely loving it over is still a poo poo thing to do, and tossing out accusations of anti-Semitism when it's convenient because someone has a legitimate issue with what you're doing is always infuriating.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
They moved into an area where they knew they would be paying taxes for a school system they weren't intending to use so they can gently caress off with their complaints.

Also any idea that the school board were acting honestly can be thrown out the window with the bit where they defrauded the school district by getting false property valuations to sell off schools to their friends for cheap.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

I think it's important to realise that we probably aren't being presented with the complete story. While it might be fair to say that the Orthodox community whose students don't attend the school might not have the exact same goals as the community whose students do attend the public school, it is unconstitutional to say that the tax-paying Orthodox resident can't run for office because he doesn't have students enrolled at that school (taxation without representation, natch). Furthermore, I would be highly surprised if there have never been anti-Semitic comments regarding this situation. TAL showed the ugly of the Orthodox community (lawyer calling a woman a oval office) but it doesn't spend as much time on the ugly of the public school community. While the high schooler says she shuts down any anti-Semitic comments at her rallies, if students are asking teachers about "Why are the Jews doing this to us" or looking for "Jews to shoot", they're probably receiving a bad message in their home, and quite possibly, these comments are uttered directly to the board members by public school parents. We wouldn't know since none of the board members really wanted to discuss the situation (I don't blame them.)

I think the Hasidic vs Public-School story is hiding the real story of a disconnect between the state government and the local city whose demographics have significantly changed to the extent that the old system doesn't work anymore. When you think about it like that, I think it clarifies why the school board would keep around the more expensive firm, because that is the firm that is comfortable with these matters since they've worked in these situations before. I must confess, that decision confused me as first, but I am beginning to see the whys behind it.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Gough Suppressant posted:

They moved into an area where they knew they would be paying taxes for a school system they weren't intending to use so they can gently caress off with their complaints.

Also any idea that the school board were acting honestly can be thrown out the window with the bit where they defrauded the school district by getting false property valuations to sell off schools to their friends for cheap.

youre right why didnt these jews just move back to israel if they didn't want to pay taxes which steadily increased every year. gently caress them for deciding to exercise their democratic rights to impact local government

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
So it's pretty much as he said at the start of the podcast. Don't drive? still gotta pay road maintenance. Go to private school? Still gotta support the public option. Everything else after that is typical council politics with a heavy unethical slant.

dongsbot 9000 posted:

youre right why didnt these jews just move back to israel if they didn't want to pay taxes which steadily increased every year. gently caress them for deciding to exercise their democratic rights to impact local government

You're stupid and this is a stupid post.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
The Hasidim definitely had some legitimate beefs with the way things were run before, and Rockland County as a whole has its own funding issues. I'm not a fan of the way schools in this country are run either—it's just so inconsistent. That said I think the school board is unquestionably doing net harm. Property taxes are high in this entire region of the country, not just here, and plenty of people don't have kids to benefit from the funding. The Hasidim are hardly the ones whose taxes go toward something they won't use.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Zigmidge posted:

Don't drive? still gotta pay road maintenance.

Not entirely. Road infrastructure often comes from gas taxes. Smart government pays attention to whose taxes are going to whose services.

Not defending all of the crazy actions of the school board. But I don't think you can blame them for trying to point the money back into their own community. That's what everyone does.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

dongsbot 9000 posted:

I think it's important to realise that we probably aren't being presented with the complete story. While it might be fair to say that the Orthodox community whose students don't attend the school might not have the exact same goals as the community whose students do attend the public school, it is unconstitutional to say that the tax-paying Orthodox resident can't run for office because he doesn't have students enrolled at that school (taxation without representation, natch). Furthermore, I would be highly surprised if there have never been anti-Semitic comments regarding this situation. TAL showed the ugly of the Orthodox community (lawyer calling a woman a oval office) but it doesn't spend as much time on the ugly of the public school community. While the high schooler says she shuts down any anti-Semitic comments at her rallies, if students are asking teachers about "Why are the Jews doing this to us" or looking for "Jews to shoot", they're probably receiving a bad message in their home, and quite possibly, these comments are uttered directly to the board members by public school parents. We wouldn't know since none of the board members really wanted to discuss the situation (I don't blame them.)

I think the Hasidic vs Public-School story is hiding the real story of a disconnect between the state government and the local city whose demographics have significantly changed to the extent that the old system doesn't work anymore. When you think about it like that, I think it clarifies why the school board would keep around the more expensive firm, because that is the firm that is comfortable with these matters since they've worked in these situations before. I must confess, that decision confused me as first, but I am beginning to see the whys behind it.

One reason we weren't presented with the complete story is that the Orthodox community did not participate in the story. And if the author is telling the truth, they had numerous changes to articulate their own views and standings but choose not to.

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Settle down there buddy.

Taking the articles I read about the subject and this episode of TAL completely at face value this much is clear. The Orthodox community is not being 100 percent forthcoming with their budgets, not operating in a transparent manner (the school board meetings where they simply adjourn for a private meeting leaving those in attendance to twiddle their thumbs), and are simply being dishonest in many regards when it comes to treating the community they (the school board) represent.

What is also clear from the episode is their a tragic and seemingly unfixable divide that obscures a greater truth and problem. I ultimately find the Orthodox community's stance disingenuous and quite self serving.

