Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Also, you can only produce so many shows a year. I don't keep track of how many reruns there are, but TV shows only make about 12-24 episodes a year. I ain't gonna get too mad if radio shows recycle at or near the same rate, but it'd be even better if they got out of the way and something else were aired.

Also, Fresh Air can recycle shows every time a celeb dies, or an author, who was interviewed when their book was hardbound, now has the same book out on paperback. Then David Cooly can overpraise a mediocre TV show, and that's a wrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
To actually answer your question, I don't think it has been TOO much worse. I think the only things that stand out were the eps that were form other podcasts that TAL was associated with, since there were three of them that launched so close together it felt like a bit much, but they were using their big audience to advertise their own stuff, so it was understandable.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

bad day posted:

For example there's an AMAZING recent episode of Reply All called Why Is Mason Reese Crying - I'll bet you a dollar it winds up as part of a TAL episode sometime in the next 12 months.

And that Mason Reese episode was originally a "Wiretap" episode. :v:

Johnathan's Wiretap stuff shows up on TAL all the time though, so yeah you're right that "Why is Mason Reese crying" will pop up on TAL eventually.

RE: this week's TAL. The vegan kid was insufferable. I really want an update if he's become normal. :smith:

I did like the "hold music" story. The dad reminded me of my dad. :3:

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

bad day posted:

I've been listening to This American Life for 10+ years - I have probably listened to every single episode except for that one nobody has. I don't remember such a large proportion of content being taken from other radio shows and podcasts. I definitely remember some episodes that were Planet Money compilations, or featured Radiolab stories, or a short segment from The Moth, but I don't remember them being such a large proportion of TAL's output.

If you mean the Mike Daisey one that was later retracted, here it is on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUnD_LZPvis

TAL was taking stuff from The Moth well before it had its own podcast. Same with Ted Talks. And Mike Birbiglia comedy specials. So many Mike Birbiglia comedy specials.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Snuffman posted:

And that Mason Reese episode was originally a "Wiretap" episode. :v:

Wiretip has been running a lot of reruns lately too, but it's pretty drat great most of the time.

Manchild Howard segments are too long, but everytime Johnathan calls up his parents, it's awesome. Buzz Goldstein :allears:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Antifreeze Head posted:

This story really highlights the crappiness of the repeats; lack of an update. Is that seven year old still insufferable? Are the parents still quick to kowtow to the demands of a grade schooler as it relates to family meals? Is the young child still skulking around with his dad to enjoy being an omnivore? Or did he pick up on the fact that his parents can't say no and now gets twinkies and chocolate milk for every meal?

I'm ok with it when they update something like they did with Attack of the Patents.

Christ, would it have been so difficult to make a phone call?.

That and Ira's poisoning of the well. "Guys, like everybody judges parents just to be judgy so don't judge and be sure take this undisciplined poo poo very seriously". Rather insulting to the audience as I think of it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Solkanar512 posted:

But that seven year old was so earnest! How could you not empty out your freezer after hearing his passionate call to save the endangered pandas?

I liked the kid from the Bad Seed episode more.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Antifreeze Head posted:

If you mean the Mike Daisey one that was later retracted

No, there's a very early episode that isn't in the TAL archives and you can't find it in any of the user-created archives on file-sharing services or YouTube because apparently nobody kept a recording of it.

Also, does anybody have the URL that takes you directly to the TAL mp3 files? A few years ago someone sent me a link where you can just add the episode number to the end of the url and listen to/download that specific episode instead of streaming it through their site. I live in China and the TAL portal doesn't work that well here, but the episodes themselves are not blocked by the firewall because they are hosted on a different server.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

bad day posted:

No, there's a very early episode that isn't in the TAL archives and you can't find it in any of the user-created archives on file-sharing services or YouTube because apparently nobody kept a recording of it.

Also, does anybody have the URL that takes you directly to the TAL mp3 files? A few years ago someone sent me a link where you can just add the episode number to the end of the url and listen to/download that specific episode instead of streaming it through their site. I live in China and the TAL portal doesn't work that well here, but the episodes themselves are not blocked by the firewall because they are hosted on a different server.

http://paranoia.dubfire.net/2007/01/new-location-for-this-american-life.html

Same one, I don't think they've changed it in forever.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

bad day posted:

That most sounds like episode five. Someone did find a cassette tape with a copy of that show which misses some of the extro acknowledgements but is otherwise complete.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I wish they'd at least tell us when an episode is a rehash or taken directly from another podcast. Several times I've been listening and then realised ten minutes in I'd heard it before.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Lady Gaza posted:

I wish they'd at least tell us when an episode is a rehash or taken directly from another podcast. Several times I've been listening and then realised ten minutes in I'd heard it before.
They label a lot of the rehashes something like "Some Old Story (2015)" but then there's never any indication of which parts have been modified.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Another repeat, but the boat story is one of my favorites.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Some interesting stuff on Ira's Twitter about apparent complete fabrication of the data in the study behind the recent episode on changing people's minds.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
That does it - nothing but David Sedaris and "aren't my Brooklynite friends quirky?" stories from now on.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh god. I really liked that episode too.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

hope and vaseline posted:

Oh god. I really liked that episode too.

Man, TAL just can't get a break. :smith:

Another redaction episode?

This week's episode was pretty good, though. The suicide group with the kids was not happy fun times, got me choked up. Very sad stuff.

Next week's sounds interesting too.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Welp, all sign reall point to fake data.

You don't 'accidentally' delete your raw data. This seems to be a pattern in fake science: primary data is lost. Only one of the authors of the paper ever looked at it. The faker claims that the data is real and was collected properly.

See the recent case where a Japanese team claimed to be able to turn any cell into a stem cell with a simple acid treatment. That was published in Nature and is now redacted.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Snuffman posted:

Man, TAL just can't get a break. :smith:

Another redaction episode?

To be fair, this is a bit different. The people TAL were talking to were defrauded by a third party. Still messes up the story, but not TAL's fault.

Veering slightly off topic, I'm always puzzled by these cases of high profile scientific fraud. Fraud in the small scale, sure: massage some data, tinker with results, alter a few minor details. No one will notice. But when you claim to have made a superconductor or stem cell, people are going to pay attention. They'll try to repeat your work. You're going to get caught.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I had a professor who was publicly ousted for mass plagiarism. He'd been on the NYT bestseller list and written many seminal mass-market books on his field. The whole thing seemed very weird and pathological to me, as he could have simply quoted the other authors in his work. He was basically borrowing sentences and short paragraphs from other people, over a period of 20-30 years and got in an early version of an online kerfuffle. Someone looked into his work, publicly disgraced, fired on the spot.

What's funny is his books are still good. There was nothing wrong with them in the first place. For some reason he was just fond of attributing work to himself that was directly quoted from other authors, and even though it made up a small portion of his total output it was pretty much omnipresent throughout his academic career. But it's not like these were academic books, even - he wrote stuff published by Penguin and Random House.

Anyway the whys and wherefores of phd students is beyond most people - I have known grad students who went completely off the deep end in a wide variety of ways.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

bad day posted:

I had a professor who was publicly ousted for mass plagiarism. He'd been on the NYT bestseller list and written many seminal mass-market books on his field.

Why'd you out the man?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Looks like they changed things around around the middle of last year. At least for the episodes I've been testing it with.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If anyone likes those episodes of TAL where they talk to some small minority of America, you might want to check out State of the Reunion, which sadly just had its last episode. I'm pretty bummed about it, but hopefully someone will like it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

GrandpaPants posted:

If anyone likes those episodes of TAL where they talk to some small minority of America, you might want to check out State of the Reunion, which sadly just had its last episode. I'm pretty bummed about it, but hopefully someone will like it.

This looks really neat. Thanks for sharing it!

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Former TAL producer Starlee Kine has a new podcast up called Mystery Show that seems to be a pretty decompressed version of the kind of stuff she used to do on the show. She sets out, ostensibly to 'solve' a mystery (In Episode 1 it's the sudden closure of a video rental shop in Manhattan) but the story is really more about her meandering around, talking to members of the public, that sort of thing. It's done by Gimlet, a startup founded by the Planet Money people, which a lot of This American Life people apparently jumped to.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Republican Vampire posted:

Former TAL producer Starlee Kine has a new podcast up called Mystery Show that seems to be a pretty decompressed version of the kind of stuff she used to do on the show. She sets out, ostensibly to 'solve' a mystery (In Episode 1 it's the sudden closure of a video rental shop in Manhattan) but the story is really more about her meandering around, talking to members of the public, that sort of thing. It's done by Gimlet, a startup founded by the Planet Money people, which a lot of This American Life people apparently jumped to.
I listened to the first episode today as it was featured on the Start Up podcast (the podcast about the launch of Gimlet, if anyone doesn't know). I was sort of enjoying it as it was billed, solving minor unimportant mysteries in people's lives. Then it took the specific turn where she said (something along the lines of) "so it was then that I realised - the real mystery here wasn't about a video store, the real mystery was why do people do the things that they do?".