What I find most damning is the viewpoint from either side of "If you don't like it, move" attitude. Pardon the platitudes about democracy in America and being a republic but seen at the local level as we did in this episode, this is one of the most important aspects of how this country operates. Government is not the enemy in this case. The Orthodox community has done nothing illegal by being voted and controlling the school board. But by participating in this base system, they are buying into a larger system of societal responsibility that comes with such benefits. They are destroying the community slowly but surely if they think what they are doing is sustainable. To quote Robert Kennedy,

"For there is another kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions; indifference and inaction and slow decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. This is a slow destruction of a child by hunger, and schools without books and homes without heat in the winter. This is the breaking of a man's spirit by denying him the chance to stand as a father and as a man among other men. And this too afflicts us all. I have not come here to propose a set of specific remedies nor is there a single set. For a broad and adequate outline we know what must be done. When you teach a man to hate and fear his brother, when you teach that he is a lesser man because of his color or his beliefs or the policies he pursues, when you teach that those who differ from you threaten your freedom or your job or your family, then you also learn to confront others not as fellow citizens but as enemies - to be met not with cooperation but with conquest, to be subjugated and mastered. We learn, at the last, to look at our brothers as aliens, men with whom we share a city, but not a community, men bound to us in common dwelling, but not in common effort. We learn to share only a common fear - only a common desire to retreat from each other - only a common impulse to meet disagreement with force. For all this there are no final answers."

This is an American tragedy unfolding in a small community in New York. Disagreement has taken on Shakespearean heights but whatever happens will be a tiny blip on the radar of America and for that I am truly sad.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

dongsbot 9000 posted:

No, gently caress them to using their democratic rights to subvert and destroy the public good.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I know we are all powerless to really do anything to fix the situation but something has to be happening with so many enraged eyes on the situation, right?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Zigmidge posted:

So it's pretty much as he said at the start of the podcast. Don't drive? still gotta pay road maintenance. Go to private school? Still gotta support the public option. Everything else after that is typical council politics with a heavy unethical slant.

Well, no. That's the non-problematic part. If they had stopped paying their taxes the situation wouldn't be ambiguous. But they are, they are paying for public schools with their taxes. They're just using their democratic powers to make these taxes as low as possible. And that's a problem that arises everytime a majority rules over the fate of a minority. If this school board situation shouldn't be allowed to happen, why should, for example, the general public be allowed to decide on things like welfare?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

cebrail posted:

Well, no. That's the non-problematic part. If they had stopped paying their taxes the situation wouldn't be ambiguous. But they are, they are paying for public schools with their taxes. They're just using their democratic powers to make these taxes as low as possible. And that's a problem that arises everytime a majority rules over the fate of a minority. If this school board situation shouldn't be allowed to happen, why should, for example, the general public be allowed to decide on things like welfare?

There was the whole "lets use state money for religious schools with respect to special needs students" thing. I have no idea why that poo poo is even tolerated to begin with.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Man, these people really like Chad.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

cebrail posted:

Yeah, exactly. It was a good story, but the intro bugged me when Ira presented it as "like no school board story you've ever heard."

I think there are a lot of black families that would think it sounded very familiar. A lot of other groups too.

The biggest difference here is that the group getting squeezed were white.

Again, not defending any of the actions of the groups in the story, but our system encourages exactly this, and it's been going on for a long long time.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
After two weeks of depressing and/or infuriating stories it's good to see that the upcoming story will also be depressing and/or infuriating.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

wafflesnsegways posted:

Yeah, exactly. It was a good story, but the intro bugged me when Ira presented it as "like no school board story you've ever heard."

I think there are a lot of black families that would think it sounded very familiar. A lot of other groups too.

Again, not defending any of the actions of the groups in the story, but our system encourages exactly this, and it's been going on for a long long time.

Yes, I didn't like the onesidedness either. Obviously it's easy to judge it on an emotional level, but aside from the thing with special needs students and yeshivas which sounded like semilegal lawyer crap, but issue isn't really the behavior of the hasidic community, there's nothing inherently wrong with voting against taxes you don't like.
It simply shouldn't be possible for a school district to gently caress up its schools for personal profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

wafflesnsegways posted:

I struggled a bit with this one, but I think you're basically right. This sort of thing--where the fates of people in a school district are controlled by an "other"--has repeatedly happened to economic and racial minorities, to the point where, like you, I really wonder if it's not just the same old story, but with a somewhat different cast of players.

However, this article states that the people most affected by this issue at this point are probably minorities:

quote:

The simple act of arriving in America from a stressed place puts you in a vivid, complicated relationship with privilege. There are the lottery-ticket odds of landing here but also, often, the vivid comedown from elite status in the old country to a fringe position in the new one. This part of Rockland County has been declining for years, and the middle-class community that once inhabited it has been largely replaced by the Orthodox and by immigrants. There are now only a handful of white students in the public schools, and more than half the children there receive reduced-fee lunches. “A lot of them are from immigrant families, and they’re looking for that better life,” says Fields. “And I don’t know if it’s going to happen.” Many of the refugees are lingering on five- and six-year paths to graduation.
(http://nymag.com/news/features/east-ramapo-hasidim-2013-4/index1.html)
Which indicates that "white flight" has occurred, at least for the public school system--and for those who can afford to put their kids on another bus, or in a private school.

• Locked thread