It really made me groan because it was the most hokey, This American Life-y crowbar ever, in the middle of a tedious section about some guy watching Fellini films. I think a sad cello even started playing in the background to give it that real extra depth.

I'll give the next episode a go, but I'm not interested if every episode tries to turn itself into a philosophical question, I'd genuinely prefer an actual mystery show.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 31, 2015

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
double post

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

It's definitely not an actual mystery show, and it is really hokey. The second episode is kind of dominated by a lengthy section where she talks to a ticketmaster employee about self-esteem and Britney Spears.

In both the mystery is really secondary to Kine just talking to normal people 'bout stuff. That's part of why I like it. It harkens back to the kind of directionless, almost ambient stuff that used to make up a decent proportion of their segments.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Hoops posted:

I listened to the first episode today as it was featured on the Start Up podcast (the podcast about the launch of Gimlet, if anyone doesn't know). I was sort of enjoying it as it was billed, solving minor unimportant mysteries in people's lives. Then it took the specific turn where she said (something along the lines of) "so it was then that I realised - the real mystery here wasn't about a video store, the real mystery was why do people do the things that they do?".

It really made me groan because it was the most hokey, This American Life-y crowbar ever, in the middle of a tedious section about some guy watching Fellini films. I think a sad cello even started playing in the background to give it that real extra depth.

I'll give the next episode a go, but I'm not interested if every episode tries to turn itself into a philosophical question, I'd genuinely prefer an actual mystery show.

I think that she's 100% self aware about the weird conceptual turn. It's amazing. Like admitting that sarah koenig, rather than adnan, was the focus of serial all along. The gimlet stuff has been so much more interesting that this American life lately.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

In both the mystery is really secondary to Kine just talking to normal people 'bout stuff. That's part of why I like it. It harkens back to the kind of directionless, almost ambient stuff that used to make up a decent proportion of their segments.

just listened to the first two shows, and it's good old slice of life NPR style. not much substance, but very nice to listen to while doing the dishes or waiting for the subway.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

It's definitely not an actual mystery show, and it is really hokey. The second episode is kind of dominated by a lengthy section where she talks to a ticketmaster employee about self-esteem and Britney Spears.

I love listening to her talk though. :3: So I loved the first episode, and will keep listening.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've been trying to google it and haven't had much luck. What was the episode where they interviewed a 30-some programmer that joins the army and goes through boot camp?

All I really remember about it is that the guy kept mentioning how after going through it, all he wanted to do was go out and kill someone.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

I've been trying to google it and haven't had much luck. What was the episode where they interviewed a 30-some programmer that joins the army and goes through boot camp?

All I really remember about it is that the guy kept mentioning how after going through it, all he wanted to do was go out and kill someone.

This one I think: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/515/good-guys?act=4#play

That dude sure seemed like he was weird to begin with, he was super wrapped up in his identity as a modern good-guy liberal who reads slate thinkpieces but then he was also all 'GOTTA KILL THE BROWNS,' right?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Was that "Game Face" episode really weak? A group of tourists get stuck on a glacier overnight and have a lovely time. A comedian has a few mediocre shows. It's like they collected all the B-side stories that wouldn't fit anywhere else and shoved them together.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

You shut your mouth, Tig Notaro is a national treasure.

OK that wasn't the best piece but still!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

outlier posted:

Was that "Game Face" episode really weak? A group of tourists get stuck on a glacier overnight and have a lovely time. A comedian has a few mediocre shows. It's like they collected all the B-side stories that wouldn't fit anywhere else and shoved them together.

The segment about the hockey player was pretty good, and I like it whenever This American Life plays Tig Nitaro.

I honestly think this week's episode is kinda weak, especially 21 Chump Street, which is my least favorite segment ever.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The segment about the hockey player was pretty good, and I like it whenever This American Life plays Tig Nitaro.

I honestly think this week's episode is kinda weak, especially 21 Chump Street, which is my least favorite segment ever.

You haven't listened to enough episodes. In the early days (episodes 30-39) there were no less than three segments devoted to some guy that had a phone line where people could call in and scream. Whole segments of people just screaming as recorded on some answering machine. Or that whole episode about William Burroughs.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

X-Ray Pecs posted:

What?! You're crazy. 21 Chump St is literally one of the best things they've ever done, and the musical version is catchy as poo poo.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Captain's Log (last week's episode, now) felt like a classic TAL episode, complete with a terrible short story that seems to have a grand sweep of themes and symbolism and ultimately says almost nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

They did a repeat of the Super, so I listened to it to see what the deal was. Holy drat :stare:.

• Locked thread